• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Newb question, but Ive had my PS4 Pro, one time, tell me HDR mode was on for a game. But that was it. Ive played other games with HDR where yeah, it looks good, but that update didnt pop up and I couldnt really tell if it was on. Games like Hitman, FF15, Tomb Raider, TLG, etc. Its shows on in the settings its on the TV (65' KS8000), but the fact I got a pop up once worries that maybe I have bad cables or something.

deadfolk

Newb question, but Ive had my PS4 Pro, one time, tell me HDR mode was on for a game. But that was it. Ive played other games with HDR where yeah, it looks good, but that update didnt pop up and I couldnt really tell if it was on. Games like Hitman, FF15, Tomb Raider, TLG, etc. Its shows on in the settings its on the TV (65' KS8000), but the fact I got a pop up once worries that maybe I have bad cables or something.

I only got that popup the first time, but HDR is definitely on after that as my TV has a tag that pops up when you go to the picture settings.

BigEmil

So was there tests done on the PS4 Pro's SATA 3? I keep reading impressions that it's slightly faster in loading and streaming assets in games on Pro compared to Reg PS4.

Standard HDD on Reg PS4 vs Standard HDD on Pro PS4 tests would be cool.

gogojira

So, I only own a 1080p set and a PSVR, and I'm thinking of making a shotgun purchase on the PS4 Pro. Someone please talk me out of making a dumb decision, I already own an OG PS4. Or maybe I should just buy the fucker and stop the constant debating.

I saw a Target deal the other day for $369 I believe but it looks like the Pro is back up to $400 everywhere. Help me GAF. Should I do it or not? I'm suffering here, lol.

Anarion07

So, I only own a 1080p set and a PSVR, and I'm thinking of making a shotgun purchase on the PS4 Pro. Someone please talk me out of making a dumb decision, I already own an OG PS4. Or maybe I should just buy the fucker and stop the constant debating.

I saw a Target deal the other day for $369 I believe but it looks like the Pro is back up to $400 everywhere. Help me GAF. Should I do it or not? I'm suffering here, lol.

Maybe wait for the horizon bundle.
Otherwise.. doit.gif

gogojira

Maybe wait for the horizon bundle.
Otherwise.. doit.gif

I think option two is what the illogical part of my brain is saying to do, but the more rational part of me is saying to wait for a nice bundle or cheaper price, lol. The next game I intend to play (wrapping up UC4) is Bloodborne ($7.99 sale!) which doesn't even have a Pro mode anyways.

EmiPrime

Do it. Your PSVR will thank you.

If it could talk.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I think option two is what the illogical part of my brain is saying to do, but the more rational part of me is saying to wait for a nice bundle or cheaper price, lol. The next game I intend to play (wrapping up UC4) is Bloodborne ($7.99 sale!) which doesn't even have a Pro mode anyways.
You're better off waiting for Horizon then to be honest. Unless VR is something you use in a daily basis.

Humdinger

$250 for better PSVR and better-looking PS4 games over the next 3 years. Easy choice. Just don't expect major eye-popping visual upgrades at 1080p. It's rather subtle on most titles.

gogojira

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely be getting one, it's the "when" that I'm torn on. The PS4 OG would move rooms so I can't trade it in towards a Pro or it might be an easier decision.

Anyways, thanks again!

spwolf

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely be getting one, it's the "when" that I'm torn on. The PS4 OG would move rooms so I can't trade it in towards a Pro or it might be an easier decision.

Anyways, thanks again!

psvr on pro is night and day difference vs ps4 og. Pro on 1080p is very small if you are not too sensitive... but psvr, completely something else.

Rellik

Got my Pro a few days ago but haven't touched it yet because I'm a dumbass who changed my phone number without changing my 2FA. Had to send Photo ID to Playstation support and proof that the old number belonged to me. Now the Pro just sits there teasing me while Playstation support take their time. :(

The Dude

Can you guys post what some of the games with hdr look like, I'm tryin to figure a few things out with my setup and it'd be helpful to see the difference. If someone could post an hdr pic and same game hdr off, be a huge help

deadfolk

Can you guys post what some of the games with hdr look like, I'm tryin to figure a few things out with my setup and it'd be helpful to see the difference. If someone could post an hdr pic and same game hdr off, be a huge help

You can't tell the difference in screenshots.

Do you have Final Fantasy XV? There's a really easy way to spot the HDR in that which I found: Look directly at the sun. You'll see what I mean.

jeffram

I find The Last of Us main menu shows it very clearly. You can toggle it on and off and a huge difference is easily apparent,

The Dude

You can't tell the difference in screenshots.

Do you have Final Fantasy XV? There's a really easy way to spot the HDR in that which I found: Look directly at the sun. You'll see what I mean.

Well heres my issue, I'm running my pro thru a Denon s910w avr to my epson 5040ub projector. Now this projector is glorious, beautiful etc... But due to some limitations currently until things get ironed out it can only display 2k hdr. When I run my Pc with my 1080 and my pro, one S, it's gorgeous.... But when I click "HDR on" in games I get this

UgUFQv.jpg

Now this is how things normally look

https://flic.kr/p/P6ALjw

https://flic.kr/p/Q9YcZj

https://flic.kr/p/QnY4bn

Battlefield Is pro. Skyrim and Dishonored 2 are Pc, but I mean things look amazing, except when I turn hdr on in a pro game.

Now I've updated firmware etc... Basically I've narrowed it down to my Denon not passing the hdr. I get a bt.709 signal, need that to be 2020 obviously.

But yea, that's my issue.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I tried waiting for a Horizon bunduru and failed miserably.
If you got the cash, doooo eeeeeeeet.

EmiPrime

Got my Pro a few days ago but haven't touched it yet because I'm a dumbass who changed my phone number without changing my 2FA. Had to send Photo ID to Playstation support and proof that the old number belonged to me. Now the Pro just sits there teasing me while Playstation support take their time. :(

You could have used a backup code if you'd have generated some so you messed up on two counts!

Pennywise

I got my Pro today :)
Slick and I like the OS for sure! Now to buy some games, heh. maybe I will use that 2 for 1 deal.

The deal isn't that great.
Alot of titles that are overpriced and far easier to get due normal sales.
Even the normal retail prices are lower than the prices...

I suggest the January sale which will be up today :p
If I renember correctly, there should be something else coming up on Saturn/MediaMarkt pretty soon (19% off everything at Saturn during 2.1-3.1 next year for example).

derFeef

The deal isn't that great.
Alot of titles that are overpriced and far easier to get due normal sales.
Even the normal retail prices are lower than the prices...

I suggest the January sale which will be up today :p
If I renember correctly, there should be something else coming up on Saturn/MediaMarkt pretty soon (19% off everything at Saturn during 2.1-3.1 next year for example).

Yeah I looked closer, compared prices and did not buy anything.
January sale is mor exciting - Bloodborne is tempting for 19€ but I will be busy with Let it Die and probably don't need another one of "those" games soon. At this rate I am just waiting for Yakuza and deals for some Musou games I already have on the Vita so I can use my saves on the PS4 :)

deadfolk

Well heres my issue, I'm running my pro thru a Denon s910w avr to my epson 5040ub projector. Now this projector is glorious, beautiful etc... But due to some limitations currently until things get ironed out it can only display 2k hdr. When I run my Pc with my 1080 and my pro, one S, it's gorgeous.... But when I click "HDR on" in games I get this

UgUFQv.jpg

Battlefield Is pro. Skyrim and Dishonored 2 are Pc, but I mean things look amazing, except when I turn hdr on in a pro game.

Now I've updated firmware etc... Basically I've narrowed it down to my Denon not passing the hdr. I get a bt.709 signal, need that to be 2020 obviously.

Stupid question, but have you tried bypassing the avr? I'm no expert, but your last statement seems like you know exactly where the problem is...HDR needs 2020, but your avr doesn't pass that. I have the same issue, and have to wire my pro direct to the tv.

UgUFQv.jpg

What are your settings on the PS4 Pro?

I've noticed that forcing YUV instead of leaving it on automatic allows me a lot more options in the settings on my TV.

The projector may not be automatically adjusting correctly from RGB to YUV when HDR turns on.

Meciu

So I waited a bit but finally decided to give my day one OG PS4 to my brother and buy myself a PRO. Apparently there's no fucking way to get a PS4 PRO in Poland right now. Sure, maybe You can get it online but in all the stores I went to (even the smaller ones) there was only the slim version available. What a bummer. I would never even think that this could sell out lol.

Update: Apparently even most of the online stores don't have it right now. Everywhere I go there's a "Out of Stock" sign ;/

So my Pro just died on me. The fan started making this weird noise, sounded like snoring, then the coil whined. Last night I was playing FFXV and the console shut off.

When I turn it on, the console's blue light turns on then shut the system off

III-V

So my Pro just died on me. The fan started making this weird noise, sounded like snoring, then the coil whined. Last night I was playing FFXV and the console shut off.

When I turn it on, the console's blue light turns on then shut the system off

Damn that sucks. You let the smoke out. That's what keeps it running.

Sounds almost like something got wrapped up in the fan coil and stopped it, and when it could not cool, it died.

Have you verified the power coming out of the outlet with some other device? No doubt.

Better get on the horn with Sony.

The Dude

Stupid question, but have you tried bypassing the avr? I'm no expert, but your last statement seems like you know exactly where the problem is...HDR needs 2020, but your avr doesn't pass that. I have the same issue, and have to wire my pro direct to the tv.

What are your settings on the PS4 Pro?

I've noticed that forcing YUV instead of leaving it on automatic allows me a lot more options in the settings on my TV.

The projector may not be automatically adjusting correctly from RGB to YUV when HDR turns on.

Yea what it was actually was I had the wrong conversions set In my avr, so it wasn't passing thru properly.

But overall this projector with my 1080 on Pc and my ps4 pro is incredible. The pro is definitely holding its own that's for sure.

Really dying to see Horizon running on it

Hi folks, sorry if there is a dedicated topic to this very question, but I've been banned for a while so I have been out of the discussion since the Pro launched.

I was thinking about getting a PS4 pro in January, and I realize some 4k tvs out there might be better than others in terms of latency and other factors.

My question is relatively simple, what is the lowest costing, yet still good performing 4ktv out there that would go good with a PS4 Pro?

EmiPrime

Hi folks, sorry if there is a dedicated topic to this very question, but I've been banned for a while so I have been out of the discussion since the Pro launched.

I was thinking about getting a PS4 pro in January, and I realize some 4k tvs out there might be better than others in terms of latency and other factors.

My question is relatively simple, what is the lowest costing, yet still good performing 4ktv out there that would go good with a PS4 Pro?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276558

Thanks for the link to the info. Any idea if the price on that set is expected to go up after the holidays? Probably would be buying a set around the same time as the ps4 pro.
Considering it was $600 back in September, the price could actually go down after the holidays.

It's currently $650 with one left in stock on Amazon.

eFKac

So I waited a bit but finally decided to give my day one OG PS4 to my brother and buy myself a PRO. Apparently there's no fucking way to get a PS4 PRO in Poland right now. Sure, maybe You can get it online but in all the stores I went to (even the smaller ones) there was only the slim version available. What a bummer. I would never even think that this could sell out lol.

Update: Apparently even most of the online stores don't have it right now. Everywhere I go there's a "Out of Stock" sign ;/

Yup there is pretty much complete lack of stock in Warsaw and outskirts.
My shop was pretty much the last one to have some stock because my boss got a couple of consoles in Radom, sold out yesterday for 1999 PLN and would have sold way more at that price if we had more.

danthefan

I've been given a PS4 slim for Xmas to replace my crapped out launch console. I think it makes sense for me return it and try get a Pro instead, so will do so after Xmas. Really hope they have stock. Looking forward to it!

BenJafaar

Neo Member
Hey i Hope someone here can help me with a problem I've got regarding sound on the PS4 Pro.

I have the problem that using my mobile phone(watching videos etc) while someone is on the ps4 and listening to game/movie sound over headphones(connected to Dualshock or using Sony Gold Headset), the sound starts to cut of.

I tried different headphones and even got a new PS4Pro from Amazon but it still happens.
Never did this happen on my old OG PS4.

What can I do to make this stop?

PS4 Pro is connect with cable, not wifi.
I changed the wireless channel on my router but that didn't help. I don't know what to do anymore...

kakashi08

Got the KDL-65W850A with the white ps4 destiny bundle and a $400 best buy gift card.
Now should I get the PS4 PRO with the gift card and sell my white ps4, how much is the resale value of the white destiny bundle ps4?

Samus4145

Pro is a must for PSVR, IMO

So, just unpacked my brand new ps4 pro an hour ago. Set up process was smooth and easy. I have only one game : SFV. I liked a lot what i have seen. Now is the time to hunt some bargains to build my library. Go sales, go !

Get Titanfall 2 on PSN right now.
Well, not at all into fps, but i might dive in aong theway..
So since basically this morning, here is my new library :
Flower
Journey
Street fighter V (disc)
Firewatch
Rocket league
Virginia

+ the ones i got for free due to ps+ sub i think :
Invisible
Don't starve
Color guardians
Hyper void
Sportsfriends
Stories : the path of destinies
Child of light
Trine 2
Resogun
Pixeljunk ultimate shooter
Tiny troopers joint ops
Warframe
Dead nation
War thunder
Contrast

For the ones i purchased, Got those discounted on psn. For games getting a physical release, i prefer getting the disc version. R&C was damned tempting at €16 with ps+ discount...but i resisted.
Well, some games for my pro to test...

Codiox

Well, not at all into fps, but i might dive in aong theway..
So since basically this morning, here is my new library :
Flower
Journey
Street fighter V (disc)
Firewatch
Rocket league
Virginia

+ the ones i got for free due to ps+ sub i think :
Invisible
Don't starve
Color guardians
Hyper void
Sportsfriends
Stories : the path of destinies
Child of light
Trine 2
Resogun
Pixeljunk ultimate shooter
Tiny troopers joint ops
Warframe
Dead nation
War thunder
Contrast

And not one of them got a ps4 pro patch :D

Get Hitman ASAP and see the glory of a PS4 Pro!

Lady Gaia

And not one of them got a ps4 pro patch :D

Not entirely true. Firewatch was patched, and while I haven't done extensive A/B testing I did notice the expanded color gamut for title screens and resolution benefits contributing to reduced aliasing. I'm looking forward to doing a complete new playthrough on the Pro at some point.

For those that transferred data from the OG PS4 to the Pro I have a question about a pet peeve that's been bugging me. I have a Sony Bravia W800 TV and I kept the OG PS4 plugged into MHL/HDMI and the tv knew the PS4 as MHL/HDMI PlayStation. Since getting the Pro at launch I did a data Transfer but I swapped out the OG PS4 from MHL/HDMI and hooked the Pro into there and put the OG PS4 in HDMI 2. Well now my PS4 Pro's input is called MHL/ CTLR 2 PlayStation 4 and there is also 2 inputs that the tv is picking up for the Pro. If I unplug my TV while its turned off and unplug the HDMI cable from the pro and plug it back in will it correct the HDMI error for me?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda nervous to open my PS4 Pro. I hate that it's basically a lottery as to whether you get a quiet one, or one that sounds like a leaf blower. I lost the lottery with the PS3, won with the OG PS4... hopefully this one will turn out fine, too. I guess I can just return it if it's noisy. But still -- kinda a pain to have to test the thing to make sure it's not a dud.

EmiPrime

Kinda nervous to open my PS4 Pro. I hate that it's basically a lottery as to whether you get a quiet one, or one that sounds like a leaf blower. I lost the lottery with the PS3, won with the OG PS4... hopefully this one will turn out fine, too. I guess I can just return it if it's noisy. But still -- kinda a pain to have to test the thing to make sure it's not a dud.

Just make sure it has a lot of space, it makes a big difference. Mine was very loud but as soon as I made more space between it and the back of the furniture it became very quiet during most games. Because of the shape of the console (and the ridiculous depth of it), it's quite deceptive as to how much space it needs for proper air flow.

If anything I think my PSVR break out box is louder than my Pro in almost all situations (I hate that thing).

Top Bottom