• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

DBT85

Should it look like this?

14991030_10154384829467935_6878096699298129288_o.jpg

No. Check your settings.

What do you guys think of using a PRO on the ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift monitor? Will the pro downsample to 1440P?

I'm not buying a 4k tv anytime soon, my 1080P 46" TV is decent, but my monitor blows it out of the water as far as colour and response time goes.

Decent investment?

I think the Pro will only output in 1080 or 2160. So in your case it'll probably do 1080 which the monitor will upcale. Hopefully someone who has tried it can tell you more though!

Pretty sure it doesn't support 1440p so it should downsample to 1080p

Man ratchet and clank looks so bloody good, so clean..

That kind of sucks, so pretty much I should be holding off then, I guess IPS should still offer a nice downsampled image with better colours, to buy or not to buy :(

Thanks for the quick answer.

AkIRA_22

Managed to turn it by pushing that button freakin hard but now the console is flashing blue and the screen resolution is constantly switching with no actual image...

Edit: Changed the hdmi cable and it's working now... but goddamn the power button is absolute trash.

Turn the console off completely (hold power button until second beep) then turn on by holding power for 7 seconds (until second beep) this will launch Safe Mode you should be able to find an option that can help out, change resolution or restore default settings. If all else fails download the 4.05 software and "reinitialize" your system. WARNING Initializing will wipe your console.

EDIT: NVM posted before your edit, good work.

chaosaeon

With all the talk of HDR and 4K no one's really talked about vertical VS horizontal. I remember when vertical was bad for the longevity of either PS3 or PS4, something about airflow, temperatures and heat dissipation or the disc drive or something. Is it too early to know what the verdict is for the Pro ? Are there vents in both of the gaps between the 3 layers ?

Nick

So now iam8bit is quoting the physical copies of Rez Infinite as December of 2016. God, I hate that fucking company. I will never be duped by them again.

Seth

No. Check your settings.

Hm I ran though limited and full rgb. All looked the same. Setting it to YUV420 washed out the color. Setting to rgb or automatic made it look like the screenshot.

AVS forum people were recommending to set it all to automatic, which I have tried.

The screen was from the share button, which should have nothing to do with my tv settings right?

Darknight

Offtopic, does anyone have a good recommendation for a power strip for electronics? (for 4K TV, PS4pro, home theater etc)

Looking for one to take care of our equipment!!

No. Check your settings.

I think the Pro will only output in 1080 or 2160. So in your case it'll probably do 1080 which the monitor will upcale. Hopefully someone who has tried it can tell you more though!

Thanks, so pretty much I should avoid the PRO if I have a 1440P monitor,good to know.

DjRalford

lol I forgot about that too, but I'll have to try with a blu-ray movie cause it's been over a year since the last time I owned a game disc.

Luckily i still have Killzone from the starter bundle on release in 2013, actually now i think of it i think i still have Dragon Age inquisition too.

DBT85

Hm I ran though limited and full rgb. All looked the same. Setting it to YUV420 washed out the color. Setting to rgb or automatic made it look like the screenshot.

AVS forum people were recommending to set it all to automatic, which I have tried.

The screen was from the share button, which should have nothing to do with my tv settings right?

Hmm. Not sure what else to suggest really. Are you using the same HDMI input you've used for movies?

I just saw this on the rtings review when talking about supported resolutions

Update 10/14/2016: Retested with the newest 2.2.7.4 firmware update. Support for chroma subsampling is expected to be applied in a future firmware update.

Wondering if it's because your Pro is outputting 4:2:2 and the TV doesn't like it maybe? Also from the thread on HardForum, it seems that HDMI 5 has different support than 1-4?

Thanks, so pretty much I should avoid the PRO if I have a 1440P monitor,good to know.

We'll if its a choice of a PS4 or a Pro, a Pro will still look better. Though its not the ideal solution, the Pro rendering at over 1080, supersampling down to 1080 and then your screen scaling back up to 1440 will look cleaner than just having a PS4 render at 1080 and your monitor upscaling to 1440.

For reference, I have a PC with a 6700k and a 1080 in it and play at 3440x1440.

Finally got all of the backing up and updating done with my Pro and Ratchet was the first thing I launched and it looks "holy fuck" good (that's what I said out loud when I saw it). Seriously incredible. Pretty much as amazing as seeing DOOM at 4K/60 on the same screen (powered by the PC). No HDR unfortunately for me yet.

Uncharted 4 I didn't really notice too much of a difference though, at least the difference wasn't as instantly noticeable as Ratchet.

Unfortunately UC4 is just a plain 1440p upscale. No trickery or anything so it is a little underwhelming.

Yeah I knew that going into UC4 which is why I tested it next. I'm curious to test TLOU since it's got the two modes. See if the image quality change is really noticable between 1800p and 2160p.

For reference, I have a PC with a 6700k and a 1080 in it and play at 3440x1440.

Finally got all of the backing up and updating done with my Pro and Ratchet was the first thing I launched and it looks "holy fuck" good (that's what I said out loud when I saw it). Seriously incredible. Pretty much as amazing as seeing DOOM at 4K/60 on the same screen (powered by the PC). No HDR unfortunately for me yet.

Uncharted 4 I didn't really notice too much of a difference though, at least the difference wasn't as instantly noticeable as Ratchet.
Unfortunately UC4 is just a plain 1440p upscale. No trickery or anything so it is a little underwhelming.

--

I'm really enjoying my Pro so far. Just been playing ROTTR in the 4K mode and a little bit of the new FFXV demo and it's just so nice having nearly all of the aliasing eliminated. Really great work.

We'll if its a choice of a PS4 or a Pro, a Pro will still look better. Though its not the ideal solution, the Pro rendering at over 1080, supersampling down to 1080 and then your screen scaling back up to 1440 will look cleaner than just having a PS4 render at 1080 and your monitor upscaling to 1440.

I already have a PS4 and used it on my monitor and it looks decent, I'm just trying to see if spending $500 will be worth it for a machine that will just down sample and then upscale.

So pretty much PS4 PRO on a 1080P TV will look worse then on my 1440P monitor, right?

I understand it's not that clear cut but pretty much it will still look superior then on a 1080P display, right?

Thanks.

Hey guys. I have a 28inch Samsung Monitor 4k.

Yet for some reason, when I go to the sound and screen option settings on the PS4, the 2160p options are labeled as unsupported. The fuck?

This is my monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YD3DBOC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It even says this:

Connectivity for UHD-compatible devices
You can connect multiple Ultra HD devices, like PCs and gaming consoles, to the UE590. There are two HDMI inputs as well as one Display Port input on the back panel. Enjoy upgraded HDMI support with an upgraded HDMI (v2.0) that supports UHD resolutions at a 60Hz refresh rate, so 4K content plays smoothly without delay.

Should I try different HDMI cables?

DjRalford

Yet for some reason, when I go to the sound and screen option settings on the PS4, the 2160p options are labeled as unsupported. The fuck?

This is my monitor:

It even says this:

You can connect multiple Ultra HD devices, like PCs and gaming consoles, to the UE590. There are two HDMI inputs as well as one Display Port input on the back panel. Enjoy upgraded HDMI support with an upgraded HDMI (v2.0) that supports UHD resolutions at a 60Hz refresh rate, so 4K content plays smoothly without delay.

According to the Q&A it only supports 4k 60hz over displayport

What is the refresh rate at 4k?
DisplayPort 1.2 : 60Hz
HDMI 1.4 : 30Hz

EDIT
Reviewers say likewise
"Something to note if you haven't done much research yet is that this monitor will not give you 60Hz with HDMI, you will only get 30Hz,"

DBT85

I already have a PS4 and used it on my monitor and it looks decent, I'm just trying to see if spending $500 will be worth it for a machine that will just down sample and then upscale.

So pretty much PS4 PRO on a 1080P TV will look worse then on my 1440P monitor, right?

I understand it's not that clear cut but pretty much it will still look superior then on a 1080P display, right?

Thanks.

A Pro rendering a game at say 1440p and downsampling to 1080 will look better on a 1080 screen than it will on a 1440p screen.

When on a 1080 screen, the image is simply downsampled and that's it.

To use a 1440 screen, the image will first be down sampled to 1080 to output to the monitor, which will then upscale back to 1440.

If your screen can somehow accept a 2160p image and downsample it itself, then all is good.

However. A Pro doing all that on your 1440 screen will look better than a PS4 on a 1080 screen or your 1440 screen.

A Pro rendering a game at say 1440p and downsampling to 1080 will look better on a 1080 screen than it will on a 1440p screen.

When on a 1080 screen, the image is simply downsampled and that's it.

To use a 1440 screen, the image will first be down sampled to 1080 to output to the monitor, which will then upscale back to 1440.

If your screen can somehow accept a 2160p image and downsample it itself, then all is good.

However. A Pro doing all that on your 1440 screen will look better than a PS4 on a 1080 screen or your 1440 screen.

Perfect, thanks man you explained it perfectly, I understand completely, pretty much it will be a gamble as it depends on the studio and the resolution the game will downsample from. So I will be holding off the pro even if it does look better then the PS4, just not worth the investment for slightly better image.

So anyone with a Pro and Ratchet and Clank who played that on Base PS4, does the Pro fix the FPS issues at all? Like the Pixelater mixed in with other enemies and stuff just tanks the frame rate for me every now and then on my regular PS4, more so than I expected sometimes.

According to the Q&A it only supports 4k 60hz over displayport

What is the refresh rate at 4k?
DisplayPort 1.2 : 60Hz
HDMI 1.4 : 30Hz

EDIT
Reviewers say likewise
"Something to note if you haven't done much research yet is that this monitor will not give you 60Hz with HDMI, you will only get 30Hz,"

Anyway to convert the HDMI out from PS4 to a display port in to the TV? Will that work?

CaLe

Fuck EBGames employees and their shitty attitudes for making a ps4 pro trade in the most laborious shit ever.

It's as if they worked in a hospital all day long and saw horrible things that made them hate life.

SeanR1221

Playing infamous first light and the game is definitely dark but not in a black crush way. I mean it is night time and when I switch HDR everything almost looks too bright (like the lights on the cars have much less natural looking light)

It yeah. Certain alleyways are almost black

taoofjord

Titanfall 2 is great on the pro. The resolution bump looks great on a 4K TV.

I can also confirm that Infamous First Light has a poorly implemented HDR mode (using a Samsung KS8000). Way too much contrast.

Probably been asked a thousand times:

Do I have to manually download patches for pro enabled games or are they updated automatically?

Danke

jorgejjvr

Hey guys....I already have a ps4 but I have an hdr 4k tv.

I'm thinking of buying a Pro and giving the other to my younger brother.

Are there any expected black friday specials for the Pro coming?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Anyway to convert the HDMI out from PS4 to a display port in to the TV? Will that work?

I've been looking into this myself. So far I haven't found an HDMI->DisplayPort active converter that can handle 4K60.

(I have the same problem on a BenQ 32" 4K with HDMI 1.4 ports)

just buy an adapter, they're a couple of quid, or a displayport to HDMI cable, just make sure it supports high speed for 4k 60hz

So if I'm sending an HDMI out from the PS4, then converting it to the display port in via adapter, would that still give me 4k at 60 hz?

If it was that simple it seems kind of silly that they wouldn't just do that internally in the monitor's hardware?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0144NS4Z6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Because this thing right here looks like it caps out at 4k30hz, and thus I'll be facing the same problems as before right?

I've been looking into this myself. So far I haven't found an HDMI->DisplayPort active converter that can handle 4K60.

(I have the same problem on a BenQ 32" 4K with HDMI 1.4 ports)

Yeah, it sucks. I got the Pro thinking it would be put my 4k monitor to good use but it seems if it's not 4k60 the Pro won't recognize it.

And yeah, any converters will just give you 4k30 which is just replicating the problem.

The UPTab DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a Active Adapter enables your DisplayPort supported computer to connect to an HDMI UltraHD display. This adapter is ideal for those engaged in high level computing, gaming and graphics by providing the highest performance available. With HDMI 2.0a throughput up to 18Gbps, the DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a adapter is ideal for when 4K video combined with a smooth, 60Hz frame rate is desired.

Connect the DisplayPort end of the connector to your computer and plug your existing HDMI cable from the display into the adapter. The adapter converts the DisplayPort video signal into an HDMI signal at up to UHD 4K 4096x2160@60Hz.

Hmm, unfortunately it seems this product is in reverse from what I need. This looks like it's talking about converting a Display Port output to a HDMI input.

I need an HDMI output converted to a Display Port input while maintaining 4k60. I found one that does 4k30, but the Pro won't register that.

This is my monitor:

It even says this:

Just to be thorough, have you tried both HDMI ports?

According to this they say both ports are 2.0 (although that Amazon Q&A indeed said it's 1.4), however a user posted that it may just be HDMI 2 that properly supports 2.0 if either of them do, did you try plugging it into that one and then restarting the system and going back into Screen and Sound to see if it enabled at least one of the two 4K settings?
http://4k.com/monitor/a-review-of-t...e590-28-inch-screen-u28e590d-led-lit-monitor/

Out of curiosity, when you go to Video Output Information what does it show for current video and particularly HDCP?

This is small but I have to ask. If I wasn't chasing a 2 year old around I wound take a pic. On the console itself, when you power it on (laying the console flat). The light on the disc tray shat goes across the front does not loook evenly distributed. It's hard to explain and may be designed that way.

Titanfall 2 already contains the enhancements on disc? Or am I missing an update that my PS4 Pro just hasn't queued properly?

The box will say Enhanced with Pro, in this case TitanFall 2 doesn't come with Pro features in the disc, the path does it for you, is what I am told. The patch is just 90megs and then there's another patch that downloads once you boot the game to the main screen. FYI, the game looks superb on Pro, both SP and MP, 1080p supersampled 60fps!

Have you tried both HDMI ports?

According to this they say both ports are 2.0, however a user posted that it may just be HDMI 2 that properly supports 2.0 if either of them do, did you try plugging it into that one and then restarting the system and going back into Screen and Sound to see if it enabled at least one of the two 4K settings?
http://4k.com/monitor/a-review-of-t...e590-28-inch-screen-u28e590d-led-lit-monitor/

Out of curiosity, when you go to Video Output Information what does it show for current video and particularly HDCP?

Ok I tried HDMI port 2. The two 2160p options are still blacked out. Under video output information it says : 1920 x 1080p - 60hz. Color Format RGB, HDR Not supported. HDCP 1.4

breakfuss

This is small but I have to ask. If I wasn't chasing a 2 year old around I wound take a pic. On the console itself, when you power it on (laying the console flat). The light on the disc tray shat goes across the front does not loook evenly distributed. It's hard to explain and may be designed that way.

What are you asking? If that's how it's supposed to look? Yeah, I believe others raised that concern earlier. Looking at mine now and it fades to the right.

So I pulled the trigger on the hamburger of a console. I don't know what game I should play/buy to play in 4K. What is the "must play". I hear Ratchet and Clank is amazing but I have never liked a R&C game (granted I haven't played one since early PS3)

I know what you mean, mine is the same way but I think it's by design. It fades to nothing too quickly on the right side but if you think about it the OG PS4 does the same towards the back.

Tried to fix my issue with PlayStation support in a variety of ways:

- Turn HDR to Auto
- Set it to 1080
- Try different HDMI cables
- Try different HDMI ports
- Factory Reset
- Try different tv

Nothing worked. At least Amazon will send a replacement so long as I exchange this one. Still sucks though.

Top Bottom