• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

DBT85

huh, i didn't know the Pro upscaled standard Bluray to 4k, why did Sony not mention that?

It upscales anything. That's not a magical feature, its just normal operation.

Its still only a 1080 film. If it wasn't upscaled then it would be in the middle of your TV with a load of black surrounding it.

i must have missed that, it certainly does a much better job than my TV, and i thought it was pretty good on the KS

Not entirely surprising depending on your TV.

DjRalford

It upscales anything. That's not a magical feature, its just normal operation.

Its still only a 1080 film. If it wasn't upscaled then it would be in the middle of your TV with a load of black surrounding it.

My TV upscaled it before to 4k, but it would play in a 1080p mode on the TV, now the output is 4k from the console, it seems a little bit clearer under scrutiny.

DBT85

My TV upscaled it before to 4k, but it would play in a 1080p mode on the TV, now the output is 4k from the console, it seems a little bit clearer under scrutiny.

What TV?

A higher end Sony TV for example would be much better at scaling content than say, a $400 Walmart TV.

Has any one hit share and saved video clip.... only to go in and the footage looks quite bad.

I thought it was meant to save 1080p footage? Do you have to enable this somewhere

GazzaGSi

Has any one hit share and saved video clip.... only to go in and the footage looks quite bad.

I thought it was meant to save 1080p footage? Do you have to enable this somewhere

I noticed a infamous first light video I saved was quite blocky and pixelated on playback for some reason. Don't know of its to do with the HDR or not because a IW video I saved looked perfect.

And this was after I'd selected 1080 record quality in the share settings.

Giolon

I hate that the light on the Pro is horizontal along the front, instead of going front to back across the top. It makes the yellow standby light so much more noticeable and ugly.

The power and eject buttons are shit.

Side note: Has anyone been able to figure out what Shadows of Mordor's "Favor Quality" option does? It says it locks the game at 1080p and improves quality, but I haven't been able to figure out what exactly it's doing?

renzolama

I don't like the design of the unit itself

Warning - Unnecessary (and probably irrelevant) subjective design rant below

Here's my big problem with the PS4 design from day one (which continues with the Slim/Pro): The ports/connections in the back are literally hidden from top-down view by the angular design when attempting to plug cables etc. I have my consoles organized in a relatively narrow stacked-shelf design, and making any changes to a PS4 console is maddening; the only view I have is top down due to the shelf/cabinet design, and the shelves are too short to lift/angle the PS4 high enough to be able to see the ports. The only real alternative is to pull the unit/cables all the way through the shelf to plug them in outside of the cabinet, but then I have to consider the length of cables I own for each console and make sure they're positioned vertically to accommodate any limitations.

It's obviously the firstest world problem ever, but what really bugs me about it is what Sony says about why they went with this design: Seriously?. They actually identify the problem I state above as a benefit; the other functional benefits they use to justify the design are equally nonsensical. Just admit that you designed it to look distinct and stop pretending that the resulting shape has any functional benefits. The most common interactions that any consumer ever has with the console are (1) plug/unplug cable, (2) power on/off, (3) insert/eject discs. None of those functions benefit from the design in any way, and I would argue that most of them actually suffer for it.

Edit: In the interest of being more relevant, I am ultimately happy with my PS4 Pro purchase. The main games I'm playing atm (Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, and Infinite Warfare) all have noticeable (to me) improvements at 1080p, and I'm looking forward to playing the upcoming Pro versions of FFXV and Nioh. I'll probably buy a 4KTV early next year, but I don't feel bad about paying for the upgrade early based on my experience so far.

Renkax

Man , does anyone have the LG49UH6030? It says it has HDR pro but going on the PS4 settings for video output it says it's not supported.. Any help?:( would love to play the last of us with HDR mode on

regarding cable management/set up, I like the design of the PS4 consoles in general but ugh that slanted design makes hook up a lot more annoying

I'm not sure I follow on how the rear slant makes it more annoying. Could you elaborate? The only issue I had is the location and design of the Ethernet port makes it harder to plug in cables with hoods because of how close that port is to that raised lip on the bottom of the console port area.

Ummm, do you have a 4K HDR TV?

You know the signal passing through the PSVR box can't do HDR right? and you need to connect direct to the TV to get HDR.

I'm aware of the problem and have a plan of attack involving two switches to handle that scenario but I don't have a need yet since no 4K TV stacks up to my criteria yet. When I do get one, I'll need a new receiver too which means I'll have completely tear down everything, buy new cables and rewire the whole thing from scratch anyway. Cable management is a bitch, fragile and so inflexible. Super nice when it's done but painful to maintain.

Amiibro

I hate that the light on the Pro is horizontal along the front, instead of going front to back across the top. It makes the yellow standby light so much more noticeable and ugly.

The power and eject buttons are shit.

Side note: Has anyone been able to figure out what Shadows of Mordor's "Favor Quality" option does? It says it locks the game at 1080p and improves quality, but I haven't been able to figure out what exactly it's doing?

I like the new placement of the light. I used to not be able to see it well because of the place my system sits. I enjoy the new buttons too. I didn't care for the touch style buttons on the og PS4.

I like the new placement of the light. I used to not be able to see it well because of the place my system sits. I enjoy the new buttons too. I didn't care for the touch style buttons on the og PS4.
I personally hate it since when in standby there's now this giant long orange light that is constantly in my view.

[Asmodean]

While we're on the discussion of lights. Did they really need to add another light to the controller? >.>

It already had an obnoxiously large light on it. Now it has another smaller one, except it's facing you.. lol.

Am I the only person who really doesn't like unnecessary leds/lights on stuff? I know they use the main light bar for motion. But you should be able to disable when connected via usb at least.

Saying that - I like everything else about the controller changes, The new 'feel' of the buttons, etc is nice.

Ok... so I have a Sony 65 inch xbr65x850d hooked to my PS4 pro. I put in FIFA and it says it's running max 2k? Says my tv settings may not be adjusted? I put it on game mode... is that not enough?

[Asmodean];224262645 said:
While we're on the discussion of lights. Did they really need to add another light to the controller? >.>

It already had an obnoxiously large light on it. Now it has another smaller one, except it's facing you.. lol.

Am I the only person who really doesn't like unnecessary leds/lights on stuff? I know they use the main light bar for motion. But you should be able to disable when connected via usb at least.

Saying that - I like everything else about the controller changes, The new 'feel' of the buttons, etc is nice.
It's the same light just now they cut an opening so you can see it from the touch pad. I don't care for it either.

DBT85

Ok... so I have a Sony 65 inch xbr65x850d hooked to my PS4 pro. I put in FIFA and it says it's running max 2k? Says my tv settings may not be adjusted? I put it on game mode... is that not enough?

Which HDMI lead did you use, which HDMI port did you use on the TV?

DBT85

HDMI port 2. I used a 3rd party hdmi cable but it's a good one.

As far as I can see all of the x850D ports are compatible. I'd try the supplied HDMI lead tbh. The Pro wants to send out a 4k60 signal no matter what you're doing.

I'm sorry for the noob question but how do you get 1440p on a 1080p display?

Uncharted 4 runs at 1440p on Pro and is then downsampled to 1080 or upscaled to 4k, depending on your screen

So, I've just found out that the USB ports on the front of the console are completely useless for using a USB drive with. The plastic from the middle layer of the console sticks out right over the USB port, so any USB drive beyond a certain thickness simply won't fit. What a ridiculous oversight.

So the new COD looks great on the pro? I heard Bombcast saying the campaign is great, so I may just rent it at redbox to see how it looks and beat it in 5 hours.
Totally worth the $1.60 I paid for it at Redbox. The IQ is so damn crisp and clean, and the actually gameplay/story is pretty awesome. Def one of my favorite COD campaigns

pargonta

That's not what I mean. During the playback of content, you could press options button I believe it was to see the quality of your stream.

It shows which shows are available in 4k for me, but the actual quality of the shows is definitely not 4k. It's barely 1080p.

just wanted to echo this, cause the "options" button no longer does it for me as well. it was useful to know when my internet was shit and i could see i was only getting 480p.

Yo that Netflix UI though is crisp! I can tell a clear difference in the text and thumbnails on pro from previous ps4.

Memnoch

This is the first console I have ever owned since 1985 where the graphics have provided the incredible WOW factor. Titanfall 2 is simply stunning. I have never seen graphics look this good. Thank you sony, the pro is just beautiful.

D23

Damn Blu-ray looks good on the pro. Not sure if it's a placebo or the pro doing some amazing upscaling magic.

dcx4610

For those trading their PS4 into Gamestop, don't forget the USB charging cable. When I traded in my Xbox for the One S, they didn't want it but for the PS4 they did.

I didn't bring it and they knocked off 9.99. $10 for a friggin USB cable which I probably have 10 lying around. Just a word of warning.

ckohler

Go into TV's Settings > External inputs > HDMI signal format > HDMI 2 > Enhanced format

For those trading their PS4 into Gamestop, don't forget the USB charging cable. When I traded in my Xbox for the One S, they didn't want it but for the PS4 they did.

I didn't bring it and they knocked off 9.99. $10 for a friggin USB cable which I probably have 10 lying around. Just a word of warning.

The reason why they didn't want it for the XBOX is because it doesn't come with one. The controller takes AA batteries, remember?

dcx4610

The reason why they didn't want it for the XBOX is because it doesn't come with one. The controller takes AA batteries, remember?

200.gif

I guess that would explain it then.

Animal

Banned
Its only been a couple of hours of since I got my Pro.

Transfer from year 1 PS4 took about 1.5 hours and completed without a hitch as far as I can tell.

I have been playing CoD:IW and it looks incredible. I am playing on a 1080p screen over HDMI.

I tried Rocket League quickly and it ran exactly as if it was running on a base PS4. Hopefully it is only a matter of time before it gets Pro specific graphical enhancements.

Looking forward to try Battlefield 1 later tonight.

Go into TV's Settings > External inputs > HDMI signal format > HDMI 2 > Enhanced format

That should work.

But on a related note...why the fuck do TV's social engineers design shit to be complicated as fuck.

Just auto detect shit, it's fucking 2016 for god sakes. People might as well rotate a crank to turn their TV's on and set shit up.

Anyway, I just bought the 43 inch Sony XBR800D. It's 4k w/ HDR. What are the best settings for it. 2160p YUV or 2160p RGB?

That should work.

But on a related note...why the fuck do TV's social engineers design shit to be complicated as fuck.

Just auto detect shit, it's fucking 2016 for god sakes. People might as well rotate a crank to turn their TV's on and set shit up.

Anyway, I just bought the 43 inch Sony XBR800D. It's 4k w/ HDR. What are the best settings for it. 2160p YUV or 2160p RGB?
I'd just leave it on automatic. Anyone with one of the newer Sony sets know how to tell if HDR is actually active on content? Display doesn't have a tag for it.

[Asmodean];224262645 said:

When you dim the controller light you can barely even notice the one facing you because it's so faint. I use an xb1 controller for PC and the white round light on that controller actually bothers me sometimes because it's so bright

Does the pro record gameplay at 1080/60 or is it limited to 1080/30?

Nope, 1080p 30fps
You can stream 1080p 60fps to YouTube though.

would have like a 720/60 option for recording games like titanfall 2

Wonder why it can stream 1080p60 but not record it.

Maybe file size? Hopefully they add it later on. Would be a reason to get a pro

I recently recorded Gears of War 4 on PC using the Xbox app and on the highest settings it looks insanely good but the file size is also very large

Steveo

Banned
Here's some Trackmania comparisons.

Kind of subtle, but the aliasing/sub-pixel detail is cleaned up quite a bit across the image, so there's much less shimmering in motion (presumably it's even better on a 4K screen compared to the base game). More importantly, I haven't encountered any of the screen tearing that was in the base game. There's also some general graphical improvements, like in the first comparison you can see the water reflections are a higher resolution in that pond.

Trackmania got a Pro patch?

DjRalford

So did any genius gaffers figure out the "definitive" splitter to solve the HDR and PSVR situation?

im just using a coupler now, it can stay connected until i want to play VR, and when i do i can just unconnect them and plug them into the PU.

I tried using the sewell switch on the pro but it caused me a world of problems.

I adjusted those settings and did a few more tests. What I'm noticing is that the balance of colors is simply shifting. It's not so much that everything is less saturated. It's that Delson's jacket and certain buildings become less saturated while the sky, leaves, and other highlights become more saturated.

I guess I expected EVERYTHING to be more vibrant but instead it's actually desaturating stuff that was maybe too saturated before and then adding more vibrance to stuff that didn't have it. It looks fine but no setting lets me up the saturation of everything to more match the Standard picture mode.

That's pretty accurate, plus for example it should also make those colors more distinctive and accurate rather than over-saturated combined with the wide color gamut in our TVs. It should also give you really nice highlights of bright light against dark, like if you try out the neon power with him or in First Light.

If you still want to try to find some settings that will up the saturation, there might be something in the advanced settings depending upon what you change, and maybe try a different color temp as well.

Was busy trying out the FFXV demo even though I told myself I was gonna wait! LOL
Soooo good! Will probably play more of the demo lol. Can't wait for the full game!

I'd just leave it on automatic. Anyone with one of the newer Sony sets know how to tell if HDR is actually active on content? Display doesn't have a tag for it.

Mine is last year's and a few up with the X850C, but it's probably still the same:

Press the Action Menu button -> Picture adjustments, as if you were going to change settings/calibrate, it will show you the HDR mode is on and locked in.

Hawk269

Tomb Raider looks fantastic in 4k. Anyone know why it does not have HDR? Or will they be adding HDR to the game? That is the one thing that could really make it even better. I have been spending a lot of time switching between the modes, but hands down 4k is the best way to play and it just looks great.

Top Bottom