• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

ckohler

A couple of thoughts on HDR and the PSVR Processor Unit:

Trying Second Son, I notice that I CAN see additional details due to HDR's expanded color range however, it seems to come at a cost to overall saturation. My Sony XBR-65X850C's "Standard" picture mode has significantly increased saturation that I like but when HDR mode is enabled, the picture looks desaturated and I can't increase the saturation to the same level. Now, I understand that *maybe* the TV's "Standard" picture mode might be a bit oversaturated compared to what the developers intended but I kinda wish I could keep it because the colors pop more.

As for the PSVR's Processor box, besides reducing the signal to HDMI 1.4 and loosing HDR, I think it also may reduce deep color because I am seeing significant banding being introduced by the box that I don't see when it it's plugged in.

manzo

So I got my Pro last thursday. Copied all saves from the old PS4 on an USB drive and deactivated my EU primary account. Swapped the SSHD from the old PS4 to the Pro, put the drive originally in Pro to the old PS4.

When I launched the Pro, and set up my EU account on the machine as primary, I realized that I forgot to deactivate my US and JP accounts on the old PS4. I go to the SIE account page and try to deactivate both. No can do: "you can only deactivate this account from the original PS4". Well shit. I then proceed to do the "deactivate all" that you can do once every 6 months. Activated then both accounts succesfully on the Pro.

Cue in today. I notice that my local store has 2tb SSHD Firacudas in stock. I bought one.

Then it hit me. If I now just swap in a new HDD, I can't do the full deactivation for my US and JP accounts, since you can only do that once per 6 months.

What are my options? Can I either

A) Deactivate all 3 accounts on the PS4 Pro, back up the saves again, install the Firacuda, reactivate all 3 accounts after initial installation

Or

B) Back up saves and just install the Firacuda, since the PS4 is the same this time?

Is a HDD installation the same as changing the system? Is the primary account activation tied to the console or HDD?

What should I do?

Unknown?

So I got my Pro last thursday. Copied all saves from the old PS4 on an USB drive and deactivated my EU primary account. Swapped the SSHD from the old PS4 to the Pro, put the drive originally in Pro to the old PS4.

When I launched the Pro, and set up my EU account on the machine as primary, I realized that I forgot to deactivate my US and JP accounts on the old PS4. I go to the SIE account page and try to deactivate both. No can do: "you can only deactivate this account from the original PS4". Well shit. I then proceed to do the "deactivate all" that you can do once every 6 months. Activated then both accounts succesfully on the Pro.

Cue in today. I notice that my local store has 2tb SSHD Firacudas in stock. I bought one.

Then it hit me. If I now just swap in a new HDD, I can't do the full deactivation for my US and JP accounts, since you can only do that once per 6 months.

A) Deactivate all 3 accounts on the PS4 Pro, back up the saves again, install the Firacuda, reactivate all 3 accounts after initial installation

Or

B) Back up saves and just install the Firacuda, since the PS4 is the same this time?

Is a HDD installation the same as changing the system? Is the primary account activation tied to the console or HDD?

What should I do?

Since they're activated on the Pro you should be able to deactivate them on the Pro itself.

Question.....I'm on my 1080p set.
In PS4 Pro settings, 2160p is grayed out. Is this normal?
I thought the system would output at higher than 1080p and my TV would downsample.

Arttemis

Here's some Trackmania comparisons.

Kind of subtle, but the aliasing/sub-pixel detail is cleaned up quite a bit across the image, so there's much less shimmering in motion (presumably it's even better on a 4K screen compared to the base game). More importantly, I haven't encountered any of the screen tearing that was in the base game.

The last comparison here really stands out. The moire effect is notably reduced!

Rocket League is in drastic need of these improvements. Plz Psyonix, patch Rocket League!

As for the PSVR's Processor box, besides reducing the signal to HDMI 1.4 and loosing HDR, I think it also may reduce deep color because I am seeing significant banding being introduced by the box that I don't see when it it's plugged in.

Ya, the Processor Unit is shitty. You not only lose HDR, but Deep Color too. Such a terrible thought out piece of hardware that really doesn't fit with everything else.

DjRalford

I thought the system would output at higher than 1080p and my TV would downsample.

it converts the internal image to a 1080p output afaik, so you should only see 1080p display otions on a 1080p set.

Vorheez

Hey guys, so I have a little problem and I was hoping someone could help me out. Apparently my local eb games is not doing the promotion where I am given 48 hours to transfer my old ps4 to the new pro. They want the ps4 brought it at the time of the trade in. So, how do I go about getting everything on my pro? Does that mean I need to deactivate my old ps4 as my primary account and then redownload everything on the pro from the store?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

SRV

Just got mine setup, Store I went to said I got the last one! Think I'm going to try Titanfall first. Can't wait till I get R&C and RotTR next week.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So screen captures save in 3840x2160p regardless the resolution of the game even none 4k games.
PS4 Pro isn't internally upscaling games is it?

DjRalford

Hey guys, so I have a little problem and I was hoping someone could help me out. Apparently my local eb games is not doing the promotion where I am given 48 hours to transfer my old ps4 to the new pro. They want the ps4 brought it at the time of the trade in. So, how do I go about getting everything on my pro? Does that mean I need to deactivate my old ps4 as my primary account and then redownload everything on the pro from the store?

You can do one of two thing

1) Backup saves to cloud, deactivate the console (very very very important), go through initilisation to wipe it clean, then redownload everything when you get the pro.

B) Backup your PS4 to a USB HDD, the deactivate the console (very very very Important), initilisation to wipe it clean, then resote from the HDD to the pro.

What ever way you choose i would still make sure you backup saves to the cloud in case it goes pete tong.

Remember to deactivate your account first though, this is very very very important.

So screen captures save in 3840x2160p regardless the resolution of the game even none 4k games.

I believe you can pick if screenies are saved as 4k or 1080p

DBT85

It's disabled because your TV can't do 4k.

But the Pro will still render Pro patched games at whatever their resolution is and downsample to 1080.

If its outputting a 4k signal for those games then yes. Its more than capable of doing the scaling and in some cases will probably do a better job than many TVs. Its still only doing the render at whatever the game wants to render at and then just doing a standard upscale.

LifeLike

What I did :

1. Deactivate as primary console on PS4
2. Factory default PS4 (took an hour an a half for me.)
3. Activate PS4PRO as primary console
4. Redownload what I needed.

I dont like transfering all the junk from the other ps4. It's not a big deal to redownload everything I need.

Of course make sure your saved data is on the cloud before wiping your hdd.

That's gotta be placebo, games may perform better (paging DF!) but they won't look better without a patch.

Blops3 didn't get a patch afaik.
Depends on when the game was shipped. It might not need a "patch".

If the game shipped after the required pro compatability mode mandate, the game can use the increased horsepower due to it not running in compatability mode but natively on Pro.

If the game uses dynamic resolution to begin with, chances are the game will run at a higher resolution with the increase in horsepower. Lots of devs will scale resolution, AA and effects for a frame or two to hit framerate targets, use adaptive VSYNC, etc. If the game isn't detecting the drop threshold then it won't, provided it's not coded to drop automatically on effects.

You are thinking of specific enhancements that are brought about in patches for a "pro" mode like supersampling, better AA, better alpha, particles, etc

Our game saw a framerate bump just running natively on Pro without making any enhancements that are pro specific. Quite possible dynamic resolution is holding 1080 more often, giving a cleaner image if dynamic resolution is capped at 1080.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
200w.gif

I can understand the patched games but why is it doing it to games that aren't even 4k
I running at 1080p btw

Vorheez

You can do one of two thing

1) Backup saves to cloud, deactivate the console (very very very important), go through initilisation to wipe it clean, then redownload everything when you get the pro.

B) Backup your PS4 to a USB HDD, the deactivate the console (very very very Important), initilisation to wipe it clean, then resote from the HDD to the pro.

What ever way you choose i would still make sure you backup saves to the cloud in case it goes pete tong.

Remember to deactivate your account first though, this is very very very important.

What I did :

1. Deactivate primary console on PS4
2. Factory default PS4 (took an jour an a hall)
3. Activate PS4PRO as primary console
4. Redownload what I needed.

I dont like transfering all the junk from the other ps4. It's not a big deal.

Of course make sure your saved data is on the cloud before wiping your hdd.

Excellent. Thank you for the speedy and informative response guys! Gonna do this right now.

GazzaGSi

Doesn't that have a relatively rock solid 30fps?

Yeah I would love to see it also. About to jump back into the game once the 1.5 patch comes out.

Frame rate is fine most of the time just afew dips when things get hectic. I mainly want for image quality, upscale and the loading of textures etc. Sometimes going in an area it's still loading while you're in the room so things are popping in etc.

BLOPS3 looks very clean now

Was on earlier and didn't notice any difference, hasn't been a patch for awhile now neither. It was supposed to be day one but all is quiet from Treyarch atm.

Noticed there was a clear sticker of some sort on the side/back of the PS4 when I was plugging it in. Looks like you can remove it but I left it on.. what is it?

To keep the HDD panel attached during transit, you peel it over to get to the removable panel.

geordiemp

OK, I am confused.

I have a Panasonic AX802B (early 4K set in UK, no HDR) which says it has a HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI connection.

I connected to my pro, and with TV in Auto, it goes to HDCP 1.4 and Pro goes to RGB 2160p

When I set my TV input to HDCP 2.2, the pro switches to YUV420 2160P and RGB option is now greyed out.

2160p at 60 Hz...

1. What is the better setting, RGB with 1.4 or YUV with 2.2 ?

2. I am using a new 3 M HDMI cable which specs 18 Gbps - could it be my cable.

Lren

Just picked mine up an hour ago. All set up and redownloading the games I've been playing recently (Titanfall 2, Xenoverse 2, Bloodborne, etc.) Already can tell a difference in how the menu feels. Excited to see Titanfall the most though!

NeonDelta

Or

What should I do?
Where is the deactivate all button? I've been trying to deactivate mine which I'm assuming was active on my original ps4s original hard drive but it keeps saying I can only deactivate on console

Edit} found it now. Brilliant

I finally figured out how to let my PS4 make use of all the bandwidth of my internet connection.
How to find the proper MTU size for my network
You basically have to ping a website with your computer by typing the following in the cmd:
Code:
ping www.google.com -f -l xxxx.
Where xxxx must be a value under 1473. You take the highest value where your package doesn't fragment, add 28 to it and use it as your MTU in your PS4's network settings.
My download speeds went from 100 kbit/s or a max of 28 mbit/s to maxing out my 100 mbit/s bandwidth consistently.

If I had only known this before. I waited a day to download The Last of Us before I found out about it.

Just done this and its given me the number 1500, which is what it was set to anyway, lol
But thanks for the info! :)

Popsickles

Has anyone else noticed some hitching in Uncharted 4 after pro patch?
I was playing through the Jail section with Sam earlier and it was hitching on every scene change, it may have still been installing though as I didn't transfere it with everything else. I have rebuilt data Base and will try it again.

That's gotta be placebo, games may perform better (paging DF!) but they won't look better without a patch.

Blops3 didn't get a patch afaik.
It was supposed to get patched. I don't know if it has yet. Looking at the Activision support site the last patch on record was October 17. Don't know how up yo date their site is though.

Is HDR carried over in screenshots? I'm not sure I'm getting any effect in Uncharted when I turn HDR are so might take a few screenshots with it off and on

I was playing through the Jail section with Sam earlier and it was hitching on every scene change, it may have still been installing though as I didn't transfere it with everything else. I have rebuilt data Base and will try it again.

I didn't notice any hitching but I was having a delay in audio matching up slightly. Had to turn off hdr and back on and then it worked.

Top Bottom