• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Dalibor68

Banned
So far I'm really happy with my PS4 Pro.

Uncharted 4 looks absolutely amazing, propably some of the, if not THE best graphics of this year even with me having a relatively high-end PC as well. The vibrant colours and little details are just amazing.

Infamous: Second Son also looks amazing most of the time, much better than I would have anticipated.

Until Dawn, while you could feel that it was sub-30fps, is also just an absolutely amazing game.

For XMAS I'll get The Order (mainly interested in the setting and graphics) and then later on maybe Ratchet & Clank and Killzone.

Haven't decided yet whether I'll then wait for Horizon or sell the console (for profit, because I got it very cheap) before that and get a new one next black friday.

The only thing that's really annoying to me is that for some reason my little finger keeps going numb after some time with the PS4 controller. It was the same with the PS3 controller already. Never had this issue with the 360 controller.

legbone

how the firecuda perform on PS4 pro?
what the cheapest place to order from in except newegg?

so far mine has been doing well. i think the initial load time for mafia 3 is shorter but it could be placebo. i have had a couple crashes but i think that was more mafia 3's fault then the drive since i haven't had any other games crash on me. there has been some hitching in the xmb but i think it might be due to the fact that i have so much stuff on my xmb without folders (about 1.5 tb of stuff). as for your second question, i can't help. i couldn't find it anywhere but newegg when i went looking. and i got mine for 120.99 so i can't complain too much.

JohngPR

They recently updated both inFamous games and it now has a contrast toggle in the options menu. This works great for those that were getting crushed blacks or thought that the image was too dark when having HDR on. Seems about perfect now when set to low.

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a thread with all pro patched games? I did a search and cant seem to find anything. Thanks.

Formosa

Has anyone experienced flickering with the PRO? I have a Sony X930D 4K HDR TV hooked up with the PRO and the screen would blink once in a while when I am playing a game (HDR and non HDR). All settings are set to Automatic on the PRO.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Has anyone experienced flickering with the PRO? I have a Sony X930D 4K HDR TV hooked up with the PRO and the screen would blink once in a while when I am playing a game (HDR and non HDR). All settings are set to Automatic on the PRO.

No I haven't had that happen, but it sounds like an HDMI handshake issue to me. Try the obvious first....make sure your HDMI cable connection is nice and secure, and if it still happens, maybe try connecting your PS4 to a different HDMI input on the tv. If you can't get rid of it at all after all that, it may be a firmware issue with your tv. As you may or may not be aware, there have been many different HDCP issues with the Pro and various tv makers since the Pro has come out, and even now, not all of them have been resolved yet.

TMC

I plan on using the Pro with a 1080p set. I would like to take advantage of supersampling when possible. I know the Pro comes with an HDMI 2.0 cable. Will I also need another HDMI 2.0 cable for the PS VR pass through? Pretty sure I only have a 1.3 cable connected to it.

Thanks guys!

I plan on using the Pro with a 1080p set. I would like to take advantage of supersampling when possible. I know the Pro comes with an HDMI 2.0 cable. Will I also need another HDMI 2.0 cable for the PS VR pass through? Pretty sure I only have a 1.3 cable connected to it.

Thanks guys!

I don't think you need to worry about HDMI 2.0 cables. Should be fine.
The only thing I'd worry about is PSVR doesn't allow HDR to pass through, if you have a HDR capable set. It's a bit annoying switching the cables if that's the case.

Chime in others who are more tech savvy.

Apt101

Fantastic. HDR looks absolutely amazing. Interesting thing is I actually had my TV set up wrong for HDR. I only corrected for it yesterday. It was glorious.

*apparently in order to get proper HDR backlight has to be set to max. Mine wasn't.

Yep, I have a LG. I played for many hours with HDR on "Bright". I switched it to "Vivid" (the highest setting) and it was like a whole plethora of new, vibrant colors popped. Even their skin and clothes looked more detailed, and visual effects were better.

Melchiah

I'm thinking about exchanging the Pro due to the fan noise. So, I presume there's no problem to do the data transfer again from the original PS4? Should it be set back to primary before doing it? What about formattting the Pro, is the initialisation process all that I need to do to erase all my data from it? Lastly, do I need to deactivate the Pro in the Sony Entertainment Network website?

Shadoken

So I was playing VR worlds the other day and the TV screen was flickering and going black at times. No issues for the person viewing the VR though. Has anyone had this issue before?

Do you guys think its an issue with the HDMI bypass on the PSVR. It has never really happened before so i dont know wtf could have caused it. Any potential heating issue?

TV was an LG 4k UH7700. I also got the updated firmware , so I can run HDCP 2.2 when I connect it directly , however PSVR turns it down to 1.4 thanks to the dumb breakout box pass through.

It's next to impossible to play MLB The Show using meter pitching after I upgraded to the Pro and got the new DS4 controller, the reaction time to button presses for the accuracy part of throwing doesn't register. Tried on 2 different new DS4 controllers one from the system and another bought separately

EmiPrime

I wonder if just pushing out a patch that enables the Neo flag would be enough to fix Until Dawn's frame rate. While a higher resolution and HDR update would be nice I would settle for the former.

Please Sony just let us do this ourselves

Lady Gaia

Whats a good hard drive to buy thats between 2 and 3gb thats not very expensive?

You're looking for a 2TB drive, not a 2GB drive. There are no 3TB hard drives that meet the height restrictions of the PS4 at the moment — and the Pro is no different. I bought mine a few years back so the models have changed and I don't have a specific current recommendation, but it has to be 9.5mm tall or less.

Arlen777

So I was playing VR worlds the other day and the TV screen was flickering and going black at times. No issues for the person viewing the VR though. Has anyone had this issue before?

Do you guys think its an issue with the HDMI bypass on the PSVR. It has never really happened before so i dont know wtf could have caused it. Any potential heating issue?

TV was an LG 4k UH7700. I also got the updated firmware , so I can run HDCP 2.2 when I connect it directly , however PSVR turns it down to 1.4 thanks to the dumb breakout box pass through.

Mine started doing same thing, screen goes black for 2 seconds. Didn't happen before, although before it was connected straight to the tv, now its through psvr box.
Tv samsung KU6300

EL CUCO

I noticed my 1080p TV recently started dimming the display after about 10 seconds of the Pro being on. When a power on the TV the display nice and bright, and then it gradually dims. I have everything set to off in game mode. Nothing has changed in the settings.

What do you guys think it could be?

Ilmyr

Just wanted to give my impression of the PS4 Pro. I picked it up two weeks ago, bundled with Watch Dogs 2.

In 2013 i bought the first PS4, refunded it 2 months later after trying the repair-service and another replacement device because the thing was too damn loud!
I avoided CUH-12XX due to lack of interest that time and skipped the Slim knowing the Pro is on the doorstep.

The wait was worth it!
Watch Dogs 2 looks brilliant on a 4K TV (Samsung 55" SUHD JS8090) and it runs very smooth. And to be honest i was expecting the console to be almost as loud as the first PS4 (especially after reading some noise complaints on NeoGAF). So i cannot confirm it. The console is silent most of the time, up to just little fan noise during longer plays.

I managed to buy a sealed game bundle on Ebay (56€) containing Driveclub, Ratched & Clank and Uncharted 4. Last two look "Wow!", simply amazing in 4K and the console is still quiet.

The only reason i actually wanted to buy a PS4 was Bloodborne. So i picked that up too ^^. No need to describe how good this game is... it could benefit from a Pro patch though.

Actually i'm a PC gamer. I can tell that i haven't played on PC since i have the Pro. It somehow amazes me like the N64 did. 4K and HDR is just too good. It's a good console and i'm very happy. :)

Lady Gaia

Nope :( Maybe they add it at some point so stuff looks nice on my 1440p monitor.

I'd be very surprised if they did since I expect the vast majority of consumers are using consoles with televisions instead of monitors. You might be better off looking for a dedicated device that can accept a 4k signal and downsample to 1440p.

UrSuLeTzU

Sony support is absolut shit. I got my PRO week one and it worked in 4K with my DELL 4K monitor(I use that and a 1080p tv) then they fucked shit up since firmware update 4.4(none of the fixes work and I can't do anything because it's a fucking monitor and can't receive firmware updates) and 4K isn't working anymore and at this point I will be surprised if it ever will for people will older tvs and pc monitors... I will never forgive Sony for doing this crap and forcing me to play FFXV and TLG(ok maybe this was better at 1080p 30fps) in 1080p, FUCK.

mitchman

Gold Member
Sony support is absolut shit. I got my PRO week one and it worked in 4K with my DELL 4K monitor(I use that and a 1080p tv) then they fucked shit up since firmware update 4.4(none of the fixes work and I can't do anything because it's a fucking monitor and can't receive firmware updates) and 4K isn't working anymore and at this point I will be surprised if it ever will for people will older tvs and pc monitors... I will never forgive Sony for doing this crap and forcing me to play FFXV and TLG(ok maybe this was better at 1080p 30fps) in 1080p, FUCK.

Try setting the console to use 2160p YUV 4:2:0 and disable HDCP.

I wish I had any sort of knowledge when it came to what 4K TV to get. I know HDR seems to be very important? I'm just looking for a 50" that is under $800.

Am I better off waiting a few more months before I pick up the Pro? Are the issues people having hit or miss?

UrSuLeTzU

Try setting the console to use 2160p YUV 4:2:0 and disable HDCP.

Both 4k settings are greyed out and I tried all the known fixes including disabling HDCP from the system tab but nothing works and Sony be like: "Please understand! This is not a priority for us so thank you for being an early adopter and DEAL WITH IT" smh.

Lady Gaia

Both 4k settings are greyed out and I tried all the known fixes including disabling HDCP from the system tab but nothing works and Sony be like: "Please understand! This is not a priority for us so thank you for being an early adopter and DEAL WITH IT" smh.

Are you just looking to vent, or would you actually like suggestions? HDMI is a complex standard. As always, trying to accommodate the various half-baked interpretations in different displays makes it difficult if not impossible to ensure compatibility out of the box in every case. Some people have had luck starting in safe mode to defeat HDCP or force HDCP 1.4.

Good luck! I hope you get back up and running before long.

Quick question.

If I start a Pro game while it's downloading will it be Pro enhanced or do you have to wait for the whole game to be downloaded for it to be patched in?

Maybe it varies from title to title.

UrSuLeTzU

Are you just looking to vent, or would you actually like suggestions? HDMI is a complex standard. As always, trying to accommodate the various half-baked interpretations in different displays makes it difficult if not impossible to ensure compatibility out of the box in every case. Some people have had luck starting in safe mode to defeat HDCP or force HDCP 1.4.

Good luck! I hope you get back up and running before long.

Well, that would be correct if it wouldn't have worked at all but it was working up until firmware update 4.4 and the latest firmware(4.7) did nothing to adress this problem. Sure, I would like suggestions but I already lost hours doing the safe mode stuff with a couple different cables(including the one from Sony). I'm just afraid this won't get fixed soon(as before x-mas or even by the end of the year) and I'm not planning on upgrading my tv to 4k just yet.

Shadoken

Mine started doing same thing, screen goes black for 2 seconds. Didn't happen before, although before it was connected straight to the tv, now its through psvr box.
Tv samsung KU6300

Fuck.... I hope its not a problem with just our units. Man why do i always get baited to buy stuff at launch :/

So uh, I got ethernet cables and plugged my Pro in, and it's still just as slow as it was with WiFi (3-8Mbps). Anything going on here that I'm not aware of? Because everything else wired in and on WiFi is doing fine (100Mbps without issues)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So I caved and picked up a Pro. I was sick of how annoyingly loud my original PS4 was and holy shit is it a night and day difference for me. It's as quiet as my XB1, whereas my old PS4 was louder than early 360s. Been going through Deus Ex and I don't know if it's a placebo effect or what, but the IQ looks so clean on a Pro, as does Ratchet and Clank. Hopefully supersampling gets added back to TLOU.

Top Bottom