• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Melchiah

Just setup your OG PS4 how you want things on the PS4 Pro, and it will handle all that when you do the transfer. To do the transfer, just have both units hooked up to ethernet, and when you do the initial setup of the PS4 Pro it will ask if you want to do a transfer. If you answer "yes", it will walk you through the steps. It was really easy, but since I didn't think to clean off my PS4, the transfer took 8 hours.

Huh, it took me only a couple of hours to transfer +300GB of data on 100Mbps connection.

Pennywise

Just thought of something... In the future is it possible that PS4 Pro support could be locked behind a pay wall?

For instance, Pro support included with deluxe edition... Or upgrade to Pro edition DLC...

Would kind of be a dick move, but if Sony allows it I'd fully expect to see publishers doing this to make a bit more money...

That said, if it happens it better be a damned fine upgrade with no drawbacks compared to standard PS4...
No. They can't charge you for updates like this.

A dev on here said that they're not allowed to. Plus it seems like a pretty stupid idea to exclude a certain platform.

Cool, good thing Sony won't allow it, otherwise we'd be getting charged for Pro patches.

If they did it, though, they wouldn't be excluding a platform... you'd still get the base PS4 game, you'd just have to pay for the Pro patch... But, like I said, it'd be a dick move and I'm glad Sony is apparently not allowing it.

Azdoune

Hello,

I think I'm gonna buy a PS4 PRO, and I want to know which games can you recommand?

For your information, I already have a PS4, I want to know which games are really better on Pro.

Anyone can confirm 1080p on Uncharted 4 survival?

PS : I already have Ratchet and Clanck.

Thanks!

madmackem

Hello,

I think I'm gonna buy a PS4 PRO, and I want to know which games can you recommand?

For your information, I already have a PS4, I want to know which games are really better on Pro.

Thanks!
Well mp is now 1080p and tbh I might be going mad but having played some survival it might be higher than 1080p.

dano1

A Sheep
Hello,

Thanks!

Battlefield 1 is awesome on the pro if you like shooters.

Basomanb

Neo Member
I know that BF1 was patched to include pro support. Is this enabled automatically when playing the game on the Pro, because I couldn't find anything in the settings?
If so, why do some games have the Pro enhancements inside the settings menu and why do other games just activate it automatically. Isn't there a standard for this?

Massa

I know that BF1 was patched to include pro support. Is this enabled automatically when playing the game on the Pro, because I couldn't find anything in the settings?
If so, why do some games have the Pro enhancements inside the settings menu and why do other games just activate it automatically. Isn't there a standard for this?

Supported games are enhanced automatically. Some games have an option so you can pick which kind of enhancement you want - usually a pick between better performance or better graphics. You don't really have to mess with settings or anything.

No. They can't charge you for updates like this.

Lol to say they "can't charge" is foolish.

If they will or not, nobody knows. Depends on how angry people would be and how many would pay.

I would say it doesn't make sense with the pro username being small now but maybe in the future.

Basomanb

Neo Member
Supported games are enhanced automatically. Some games have an option so you can pick which kind of enhancement you want - usually a pick between better performance or better graphics. You don't really have to mess with settings or anything.

Alright thanks!

No hints this year :p

I get ya ;-)

dAjlDLa.png

Lady Gaia

A year ago you couldn't release games on console that were unfinished/early access. Things can change. I'm sure that publishers have brought it up.

I don't get why this is any different than worrying whether there would be DLC required to play on Sunday. Or to avoid watching an ad every ten minutes. Or any number of other horrible potential futures.

Developers and publishers have incentive to make their product attractive, and Sony has incentive to make sure that the premium priced PS4 Pro customer feels they got their money's worth and aren't being taken advantage of. Both would be punished by the market for straying too far and they know it.

Would anyone be able to help me with this situation? My google powers have failed me.

I'm getting a Pro today and I want to move the 2TB hard drive in my PS4 to my Pro. Anyone have a link to explain the suggested process?

THANKS

AndyD

aka andydumi
Would anyone be able to help me with this situation? My google powers have failed me.

I'm getting a Pro today and I want to move the 2TB hard drive in my PS4 to my Pro. Anyone have a link to explain the suggested process?

THANKS

Do you want to keep data or not? That makes the biggest difference in the process you need to take.

Holy shit, I just bought one of these things. Please tell me everything is gonna be alright, GAF.

I'm not sure anymore.

I don't understand why Sony doesn't announce more first party support. They should have funded FROM software to add support to Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. We should have heard from Bungie by now.

I just downloaded a 8GB patch for Street Fighter V, and no PS4 support was added.

Loudninja

I'm not sure anymore.

I don't understand why Sony doesn't announce more first party support. They should have funded FROM software to add support to Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. We should have heard from Bungie by now.

I just downloaded a 8GB patch for Street Fighter V, and no PS4 support was added.
What?

All upcoming first party games has support.

What?

All upcoming first party games has support.

Sure, future first party games. I'm aware of that.

Games with new season passes like Street Fighter V need support though. If Capcom doesn't want to fund the additional development, Sony should step in.

Are you happy with Bloodborne/Destiny never receiving support?

Melchiah

Games with new season passes like Street Fighter V need support though. If Capcom doesn't want to fund the additional development, Sony should step in.

I'd love to have supersampling and the pre-release lighting for Bloodborne, but Destiny is nearing its end. Even the OT is slowing down. Better spend their resources for the sequel.

A regular problem I have with my Pro that I didn't have with my day one OG is that if I swap discs to another game, the disc isn't recognised as a PS4 game unless I restart the console. Really annoying.

Humdinger

Holy shit, I just bought one of these things. Please tell me everything is gonna be alright, GAF.

You're doomed. Dooomed! Actually, no, it is a good decision. You're in the best position to enjoy the next 3 or 4 years of PS4 exclusives, plus anything else you play on your PS4.

mileS

Out of all the devs that would be totally down to patch a game to take advantage of the PS4 Pro it would be CD Projekt Red. They spent a large chunk of time patching and doing expansion packs, on top of that they released that completed edition. After that was done, every bit of staff was moved to Gwent (huge push right now) and Cyberpunk. Both games are in the thick of it and I bet they have next to nobody with time for a Pro patch. It's really sad but hey I understand. I am proud of the community pushing for it though, thats what we need to show them just how much its wanted. I honestly think it would benefit Gwent coming out next year as well.

Now that being said, I heard some stories of dev's taking a couple dudes a little weekend project for a Pro patch. I guess it depends on the engine to a large degree. Very much worth it in the end. Keeps the game being talked about and played (also creates new sales in most cases)

SlickVic

For Destiny? Can't say I really mind. I'd love a 60 FPS locked on PvE activities, but I'd much rather they focus their time and effort on Destiny 2 at this point. From my personal experience, the game feels like a locked 30 FPS with rare exceptions so I can't complain too much about framerate.

In terms of improving graphics with the added power of the Pro, that's probably more effort than it's worth at this point. There was never a PC version for this game with extra graphic effects and thus the current gen consoles were the most powerful hardware they built the game for. I'd imagine going back to their engine to make any significant improvement to the graphics is more effort than it's worth, especially for a studio that's likely all hands on deck for the sequel at this point.

I hope Destiny 2 makes good use of the Pro. But Destiny 1 is honestly so late in its life at this point I never really expected Pro support.

So, after a couple of hours with it I can say that the Pro is a nice upgrade. It is pretty in person compared to all those pics I've seen on the internet.

Rise of the Tomb Raider at 60 FPS is a gamechanger. The 4K mode looks super clean and I can't see the difference between the enhanced visuals mode and the basic one. Next it was Titanfall 2. Looks clean as hell compared to the basic version, which doesn't look bad at all but you can notice the sub-1080p res. I'm about to play UC4 and I've heard the RE7 Demo is Pro enabled? I'll give that a try too. I also own Mafia 3 but I already beat the game so I don't know if I'm gonna install it again.

The console is super quiet compared to my Launch PS4. It also install games way faster. TF2 took me an hour to install on the basic, while it was less than 30 minutos on the Pro.

The only negatives are:

-Downloads are still shit (wired), capped sometimes at 7 mbps out of my 40 mbps, so it's time for me to blame anyone but my ISP, considering Steam and everything else is freaking fast.

-After playing RotTR, I swapped discs with tf2 and the console was unable to read the disc, showing a message about the issue. Now, the disc WAS dirty with fingerprints (I don't wanna blame my 4 years old nephew but...) So I'll have to do more testing to see if this is a hardware issue or not.

MAX PAYMENT

Is it just me or does FFXV look pretty terrible at high res and lite mode?

Like dithering everywhere. Distance objects don't look clean and the hair just looks off.

deadfolk

So I just got a 4k TV and things mostly look great. Especially Ratchet and Clank.

The one thing that's bugging me is FFXV. I genuinely cannot tell the difference between HDR enabled and disabled for this game... other than one thing. The brightness calibration screen in the settings. With HDR on, I cannot see the image on the right, no matter how high or low I set it. I'm guessing that's a bug, but I'm concerned that I cannot see an improvement with HDR, considering other games look great, and I've seen people raving over HDR in this game.

Anyone else tried HDR in FFXV?

Lady Gaia

So I just got a 4k TV and things mostly look great. Especially Ratchet and Clank.

The one thing that's bugging me is FFXV. I genuinely cannot tell the difference between HDR enabled and disabled for this game... other than one thing. The brightness calibration screen in the settings. With HDR on, I cannot see the image on the right, no matter how high or low I set it. I'm guessing that's a bug, but I'm concerned that I cannot see an improvement with HDR, considering other games look great, and I've seen people raving over HDR in this game.

Anyone else tried HDR in FFXV?

I haven't tried with the latest patch, but I have no problems with the calibration images on my KS8000 with HDR enabled. What display are you using? With what contrast settings? I calibrated with refrerence material and had to back off contrast to 97 to avoid clipping highlights.

deadfolk

I haven't tried with the latest patch, but I have no problems with the calibration images on my KS8000 with HDR enabled. What display are you using? With what contrast settings? I calibrated with refrerence material and had to back off contrast to 97 to avoid clipping highlights.

It's a Sony XD80 (X800D in US) - I know it's not the best HDR set in the world, but other HDR stuff looks great to me. I used a combination of a calibration disc, some Gaf user suggested settings and a few of my own tweaks - purely for brightness/contrast/etc. Never touched the advanced colour stuff. It's hard to believe that my image settings are so out of whack that I cannot see the image.

Will try again later. Maybe something was bugging out after all the switching I was doing yesterday.

Edit: Seems my contrast was too high. Looks like imma have to do the calibration again.

Top Bottom