• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I did exactly that and so far? Yes I think it is worth it! I play FFXV in high mode which I believe is 1800p downsampled to 1080p on my screen (I believe that is how it works?)

But not only am I now future proofed for when I do buy a 4k tv but some of the games look/play better already and I think the more games come out the better off 1080p users will be with a pro.

In short - Get one.

Agreed. I've been very pleased with mine on a 1080p and have no plans to get a new TV anytime soon barring this one breaking. I was really impressed with how much better FFXV looked--I'm not sensitive to frame pacing issues so I was able to play on High as well. Ratchet and Clank looks noticeably better as well.

I'm sure later releases like Horizon that were more built from the ground up for both platforms will shine even more.

There's definitely a difference between auto with HDR on and YUV with HDR. It's not just automatically switching to YUV mode.

Not sure why, but my Sony Bravia gives me a lot more options in picture adjustment with force YUV HDR vs automatic.

MrMephistoX

I definitely think Pro is worth the upgrade even if youre only on a 1080p display. The improvements in titles like Last Guardian, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 are pretty significant.

The important thing to keep in mind is that most if not all PS4 games will have Pro modes from here on out. You arent just getting a Pro to see improvements in a handful of games now, youre gonna see improvements in most games in the future.

Plus it's apparently a huge improvement to VR: can't wait to try it on Xmas. I noticed a huge difference in performance and image even on my 1080p Sony set especially with FFXV and Last Guardian.

TMC

I am getting this next week for Christmas and have a question regarding the HDD. Should I use the HDD that comes with the system or the 1 TB SSHD in my current PS4? Just curious how I can back up P.T. if I decide to use my SSHD.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I thought the patch wasn't out yet.
https://twitter.com/mafiagame/status/806311730783469568

Will Mafia III support the PS4 Pro?

Yes, indeed! Should you purchase a PS4 Pro, Mafia III will support the platform with enhanced display support, as well as increased graphical fidelity and effects, including motion blur, depth of field, visual effects, and more.

edit:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226443107&postcount=65

1440p with better visual effects and motion blur, thanks to local GAF pixel counter Tagg9

Apt101

I hope Killzone Shadowfall gets a Pro patch. Despite the lukewarm reaction to the game on the Internet I loved it and would like to play the campaign again in 4K with HDR.

Fliesen

Sheesh, this console's gonna have great holiday sales, i feel.

It's pretty much sold out everywhere in Europe that i'd order it from (amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, EVERYWHERE in Austria - except for, you know, scalper shops that sell it at a 15-20% higher price)

It's kinda disappointing, since i held off ordering one because my parents are always in dire need of christmas present ideas. (and i have my girlfriend slip them hints as to what i want)

sadly, by the time they went looking for one, it's been sold out everywhere...
not a huge bummer, because i still got my OG PS4, but a bummer nonetheless.

I really didn't expect them not to be able to keep up with demand.

derFeef

It's pretty much sold out everywhere in Europe that i'd order it from (amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, EVERYWHERE in Austria - except for, you know, scalper shops that sell it at a 15-20% higher price)

It's kinda disappointing, since i held off ordering one because my parents are always in dire need of christmas present ideas. (and i have my girlfriend slip them hints as to what i want)

Austria here too, I almost gave up but Amazon had a small window yesterday and I ordered one. Should be here next week. Don't buy from scalper shops, lol.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

The PS4 Pro is widely available in the Netherlands. I suppose it's because Sinterklaas was two weeks ago and Christmas shopping is not a big thing.

Melchiah

Seems to be the same in Finland. Luckily, it was still available on 29.11, when the tax returns came, but now it's out of stock in at least two retail chains, Prisma and Verkkokauppa. The latter currently has -25 units on their website.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Won one from my apartments the other day. So far pretty unimpressed with it but I don't have that many Pro enhanced games. The Nier Automata demo running a solid 1080 60 with it is the first real benefit I'll see so far so to next week!

Fliesen

Austria here too, I almost gave up but Amazon had a small window yesterday and I ordered one. Should be here next week. Don't buy from scalper shops, lol.

weird, i keep checking Amazon for these small windows, but to me it just showed "399€ from Amazon, delivered by Jan 2, 2017", and now it's back to "new, starting at 479€"

My mom feels super bad about it, and while noone could have known that it would sell out, it's a recurring theme that, while i'm the one to take care of mom's presents for dad, dad's presents for mom, parents' presents for my brother, my presents for my girlfriend, unless i quite literally hold their hand in ordering what i'd like to be gifted, something ends up going wrong :p
It's become somewhat of a christmas tradition.

It's not like i'll be unable to play games during my christmas vacation days, but i'd have loved to play them in higher res; also i was planning on giving my old PS4 to my 'brother-in-law' (my girlfriend's brother) and it have been nicer and less awkward if that had happened over the christmas days, than some time in january :p

Buying one from the Netherlands is a bit iffy to me ... does Sony have global / EU wide warranty? If my 'dutch' PS4 encounters technical problems, will "Sony Austria" fix it for me?

derFeef

weird, i keep checking Amazon for these small windows, but to me it just showed "399€ from Amazon, delivered by Jan 2, 2017", and now it's back to "new, starting at 479€"

My mom feels super bad about it, and while noone could have known that it would sell out, it's a recurring theme that, while i'm the one to take care of mom's presents for dad, dad's presents for mom, parents' presents for my brother, my presents for my girlfriend, unless i quite literally hold their hand in ordering what i'd like to be gifted, something ends up going wrong :p
It's become somewhat of a christmas tradition.

It's not like i'll be unable to play games during my christmas vacation days, but i'd have loved to play them in higher res; also i was planning on giving my old PS4 to my 'brother-in-law' (my girlfriend's brother) and it have been nicer and less awkward if that had happened over the christmas days, than some time in january :p

Buying one from the Netherlands is a bit iffy to me ... does Sony have global / EU wide warranty? If my 'dutch' PS4 encounters technical problems, will "Sony Austria" fix it for me?

Yep that's the one I ordered. I did not expect it to arrive (and maybe it won't) next week. It was just a surprise to me and a little bonus! I only want to play Let it Die anyway right now ;)

Finally getting my Pro today!
Looking forward to playing TLG, been sitting on that a whole week.

Quick (dumb) question here-when putting in my old 2TB into the Pro can I have the re-initialization update on a regular external HDD? (that has my backup)

I read somewhere that you can only use a memory stick.

Edit: when turning on my Pro today with the new HDD should I boot up normally or the hold power button to switch on with two beeps?

mitchman

Gold Member
I see, thanks for that explanation!

I want to buy the Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit for HDR on the same tv but I'm not sure I can justify the price right now.

I got SEK-3500 on my aging F9000 2013 panel and it's well worth the upgrade to get HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 and HDR on all inputs. VP9 support for UHD on youtube is also glorious at high bitrate videos, and Netflix in 4k HDR doesn't hurt either.

Mookow

If you have 4K and HDR on in the OS settings is that enough for 4K mode in games? I popped Ratchet & Clank and there are no video options in game.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I got SEK-3500 on my aging F9000 2013 panel and it's well worth the upgrade to get HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 and HDR on all inputs. VP9 support for UHD on youtube is also glorious at high bitrate videos, and Netflix in 4k HDR doesn't hurt either.

Man just when I thought I didn't need it. I didn't even think gaf knew about the evo kit.

I think I would if I weren't moving in a few months, I'm not really sure what i'll be doing with my TV as I'm moving to another country. I'm currently awaiting 4k computer monitors w/ HDR because my living space will be dorm sized.

Were you able to get a decent price for it? It still seems super expensive for a tech item that came out so long ago.

Ixion

I bought my PS4 Pro and the first thing I did was play NBA 2K17 since I knew it was native 4K.

I definitely noticed the improved clarity, but then I tried moving closer and closer to the TV (55 inch) and I was amazed that the image didn't get blurrier the closer I got...but rather it got more and more detailed.

What a time to be alive.

Lady Gaia

OléGunner;226696310 said:
Quick (dumb) question here-when putting in my old 2TB into the Pro can I have the re-initialization update on a regular external HDD? (that has my backup)

Edit: when turning on my Pro today with the new HDD should I boot up normally or the hold power button to switch on with two beeps?

i used the same external hard drive that had my PS4 backup to install the operating system on my new hard disk, and that worked just fine. No need to explicitly boot in safe mode. Once you have a new drive installed the PS4 will automatically detect it for you and prompt to format it and install the OS when you turn it on.

I am getting this next week for Christmas and have a question regarding the HDD. Should I use the HDD that comes with the system or the 1 TB SSHD in my current PS4? Just curious how I can back up P.T. if I decide to use my SSHD.

You can either back your current ps4 up to an usb hdd now and restore on the PS4 Pro when you get it or connect the two to your network via ethernet and do a system transfer in the settings menu.

If you want to use your SSHD know that once you take it out and put it into the new ps4 you will lose everything so back it up to usb hdd first. The new PS4 Pro is already 1tb and the sshd doesn't seem like a huge leap so I wouldn't go through the trouble.

In this case you can just do a direct transfer of the systems.

I put a 2tb sshd in mine and the speed isn't that much different than my og ps4.

OléGunner;226696310 said:
Finally getting my Pro today!
Looking forward to playing TLG, been sitting on that a whole week.

If you download the update (full 800mb one not the smaller one) and put it into the folder /PS4/UPDATE then everything should be automatic.

adamsapple

He wasn't sure about that so I recounted for him. I believe it's actually 1440p, as listed at the top of that thread.

Haha yes, just about to correct them on that. I edited the original post just in case.

Gotcha, edited my post as well. 1440p is still a huge improvement over 1080p and if it fixes the other notable issues like popin etc, that's all the more better.

Picked up the game over a recent digital sale, will dive into it after Deus Ex.

Great job as always guys, the Pro enhancements topic is incredibly comprehensive.

Stranya

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't find a definitive answer.

Are all games that have a pro patch automatically down/supersampled for 1080p TVs, or does it depend on the game? I recall reading that it was automatic for all pro-patched games, but then I saw that UC4/TLOU (can't remember which) removed it recently (which hasn't gone down well, it seems).

Sony could do a better job of communicating which games have benefits and what those are, IMO, or at least force publishers to make that info readily available.

Ixion

Do the Youtube, Netflix, etc, apps on the PS4 Pro display 4K content?

I tried watching some 4K videos on the YouTube app, but it doesn't look like 4K, whereas the Youtube app on the TV itself looks like 4K.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Do the Youtube, Netflix, etc, apps on the PS4 Pro display 4K content?

I tried watching some 4K videos on the YouTube app, but it doesn't look like 4K, whereas the Youtube app on the TV itself looks like 4K.

In order to watch 4K netflix on any device you need the more expensive 4k subscription first.

adamsapple

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't find a definitive answer.

Are all games that have a pro patch automatically down/supersampled for 1080p TVs, or does it depend on the game? I recall reading that it was automatic for all pro-patched games, but then I saw that UC4/TLOU (can't remember which) removed it recently (which hasn't gone down well, it seems).

Sony could do a better job of communicating which games have benefits and what those are, IMO, or at least force publishers to make that info readily available.

Here's the thing, that's what we all thought all above 1080p games would automatically downsample .. but we've seen some recent examples (like Last Guardian) which do not support downsampling.

So apparently, even allowing down-sampling seems to be a developer check box to tick, it's not something the console will do universally for resolutions higher than 1080p for 1080p TV's unfortunately.

i used the same external hard drive that had my PS4 backup to install the operating system on my new hard disk, and that worked just fine. No need to explicitly boot in safe mode. Once you have a new drive installed the PS4 will automatically detect it for you and prompt to format it and install the OS when you turn it on.

If you download the update (full 800mb one not the smaller one) and put it into the folder /PS4/UPDATE then everything should be automatic.

Cheers guys.
Worked perfectly.

Melchiah

Here's the thing, that's what we all thought all above 1080p games would automatically downsample .. but we've seen some recent examples (like Last Guardian) which do not support downsampling.

So apparently, even allowing down-sampling seems to be a developer check box to tick, it's not something the console will do universally for resolutions higher than 1080p for 1080p TV's unfortunately.

The unequal stance they are demonstrating for Pro users is really starting to sour my feelings towards the system. We 1080p users paid the same amount of money for it, but the 4K users are getting the VIP treatment due to how the system is being marketed. If it runs at a higher resolution on 4K displays, it damn well should offer supersampling on 1080p displays.

JohngPR

I see, thanks for that explanation!

I want to buy the Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit for HDR on the same tv but I'm not sure I can justify the price right now.

I'll second that. I have a 2014 HU8550 and the SEK-3500 was a godsend. It improved the native image on top of all the stuff mitchman noted. I paid full price as well...but bought it on Newegg to avoid having to pay sales tax. :)

Yopis

I bought my PS4 Pro and the first thing I did was play NBA 2K17 since I knew it was native 4K.

I definitely noticed the improved clarity, but then I tried moving closer and closer to the TV (55 inch) and I was amazed that the image didn't get blurrier the closer I got...but rather it got more and more detailed.

What a time to be alive.

Yeah it looks great. Supports HDR also.

Are all games that have a pro patch automatically down/supersampled for 1080p TVs, or does it depend on the game?

...Sony could do a better job of communicating which games have benefits and what those are, IMO, or at least force publishers to make that info readily available.
It depends on the game, though most do downsample. Info about which games don't--as well as plenty of other details--are available in my PS4 Pro enhancements thread.

We 1080p users paid the same amount of money for it, but the 4K users are getting the VIP treatment due to how the system is being marketed. If it runs at a higher resolution on 4K displays, it damn well should offer supersampling on 1080p displays.
While I mostly agree, the great majority of games do downsample. I believe there's only 9 titles (out of 55) that don't. And some of those may not actually be worse because of it. For example, The Witness' 4xMSAA alternative is likely better for that particular game, and several titles run better when not downsampled.

Melchiah

While I mostly agree, the great majority of games do downsample. I believe there's only 9 titles (out of 55) that don't. And some of those may not actually be worse because of it. For example, The Witness's 4xMSAA alternative is likely better for that particular game, and several titles run better when not downsampled.

So far, but when Sony's own TLOU and TLG deviated from it, I started to worry. The former was particularly infuriating downgrade, after few days I had bought the system and started a third playthrough. A minor performance improvement means nowhere near as much to me as image quality. Especially when I was playing TLOU in the supersampled 30fps mode, which had no performance issues.

In the future, I just won't pay full price for games, that don't offer supersampling, eventhough they run at 2160/1800p on 4K displays. Tomb Raider has supersampled and enriched modes, and after trying them both I preferred the former's visual improvement.

TMC

You can either back your current ps4 up to an usb hdd now and restore on the PS4 Pro when you get it or connect the two to your network via ethernet and do a system transfer in the settings menu.

If you want to use your SSHD know that once you take it out and put it into the new ps4 you will lose everything so back it up to usb hdd first. The new PS4 Pro is already 1tb and the sshd doesn't seem like a huge leap so I wouldn't go through the trouble.

In this case you can just do a direct transfer of the systems.

I put a 2tb sshd in mine and the speed isn't that much different than my og ps4.

Thanks for the info!

kuYuri

Ordered a PS4 Pro using Ebay + Overstock roundabout method for $340. I'm still on a 1080p TV, so I hope to be able to take advantage of the downsampling and instances of better framerate in some games. Plus the 1TB HDD is definitely needed. I'll probably end up getting a 4K TV in a year or two though depending on how 4K content takes off.

At the least, I'll be "future proofed" so I look forward to that. Upgrading from a non-slim Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection bundle btw. ^_^

So I just purchased a Vizio 55" M series and when I plug my pro into it, it says it only supports 2K and YUV420. But no way to get RGB and 4K.

Any fixes?

Thanks

Top Bottom