• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Ianan

Tempted to get a Pro but I still don't own a 4K TV. I don't have any PS4 atm, is it worth going for the Pro without a 4K TV? I kind of want it for the better framerate options some game seems to have mostly.

LOLCats

Banned
Tempted to get a Pro but I still don't own a 4K TV. I don't have any PS4 atm, is it worth going for the Pro without a 4K TV? I kind of want it for the better framerate options some game seems to have mostly.

Yes it is, i havnt used most high res options due to frame rate issues. The lower res/better framerate options are totally worth it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yo wtf my screen just went black for a few seconds while playing Battlefield. I've had my pro for a month and this is the first time it has happened. Has this happened for anyone else? Should I be concerned?

My TV is a Panasonic plasma too, by the way

Do you have a psvr setup as well? Have strange hdmi handshake issues at random intervals when plugged into a pro. Believe it has to do with sony's boneheaded move of not supporting the most current HDCP version in the pass thru box.

If no psvr? Probably still sounds like a handshake signal resetting itself or updating.

Neither do I have a 4K TV.

And to be honest, I really don't know if I would have gotten one if my cousin wasn't looking for a regular PS4 to buy.

So I sold him mine and bought the Pro.

I appreciate the extra 500 GB storage from my regular PS4 lol.

Ratchet and Clank do look absolutely gorgeous but I really can't compare since I don't own my old one.

60 FPS is a god send though. Once you try it you'll never go back and you'll always notice when it's less then perfect. (I used to "not care about frame-rate")

Neither do I have a 4K TV.

And to be honest, I really don't know if I would have gotten one if my cousin wasn't looking for a regular PS4 to buy.

So I sold him mine and bought the Pro.

I appreciate the extra 500 GB storage from my regular PS4 lol.

Ratchet and Clank do look absolutely gorgeous but I really can't compare since I don't own my old one.

60 FPS is a god send though. Once you try it for some guys you'll never go back and you'll always notice when it's less then perfect. (I used to "not care about frame-rate")
Why we can't show it for some gals though

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm getting Pro for Christmas and I want to know do people get any 14 day or 1 month trial and any discount code in the box? I'm really excited :)

No trial or code in the box, but as above user said, if you've never used PS+ before you'll get a 14 day trial when you first login to PSN anyway.

gpn

Every PS4 Pro sounds like this for the first 5-10 minutes until it heats up. I can assure you it won't stay quiet like that once you've been in game for a while.

giphy.gif

My PS4 Pro is super quiet.

LOLCats

Banned
Ug my pro keeps crashing often on start up with error CE-36329-3

May have to re-initialize that is a system software error just googling. Did you just do a transfer?

Yes i did do a transfer. I was thinking about swapping it out, my search results kept revealing a possible hard drive issue.

Pro exchanged (thanks target). Did a back up and restore to new pro. All other variables are the same. Will update if CE-36329-3 returns.

Edit: no problems since new pro, whatever the issue was didnt get copied over during the backup and restore. So likely OS related or harddrive related. I only had 2 days left on the exchange so i didnt want to waste time troubleshooting the OS with a full init. Anyway.

Velikost

I know it's probably been discussed a ton but what's the procedure for data transfer? Gonna delete a bunch of bloat and use the Ethernet method, but I want to set up the Pro, download my profile, and update the console first, right?

Apt101

My Pro sits in my entertainment center in a cube, doesn't have the greatest of airflow. The space between the pro and the rear of the shelving gets rather hot. In fact, I pulled my Pro forward a bit so it hangs over the lip by an inch to free up some space behind it:

er9AqVL.jpg

Luckily the Pro still runs silent, but I am concerned with the long term effects of that heat.

So I purchased this, which arrives tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011ANMRLU/?tag=neogaf0e-20. plan on using my Dremel tool to carve out a second hole behind the PS4, and then using this little USB fan like an exhaust to draw the hot air out like a poor man's environmental control module.

I was going to go with this fan, which is better quality and I could have fit it into the shelving more naturally, but there's no on/off switch for it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080G0BK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

JP

In relation to keeping our consoles cool, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it but I would personally never leave modern consoles inside a cabinet. What I do with each of them is to first attach self adhesive rubber to each of the corners then place it on a wooden board on the floor in front of our TV.

It's so simple to do and it ensures that it's restricted in any way.

These aren't the ones that I've actually used but it gives people an idea of what I'm talking about.

I like to get rubber feet with a fair bit of height to ensure there's plenty of room between the console and wooden board. Consoles usually have small feet of some kind on the base and I'll generally place the self adhesive feet over the top of them as it ensures that the weight is supported exactly where it's where it's designed to be supported by the console.
Black Self Adhesive Polyurethane Bumper Stops Feet Bumpons 20.6mm x 13.2mm Square

I picked up quite a thick wooden board online somewhere which was cheap because the surface was untreated unlike the more expensive chopping boards. It's around 30mm to 40mm thick and square which is big enough for even the biggest console we've had.

Because of the materials it's pretty durable in this situation, we've had it for years and it'll probably still be going strong twenty years from now.
21iTw%2BbUBLL.jpg

It's not for everybody but it's been perfect for us and it's simply a matter of putting the console back on in the TV unit when we've finished with it. :)

Audioboxer

My Pro sits in my entertainment center in a cube, doesn't have the greatest of airflow. The space between the pro and the rear of the shelving gets rather hot. In fact, I pulled my Pro forward a bit so it hangs over the lip by an inch to free up some space behind it:

er9AqVL.jpg

Luckily the Pro still runs silent, but I am concerned with the long term effects of that heat.

So I purchased this, which arrives tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011ANMRLU/?tag=neogaf0e-20. plan on using my Dremel tool to carve out a second hole behind the PS4, and then using this little USB fan like an exhaust to draw the hot air out like a poor man's environmental control module.

I was going to go with this fan, which is better quality and I could have fit it into the shelving more naturally, but there's no on/off switch for it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080G0BK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Heh I just bought a new TV unit from IKEA. First time I've had something pretty closed off. It's a Besta TV unit, and I've picked two glass doors for the left and right section, and left the center open.

This without the drawer in the middle http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...sindvik-black-brown-clear-glass-spr-09071210/ My middle section is my speaker center piece up top, and then I have my audio unit/receiver.

However as I'm putting PS stuff on the left side with a door airflow is bad. The PS4 Pro puts out one hell of a lot of heat. The glass shelf and console itself gets damn hot. I chose glass shelves for the left and right sections as they disperse heat better than wood and cosmetically look better behind glass doors.

The expensive solution will be this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QFWWZQO/ Do some DIY to fit a fan to the unit.

The cheap solution that requires no work might be to remove the back panel of the unit and replace it with speaker cloth (costs like £5/6). This will allow the PS4 to exhaust hot air out through the back, and still allow me to close the cabinet doors. Closing the door is great in that it even silences the fan noise from FF15, but if I do it just now with no airflow and open the door after 20~30 minutes it is like opening an oven door LOL.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
And that has nothing to do with another PS4 model being released.

AMD was on 28nm for more than four years. PS4 Pro basically exists because of a major process change this year. Unless this gen drags on for a very long time there won't be another one before PS5. That means no Pro slim before PS5.

Melchiah

In relation to keeping our consoles cool, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it but I would personally never leave modern consoles inside a cabinet. What I do with each of them is to first attach self adhesive rubber to each of the corners then place it on a wooden board on the floor in front of our TV.

It's so simple to do and it ensures that it's restricted in any way.

These aren't the ones that I've actually used but it gives people an idea of what I'm talking about.

I like to get rubber feet with a fair bit of height to ensure there's plenty of room between the console and wooden board. Consoles usually have small feet of some kind on the base and I'll generally place the self adhesive feet over the top of them as it ensures that the weight is supported exactly where it's where it's designed to be supported by the console.

It's not for everybody but it's been perfect for us and it's simply a matter of putting the console back on in the TV unit when we've finished with it. :)

I have a similar setup, but I've put the rubber feet under the wooden plate to decrease resonation from the metal shelf.

G68tKZcl.jpg

That's the plate I had for the original PS4. I'm making a bigger and taller one for the Pro, so its exhaust vents are positioned higher from the shelf's back wall.

Heh I just bought a new TV unit from IKEA. First time I've had something pretty closed off. It's a Besta TV unit, and I've picked two glass doors for the left and right section, and left the center open.

This without the drawer in the middle http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...sindvik-black-brown-clear-glass-spr-09071210/ My middle section is my speaker center piece up top, and then I have my audio unit/receiver.

However as I'm putting PS stuff on the left side with a door airflow is bad. The PS4 Pro puts out one hell of a lot of heat. The glass shelf and console itself gets damn hot. I chose glass shelves for the left and right sections as they disperse heat better than wood and cosmetically look better behind glass doors.

The expensive solution will be this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QFWWZQO/ Do some DIY to fit a fan to the unit.

The cheap solution that requires no work might be to remove the back panel of the unit and replace it with speaker cloth (costs like £5/6). This will allow the PS4 to exhaust hot air out through the back, and still allow me to close the cabinet doors. Closing the door is great in that it even silences the fan noise from FF15, but if I do it just now with no airflow and open the door after 20~30 minutes it is like opening an oven door LOL.

We picked up this one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...-burs-tv-bench-high-gloss-white-art-30269129/ with the Pro sitting on top, Youview box and PSVR box in the first section, PS3 in the second and WiiU in the 3rd, both drawers are full of video game related "stuff" or "JUNK!!" as my partner likes to call it. I did point her to the description of the usage for the drawers though which says

There is plenty of space for TV games and accessories in the two spacious drawers.

The odd thing about some of the reported issues with the Pro is that I had all those with my Launch PS4 Unit. Cutoff Sound, Black Screen, Controller Input Spike, etc..

Audioboxer

We picked up this one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...-burs-tv-bench-high-gloss-white-art-30269129/ with the Pro sitting on top, Youview box and PSVR box in the first section, PS3 in the second and WiiU in the 3rd, both drawers are full of video game related "stuff" or "JUNK!!" as my partner likes to call it. I did point her to the description of the usage for the drawers though which says

On top as in up with the TV? I like having it behind a door as it does completely silence it. I mean its silent with OG PS4 games, the fans just get a bit noisy with Pro games like FF15. All I need to do is find a way to exhaust heat better, as the only exit for hot air right now is a tiny cable cut out at the top of the inside of the unit.

I like having the left section dedicated to PS (PS3/PS4/controllers/etc). Right section is Nintendo, amiibos, etc. XB1 sits on a middle shelf between the center speaker and audio system. It's a silent console anyway so doesn't need to be behind a door.

I think I'll pickup some speaker cloth and see how I get on with taking out the back plate. The noise levels should be less with noise coming out the back than the front. After Christmas I might try some DIY to fit a fan unit but I've already spent a good chunk of money in IKEA spending another £50/60 on a fan unit and attempting to hack up a TV unit I've just bought is a bit of a no-go.

On top as in up with the TV? I like having it behind a door as it does completely silence it. I mean its silent with OG PS4 games, the fans just get a bit noisy with Pro games like FF15. All I need to do is find a way to exhaust heat better, as the only exit for hot air right now is a tiny cable cut out at the top of the inside of the unit.

I like having the left section dedicated to PS (PS3/PS4/controllers/etc). Right section is Nintendo, amiibos, etc. XB1 sits on a middle shelf between the center speaker and audio system. It's a silent console anyway so doesn't need to be behind a door.

I think I'll pickup some speaker cloth and see how I get on with taking out the back plate. The noise levels should be less with noise coming out the back than the front. After Christmas I might try some DIY to fit a fan unit but I've already spent a good chunk of money in IKEA spending another £50/60 on a fan unit and attempting to hack up a TV unit I've just bought is a bit of a no-go.

On top, TV is wall mounted.

On a side note, just had a call from LG my UF850V is considered beyond economical repair (cuts out when playing on PS4 Pro) so will be switching me to this years model of the UH850V which thankfully has HDR too.

Audioboxer

On top, TV is wall mounted.

On a side note, just had a call from LG my UF850V is considered beyond economical repair (cuts out when playing on PS4 Pro) so will be switching me to this years model of the UH850V which thankfully has HDR too.

Niiiice! And yeah I forgot many wall-mount now. Not an option for me so my TV sits up top.

I've bought some speaker cloth (its the thin almost see-through material often on speakers), and I'll see how it is if I remove the back panel of the unit. Maybe eventually I'll whip out the drill and cutter and see if I can cut out fan vents.

Luckily I'm in Scotland to ambient room temperature is always fucking low lol. As I said above though if I close up the cabinet and play FF15 and then open the door after 30 minutes it is kind of like opening an oven door LOL. That can't be great for the PS4, although I'm under the impression if it does overheat it shuts down?

Apt101

Hmm, thanks for the idea. Just ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009COQYA0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Going to cut a hole for this instead, should do the trick.

Audioboxer

Hmm, thanks for the idea. Just ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009COQYA0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Going to cut a hole for this instead, should do the trick.

Yeah I am thinking one fan will be enough for me too. If it powers off the PS4 Pro back USB as well then it should only turn on when the Pro is on (under PS4 settings turn off power USB when off). Otherwise you would have to manually turn off the fan or the PS4 in standby will have it constantly running.

I've just bought some speaker cloth though so I'll see how it works until Jan or Feb of next year and maybe then I'll invest in a fan/cut out. Let me know how you get on.

Yo wtf my screen just went black for a few seconds while playing Battlefield. I've had my pro for a month and this is the first time it has happened. Has this happened for anyone else? Should I be concerned?

My TV is a Panasonic plasma too, by the way

I get some sort of handshake issues too... momentary flash of black (less than a second) and/or sound drops for a second or two.

I've got a 50" GT25.

One of the reasons I upgraded to the Pro as I thought it was my cowboom PS4 that was causing this. Apparently not. Come to think of it. I saw it on my PS3 also last year but I wrote it off to the HDMI switch I was using. Don't use the PS3 much though so I didn't remember.

Played with the color settings and got it to stop, mostly, but it still does it a bit.

black070

So uh.. The Ezio Collection looks pretty damn good on a 4K screen, it obviously looks aesthetically outdated, but there's just an overall smoothness to it that makes it look really polished and appealing to look at.

I've looked for an answer all over the internet and been unable to find one, so maybe someone here can help me.

I have a Samsung JS7000 4K HDR-enabled TV, a Yamaha RX-379 receiver (w/ HDCP 2.2 port), and a PS4 Pro. But I can't figure out a way to get my Pro to recognize my TV as capable of supporting HDR.

I turned on UHD Color Mode on my Samsung (although Game Mode is greyed out, and Picture Mode only shows Standard/Entertain as options) and still no luck. I also don't have it routed through my PSVR, and I'm using HDMI 2.0.

I'm pretty sure this TV is capable of displaying HDR content, that's one of the reasons I bought it. Anyone able to help me out?

Lima

I've looked for an answer all over the internet and been unable to find one, so maybe someone here can help me.

I have a Samsung JS7000 4K HDR-enabled TV, a Yamaha RX-379 receiver (w/ HDCP 2.2 port), and a PS4 Pro. But I can't figure out a way to get my Pro to recognize my TV as capable of supporting HDR.

I turned on UHD Color Mode on my Samsung (although Game Mode is greyed out, and Picture Mode only shows Standard/Entertain as options) and still no luck. I also don't have it routed through my PSVR, and I'm using HDMI 2.0.

I'm pretty sure this TV is capable of displaying HDR content, that's one of the reasons I bought it. Anyone able to help me out?

Are your routing your PS4 through the receiver? If so there is your problem since it doesn't support HDR passthrough.

Audioboxer

You're a victim like many of us to HDMI 2.0a. A lot of receivers supporting HDMI 2.0 and 4K passthrough but not HDMI 2.0a which is needed for HDR.

Thank technology and HDR for fucking over many of us who just bought new receivers this year.... I need to use ARC through my TV to get HDR. I lose 5.1 PCM, but 5.1 DTS is good enough.

Yamaha could probably have upgraded that model via FW for 2.0a support, but nah, pls go and buy the RX-V381 for HDR.

Dunlop

er9AqVL.jpg

My AV unit was similar but the heat emitted was so strong that I moved the ps4 pro to under my TV (mine is wall mounted) and put my center channel on the shelf

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

er9AqVL.jpg

My situation is similar but even worse than yours, there's no space in the shelf below my TV behind the unit so I've had to put mine sideways. Works like a beaut though :p

I might take some time on the next day off and cut some holes in the back so at least the wires are less obvious.

You're a victim like many of us to HDMI 2.0a. A lot of receivers supporting HDMI 2.0 and 4K passthrough but not HDMI 2.0a which is needed for HDR.

Thank technology and HDR for fucking over many of us who just bought new receivers this year.... I need to use ARC through my TV to get HDR. I lose 5.1 PCM, but 5.1 DTS is good enough.

Yamaha could probably have upgraded that model via FW for 2.0a support, but nah, pls go and buy the RX-V381 for HDR.

Fuck me. I HAD the RX381 but returned it to buy the complete package w/ speakers (which came with RX379). And of course, 2 weeks later the RX 681 goes on sale for $100 less than what I paid. God I hate technology sometimes.

So to clarify, I can connect my PS4 Pro directly to my TV, and then use a separate HDMI cable via the ARC port to connect to the receiver? I won't need an optical audio cable, right?

Audioboxer

Fuck me. I HAD the RX381 but returned it to buy the complete package w/ speakers (which came with RX379). And of course, 2 weeks later the RX 681 goes on sale for $100 less than what I paid. God I hate technology sometimes.

So to clarify, I can connect my PS4 Pro directly to my TV, and then use a separate HDMI cable via the ARC port to connect to the receiver? I won't need an optical audio cable, right?

Sorry man, 4K/HDR and HDMI spec have been a bit of a shambles the past year-ish. So many buyers fucked over by thinking buying a 4K TV or receiver = futureproof and it wasn't. My TV is fine but the receiver I bought AFTER I had bought my 4K TV can't do HDR passthrough, only 4K...

For your second point, yeah. HDMI 4 is ARC on my TV. Take an HDMI cable from that to the output on your receiver. Plug PS4 into HDMI 1~3 (or one of the other HDMI ports on your TV). There might be a setting on your TV you need to configure so it passes Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 without tampering. My TV was set to pass all as PCM by default, and PCM passthrough on TVs only goes up to 2.0. I changed it to pass compressed audio, which then passes through DTS. You can make sure it is okay via the audio on the PS4 home menu with the default flow theme. It works in 5.1. If only your right and left speakers are working then TV is passing through 2.0 PCM only. Alternatively if you have a DTS light/display on your receiver that will obviously light up/read 5.1 DTS if the TV is passing through correctly.

As I'll said you'll miss out on the PCM 5.1/7.1 from your PS4. IIRC no TV out there can pass 5.1 PCM through ARC as there isn't enough bandwidth. Make sure to also set the PS4 to HDMI/DTS Bitstream in audio settings.

JP

Might be handy for some: PDP is bringing out a PS4 IR receiver for Logitech Harmony remotes in two weeks, will even let you turn the PS4 on and off this way - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K3VMBM0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My TV doesn't do CEC, I already have a Harmony and no interest in PDP's PS4 remote so this is real sweet.
Has anybody here used one of these yet? I'm really hoping that it's a good quality product but the fact that it's from PDP concerns me slightly.

It's showing as out of stock on Amazon so I'm not even sure if they were released on the 16th as they were supposed to be.

Sorry man, 4K/HDR and HDMI spec have been a bit of a shambles the past year-ish. So many buyers fucked over by thinking buying a 4K TV or receiver = futureproof and it wasn't. My TV is fine but the receiver I bought AFTER I had bought my 4K TV can't do HDR passthrough, only 4K...

For your second point, yeah. HDMI 4 is ARC on my TV. Take an HDMI cable from that to the output on your receiver. Plug PS4 into HDMI 1~3 (or one of the other HDMI ports on your TV). There might be a setting on your TV you need to configure so it passes Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 without tampering. My TV was set to pass all as PCM by default, and PCM passthrough on TVs only goes up to 2.0. I changed it to pass compressed audio, which then passes through DTS. You can make sure it is okay via the audio on the PS4 home menu with the default flow theme. It works in 5.1. If only your right and left speakers are working then TV is passing through 2.0 PCM only. Alternatively if you have a DTS light/display on your receiver that will obviously light up/read 5.1 DTS if the TV is passing through correctly.

As I'll said you'll miss out on the PCM 5.1/7.1 from your PS4. IIRC no TV out there can pass 5.1 PCM through ARC as there isn't enough bandwidth. Make sure to also set the PS4 to HDMI/DTS Bitstream in audio settings.

How about this. I can return my Yamaha RX379 and my Yamaha NS-P40 speaker system and pick up the Yamaha RX679 and Yamaha NS-SP1800 speaker system for an additional $77 or so. I'd be downgrading the speaker quality a bit but the receiver is much better and more future-proof. It also seems to include HDMI 2.0a compatibility.

Anyone think this is worth it? Or should I stick with what I have?

Chorazin

How about this. I can return my Yamaha RX379 and my Yamaha NS-P40 speaker system and pick up the Yamaha RX679 and Yamaha NS-SP1800 speaker system for an additional $77 or so. I'd be downgrading the speaker quality a bit but the receiver is much better and more future-proof. It also seems to include HDMI 2.0a compatibility.

Anyone think this is worth it? Or should I stick with what I have?

I highly doubt you'll even notice the difference in speaker quality, but you'll definitely notice HDR vs non-HDR.

I think it's worth it.

I know this is off-topic, but who is currently selling the cheapest 1 year plus code? I know Rakuten had $70 for two, but that's gone and Bestbuy had a 10% off of codes, but I don't see the deal right now.

gpn

I know it's probably been discussed a ton but what's the procedure for data transfer? Gonna delete a bunch of bloat and use the Ethernet method, but I want to set up the Pro, download my profile, and update the console first, right?

Just setup your OG PS4 how you want things on the PS4 Pro, and it will handle all that when you do the transfer. To do the transfer, just have both units hooked up to ethernet, and when you do the initial setup of the PS4 Pro it will ask if you want to do a transfer. If you answer "yes", it will walk you through the steps. It was really easy, but since I didn't think to clean off my PS4, the transfer took 8 hours.

Just thought of something... In the future is it possible that PS4 Pro support could be locked behind a pay wall?

For instance, Pro support included with deluxe edition... Or upgrade to Pro edition DLC...

Would kind of be a dick move, but if Sony allows it I'd fully expect to see publishers doing this to make a bit more money...

That said, if it happens it better be a damned fine upgrade with no drawbacks compared to standard PS4...

Top Bottom