• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

So uh, I got ethernet cables and plugged my Pro in, and it's still just as slow as it was with WiFi (3-8Mbps). Anything going on here that I'm not aware of? Because everything else wired in and on WiFi is doing fine (100Mbps without issues)

Huh, maybe it's fixed itself since then. Remote play at 1080p/60FPS seems to be working perfectly save for occasional artifacts.

So I caved and picked up a Pro. I was sick of how annoying loud my original PS4 was and holy shit is it a night and day difference for me. It's as quiet as my XB1, whereas my old PS4 was louder than early 360s. Been going through Deus Ex and I don't know if it's a placebo effect or what, but the IQ looks so clean on a Pro, as does Ratchet and Clank. Hopefully supersampling gets added back to TLOU.

Those games have Pro enhancements so it's not placeo.

Mullah88

looking to buy the 50 inch samsung ku6300, it rated well on rtings but people are reporting problems after a couple of weeks of ownership. what other models are good for hdr gaming and gaming in general? i've read hisense is a good one too...help please

I have no doubt the PS4 Pro is my favorite console and an amazing achievement with 4K TVs.

Playing Final Fantasy XV, Watch Dogs 2, The Last Guardian, even old titles like Shadows of Mordor and Infamous made me realize how much image quality is important, specifically when the art is good.

Sadly, I'm out of games right now and feeling a bit out of support.

I'm out of Multiplayer games for some time, so only single player games are on my sight, so games that I already beat like Battlefield 1, both Call of Duty, Titanfall 2 won't get my attention again (Titanfall 2 being the only exception since the campaign is awesome)

I'm thinking of Deus Ex but seems so boring...

I wish Battlefront had a Pro Patch (yeah, I know it's Multiplayer, but it's fun and casual, played 6 months of Overwatch on PC and I'm kind of burned of serious Multiplayer)

Any recommendations for a 4K TV user? AssCreed Syndicate was on my backlog, but... It looks so bad at the moment.

Fuck.... I hope its not a problem with just our units. Man why do i always get baited to buy stuff at launch :/

I had that too. Looks like the TV was trying to switch resolution.
What solved it for me was going to system settings (while in VR) and setting output resolution to 1080p. Nice and stable now.

Another solution could be using a latest rev HDMI cable for your PSVR connection.

Target has had a few 10-15% off deals in which you could apply a general coupon to the purchase, and get a further 5% off by paying with a Target Red Card.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the wishlist deal, but didn't think it was still active. As to the Red Card, I don't really want to get another credit card just for this to get another 5% off. It is a credit card and/or would impact my credit score, right? I'm way too cautious about keeping a good score.

Is the 10% wishlist deal what you were referring to? Or is there another way to get 10-15% off?

eastx

Thanks. I'm familiar with the wishlist deal, but didn't think it was still active. As to the Red Card, I don't really want to get another credit card just for this to get another 5% off. It is a credit card and/or would impact my credit score, right? I'm way too cautious about keeping a good score.

Is the 10% wishlist deal what you were referring to? Or is there another way to get 10-15% off?

There have been one or two coupons in addition to the wishlist one (the coupons weren't stackable). I don't know if there's another one now.

Target has an option to get a debit card, which still allows you to get the discount without being a real credit card. That's what we used to get the deal.

My pro was doing this the other night.

IMG_1280.jpg

Looks like a broken graphics card but to be honest I have no clue. Started working properly again after 4 or 5 boot ups and has worked fine the last few sessions. I'm still within my window for an exchange and may just do so. Anyone more knowledgeable wanna chime in on this?

Theonik

Looks like a broken graphics card but to be honest I have no clue. Started working properly again after 4 or 5 boot ups and has worked fine the last few sessions. I'm still within my window for an exchange and may just do so. Anyone more knowledgeable wanna chime in on this?
Could be a faulty GPU, or HDMI cable/connection. If it does this often consider RMA.
is inserting the HDMI cable unusually hard? are both ends inserted firmly? Does your TV support HDCP2.2?

Hey guys, i'm thinking of selling my OG PS4 in order to buy the Pro, but i don't have a 4K TV.I will eventually buy one (probably next year), so i wanted to ask, is it still worth it or should I wait?
1080p TV Pro Gaf owners what do you think :)?

derFeef

I finally managed to get in an order at Amazon, it said delivery for January 2.
I really should have kept my preorder I had since August, lol.

Lazy Lemmy

Neo Member

Don't think, just exchange. You have photo proof, so no problem. The last thing you want is for it to go bad outside of exchange period

dealer-

Hey guys, i'm thinking of selling my OG PS4 in order to buy the Pro, but i don't have a 4K TV.I will eventually buy one (probably next year), so i wanted to ask, is it still worth it or should I wait?

There are quite a few quality of life improvements over the OG even before taking into the account the better performance.

If you are going to get a 4K TV next year I'd say yes. You get improvements now on a 1080p set and then it will be like another upgrade next year when you access higher resolutions.

L.O.R.D

1TB version of that drive is SSHD and has 8GB NAND. 2TB version is Baracuda HDD with no NAND.

a normal Baracuda HHD? weird
oh,it seems the 2TB not released yet,so no one know if it's really SSHD or HDD.
but right now the 1TB version of this is like the firecuda?

So I don't think the OP really answered this, but I got a Pro and am about to start playing The Last Guardian. I have just a regular 1080p TV. Do I need to do anything in the settings to maximize my Pro-ness, or will it be automatic?

Melchiah

I was in contact with a local store chain yesterday about possibly exchanging the system, and to my surprise I got this text message that stated the Pros are sold out in Finnish Prisma stores. Dunno if it meant the Helsinki area, or all their stores across Finland.

EGSU0Fel.jpg

The last sentence translated: "Pro version is now sold out, so there isn't any available for exchange."

I'm not sure, if I'll be exchanging it, and what my options are if they're sold out, but apparently the demand is pretty high here, or there weren't many systems available in the first place.

I was in contact with Sony about it as well, but they only said it's normal the fan is louder when the system is put to stress with Pro-patched games, and told me to make sure there's enough room for ventilation. The thing is, it's louder when I'm in the game menus, like Tomb Raider's campfires, than actually playing the games. And there's a plenty of room for ventilation:
FjFXtCil.jpg

So I don't think the OP really answered this, but I got a Pro and am about to start playing The Last Guardian. I have just a regular 1080p TV. Do I need to do anything in the settings to maximize my Pro-ness, or will it be automatic?
Most Pro games will automatically use the highest settings the attached display can handle. Some do have multiple modes to choose from in game, but Last Guardian isn't one of those.

If you're curious which do, you can check my thread of all released games with Pro support.

Vashetti

Banned
I was in contact with Sony about it as well, but they only said it's normal the fan is louder when the system is put to stress with Pro-patched games, and told me to make sure there's enough room for ventilation. The thing is, it's louder when I'm in the game menus, like Tomb Raider's campfires, than actually playing the games.

That's because Tomb Raider (and many other games) have unlocked framerate in the menus, so it's going well beyond 60fps in the menus and causing unnecessary strain on the system.

I've no idea why devs do it.

Matty8787

I did exactly that and so far? Yes I think it is worth it! I play FFXV in high mode which I believe is 1800p downsampled to 1080p on my screen (I believe that is how it works?)

But not only am I now future proofed for when I do buy a 4k tv but some of the games look/play better already and I think the more games come out the better off 1080p users will be with a pro.

In short - Get one.

Ryde3

when testing games on my new LG OLED TV, I felt like Full RGB range gave me crushed blacks but limited was perfect, automatic didn't seem to correctly detect anything. Is this normal?

Melchiah

That's because Tomb Raider (and many other games) have unlocked framerate in the menus, so it's going well beyond 60fps in the menus and causing unnecessary strain on the system.

I've no idea why devs do it.

The same applies to Uncharted 4, when I've went back to the menu to select another chapter/encounter. Hopefully, that'll be fixed at some point. Since that's the main contributor on the fan volume, I think I'll be keeping the one I have.

I'm using my PS4 Pro on an older Panasonic Plasma 1080p TV. And recently we have been having an issue where if we switch from Netflix to another app, and then switch back, we get an error message that says "Cannot start the application with this TV, because it was started with another display. Please close the application and restart." Then after this, we get a black screen and have to reboot the console. It sounds like a weird HDMI thing, should I try switching out the cables first?

holygeesus

Banned
when testing games on my new LG OLED TV, I felt like Full RGB range gave me crushed blacks but limited was perfect, automatic didn't seem to correctly detect anything. Is this normal?

Yes. I have to set it to limited on mine too. Automatic doesn't work correctly.

Humdinger

This question gets asked a lot. I agree with what the two guys above (Matty, zuf) said. It's worth it at 1080p, not only for the image bump but also other factors. And when you get a 4K TV, it'll be even more of an upgrade. Well worth it. Some disagree, however. My general answer is "it depends" on a variety of factors, including how sensitive you are to IQ, how important that is, how much you play your PS4, and how much $250 means to you.

You can check here for a variety of opinion:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310043

Hi GAF - not sure if this is the right place for this but I will try anyway. I have a Vizio M55 C2 and it has one 4K 60hz input and multiple 4K 30hz inputs. I have both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S. Do both consoles need that 60hz port? I just want to get the best out of both consoles with this TV without having to switch the HDMI cord every time. And yes I am aware that this TV does not have HDR.

Thanks!

farisr

Hi GAF - not sure if this is the right place for this but I will try anyway. I have a Vizio M55 C2 and it has one 4K 60hz input and multiple 4K 30hz inputs. I have both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S. Do both consoles need that 60hz port? I just want to get the best out of both consoles with this TV without having to switch the HDMI cord every time. And yes I am aware that this TV does not have HDR.

Thanks!
Put the pro on the 4k 60hz input. The Xbox one s games don't need more than 1080p 60hz (which the 4k 30hz input can do). Plus it should also be able to handle the UHD Blu-ray that run at 4k@24hz.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So my 4ktv doesnt support HDR but 2160 YUV makes colors/contrast pop a lot more than if I were to set it to 1080p mode.

Is that normal?

I can't imagine the improvement if I were to have HDR.

holygeesus

Banned
Has anyone gone from a SSHD to a SSD? Is it worth the significant outlay? I'm not worried about space, as I tend to only download (or install) the games I'm playing, but would still like 500GB as a minimum.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
a normal Baracuda HHD? weird
oh,it seems the 2TB not released yet,so no one know if it's really SSHD or HDD.
but right now the 1TB version of this is like the firecuda?
As far as I know, 2TB version of "Game Drive" is available, and it is exactly the same thing as normal HDD Baracuda (no NAND). 1TB version is like the older ST1000LM014, which I'm not sure if it's different than newer 1TB Firecuda, but they both have 8GB NAND. Note that if you switch between the 1TB/2TB buttons on the Amazon page, you can see that only the 1TB version has the NAND bulletpoint in the description.

Bottom line is, if you want 2TB SHDD for PS4, you need to go with Firecuda at the moment, which is about $30 more expensive than 2TB Baracuda.

The thing is, it's louder when I'm in the game menus, like Tomb Raider's campfires, than actually playing the games. And there's a plenty of room for ventilation
That is actually normal, and with plenty of games fan kicks higher when you are in the menu, no matter what PS4 model you use. I'm not saying it's at all smart that the games are programmed that way, but it is perfectly matching my experience and that of other people who voiced about it.

That said, if your Pro is louder than your old PS4 when playing matched games (or even just as loud), exchange it - that's not normal at all. I've tested noise levels in fully patched UC4 on PS4 vs Pro. There's no comparison - regular PS4 level noise is like a jet engine compared to Pro which gets nowhere near as loud even in most stressful situations. Same thing with full patched I:SS running in unlocked framerate on both.

farisr

My tv?

Samsung UN65HU8550
just checking up, it seems to have a 10 bit panel, so possibly you're going from 8bit to 10 bit color and noticing the difference because of that, don't know.

Also possible that maybe your normal color range settings for 1080p are not correct, and when you switch to that 2160p yuv mode, it gets corrected.

And maybe one more possibility, maybe the color settings are correct on 1080p and incorrect on 2160 and you're one of the people who prefers the visuals to have the "pop" that the incorrect, crushed black settings provide. Lol.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
just checking up, it seems to have a 10 bit panel, so possibly you're going from 8bit to 10 bit color and noticing the difference because of that, don't know.

Also possible that maybe your normal color range settings for 1080p are not correct, and when you switch to that 2160p yuv mode, it gets corrected.

I see, thanks for that explanation!

I want to buy the Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit for HDR on the same tv but I'm not sure I can justify the price right now.

Melchiah

That is actually normal, and with plenty of games fan kicks higher when you are in the menu, no matter what PS4 model you use. I'm not saying it's at all smart that the games are programmed that way, but it is perfectly matching my experience and that of other people who voiced about it.

Yeah, I've noticed that with games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, but the volume increase is noticeably louder on the Pro, particularly with Uncharted 4. It's pretty annoying in Tomb Raider as well, when the fan ramps up every time I'm upgrading at the campfires. Is it loud for you when you're in the game menus?

It's somewhat reassuring to know it's normal though, as it means I won't have to exchange the system, and go through data transfer and game downloads/installs again.

EDIT: Missed your edit.

That said, if your Pro is louder than your old PS4 when playing matched games (or even just as loud), exchange it - that's not normal at all. I've tested noise levels in fully patched UC4 on PS4 vs Pro. There's no comparison - regular PS4 level noise is like a jet engine compared to Pro which gets nowhere near as loud even in most stressful situations. Same thing with full patched I:SS running in unlocked framerate on both.

My Pro is more silent than the original in unpatched games, but more loud when playing something like Uncharted 4.* To my recollection Infamous wasn't that bad, when I tried it once on the Pro.

And now I'm back to hesitating about keeping it. =D

* EDIT.2: Although, I haven't tested UC4 without moving from chapter to chapter via the menu. Doing that always increases the fan volume.

My Pro is more silent than the original in unpatched games, but more loud when playing something like Uncharted 4.* To my recollection Infamous wasn't that bad, when I tried it once on the Pro.

That was my experience. When the system is actually using it's capabilities beyond a normal PS4, it was too loud to my ears. Although it varied depending on the game. FFXV made me take the Pro back, and now I'm thinking whether I even want another one or just keep using my PS4 Slim until maybe 6 months from now and hope things stabilize in manufacturing.

gpn

I've only got a 1080p TV, and pretty much the only game I've been playing since I upgraded to the pro is the Skyrim remaster, but I'd say it's worth it. Skyrim looks a lot better on the pro than the OG PS4, details are clearer on a lot of things and I can make things out better from farther away for my crossbow sniping.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

I definitely think Pro is worth the upgrade even if youre only on a 1080p display. The improvements in titles like Last Guardian, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 are pretty significant.

The important thing to keep in mind is that most if not all PS4 games will have Pro modes from here on out. You arent just getting a Pro to see improvements in a handful of games now, youre gonna see improvements in most games in the future.

Melchiah

That was my experience. When the system is actually using it's capabilities beyond a normal PS4, it was too loud to my ears. Although it varied depending on the game. FFXV made me take the Pro back, and now I'm thinking whether I even want another one or just keep using my PS4 Slim until maybe 6 months from now and hope things stabilize in manufacturing.

Well, like I said, it's not that bad during gameplay and outside of menus in Tomb Raider, Infamous, and TLOU (when it was still supersampled on 1080p displays). UC4 seems to be the worst case, but I haven't really tested it without accessing the menu inbetween.

Top Bottom