• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

SHarris78

Had anyone had problems access certain online features with the Pro? It's fine initially but after half hour or so only Netflix and other streaming apps work - syncing, PS Store, the What's New section on the main screen either don't work or take an age.

Bl@de

I can tell you guys this about the noise levels. My OG PS4's fan would get so fucking loud I had to always turn the volume up and I could still hear it. Every single game that thing would ramp up to max fan speed. The Pro is so much quieter then that it is seriously unreal to me.

Same here. Hours of RotTR in 4K mode and the console is still quiet. Old PS4 titles with no Pro patch = Console is silent like in the dashboard. Love the Pro so far. Big upgrade over the standard PS4. And this is just the beginning.

PixelatedBookake

So I don't have a PS4 and I've been gaming on a sub-par laptop for the past three years. I'm also in college and might have $900 for spending this Black Friday. Getting a PS4pro makes the most sense right?

Drewfonse

I'm getting weird and intermittent thin, vertical blue flashes while playing Tomb Raider in 4k. Mainly happens during cutscenes, but sometimes also during gameplay. Only started around 3 or 4 hrs in.

Bizarre. Anyone else see this? I'm playing on a Samsung js8500. Other than that, this looks amazing.

Yopis

I'm getting weird and intermittent thin, vertical blue flashes while playing Tomb Raider in 4k. Mainly happens during cutscenes, but sometimes also during gameplay. Bizarre. Anyone else see this? I'm playing on a Samsung js8500. Other than that, this looks amazing.

Been playing this last two day's. Also have Samsung ks8000. Never seen what your describing in any way.

I know rainbow 6 hasn't had a pro patch... but it looks bloody great on pro with the new tv I got which has better colours than my old tv haha

I'm getting weird and intermittent thin, vertical blue flashes while playing Tomb Raider in 4k. Mainly happens during cutscenes, but sometimes also during gameplay. Only started around 3 or 4 hrs in.

Bizarre. Anyone else see this? I'm playing on a Samsung js8500. Other than that, this looks amazing.

Maybe check different HDMI cable ?

Picked up my Pro on Thursday night and promptly installed a 2TB Barracuda (I was too impatient to wait for Firecudas to restock on Amazon) and it's been a treat so far. Gone is the jet engine roar of my launch unit PS4 from 2013. I also don't have to worry about discs being ejected without warning or the annoying signal beep.

I'm still playing with the Panasonic S60 plasma I bought in 2013. Titanfall 2 and CoD: Infinite Warfare blow me away with the super sampling they provide. Looking forward to testing out Ratchet & Clank and Skyrim when I'm through the other single player campaigns.

But I'm really hyped about testing Playstation VR when I have real free time during my week long Thanksgiving vacation!

Been lurking a lot in ps4 pro threads a lot these days. I'm confused. I was 100% going to get a ps4 pro, but some doubts came in since thursday : heat, noise, necessity to get a 4k hdr to get the most out of it... Coming from ps3 here. I have to decide only for christmas since i planned to have it as a self gift :). Ps4 pro owners, i do need even more feedback. I read every single article published about it. Just don't know if if i should not get a second hand ps4, and drive with it for the next 3 years. But this may be the worst 200€ saved. Across 3 years, not a lot...

supergiz

Going to be picking up my PS4 Pro on Black Friday. What are the chances that this is on sale or bundled with an SSD HD on Black Friday?

farisr

Been lurking a lot in ps4 pro threads a lot these days. I'm confused. I was 100% going to get a ps4 pro, but some doubts came in since thursday : heat, noise, necessity to get a 4k hdr to get the most out of it... Coming from ps3 here. I have to decide only for christmas since i planned to have it as a self gift :). Ps4 pro owners, i do need even more feedback. I read every single article published about it. Just don't know if if i should not get a second hand ps4, and drive with it for the next 3 years. But this may be the worst 200€ saved. Across 3 years, not a lot...
First thing I'm going to say is, if you don't have a ps4 at all, I honestly think it's a not even a decision, ps4 pro is the way to go.

Next, I had a regular ps4 before this. I didn't consider it that loud for most operation, only when initially starting, and sometimes during a game like uncharted 4 did its fans come on full speed. This system is even quieter than that and I haven't heard it blare up yet.

This system is also better at handling heat the than the regular ps4.

You do not need a 4ktv to enjoy the benefits of this system. You are going to be getting better picture quality/anti-aliasing, or a higher framerate either way in pro supported games. And as you said, across 3 years, whatever savings you may have made with the initial purchase if you don't go for the pro, it's not a lot.

So I don't have a PS4 and I've been gaming on a sub-par laptop for the past three years. I'm also in college and might have $900 for spending this Black Friday. Getting a PS4pro makes the most sense right?

Do you already have a 1080p TV (or 4K)?

But yea, if you have $900, Pro is the way to go. You should be able to get a decent amount of games as well.

Picked up my Pro on Thursday night and promptly installed a 2TB Barracuda (I was too impatient to wait for Firecudas to restock on Amazon) and it's been a treat so far. Gone is the jet engine roar of my launch unit PS4 from 2013. I also don't have to worry about discs being ejected without warning or the annoying signal beep.

I'm still playing with the Panasonic S60 plasma I bought in 2013. Titanfall 2 and CoD: Infinite Warfare blow me away with the super sampling they provide. Looking forward to testing out Ratchet & Clank and Skyrim when I'm through the other single player campaigns.

But I'm really hyped about testing Playstation VR when I have real free time during my week long Thanksgiving vacation!

St60 plasmas are freaking awesome man. The colors are beautiful on that tv.

Anyone got any issues with PSN? For some reason, if I try to go to the PSN Store all I see is a "Please Wait" screen that goes nowhere...

May be worth mentioning that I can play games online just fine. It's just opening the store and my account details that is giving me this problem.

Edit: good old restart did it.

iFirez

I'm guessing there's no new hard drives or sshds that are above 2TB yet that fit in the PS4 Pro? I'm getting on in a few weeks so might just throw a FireCuda 2TB in there once they're in stock on Amazon (UK) again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
halp guys

I just bought an 65" HDR1000 4k TV but I have no plans on getting a PS4 Pro in the next few months. Will I even notice any form of difference in terms of graphical quality in games (like FFXV) compared to the 40" Sony 1080p Bravia I had before?

halp guys

I just bought an 65" HDR1000 4k TV but I have no plans on getting a PS4 Pro in the next few months. Will I even notice any form of difference in terms of graphical quality in games (like FFXV) compared to the 40" Sony 1080p Bravia I had before?
Depending on where you sat and now sit, its going to look worse. Don't forget, it is basically upscaling 900p to 2160p.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Depending on where you sat and now sit, its going to look worse. Don't forget, it is basically upscaling 900p to 2160p.
But I'm not planning on playing the game in upscaled 2160p though, can I not just play it in regular 900p (or scale 1080p) like I am doing on my current 40" Sony? I'm sitting 3 meters away.

But I'm not planning on playing the game in upscaled 2160p though, can I not just play it in regular 900p (or scale 1080p) like I am doing on my current 40" Sony? I'm sitting 3 meters away.
I don't know if you can do that on the TV. TV is supposed to send 4k and is upscaling everything to that resolution.

But I am not an expert.

leehom

Thanks to cag, picked up a PS4P for $349, no tax. Only applies to service members. The PX/Exchange is having a sale for $50 off on all consoles. I almost jumped on the Target deal for $390 after tax, but this deal is $40 less!!

DBT85

If you play a non scaled 900 or 1080 game on your 2160 screen, it;ll be a little box of colour in the centre of the screen with a huge black border all around it.

If its filling the screen, it is either a) native 4k or b) upscaled.

For example, this photo shows 1080 video on a 4k screen and not scaled.
1080p-on-a-4k-tv.jpg

EDIT: BIG NOTICE!!!! Unless you specifically ask your TV not to upscale something, it WILL upscale any non 4k signal automatically.

Yoshichan

So all PS4 games that aren't 4k (in other words, every single fucking game in the library of all generations) will be run with 50% black corners? Is this a joke? How is this even real? I refuse to believe this.

What would buying a PS4 PRO change here? No black bars?

farisr

So all PS4 games that aren't 4k (in other words, every single fucking game in the library of all generations) will be run with 50% black corners? Is this a joke? How is this even real? I refuse to believe this.

No, what was being said is upscaling is being done no matter what if you want to fill the screen. If the ps4 is outputting a 1080p signal, then your tv is going to upscale it to 2160p (unless you specifically tell the tv not to, in which case that image is the result you'll get). The upscaling is not degrading the quality in most cases, the person saying it'll look worse is basically only saying it because the closer you are to something (the bigger it is) while remaining at the same resolution, the more faults you'll see and generally, if you were at an optimum viewing distance for 1080p to begin with, the picture may not look as crisp due to the increased size.

But, depending on how far you were sitting from your tv, and the actual quality of your last tv, it's really up in the air whether it'll be better or worse for you.

I'll give you my example though. I sit about 7 feet away from my tv usually. I had a 32 inch samsung 1080p tv before. I bought a 50 inch vizio 4k hdr tv. Even the regular (non 4k) stuff I'm watching on the vizio is noticeably better looking than it was on my last tv.

leehom

I think the games get upscaled......

c00l3ru

Err no. It will upscale to 4k and depending on you TVs upscaling abilities it could be anything from pretty bad to pretty good.

Synless

Interesting shadow of mordor observation. Seems they changed the model. If you look at the load screen that shows the MC you can see he has different shoulder structure and certain details are missing from the character model i.e. eyelashes.

[Asmodean]

No lol. That image above is an example of scaling disabled on a device. So it outputs all resolutions lower than native in a 1:1 scale, with no upscaling.

Not only does the Pro scale up existing, unpatched ps4 games. It does an amazing job at it, imo. (they better not bloody ruin it with an update or such)

My unpatched ps4 games look great being scaled by the pro up to 2160p. In fact they look better now on a 50" 2160p then they did on the og ps4, on a native 32" 1080p display (which was no slouch either, was a good sony bravia). They're much cleaner looking.

At least the ones I've tested so far (Bloodborne looks especially good on the Pro at 2160p) I was very surprised. Wasn't expecting it to look so good, even without a pro patch.

DBT85

I genuinely don't know how yo got that from my post.

If you send a 1080 signal to your TV, your TV WILLLLLLL upscale it to 4k, unless you specifically tell it not to. So it will fill the screen.

You asked why you couldn't just play at 1080 ona 4k screen. I explained why.

If you have a PS4 Pro however, the Pro will upscale internally and then output a 4k image, rather than outputting a 1080 image and leaving your TV to do the scaling. Some TVs have great scalers built in, some are utter trash.

Lady Gaia

I'm having some annoying issues with video output from my pro on my ks8000. I'm often getting a hazy, white cloud look over everything. Also, the brightness seems to fade in and out, usually on the lower end of the scale. Reminds me a bit of when I turn the back light on my laptop down.

Check your Eco settings to make sure they aren't responding to changes in ambient light.

Top Bottom