• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

EmiPrime

My SSHD finally arrived! Looking forward to replaying Dishonored 2 with it.

I'm going to treat my PS3, give it the 1TB HDD the Pro came with.

sasliquid

Upgraded my hardrive (to 2tb firecuda sshd) yesterday and everything was fine, kept it in stand by to download all the patches over night.

The pro then froze and I shut it down by holding the power button. Turning it back on it wouldn't let me send the error message so I turned it off again.

Now when I turn it on it comes up with the PS symbol then nothing. light stays blue and flashing. HELP?

EDIT: Seems to be working now after like the third time turning it on. Terrifying

EDIT2: Happened again when loading up Amazon Video. I'm gonna let it download everything first because I imagine that's a source of a lot of stress

Anarion07

Stop misleading people. Every PS4 Pro sounds like this for the first 5-10 minutes until it heats up. I can assure you it won't stay quiet like that once you've been in game for a while.

What the actual fuck. It's nice that you apparently have a camera in my room. I played watchdogs 2 before that. Stop misleading people.

Also I'm just saying if you have a REALLY loud one, it is faulty. I'm not saying it doesn't make any sound ever. Hence the "jet engine" in my post

madmackem

Stop misleading people. Every PS4 Pro sounds like this for the first 5-10 minutes until it heats up. I can assure you it won't stay quiet like that once you've been in game for a while.
Horse shite I've had both mine since launch day I cant hear either of them over my tv, only time it's even remotely audible is when it's installing off the disc.

What the actual fuck. It's nice that you apparently have a camera in my room. I played watchdogs 2 before that. Stop misleading people.

Also I'm just saying if you have a REALLY loud one, it is faulty. I'm not saying it doesn't make any sound ever. Hence the "jet engine" in my post
The video shows a PS4 Pro that is not making any noise and the description says "this is what it should sound like".

Horse shite I've had both mine since launch day I cant hear either of them over my tv, only time it's even remotely audible is when it's installing off the disc.

?
We are not talking about the noise levels with TV sound over it. The video doesn't have any game audio.

BigEmil

Lmao your really hellbent on making people believe every PS4 Pro is faulty with a jet engine or something? Your doing this in both threads it's pretty sad really.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of those toxic YouTube comments are from you too lol

Footos22

No it doesn't. How do you know what every unit sounds like? Mines quiet all the time even after a 5 hour session on ffxv at high mode. Stop the misinformation just because of a few faulty units.

holygeesus

Banned
People just have different definitions of 'quiet' I guess. Mine is quieter than my launch model, but it does ramp up and down, depending on the game. For those who say theirs is 'silent' try a game like Watch Dogs 2 - minimise the game in the background, by pressing the PS button, and witness the fans rev up.

EmiPrime

Mine is neither a jet engine nor is it whisper quiet. Definitely not enough of a lemon to want to exchange it in case I get a worse one but definitely not silent even when in rest mode downloading things. I can't hear it over the sound of a game most of the time, the fan isn't rattling nor is it grinding and it's quieter than my PS2 to use a point of reference most will understand.

Either way, the usual muppets rejoicing at that Crowbcat video because it's appealing to their confirmation biases against the Pro are pretty sad.

JMZ555

My PS4 Pro seems quiet. Even after a few hours of Overwatch it seems pretty quiet.
When installing via disc it gets a bit louder then after goes back to being quiet after install complete.

Anarion07

That's not the point.
He made the claim, does he have numbers to suggest it's just a few?

Nope he doesn't. But as many people have stated electronics always have a fault rate and negative opinions are more likely to be voiced.
But we're gonna have to wait until some reliable numbers are out I guess

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Mine is much quieter than my original PS4 that I bought in February or March 2013.

It's not silent. I can hear the fans when playing (not if using headset though), especially in intensive things like UC4 or FFXV, but it's not distracting at all.

I'm sure it various across units, set ups, environments etc. People also just have different hearing and differing pet peeve noises/frequencies that drive them crazy as well. E.g. I can't deal with plasma tvs as I'm sensitive to the buzz in bright scenes that I've heard in every one I've been around and can't stop listening for and beng driven crazy by.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Nope he doesn't. But as many people have stated electronics always have a fault rate and negative opinions are more likely to be voiced.
But we're gonna have to wait until some reliable numbers are out I guess

I don't know, considering there's already precedent here with the PS4 noise levels, and the Pro is using the same blower type fan design, if Sony is using the same manufacturers... it's not exactly a stretch to be skeptical.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I've had multiple 3 hour long gaming sessions with the Pro since I've had it and the loudest I've heard it get was during U4 and even then it was still fairly quiet, especially compared to my original PS4.

There's clearly a problem with some Pros out there, but to say all are like that is ridiculous.

True Fire

LOL. My Pro is dead quiet during games that turned my PS4 into a jet engine (Witcher, Bloodborne, FFXV)

Kudo

What I learned after having party with 4 PS4s is that the sound levels vary a lot, so if yours is a jet engine, return it. It's supposed to be quiet.

legbone

What I learned after having party with 4 PS4s is that the sound levels vary a lot, so if yours is a jet engine, return it. It's supposed to be quiet.

yep, mine is dead silent. i ran it for about sixteen hours straight yesterday, playing games and watching ps vue (free trial, about to cut my cable thanks to it, but that's another tale for another day). after this amount of time it was still dead silent and just slightly warm to the touch. if it is loud, exchange it.

Actually just checked mine during some intense TLG scenes and also a bit of FFXV. It's fairly silent and I couldn't really hear it unless I went close to it. My cieling fan makes more of a noise.

Doesn't make much of a difference either way, I don't play without headphones.

Nightz

So I'm thinking of picking a Pro up before the end of the month. Are there any good deals going on at the moment for it?

Boss Man

Yo wtf my screen just went black for a few seconds while playing Battlefield. I've had my pro for a month and this is the first time it has happened. Has this happened for anyone else? Should I be concerned?

My TV is a Panasonic plasma too, by the way
Yeah it's a really annoying issue because of how randomly it seems to occur. I get it with my Samsung KS8000. I have not seen it in a while since locking my resolution settings to YUV420. Not sure if that has stopped it or if it just hasn't happened in a while.

Watch Dogs 2 is crashing every 20-30 minutes on my PS4 pro. I switched to offline and it still crashes. Anyone else had the same issues? any Fix?

Holy shit. I am so close to just returning my $320 target ps4 pro when I get it next week. All these issues, and it sounds like more and more. I bet they really cheaped out on the GPU cooling to cause all of these visual issues.

My launch unit runs cool and quiet because I did new thermal paste on it a few years back. I am kind of attached to it.

icespide

Banned
Holy shit. I am so close to just returning my $320 target ps4 pro when I get it next week. All these issues, and it sounds like more and more. I bet they really cheaped out on the GPU cooling to cause all of these visual issues.

My launch unit runs cool and quiet because I did new thermal paste on it a few years back. I am kind of attached to it.
just ignore the thousands of people having no issues at all.

Anarion07

Mine is quiet (see my video) and I've been playing watch dogs for 8 hours non stop today. Try yours. Return if it's faulty.

BHR-3

im on my 3rd pro and i aint returning it cause i got it a few weeks back at target for 320 they all sounded the same to me neither one was louder or quieter than the other and all 3 had the same fan type aswell

the way i got mine to be quite regardless of situation (b/c the fan does kick up and become audible during 60fps+ gameplay, cut scenes menus ect, was to leave the lid slightly open where the fan is located aswell as having it jacked up which i do for all my consoles since last gen)

heres some pics

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225401266&postcount=807

im am playing RotTR in 30fps mode and havent heard a sound out of it but the games i was playing prior TF2 and CODIW were audible w/o this mod

Yesterday I tried the CoD IW demo just to see how a PS4 Pro enhanced game looks like (I don't have one yet), and I was blown away. I play many games in native 4k downsampled to 1080 on my TV and CoD IW looks indistinguishable to me at a perfect 60FPS while only making very slight noise. That this can be achieved for the 375 euros that the console cost me just blows my mind.

I also play several games at 1800p with AA downsampled to 1080p and whatever CoD IW is doing looks better than that. CoD is supposed to be 1800p if I recall correctly, so maybe it's because of the checkerboarding. It's very, very impressive.

Looking forward to FFXV's proper Pro support patch.

Build quality also seems much nicer than on the slim, and the big mac design is actually very appealing in person, I didn't like it on pictures but I've fallen in love with it ever since I got it about a month ago.

7th gen made me primarily a PC player, but this might just bring me back to Playstation as my main platform.

Nightz

I'll buy it off you for $320. =P

For what it's worth, no issues here.

That's a bit of an overreaction.

It's still early. How many people had black screens and crashes and GPU corruption at the regular ps4 launch? I don't think it was something that came up that often..

You had the HDMI issues and controller issues, but there were very few cases of GPU or graphics corruption. I'd have to search but the only issues I remember from the ps4 launch were bad HDMI ports, disc ejecting issues, and loud fans.

The stuff that's being brought up fairly regularly around the internet and this thread are a lot more alarming than the ps4 launch issues.

The am always stunned at the group of people ready to come to the defense of any criticism of the ps4 pro issues and possible poor manufacturing of these units.

EmiPrime

It's still early. How many people had black screens and crashes and GPU corruption at the regular ps4 launch? I don't think it was something that came up that often..

You had the HDMI issues and controller issues, but there were very few cases of GPU or graphics corruption. I'd have to search but the only issues I remember from the ps4 launch were bad HDMI ports, disc ejecting issues, and loud fans.

The stuff that's being brought up fairly regularly around the internet and this thread are a lot more alarming than the ps4 launch issues.

The am always stunned at the group of people ready to come to the defense of any criticism of the ps4 pro issues and possible poor manufacturing of these units.

Nobody is denying those faulty units exist.

I beat Titanfall 2 on Pro yesterday and I gotta say that's a stunning game and showcase for the console.

The art style and character models do hold it back a bit (though the art is still massively imrocoed over Titanfall 1) but its still a pretty stunning game, especially IQ wise.

Runs super solid too.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So far I've played Titanfall 2, rise of the tomb raider, dishonored 2, mafia 3, last guardian, FFXV, hitman and infinite warfare.

My system gets louder with the annoying up/down fan noise almost immediately on Mafia 3 and Infinite Warfare. Hitman gets loud when it plays movies or I bring up the map. FFXV gets louder sometimes at seemingly arbitrary points.

All others are totally quiet.

Incidents mate. I can understand they worry you a bit but if yours is fine then you're not one of the unlucky ones. Just enjoy and return it when something is actually wrong. You now at least know what stuff is happening to some Pro consoles. I also read every one of them but have no issue what so ever.

Whenever i buy a new Mac i also read all these nightmare stories but this far i never encountered an issue.

I did have the RROD on two 360 consoles and a yellow light of death on my launch Ps3 after 4,5 years.

If you do get an issue, make sure you post it on Gaf.

Been playing on the ps Pro a lot and wondered if anyone else playing skyrim notices the kind of washed out hazy look of it. Is that the design as it seems to possibly be a lighting effect. Just making me paranoid about my settings

III-V

Been playing on the ps Pro a lot and wondered if anyone else playing skyrim notices the kind of washed out hazy look of it. Is that the design as it seems to possibly be a lighting effect. Just making me paranoid about my settings

Check your RGB video level settings on your TV and make sure it matches your selected output res on the Pro.

Melchiah

Yo wtf my screen just went black for a few seconds while playing Battlefield. I've had my pro for a month and this is the first time it has happened. Has this happened for anyone else? Should I be concerned?

My TV is a Panasonic plasma too, by the way

I've had the same issue every once in a while on the regular PS4 and PS3, but not on the Pro so far. It doesn't happen often, but it's annoying enough, especially when playing something like Driveclub. It also happens sometimes during Netflix, but rarily. I've got a Bravia 40W5500 LCD from 2009 if that matters. I've wondered if it's a HDMI issue, or has something do with Full RGB being set wrongly?

Top Bottom