• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

SURGEdude

That was my experience. When the system is actually using it's capabilities beyond a normal PS4, it was too loud to my ears. Although it varied depending on the game. FFXV made me take the Pro back, and now I'm thinking whether I even want another one or just keep using my PS4 Slim until maybe 6 months from now and hope things stabilize in manufacturing.

My issue isn't the overall output volume but the higher pitch on the Pro. The tone is far more piercing than the low hum on the OG fans. Haven't really played much on a slim to compare with that though.

In the future, I just won't pay full price for games, that don't offer supersampling, eventhough they run at 2160/1800p on 4K displays. Tomb Raider has supersampled and enriched modes, and after trying them both I preferred the former's visual improvement.
I fully agree that options are best. The issues with Pro patches are generally exaggerated in forum posts, but that one isn't. Devs should understand that users are smart enough to choose between two or three modes with different priorities that match their personal likes. This isn't driver-level tweaks or anything, just offering choice.

Ahh I've got an itch to scoop a PS4 again to play some exclusives and multiplats at least until Scorpio releases. Price doesn't seem to be budging on the Pro anytime soon, but these Slim deals keep getting better. So tempted to pull the trigger on a Slim, but I keep thinking maybe there will be a nice deal within the next couple of months on the Pro. Wishful thinking?

HooYaH

Ahh I've got an itch to scoop a PS4 again to play some exclusives and multiplats at least until Scorpio releases. Price doesn't seem to be budging on the Pro anytime soon, but these Slim deals keep getting better. So tempted to pull the trigger on a Slim, but I keep thinking maybe there will be a nice deal within the next couple of months on the Pro. Wishful thinking?

Wasn't the Pro like $325 a week ago?

SeeThree

Im looking to upgrade from my launch system. What are the chances up an upgrade trade in deal? Maybe in January?

Amazon has used PS4 Pro for $360. They will buy your launch console + 2 controllers for $189 making your total $171. That would probably be your best deal for awhile.

I bought a new Pro Sunday before cyber Monday for $340 and they finally paid me last night $204 for my Dualshock4 PS4 Launch Bundle. Mine ended up costing me $136. I bought the launch ps4 and the pro all with Amazon gift cards so technically all this shit was free.

Melchiah

I fully agree that options are best. The issues with Pro patches are generally exaggerated in forum posts, but that one isn't. Devs should understand that users are smart enough to choose between two or three modes with different priorities that match their personal likes. This isn't driver-level tweaks or anything, just offering choice.

Agreed. The choice is there for 4K users already.

Menome

My PS4 Pro arrived through the post today and its been refreshingly easy to transfer everything from my PS4.

Two basic questions:

1.) So long as my games are updated to the latest version, all improvements for a 1080p display will just work, yes? No hidden switches in the menus to toggle?

2.) Are there any new Settings options to play around with or be aware of for 1080p displays?

FrankWza

Zero IMO since there wasn't even a upgrade trade in deal when the Pro was released. Well atleast in USA.

Gamestop had one last week.

I traded mine in for 180 a week ago. Still not jonesing for a Pro. Will wait until a price drop or a good deal
Where? Gamestop?

Amazon has used PS4 Pro for $360. They will buy your launch console + 2 controllers for $189 making your total $171. That would probably be your best deal for awhile.

I bought a new Pro Sunday before cyber Monday for $340 and they finally paid me last night $204 for my Dualshock4 PS4 Launch Bundle. Mine ended up costing me $136. I bought the launch ps4 and the pro all with Amazon gift cards so technically all this shit was free.

Yeah i guess i may have to go that route so i can keep p.t. and do the easy transfer.

1.) So long as my games are updated to the latest version, all improvements for a 1080p display will just work, yes? No hidden switches in the menus to toggle?
Yes, they'll all just work. Some will give you choices in-game (e.g. focus on effects, on resolution, or on framerate?), while some will just always use the mode the dev thought best.

So that's it ! Bought my first gen 8 console, with a ps4 pro since thus afternoon. I still need to wait for christmas to use it, but i'm already building my game library. And i need some advice :).

Context:
Owner of amiga, ps1, dreamcast and ps3
Games i Played most on ps3: motorstorm pacific rift, ultra SF4, SSDHD, some R&C, solnier X2, wipeout hd
Games i enjoyed most on ps3: tier1 : heavy rain, god of war 3, dead space 2, journey, the walkind dead s1. Tier 2: uncharted 2, mgs4
I don't like in general fps.
1080p tv

List of ps4 games i plan to get
The last of us remastered
Bloodborne
Uncharted collection
Beyond 2 souls
Odin sphere
Deus ex mankind divided
Uncharted 4
Ratchet and clank
Divinity original sin
Dishonored 2
Unravel
Street fighter 5
Driveclub
Until dawn
The witness
Abzu
Bound
Grand theft Auto 5
Metal Gear Solid 5
Diablo 3 reaper of souls
Life is strange
Dark souls 3
Transistor
Resogun
Watch dogs 2
Rocket league
Inside
Valkyria chronicles remastered
Firewatch
Tomb raider anniversary
Gone home
Shovel knight
The binding of isaac
The walking dead saison 2
The wolf among us
The last guardian

Most anticipated games : detroit, god of war

So that's it ! Bought my first gen 8 console, with a ps4 pro since thus afternoon. I still need to wait for christmas to use it, but i'm already building my game library. And i need some advice :).

Context:
Owner of amiga, ps1, dreamcast and ps3
Games i Played most on ps3: motorstorm pacific rift, ultra SF4, SSDHD, some R&C, solnier X2, wipeout hd
Games i enjoyed most on ps3: tier1 : heavy rain, god of war 3, dead space 2, journey, the walkind dead s1. Tier 2: uncharted 2, mgs4
I don't like in general fps.
1080p tv

List of ps4 games i plan to get
The last of us remastered
Bloodborne
Uncharted collection
Beyond 2 souls
Odin sphere
Deus ex mankind divided
Uncharted 4
Ratchet and clank
Divinity original sin
Dishonored 2
Unravel
Street fighter 5
Driveclub
Until dawn
The witness
Abzu
Bound
Grand theft Auto 5
Metal Gear Solid 5
Diablo 3 reaper of souls
Life is strange
Dark souls 3
Transistor
Resogun
Watch dogs 2
Rocket league
Inside
Valkyria chronicles remastered
Firewatch
Tomb raider anniversary
Gone home
Shovel knight
The binding of isaac
The walking dead saison 2
The wolf among us
The last guardian

Most anticipated games : detroit, god of war

Get Gravity Rush 1 and 2 as well.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So what game shows the best difference between pro and OG? Not the game with the best graphics (uncharted) but the game that shows the most improvement? I assume tomb raider but i dont have it.

For science.

Apt101

So what game shows the best difference between pro and OG? Not the game with the best graphics (uncharted) but the game that shows the most improvement? I assume tomb raider but i dont have it.

For science.

If one is on a 1080p display, Ratchet and Clank is quite an amazing improvement. inFAMOUS: Second Son and First Light look amazing with HDR. The particle effects and surfaces. As a whole, I have to say these games running on a 4K display with HDR look about as good as most games I run downsampled to 1080p on my i7-4790, GTX 970 PC equipped PC.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is a thing?
For some people, it is. I remember there was a thread where someone complained that their controller just goes bonkers for a moment while playing MGSV, and some others joined voicing same issue with other games. It has to do with the interference from other devices you may have in the house, most likely, as many people don't have the issue (personally never had it on PS4 or now on Pro)

FrankWza

For some people, it is. I remember there was a thread where someone complained that their controller just goes bonkers for a moment while playing MGSV, and some others joined voicing same issue with other games. It has to do with the interference from other devices you may have in the house, most likely, as many people don't have the issue (personally never had it on PS4 or now on Pro)

I never noticed it. I thought for a second while playing ffxv that my l3 would stick but i was using it to sprint and ○ was supposed to be spriny and l3 is some auto sprint.

Yep, Gamestop. $175 plus an extra 5 because a manager earlier that week told me to come back and gave me some extra 5$ trade in card.

I missed it. Good deal

Fliesen

anyone using their pro with the vertical stand? any subjective difference on heat dissipation, noise output or .... well, looks?
thinking about putting the pro vertically and ever so slightly diagonally, hiding the psvr breakout box behind it.

legbone

Is it just me or does the power lead not fit very snugly in the back of the Pro?

not just you. i noticed it when i hooked it up. also noticed when i connected my old ps4 to the pro with a cat 6 cable that the pro didn't want to let go of the cable when i tried to disconnect it. thought i was going to pull the cable apart trying to get it out of the system. it was crazy. i suspect the quality control of the units may have been a little lax to get them out the door quicker. i have seen many issues online. and aside from it dropping connection to my wifi on initial boot (and that my be my new router that i just got, not sure) i have been lucky. but yeah, my power cable would fall out with a good hard shake. good thing i never move it.

Femto.

I checked the OP but couldn't find an answer.

So I'm selling my PS4 soon to upgrade to the Pro. Can I back up my hard drive to an external drive and then transfer it to the Pro? If I can, what's the process or can someone link me a page with instructions?
I obviously can't do the ethernet transfer since I will be selling my PS4.

_woLf

Has anyone had an issue where colors become separated an inch or so on big objects? I don't really know how to describe it.

Like there will be a person on the screen, then there is a bright blue silhouette of them an inch to the right and a bright pink silhouette to the left. Only does it for smell it second and then fixes itself, but very strange to see. Doesn't happen very often, but still once every couple of days.

Tv is a KS8000.

Melchiah

Thanks. Missed those ones.

Ethan Carter is also one the best looking games this gen. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture might also be to your taste, but be warned that its slow movement makes the exploring a bit tedious.

You, I like your taste.

n02H1f1l.jpg

holygeesus

Banned
Is it possible to just backup a few things? I just want to backup P.T. and game saves. Would be nice if I could do this without backing up the entire HDD.

It would be great if I could just put the HDD that is in my PS4 now into the PS4 Pro and it just worked haha.

I had to delete everything but the things I wanted to keep, then back up. Seems an arse about face way of doing things, but that is Sony for you.

Melchiah

Is it possible to just backup a few things? I just want to backup P.T. and game saves. Would be nice if I could do this without backing up the entire HDD.

It would be great if I could just put the HDD that is in my PS4 now into the PS4 Pro and it just worked haha.

You can't choose which games to backup, but the data transfer via network doesn't take long. It took me somewhere between 1-2 hours to transfer +300GBs of data.

Blizzje

Has anyone had an issue where colors become separated an inch or so on big objects? I don't really know how to describe it.

Like there will be a person on the screen, then there is a bright blue silhouette of them an inch to the right and a bright pink silhouette to the left. Only does it for smell it second and then fixes itself, but very strange to see. Doesn't happen very often, but still once every couple of days.

Tv is a KS8000.
Yep, have this too.
What settings are you using on your console?

Vorheez

Yo wtf my screen just went black for a few seconds while playing Battlefield. I've had my pro for a month and this is the first time it has happened. Has this happened for anyone else? Should I be concerned?

My TV is a Panasonic plasma too, by the way

Agreed. The choice is there for 4K users already.
Agreed.

What the hell, they still didn't fix that controller input lag spike with the Pro?
What spike input lag? Never heard of it.

Huh? Never experienced it but that soubds anoying.

Yo wtf my screen just went black for a few seconds while playing Battlefield. I've had my pro for a month and this is the first time it has happened. Has this happened for anyone else? Should I be concerned?

My TV is a Panasonic plasma too, by the way
No idea. There were more people with screen going black issues though. Maybe google those threads?
Maybe even type in your specific panny plasma.

Mezoly

Watch Dogs 2 is crashing every 20-30 minutes on my PS4 pro. I switched to offline and it still crashes. Anyone else had the same issues? any Fix?

Top Bottom