• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

LurkingFear

So, PS4 PRO is the real deal?

3N13eHa.gif

So, a few times my PS4 Pro has failed to send a signal to the TV. Unplugging/replugging the HDMI fixes it. OG PS4 never did this. Thoughts? I have a Samsung KU6300, 4k HDR. I'm using the HDMI cord that came with the Pro.....didn't notice any bent prongs. Apparently someone on twitter has the exact same issue with the Pro on his PC monitor.

Anyone?

Marvel

could never
HDR is SO good, so pretty and natural.

Playing UC4 right now and the difference is quite significant. I thought it would be an overhyped useless buzzword. It isn't.

Very happy.

Though it does take time to calibrate.

sora87

Tryna watch a dvd on this thing and it's just stopping every few minutee, took like 3 minutes to actually load it at first too o_O

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hdr is kinda underwhelming imho. Don't see much difference

Same for native and 4K upscale. Tried last of us and honestly I will go for 60fps. I can't see difference beside if I'm 20cm away from my 65". I play 2 meters away and from that distance 1600/1800p upscaled to 2160 and native 2160 looks the same. Amazingly good
(Difference is much bigger between 1080p native and 1600-1800p upscale internally to 4K then 1600-1800 to native 4K)

HDR is great. But there's a lot of potential challenges:

every TV is handling it a bit differently right, now, some do it better than others. Even TVs from the same manufacturer can have wildly different HDR results. High end Sony, Samsung, and LG OLEDs from this current model year do the best job.

Each game may be implementing it differently.

The assets and game probably aren't designed with that full range in mind, thus it's not like there's extra color detail even though you may get more color overall.

The biggest things for me are wider color in general (see Ratchet & Clank), better black/dark detail, and way better highlights. Also you end up getting an overall brighter image while still having the image accurate, which is a nice plus too.

YMMV based on your TV, HDR mode, and calibration of it thereof.

viHuGi

Banned
Infinite Warfare campaign looks absolutely insane on 1080p ssaa the image is ultra clean and the frame rate is 60fps no matter what!!

What res does the game use?

OK Ratchet and Clank has the best IQ EVER AND FEELS SO SMOOTH NOW! How?

Infinite Warfare campaign looks absolutely insane on 1080p ssaa the image is ultra clean and the frame rate is 60fps no matter what!!

Haven't tried IW yet but I heard 2160p checkerboard which should be a very nice image.

R&C is definitely demo material!

Brix

Guess I have to try rachet and clank soon. Played through first light and it was amazing. I'm so happy with pro, I'm so excited for FFXV.

Anyone tried Netflix yet? It won't let me see the quality of the stream like it used to on OG and PS3. I've got a 4k netflix plan and 50mbps connection...still am not getting 4k let alone a solid 1080.

This is just odd.

DBT85

I wonder how much this would've cost if it came out back in 2013 instead of the base PS4. $599 again?

Wouldn't be surprised. It would have been a large die at that manufacturing node and to support the larger clocks of both GPU and CPU on that node there would have been even less chips that met that speed, and cooling and power would also have been more of an issue.

The OG unit hit like 140w while gaming too, imagine that with twice as many CUs and at a higher clock rate. On that process the extra voltage to operate at those speeds would have mandated a much bigger cooler and probably nearer 200+w of power. Considering some were "concerned" about the 310w PSU in the Pro, there is just no way this could have released 3 years ago.

f@luS

More than a member.
Anyone tried Netflix yet? It won't let me see the quality of the stream like it used to on OG and PS3. I've got a 4k netflix plan and 50mbps connection...still am not getting 4k let alone a solid 1080.

This is just odd.
Works for me. You have a sticker before choosing the video. About the quality. Hd or ultra hd 4k

laxu

Im so confused. HDR has less colour for me lol.

HDR is not supposed to have "more colour". It is meant to give you more accurate representation. If you look at the HDR pics you can see more graduation in colors whereas the non-HDR looks more like single color in many places. The HDR pics show the details in the sand for example better and colors look more accurate overall.

I have the 6290 which is basically the same TV minus a few features. I'm using HDMI 1 and set it to Game Console or whatever it is called. Then go into settings > expert settings > turn on UHD mode on HDMI 1. My video output settings says I have 4k, RGB, and HDR enabled for 4k/2k.

But I did plug it in HDMI 3 at first and it worked fine. I got 4k with no HDR, I made the changes above to enable HDR.

Gazkapop

Didn't think I'd ever be tempted with the Pro but seeing all of these impressions makes me seriously interested. Being able to potentially get one for £280 helps as well right enough.

If I already had a 4K and/or HDR enabled TV I'd have already taken the plunge without question. Only having a "regular" 1080p TV makes me hesitant in case the benefits aren't all that great.

DjRalford

Didn't think I'd ever be tempted with the Pro but seeing all of these impressions makes me seriously interested. Being able to potentially get one for £280 helps as well right enough.

If I already had a 4K and/or HDR enabled TV I'd have already taken the plunge without question. Only having a "regular" 1080p TV makes me hesitant in case the benefits aren't all that great.

If anything benefits are greater at 1080p, you get all the improvements + much much greater AA through super sampling.

DBT85

There is a thread full of people talking about just that, playing Pro on a 1080 screen.

If you want to see if you can see a difference, load up some of the screens people have taken on your TV and see if you can see the difference.

If you're into BF1 for example its an easy choice, much more solid 60fps and higher settings and a cleaner image through supersampling.

Same here. Sony XBR850C has desaturated colors in HDR compared to "Standard" picture mode.

This is the TV I have and I played Rachet on this TV (I have the 55X850C) and it looks stunning with HDR on.

Since HDR is coming on, I assume you activated Enhanced for the HDMI port your Pro is connected to right?
How are you comparing? Relaunching the game once with and once without? Because HDR mode locks in automatically when it detects HDR.

NeonDelta

This is just odd.
Hope it's there when we get an u-date, the Netflix on my tv has a 4K section but this doesn't, same with amazon prime

Works for me. You have a sticker before choosing the video. About the quality. Hd or ultra hd 4k

That's not what I mean. During the playback of content, you could press options button I believe it was to see the quality of your stream.

Hope it's there when we get an u-date, the Netflix on my tv has a 4K section but this doesn't, same with amazon prime

It shows which shows are available in 4k for me, but the actual quality of the shows is definitely not 4k. It's barely 1080p.

sasliquid

3 quick questions/confirmations:

1. Did the Witness get a pro patch?

2. To confirm I can transfer over only specific applications right? Cos PT is the main thing and I ain't to fussed about installing other stuff again.

3. Can I replace the hard drive out of the box or do I have to set some stuff up first?

JackEtc

Put my OG PS4 up on Craigslist just out of curiosity...a few emails and texts later...

noc7viG.jpg

Only have a 39" 1080p TV and not planning on upgrading soon lmao. But the VR improvements and solid framerate in BF1 64 player games is worth the inclumental upgrade price after selling my og console

Shin-Ra

2160p checkerboard, which at 60fps should be perceptually very close looking to native 2160p, with the additional benefit of temporal anti-aliasing compared to something like FIFA which has no AA.

Evo X

Guys, I think the Pro IQ is messing with my mind.

Was out driving today and saw some power lines. My first through was "Hmm... those could use some anti-aliasing." Lol

Top Bottom