• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Stealth

I'm having a hell of a time trying to transfer my HDD data over. I've tried both the WiFi + Direct LAN method with 2 different cables as well as the LAN-Router-LAN method. Both result in the same issue.

Process:
1. Turn on each PS4
2. On PS4P, open up transfer option. Start process.
3. PS4P identifies other PS4 on network. I get prompt screen to press power button for 1 second on the PS4. I do so.
4. Next screen asks if I'm ready to transfer. I begin transfer process.
5. Loading screen pops up for about 30 seconds. Then, an error screen: "LAN cable not plugged in."

At this point, the old PS4 is in data transfer mode if I switch over to it on the TV, and it requires a forced reboot to exit that status. If I try to back out and start the process again, I get Error CE-41655-1, which I can't find in Sony's help library.

I do have an upgraded SSHD in the PS4, but it's also a 1TB drive like the Pro, and definitely not full. The PS4 is working fine, too. Any suggestions, GAF?

dcx4610

Bought a Pro on a whim with a $150 trade in on the PS4. Initial impressions, the console looks a lot better in person. I didn't like the design at all in the pictures but it looks fine in person and the slant like the original helps the appearance.

I like physical buttons over touch buttons but the power and eject buttons definitely feel like garbage and feel like they are going to break.

The system feels sold and well built (other than the buttons) but appearance wise, it definitely doesn't look like a premium product. It reminds me a lot of the PS3 Slim overall.

The controller feels the same but I love the transparent strip on the touch pad so you can see the light on the controller. I always liked the idea of the light bar but it's pretty pointless when you can't even see it while you are playing a game. With the strip, you can easily see it now and can now be useful.

Today I finally got things set up with the HDD swap and PS4 data backup/restore

I must say I like the design of the console much more in person than from the photos. The light bar in the front is nice and better button placement.

I haven't had time today to check out any pro enabled games. But I put in several hours of remote play on vita if Dragon Quest Builders and the remote play performance was MUCH better. Hardly any stutters or pauses and before I'd get a lot.

I also can't wait to check out VR on the pro

Dynomutt

Playing Shadow of Mordor...so glad I waited. Question should I favor resolution or quality? Running PS4 Pro on a X800D? Favor resolution does seem a tad more crisp. Both have a tremendous picture.

Maybe someone got around to posting it already, but the Firecuda 2TB 2.5" SSHD is back on stock on Amazon for anyone that wanted to update to 2TB with slightly better loading performance for a decent price.

Link: http://a.co/hg18Gl2

not many left, managed to get my order in, should be here next week. :)

Luke_Wal

I'm really hoping one of you guys can help me out!

Vizio P50, PS4 Pro. Color Subsampling for the port (Port 3) is on, color space set to auto, Gamma 2.2. This same HDMI cable (the one that came with the TV) and port combination transmits 4K HDR on my Roku Premiere+.

However, in Video Output settings on PS4, when I go to Resolution, 2160p RGB is "unsupported." More troubling, however, is that in Video Output Information, under HDR on your TV, it says "Only 2K Supported. Your TV might support a higher quality color format and 4K HDR if you change its settings. Check your TV's settings."

What do I need to do?!?!

Stealth

I'm having a hell of a time trying to transfer my HDD data over. I've tried both the WiFi + Direct LAN method with 2 different cables as well as the LAN-Router-LAN method. Both result in the same issue.

Process:
1. Turn on each PS4
2. On PS4P, open up transfer option. Start process.
3. PS4P identifies other PS4 on network. I get prompt screen to press power button for 1 second on the PS4. I do so.
4. Next screen asks if I'm ready to transfer. I begin transfer process.
5. Loading screen pops up for about 30 seconds. Then, an error screen: "LAN cable not plugged in."

At this point, the old PS4 is in data transfer mode if I switch over to it on the TV, and it requires a forced reboot to exit that status. If I try to back out and start the process again, I get Error CE-41655-1, which I can't find in Sony's help library.

I do have an upgraded SSHD in the PS4, but it's also a 1TB drive like the Pro, and definitely not full. The PS4 is working fine, too. Any suggestions, GAF?

Well, looks like posting to GAF about this solved the problem. I did a hard reboot on both systems and tried once more... and it dropped me into the transfer process without a hitch. Guessing there may have been a router-side issue preventing the devices from speaking to each other. Either way, if anyone sees this error, just shut both devices down and give it another shot!

Arthur-Hucksake

Neo Member
Playing Shadow of Mordor...so glad I waited. Question should I favor resolution or quality? Running PS4 Pro on a X800D? Favor resolution does seem a tad more crisp. Both have a tremendous picture.

I prefer the Favor Resolution option. Just looks so crisp and sharp, like a moving picture. No jaggies anywhere.

Stoffinator

Came on just now to mention this, they are very bad. Like stiff and mushy, not a smooth click. Just overall unpleasant for a premium product.

I agree. Got mine today with a new tv and hate the buttons right away. It feels like I am going to break them every time I touch them. Anybody also notice with the front USB slots you really have to push the drive in to get them all the way in?

Luke_Wal

Did anyone test out XCOM 2?

As far as I can tell, XCOM 2 hasn't been updated yet, despite it being on the launch day patches list. I've tweeted at the XCOM account several times and gotten no response. The latest version of the game showing on my PS4 pro is still 1.01, which says "bug fixes," with no mention of 4K or HDR support. I'm very curious to see what the updates to this game are, and if they fix its junk framerate.

Ok I tried HDMI port 2. The two 2160p options are still blacked out. Under video output information it says : 1920 x 1080p - 60hz. Color Format RGB, HDR Not supported. HDCP 1.4

Hmmm, okay that makes sense, in the comments it seems to confirm this monitor is early enough that it doesn't support HDCP 2.2 (copy protection for stuff like UHD Blu-ray). But I think it's only the Amazon and Netflix apps require that for 4K streaming so far.

If you have the time you might want to try this guy's steps for a slightly different problem:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224034192&postcount=34

Even though it's giving you the right one, maybe try going into safe mode and forcing either Automatic or 1.4 for HDCP, the opposite of whatever it's default. As an older monitor maybe it's still confusing itself.

Sorry I don't have that monitor or I'd try myself in order to give you more help. :( Gonna try with my Asus eventually.

Edit: Nevermind the youtube video, it was before the pro and he's using a receiver in between so that's completely different...

Hmm, gamespot is giving me 150 dollars for my ps4.

Off of craig's list i'm sure i can do 200 dollars. but it's craigs list. If for some reason it breaks down on the buyer a year from now, it's going to cause all this drama and shit i'm sure. what would you guys do? safe and easy with gamestop or get more money via craigslist?

Off of craig's list i'm sure i can do 200 dollars. but it's craigs list. If for some reason it breaks down on the buyer a year from now, it's going to cause all this drama and shit i'm sure. what would you guys do? safe and easy with gamestop or get more money via craigslist?

Can you check at Amazon? I traded in mine at Amazon for around $190(COD BOIII PS4 500gig bundle)

SeanR1221

Drama? Final sale, there is no drama. You're not a company.

psychotron

Couldn't help it....I had to have it.

CLwmG4P.jpg

AuraWind

Neo Member
Surprise, I'm having issues running the PS4 Pro in 4K resolutions like a lot of you here.

I have an LG 79UB9800 which has HDCP 2.2 support on HDMI port 1. Unfortunately, both 2160p resolution options are grayed out for me when trying to change the resolution. I attempted the safe mode HDCP/Resolution fix suggested by people but the two 2160p resolutions remain grayed out.

Now here's what's interesting...

I have an Xbox One S that has no issues displaying in 4K.

I've also got an HDFury Linker which lets me deal with any HDCP issues and display almost anything I want regardless of copy protection schemes in place. This effectively let me play HDCP 2.2 content from my Xbox One S to my 10-bit color HDMI port which doesn't offer HDCP 2.2. This same device *should* bypass any issues from the PS4 and let me display 2160p resolutions but I have no luck with it either.

I really feel like this may be an issue with the PS4 firmware/OS that just doesn't support a wide variety of display sets very well.

Anyone else have this TV set or other LG sets with better luck?

Nintendad

As far as I can tell, XCOM 2 hasn't been updated yet, despite it being on the launch day patches list. I've tweeted at the XCOM account several times and gotten no response. The latest version of the game showing on my PS4 pro is still 1.01, which says "bug fixes," with no mention of 4K or HDR support. I'm very curious to see what the updates to this game are, and if they fix its junk framerate.

That would be a real bummer if the improvements/enhancements were on the disc and we won't be getting anything else. It could be like Dishonored 2 and Titanfall 2.

The Ummah

Banned
Thinking about doing an Amazon trade-in of my OG PS4 for a gift card and buying a Pro next week.

I'm just looking for personal opinions here.

I don't have a 4KTV, but I do have a 1080p TV and I am very much interested in purchasing a PSVR before the year is over as well. I'm so hyped to shit my pants playing Resident Evil 7 in January.

Should I jump in now? Any pros or cons to the Pro+VR scenario?

DjRalford

Thinking about doing an Amazon trade-in of my OG PS4 for a gift card and buying a Pro next week.

I don't have a 4KTV, but I do have a 1080p TV and I am very much interested in purchasing a PSVR before the year is over as well. I'm so hyped to shit my pants playing Resident Evil 7 in January.

There are only Pro's on a 1080P set to PSVR on Pro, as you won;t need to worry about swapping cables for HDR!

I thought the original PS4's PSVR output was good, Pro's is phenominal.

You do receive image improvement on a 1080p TV via super sampling. Also, many games have specific 1080p only modes like added graphical features or higher framerate.

There is no downside to jumping in now, other than the obvious price drops the Pro will receive through time but I'm sure you already know that.

QUESTION:

What is HDMI Device Link? It's unchecked in the settings menu. What does that do?

Sell it on craigslist, breaks the next week thats on them, as long as its working now, Ill probably put mines on craigslist but I just hate it, everyone wants to haggle, at least here in NYC, guess cant stop that.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Couldn't help it....I had to have it.

Just unboxed one, swapped hard drive, installed previous system back up and am currently installing game patches for games with updates. Can't wait tomorrow gon be fun.

Sunday, Dishonored 2, Watchdogs 2 Tuesday. Can't wait to see the difference PRO makes on games I've seen on the OG.

Merry early holidays GAF!

Sell it on craigslist, breaks the next week thats on them, as long as its working now, Ill probably put mines on craigslist but I just hate it, everyone wants to haggle, at least here in NYC, guess cant stop that.

Yeah, mine works. I take care of it. I'm not some immoral asshole who's selling something that it's on the verge of dying. But with technology you never know. What's fine one month can break on you the next.

But you're right, buyers risk. I guess I'll sell it on craig's list for 200.

The Ummah

Banned
There are only Pro's on a 1080P set to PSVR on Pro, as you won;t need to worry about swapping cables for HDR!

I thought the original PS4's PSVR output was good, Pro's is phenominal.

You do receive image improvement on a 1080p TV via super sampling. Also, many games have specific 1080p only modes like added graphical features or higher framerate.

There is no downside to jumping in now, other than the obvious price drops the Pro will receive through time but I'm sure you already know that.

Thank you very much for the feedback! Now back to reading impressions and oogling at screenshots :)

Shin-Ra

What's interesting to note (and a bit alarming) is how many people think they have 4k displays that won't be receiving a 4k signal.

I thought my samsung was good to go but apparently 4k @ 30hz with HDMI 1.4 is not going to give you a 4k signal from the Pro has it's considered "unsupported"

I only figured it out when I decided to double check the output settings and saw that all 2160p options were greyed out.

Did I just buy a 4k display at a small window period in which they were 4k but the HDMI was only accepting 1.4?

It seems a lot of you with 4k displays are good to go.

AkIRA_22

I've had some mixed results upgrading my stock HDD to a SSHD:

Game HDD SSHD

Uncharted 50.46 36.88
BF1 42.07 33.68
Shadows of Mordor 17.80 14.58
COD IW 27.74 36.55
Ratchet and Clank 10.69 7.57
TLOU 43.09 47.18

The formatting is wigging out.

Humdinger

So far I'm loving my Pro. Any indication from Osiris or Abdiel on how it's selling?

Abdiel said it's doing well from his perspective.

Originally Posted by Abdiel

Today was pretty great for the Pro. Sony sent us excellent shipments across all of my district, with more than enough for all each store's preorders, and then plenty of extra stock. We also had consistent interest throughout the day as people were coming in with active questions and regular purchasers. Almost all preorders were picked up at my home store before the end of the day.

I can't give actual numbers, but it definitely exceeded my initial expectations for the system. Very, very positive initial reception, with excellent momentum to build off of.

So I pulled the trigger on the hamburger of a console. I don't know what game I should play/buy to play in 4K. What is the "must play". I hear Ratchet and Clank is amazing but I have never liked a R&C game (granted I haven't played one since early PS3)

I know what you mean, mine is the same way but I think it's by design. It fades to nothing too quickly on the right side but if you think about it the OG PS4 does the same towards the back.

REZ Infinite, Area X is a must in 4K.

microdot

I've been getting lowball offers on the offerup app (similar to craigslist). One guy wanted to trade his BMX bike for it lol. And it doesn't help that black Friday deals will have a $250 slim bundle available soon. I'm leaning on trading it to gamestop for $150 credit since this is the best offer right now. Best buy is $120 and Amazon is around $140. The problem is I bought my ps4 pro from target and idk the best way to flip gamestop credit.

A question for anyone who has the Pro: Can you still go into the settings and disable HDCP like on the standard PS4? I use a capture card to record which would get blocked otherwise. Wanted to know before I drop cash on it.

DjRalford

A question for anyone who has the Pro: Can you still go into the settings and disable HDCP like on the standard PS4? I use a capture card to record which would get blocked otherwise. Wanted to know before I drop cash on it.

All settings are idnentical afaik, with exception of 2 new resolution selections.

I've been getting lowball offers on the offerup app (similar to craigslist). One guy wanted to trade his BMX bike for it lol. And it doesn't help that black Friday deals will have a $250 slim bundle available soon. I'm leaning on trading it to gamestop for $150 credit since this is the best offer right now. Best buy is $120 and Amazon is around $140. The problem is I bought my ps4 pro from target and idk the best way to flip gamestop credit.

Maybe buy a whole bunch of PSN Cards (10, 20, or whatever variety).

Without a doubt, you'll eventually spend 150 bucks on the PSN store right? Between games, DLC, tv shows, movies etc.

If you disable HDCP, I don't think you can play games at 4k output.

Top Bottom