• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Now I remeber why I never finished Infamous First Light. The gameplay sucks. Too bad because it looks so gorgeous now.

I loved the gameplay in Infamous SS. But for some reason FL is not as fun.

What's interesting to note (and a bit alarming) is how many people think they have 4k displays that won't be receiving a 4k signal.

I thought my samsung was good to go but apparently 4k @ 30hz with HDMI 1.4 is not going to give you a 4k signal from the Pro has it's considered "unsupported"

I only figured it out when I decided to double check the output settings and saw that all 2160p options were greyed out.

Did I just buy a 4k display at a small window period in which they were 4k but the HDMI was only accepting 1.4?

It seems a lot of you with 4k displays are good to go.

Yeah, it's a case of the first batch of 4K screens using older HDMI but it's weird, did you try his steps? Because HDMI 1.4 should presumably be okay for 4K/30

I have no idea if it will work for that particular monitor but I think it really might be worth give that safe mode process to restrict it to HDMI 1.4 and/or also HDCP 1.4 a try if you're considering keeping that monitor to at least try to get 4K working if you want, since the process came up again here:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/11/13600900/ps4-pro-4k-hdr-settings-guide-how-to

Some users have success with putting the PS4 Pro into safe mode — this can be achieved by turning the console off and holding the power button until you hear two beeps. From there, you can tinker with key settings like HDCP and display resolution. HDCP is a technology designed for copyright protection, but it also interferes with how a TV can display 4K images. You might have a TV that only has HDCP 1.4 ports, in which case you can restrict that setting option to see if it lets you bump resolution up to 4K.

ymgve

I'm getting insane black crush in Infamous First Light and I'm not even using HDR.

I think Infamous SS/FL always had crappy black crush. Both when I played it ages ago on a PC monitor and now when I tried it on my TV, when the warehouse at the start begins to burn, some areas inside are literally pitch black.

Kalentan

So resolution differences are okay for multiplayer but framerate needs to be the same? I was under the impression multiplayer had to be the same between PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Not exactly. If a PS4 MP game ran at 30 fps, it needs to run at 30 fps on PS4 Pro, but the Pro can have any assortment of other additions such as graphical. However if a game's framerate cap is 60 and the OG struggles to get 60, it's fine for the Pro to have a more consistant 60 FPS.

CrazyHal

Here's some Infinite Warfare Screens. Not the best looking 4k game i must say. Note that the game doesn't support HDR.

6mtLava.jpg

xtpzOaj.jpg

ZdYOsNt.jpg

OiD5LqG.jpg

Jafku

Hey guys. I have a 28inch Samsung Monitor 4k.

Yet for some reason, when I go to the sound and screen option settings on the PS4, the 2160p options are labeled as unsupported. The fuck?

This is my monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YD3DBOC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It even says this:

Connectivity for UHD-compatible devices
You can connect multiple Ultra HD devices, like PCs and gaming consoles, to the UE590. There are two HDMI inputs as well as one Display Port input on the back panel. Enjoy upgraded HDMI support with an upgraded HDMI (v2.0) that supports UHD resolutions at a 60Hz refresh rate, so 4K content plays smoothly without delay.

Should I try different HDMI cables?
I have the 24-inch version of this monitor. Make sure you are using the cable that came with the Pro. It will play at 4K 60HZ in HDMI 2 I believe

ghibli99

For anyone having problems with 2160p showing up in their video options when hooked up to a 4K, make sure you disable HDMI 1.4 on your monitor, which might require you going into safe mode on some PC monitors. We struggled with this for a couple days at work before someone helped us get this figured out. That might not be your particular issue, but it's something I know has helped quite a few others!

nashman

Pro BF1 doing way better in Pro resolution, fps, wifi and load times.(lighting seems better too?) My KDr is way better. Maybe the small sample size but feel the difrence in a good way

Evo X

For people with LG OLEDs, what HDR video settings are you using? I just set mine up a few hours ago and it's a lot to take in.

I only tried Ratchet and Clank. Looks fantastic for the most part, but I noticed banding in a few scenarios. I also don't know if it is an accurate image because this is my first time trying HDR. Have the PS4 set to 2160 RGB.

DBT85

For people with LG OLEDs, what HDR video settings are you using? I just set mine up a few hours ago and it's a lot to take in.

I only tried Ratchet and Clank. Looks fantastic for the most part, but I noticed banding in a few scenarios. I also don't know if it is an accurate image because this is my first time trying HDR. Have the PS4 set to 2160 RGB.

If you look at the settings again while the game is running you should see that its running in 4:2:2 in an HDR game. Maybe try running 4:2:0 and see if you still have the banding?

Really impressed with the PSVR visual improvements. For Rez, it's like the Vaseline filter has been removed and colors are definitely brighter.

For Thumper, the railing is so smoooth - no more jaggies! Colors seem brighter here too.

Off to try PSWorlds next!

Biggest improvement for Modern Warfare Remaster for me isn't the resolution boost. It's the fact that I'm the first one to appear on my team during the beginning of a MP match. Every single match, EVERY. Their have been a few ties though. Guess that's just a fellow Pro owner. It makes me feel cool even though it's completely meaningless lol.

madmackem

There's a strange narrative brewing with the pro and games media, the outrage is growing that the pro drops framerate by if you watch the videos is a few frames 2-3 or so while running games like Lou or skyrim in 4K, some like brad for giantbomb making it sound like the games run like shit etc. Feels like the mood out there is to look for the downside of day one pro and run with it no matter how small it is. I guess being outraged etc is the way everyone is now about everything.

KillerAJD

If anybody here has a 3D printer and wants to print some vertical stands instead of paying upwards of $25 for the official one (and doesn't mind it looking bootleg as all hell), I (very) quickly made these and printed a set out. They seem snug and keep the console from rocking. I can't guarantee how strong they'll be for you, but they seem to work well for me, and is just enough material to keep it steady.

As noted in the thingiverse post, the one in the photos is the shorter version that I then shrunk to 60% it's original height, and even at that size it seems to work great (and it cut the print time down to an hour which is much more manageable).

You can download the .STL file here -> LINK

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uLgwWdU.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Fubt8MW.jpg[/IMG]

**Honestly, thinking about the design of these some more, they are probably worse than just having the console there itself, haha, but people are welcome to try them out.

Added a new V2 version that has wider feet that should work much better.

I'm gonna get one tomorrow if the fan noise isn't as ridiculous as my launch PS4. My launch ps4 sounds like friggin hair dryer way too often. Please tell me the Pro is better. If so I'm down.

So did the transfer from my OG to the Pro; that went fine but took forever. Everything seems good on the Pro. Decide I'll start the factory reset on my OG. Turns on, but no signal to the TV. Yay.

zedge

Out of my library of games I am most impressed with Paragon so far. Damn this game is gorgeous. The upgrade is pretty dramatic if you played it on the base PS4 previously.

Last of Us looks fantastic also, as well as World of Tanks, which seems to have had a nice upgrade too including HDR.

Definitely pleased with the performance gains in BF1 too.

Happy camper here.

Hey guys. I have a 28inch Samsung Monitor 4k.

Yet for some reason, when I go to the sound and screen option settings on the PS4, the 2160p options are labeled as unsupported. The fuck?

This is my monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YD3DBOC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It even says this:

Connectivity for UHD-compatible devices
You can connect multiple Ultra HD devices, like PCs and gaming consoles, to the UE590. There are two HDMI inputs as well as one Display Port input on the back panel. Enjoy upgraded HDMI support with an upgraded HDMI (v2.0) that supports UHD resolutions at a 60Hz refresh rate, so 4K content plays smoothly without delay.

Should I try different HDMI cables?
I think my buddy has this, he had to plug it into HDMI 2 but it worked. Like the other guy said make sure to use the HDMI provided by Sony. It must work.

Only played BF1 so far but man its smooth and its always "1080p", I don't notice it going blurry at times like OG. Already worth the purchase, but I'm excited to try U4 MP in full 1080p.

Tubie

I can only dream of a Pro patch for BF4.

Would be incredible to play that game (on a console) in 1080p and locked 60, even during levolutions.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Can't stand how Infamous performs in either mode when panning the camera around. With high graphics enabled, it's a jittery mess. R&C and Titanfall 2 look great though.

daveo42

Banned
Finally got my Pro home and SSD installed. Now in the long process of restoring my backup and I should be good to go outside of a 4k display. Should hopefully pick one up come Black Friday from Best Buy.

Hjod

Banned
I played TF2 on my PRO all night yesterday and my Pro was quiet as hell, but that could change I guess.

I have to say that I like the design of the Pro more than OG PS4. Looks more chunky haha.

RuhRo

So what are the best Pro graphics showcases available right now?

And, relatedly, does anyone have a list of titles that actually use HDR?

I've tried Rez, Skyrim (running both native 4K), Deus Ex (with HDR on), and Dishnored 2 (disappointed this one doesn't support HDR, would be nice with the colors). They all look quite clean and jaggy-free, but I'm not blown away, even on an 80" screen. It's a difference I can see when prompted to look, but a lay observer almost certainly would not. Of those three, only Deus Ex supports HDR, which looks merely okay - colors are a little subtler and more muted, perhaps. Certainly not the revelation some are touting it as.

What should I be trying? Last of Us? Uncharted? Infamous?

Slaythe

And, relatedly, does anyone have a list of titles that actually use HDR?

I've tried Rez, Skyrim (running both native 4K), Deus Ex (with HDR on), and Dishnored 2 (disappointed this one doesn't support HDR, would be nice with the colors). They all look quite clean and jaggy-free, but I'm not blown away, even on an 80" screen. It's a difference I can see when prompted to look, but a lay observer almost certainly would not. Of those three, only Deus Ex supports HDR, which looks merely okay - colors are a little subtler and more muted, perhaps. Certainly not the revelation some are touting it as.

What should I be trying? Last of Us? Uncharted? Infamous?

Go with Ratchet and Clank and FFXV demo (bear in mind it's not final build and doesn't have 4K, but better AA and HDR does wonder for the game).

And the obvious UC4.

zoukka

I'd say some PSVR games. R&C has insanely clean IQ.

But TBH only major performance upgrades are what I would label as "mind blowing". The IQ improvements are nice, but in many PS4 games the IQ was already acceptable.

Too bad some of the games that would benfit the most of a patch aren't getting it, I'm looking at you BB and DS3.

So glad FFXV is getting a boost in performance at some point.

Top Bottom