• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Shin-Ra

Guys, I think the Pro IQ is messing with my mind.

Was out driving today and saw some power lines. My first through was "Hmm... those could use some anti-aliasing." Lol
Jagged shadows from real roof tiles are the real brainjam.

Guys, I think the Pro IQ is messing with my mind.

Was out driving today and saw some power lines. My first through was "Hmm... those could use some anti-aliasing." Lol
Boy.

I looked out if the window and the trees have no leafs left and I thought "damn, very clean IQ" for a second.

Rootbeer

Banned
Alright, got my PS4 Pro Thursday, set it up, love it. Sold my launch day PS4 for $200, feel pretty good about that price given the price competition in my area. Getting a Pro for 50% off feels good. Can't wait to dive in to some truly Pro-optimized games.

ckohler

This is the TV I have and I played Rachet on this TV (I have the 55X850C) and it looks stunning with HDR on.

Since HDR is coming on, I assume you activated Enhanced for the HDMI port your Pro is connected to right?
How are you comparing? Relaunching the game once with and once without? Because HDR mode locks in automatically when it detects HDR.

Yes, I have Enhanced HDMI on. It's clearly doing HDR because on my TV, you can't change the picture mode present once HDR is activated.

I'm comparing by using Second Son's settings. You can toggle HDR on and off directly from the game. So, I can see the exact same scene with and without it. When it's on, there IS more of a range of color available as I'm able to make out the sun and sky details. However, when HDR is off, the TV goes into "Standard" picture mode which has a much more vibrant saturation to the colors.

Now, it's possible that my TV's Standard mode is "oversaturated" and not what the developers intended but I kinda like the extra color pop I get with that mode. It's a shame I have to give up all those bright colors to use HDR. Like others have said, when HDR is on, even the PS4's home screen looks less saturated. I may try taking some photos.

DC1

Just came here to say that I'm a Pro-fessional in gaming detail orientation.

Really happy with my PRO 😁

sobaka770

Banned
Okay now - serious talk, Sony really should go and kindly ask the wonderful developers from From Software to make the BLOODY BLOODBORNE PATCH!!

How is this not a priority one for Sony? I mean it's their hit exclusive for PS4 and seeing how even minor improvements like stable framerate and resolution bump help the games (FIFA, Uncharted), this should really be a priority as it will definitely sell the console. And if we could get HDR....

This whole thing looks stupid especially since Very started that a PS4 pro patch takes very little time investment. So why not encourage devs you have a good relationship with to do that?

Pantz

I been having some nice high IQ dreams thanks to the Pro and probably the 4k bikini contest videos on youtube.

Man I wish I didn't already platinum Ratchet and clank, I have no reason to really go back and play it now but it seems like one of the standout Pro titles ATM...hopefully FF15 & TLG give it a run for its money, until GR2, Nioh, & Horizon take us to the promised land.

GazzaGSi

How do you enable 1080p 60fps streaming to vita?

There is no 1080p on the vita due to its screen limitations. There's a high frame rate option but that's been there a while.

Taken from Gamespot:
Gameplay can be streamed through Remote Play at up to 1080p on PC, Mac, and Xperia devices--a list that notably leaves out PlayStation Vita. This is an improvement over the current 720p limit.

Lady Gaia

Im so confused. HDR has less colour for me lol.

Any true UHD Premium set is supposed to support both wide color gamut and HDR. The ability to display a wider range of colors leads to questions of how to map HD colors to the expanded color range. I can't speak for other sets, but on the Samsung KS8000/9000 series televisions if you set Color Space to Native then non-HDR content (using the old Rec.709 color space introduced with HD televisions) will be artificially saturated, like the shots you're showing for non-HDR. This isn't how the content was intended to appear. To see the colors you're supposed to see you should set Color Space to Auto. This properly maps the limited color space to the correct subset of the new Rec.2020 color space.

When in HDR mode the console is producing the correct Rec.2020 colors and the content looks the way it's intended to (presuming your set is calibrated properly.)

Shin-Ra

Just ordered Infinite Warfare, my first CoD. Need to see that 2160p60 checkerboarding first-hand for a proper assessment!

Docpan

Shit makes me nauseous as fuck and I almost threw up playing Last of Us in 4K unlocked frame rate mode. Ok so right off the bat that shit is just more clear. Sharp detail that's hard to explain. I sit fairly close to my 65 inch 4K tv and almost blew chunks.

Two things I can tell you. The difference is like the jump from 720p to 1080p. In other words noticeable but not night and day. Also I thought the game looked way better in Non HDR mode than with HDR on. Maybe my tv is fucked? 65KU6300 who knows all I can say is HDR ain't all that and in fact looked more faded to me

Yes, I have Enhanced HDMI on. It's clearly doing HDR because on my TV, you can't change the picture mode present once HDR is activated.

I'm comparing by using Second Son's settings. You can toggle HDR on and off directly from the game. So, I can see the exact same scene with and without it. When it's on, there IS more of a range of color available as I'm able to make out the sun and sky details. However, when HDR is off, the TV goes into "Standard" picture mode which has a much more vibrant saturation to the colors.

Now, it's possible that my TV's Standard mode is "oversaturated" and not what the developers intended but I kinda like the extra color pop I get with that mode. It's a shame I have to give up all those bright colors to use HDR. Like others have said, when HDR is on, even the PS4's home screen looks less saturated. I may try taking some photos.

Your picture settings in HDR mode may be off, or your color range/hdmi black level may be incorrect. Be sure to check those!

Darknight

Yo guys guess what? I sold my OG PS4 with some games for $300! Not bad I say!!

Sold it with some old ass games. Also threw in some stank bluray movies. Total 10 games/movies.

Shit feels good because the trade in for everything wouldnt of got me more $200 at gamestop.

Happy camper!!

Your picture settings in HDR mode may be off, or your color range/hdmi black level may be incorrect. Be sure to check those!

Like he said ckohler, worth checking your settings for color range and black level.

Yeah, that's right, the HDR mode locks in when it detects it, so that part's good.

Also, it's true that Standard is more saturated than Cinema Pro and Cinema Home, which are generally the two closest out of the box movie settings.

You can actually change Color and go into the Advanced Settings while the HDR mode is locked in if you want to see if raising the color brings back more of the over saturation you want while keeping HDR on.

Moreche

Mine is going back for a refund tomorrow.
I'm just off a playing session of Skyrim and the constant hum of the fan was enough to convince me this isn't for me. It was to loud for me to enjoy it and I've no interest in using headphones to drown it out.
I guess mine isn't a silent Pro but I went through four launch PS4s to get a quiet one and I can be annoyed to go through it again.
Weird that the Pro had me so excited to try and yet it's now ended my time on consoles.

specdot

Okay now - serious talk, Sony really should go and kindly ask the wonderful developers from From Software to make the BLOODY BLOODBORNE PATCH!!

How is this not a priority one for Sony? I mean it's their hit exclusive for PS4 and seeing how even minor improvements like stable framerate and resolution bump help the games (FIFA, Uncharted), this should really be a priority as it will definitely sell the console. And if we could get HDR....

This whole thing looks stupid especially since Very started that a PS4 pro patch takes very little time investment. So why not encourage devs you have a good relationship with to do that?
A lot of y'all are clamoring for a Pro patch for Bloodborne, but let's not forget Sony's stance on framerate for multiplayer games. BB is an always on (if you're online) multiplayer game. They don't want Pro owners to have a decided advantage over regular PS4 owners.
As for the resolution bump and all that, maybe they'll announce something at PSX. Or maybe From is too busy working on a new title!
Look man, I feel you. I would LOVE it if Bungo had a Pro patch in the works for Destiny, but sadly no news on that front. We can keep hoping together friend!

renzolama

Finally got to test out remote play for my PC. My PS4 Pro is wired via gigabit router which connects via ethernet to my desktop and 5ghz wifi to my laptop. In both cases the remote play experience at 1080p was significantly better than the original PS4 experience at 720p.

The image quality was much better; on my 24" desktop monitor I was able to notice some pixelation/muddiness during camera movement, but on my 15" laptop it was much harder to notice and the image quality looked as sharp as anything I've seen from steam streaming at 1080p.

On the OG PS4 I was unable to use 5ghz wifi because it caused stutters every 5-10 seconds as though the video was having to resync with the stream, but with PS4 Pro that issue never occurred. I never saw a single network hiccup over 20 minutes of play on 5ghz wifi, and my laptop was ~20 ft away from my router through several walls.

Input latency is harder to measure without a hardware setup. In general I would say that the latency felt somewhere in between the OG PS4 via local network and via direct connect. It wasn't quite as snappy as direct connect, but it did seem improved enough from the >100ms of local network on the original PS4 that I felt like I could play Titanfall 2 comfortably (in campaign, I'm not sure whether you would notice it more in multiplayer). I'm someone who is very sensitive to input latency, so by "comfortably" I mean that the latency felt low enough that I could play the game without feeling like I had to adapt my muscle memory to a small delay.

Overall, I'm very happy with the improvements.

Update: Unfortunately my second extended test session with my 5ghz wifi laptop did not go as well as the first. In this session, I was actually closer to my Netgear R7000 router (about 8-10ft) with one floor in between, but the input latency and image quality were both noticeably worse than in my first tests. At 1080p streaming, the input latency felt at least equal to the > 100ms on my original PS4, the image was blocky more consistently, and I saw network hiccups/messages every 60 seconds or so.

My network environment was exactly the same as before; both my 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz channels were clean of interference, and nothing else was running on my 5 ghz channel at the time. Steam streaming on the same laptop performed optimally with no noticeable quality/latency issues. I haven't come up with any technical reason why the streaming performance degraded significantly from the first session. I have a secondary PS4 in test room that is exposing a signal for direct connect remote play, but that signal is at 2.4 ghz and should not cause any interference with the 5ghz connection from my laptop.

I'll continue playing with it and await a more technically rigorous test from (I hope!) digital foundry at some point.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Mine is going back for a refund tomorrow.
I'm just off a playing session of Skyrim and the constant hum of the fan was enough to convince me this isn't for me. It was to loud for me to enjoy it and I've no interest in using headphones to drown it out.
I guess mine isn't a silent Pro but I went through four launch PS4s to get a quiet one and I can be annoyed to go through it again.
Weird that the Pro had me so excited to try and yet it's now ended my time on consoles.

Lol, never buy a gaming PC.

Lol, never buy a gaming PC.

Yeah. LOL

I dunno what to say too though, I mean I just can't imagine it being that loud, I play with a surround sound system all the time so the only sound I'll notice when listening for it is the initial spin up when first launching a game since there's dead silence since I have the OS music off.

newsguy

So the new COD looks great on the pro? I heard Bombcast saying the campaign is great, so I may just rent it at redbox to see how it looks and beat it in 5 hours.

Yeah. LOL

I dunno what to say too though, I mean I just can't imagine it being that loud, I play with a surround sound system all the time so the only sound I'll notice when listening for it is the initial spin up when first launching a game since there's dead silence since I have the OS music off.

I always stay out of the noise discussions precisely because of this. I play with Sennheiser 598s using the Astro Mixamp. I can barely hear anything around me let alone any sort of console lol.

Moreche

I take it games that have not been patched don't use super-sampling because Fallout made the Pro run whisper quiet but Skyrim really pushed the fan?

ckohler

Yeah, that's right, the HDR mode locks in when it detects it, so that part's good.

Also, it's true that Standard is more saturated than Cinema Pro and Cinema Home, which are generally the two closest out of the box movie settings.

You can actually change Color and go into the Advanced Settings while the HDR mode is locked in if you want to see if raising the color brings back more of the over saturation you want while keeping HDR on.

I adjusted those settings and did a few more tests. What I'm noticing is that the balance of colors is simply shifting. It's not so much that everything is less saturated. It's that Delson's jacket and certain buildings become less saturated while the sky, leaves, and other highlights become more saturated.

I guess I expected EVERYTHING to be more vibrant but instead it's actually desaturating stuff that was maybe too saturated before and then adding more vibrance to stuff that didn't have it. It looks fine but no setting lets me up the saturation of everything to more match the Standard picture mode.

eel7566

Neo Member
1080p user here, I've been very happy with how the games look and perform, namely titanfall 2 and battlefield 1.

Of course, now I'm tempted to get a 4K television, but my question is...will I lose the anti-aliasing supersampling effect if I upgrade to a 4K television, or should I not be concerned with that?

Kevin

So I purchased a PS4 Pro and a nice 50' 4K HDR enabled tv and figured I would share my experience and thoughts for those interested.

Personally I am quite satisfied with my purchase. This is my first time experiencing PS4 (I have a gaming PC) and Sony always had that magic with those rare games you can't find anywhere else.

I spent most of the night playing Ratchet and Clank as I felt that would be a good first eperience to try on the PS4 Pro and wow that game is certainly pretty. At times it looks like a Pixar film. Fantastic stuff, great story and fun gameplay as well. Really enjoy this franchise and I hope it continues.

I think peoples enjoyment of the PS4 Pro will differ a lot based on how nice their tv is. For me the extra resolution and visuals really do help polish the experience but if you're playing on a smaller tv or a non 4K/HDR tv then I'm not sure you will really get much of a different experience.

I would tell me to research what the PS4 Pro has to offer before making the purchase. Personally I am very happy with it. Seems like a fairly quiet running system as well. I can't think of much to complain about in regards to the PS4 Pro and I look forward to playing more games and eventually picking up and completing Uncharted 4.

Trackmania Turbo adds a ton of effects, and looks pretty nice.

Unfortunately one of the tracks (an all-indoor Canyon level) I played online had two bloom-heavy billboards facing one another, and went full-on Porygon episode when passing between them, flashing like crazy. Only happened in that one particular circumstance (and happened consistently, too), but it's not something I've ever seen while playing on a standard PS4.

Finally with the Pro in hand, I took the time to properly integrate PSVR into my complicated setup and give it proper cable management. Now the Processor Unit is completely hidden and all the cables are now hidden. It even now works with all my game systems and not just the PS4 Pro as an added bonus which I'll likely never use. The Pro's rear USB is a godsend for cable management. Absolutely the number one reason I bought a Pro and it was worth it. Too bad they made me take an hour to replace the power cable since it didn't use the old PS4 cable. That part sucked. In fact the worst thing about cable management is how fragile it is since it takes forever to remove or add anything.

D23

What is wrong with Infamous black level? My black is absolutely crushed despite trying everything. And this is the only post pro patched game that's giving me a black crushed...

icespide

Banned
Finally with the Pro in hand, I took the time to properly integrate PSVR into my complicated setup and give it proper cable management. Now the Processor Unit is completely hidden and all the cables are now hidden. It even now works with all my game systems and not just the PS4 Pro as an added bonus which I'll likely never use. The Pro's rear USB is a godsend for cable management. Absolutely the number one reason I bought a Pro and it was worth it. Too bad they made me take an hour to replace the power cable since it didn't use the old PS4 cable. That part sucked. In fact the worst thing about cable management is how fragile it is since it takes forever to remove or add anything.

regarding cable management/set up, I like the design of the PS4 consoles in general but ugh that slanted design makes hook up a lot more annoying

DjRalford

Ummm, do you have a 4K HDR TV?

You know the signal passing through the PSVR box can't do HDR right? and you need to connect direct to the TV to get HDR.

I just picked mine up. I am keeping my old PS4 so I can game in a different room if the main TV is in use, but really the main reason I got it was for improved performance with PSVR. I'm in the middle of transferring my data via LAN, it estimated 30 minutes to transfer about 200 gigs but its been 30 minutes and its only about 60% done.

First impressions: I don't like the design of the unit itself, the rounded triple stack is kind of ugly. It's a good thing it'll be hidden in a media center. The buttons are weird too but it should eliminate accidental button presses that happen all the time with me on the PS4. I'm hyped about the rear USB slot as it'll mean I can leave the PSVR USB plugged in all the time.

Here's hoping the improved visuals are actually noticeable on my 1080p TV.

Top Bottom