• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

winstano

Highly sceptical of that photo.

1) This isn't where the PS4 Pro gets hot.

2) https://youtu.be/euBlNq5kda0?t=431 That's the official teardown video at a point where you can see the bit that's "melted" and there isn't a component or a fan anywhere near it.

Edit: OK, the heatsink seems to be kinda near it, but I'm still massively sceptical

most likely fake.

4tegeUJ.png

Here's the article on running temp:

http://technoaisle.com/ps4-pro-manages-keep-temperature-35-degrees/

"The console maxes out at an impressive temperature of 35 Degree Celsius, which is amazing considering that the standard PS4 used to precede that, effortlessly."

[I think he means "exceed," not "precede."]

I wonder what the melting point of steel beam is in that guy's world with his gnarled Pro.

Fake Edit: Clearly that jet engine fan is putting work in, going by where it's melted.

psychotron

My pro seems about as loud as my base PS4. The only thing is, it vibrates a lot and it's sounding really loud across the room. I'm trying to find a solution now.

...So did Sony just release a console marketed around HDR, strip out its ability to play HDR physical media in favor of streaming, then quietly just... not bother to have HDR content available to stream?

Aren't Netflix and Youtube apps still not upgraded ?

My pro runs much quieter then my launch ps4 which is nice.

Currently have it vertical due to space issues, but I don't have a stand. What's people's thoughts on leaving vertical without stand? Liable to cause issues with blocked vents?

Dunlop

Had anyone purchased the accidental protection plan from PSN?

Want to get it, worried I'll pay for it to find it it does not apply to the Pro

bosseye

I caved and bought a Pro. Had a passing interest then a friend bought one, raved about it, another sceptical friend went to see it and was so impressed he rushed out and bought one.....So those two endorsements pushed me over edge, plus I was able to sell my old launch PS4 (peeling pad and all) to a friend of the wifes for £140.

I'll set it up in a bit, only got a 1080p display at the moment though.

J4g3r

As far as that pictures goes...

From my own experience with the Pro, the back of the console runs very hot but the front is virtually cold. That "melted" area appears to be the side of the console at the front, which as i said, has zero heat from what I can tell.

Yeah I don't understand that part either. What's at the front right of the console that is supposed to be generating that much heat?

Not paying any attention until there are multiple reports of it.

Yeah I don't understand that part either. What's at the front right of the console that is supposed to be generating that much heat?

Not paying any attention until there are multiple reports of it.

It's not where the heat collects, it's not where the sink is and the plastic is melting inward, not bubbling down and out.

What we have here is a guy who paid 400 bucks and then intentionally damaged it to stir up shit on twitter.

Videogames!

J4g3r

It's not where the heat collects, it's not where the sink is and the plastic is melting inward, not bubbling down and out.

What we have here is a guy who paid 400 bucks and then intentionally damaged it to stir up shit on twitter.

Videogames!

Got to get noticed somehow, it's tough out there for a "YouTuber/Twitcher" these days!

knerl

As far as that pictures goes...

From my own experience with the Pro, the back of the console runs very hot but the front is virtually cold. That "melted" area appears to be the side of the console at the front, which as i said, has zero heat from what I can tell.

Then this Temp report cant be accurate. 35 degrees Celsius isn't hot.

bombshell

Videogames!

Watch it be reported all across the interwebs tomorrow by clickbait hunting games journalists...

Iorv3th

So is there any Titanfall 2 comparison videos? Specifically multiplayer? I already beat the campaign and probably wouldn't go back through it so want to know if there are improvements on multiplayer before I get one.

Impulsor

So, I'm getting a black screen for like 2 seconds randomly out of no where, from time to time.

Can anybody help me out?

sasliquid

Right tv ordered, PS4 pro here, gonna be picking up a soundbar tomorrow and hoping the SSHD I ordered comes into stock soon. Should be all set for Thursday outside of mounting the tv and working out where to put the PS4.

Gonna play BF1 for the first time with it, hopefully the HDR patch will be out by then

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I want to sell my old ps4 now and I picked the quick initialization. Currently thinking maybe I should've picked full... or am I fine?

Touching your ps4 on video and saying it's hot is about the most worthless test one can do.

Well, clearly it's not a scientific test, lol, but the guy is clearly concerned about the heat. I mean, my hands aren't thermometers either, but when I touch something that's hot, I can get a pretty good idea of how hot it is.

Anyway, my real question was, where is the spot where the dude says his console is super hot in relation to the photo of the melted PS4pro?

Going back and looking at the photo, it looks like it's on the same side.

Dunlop

It definably runs hotter than the OG PS4. I actually changed locations for it because I could feel the heat from the shelf I had it on.

Not saying it will melt it anything though

I mean, my hands aren't thermometers either, but when I touch something that's hot, I can get a pretty good idea of how hot it is.
Cool.

Now where is your control test? What point of reference do you use to say that the heat produced is abnormal?

If I look at the temps of my CPU on my PC while gaming I'd be like HOLY FUCK WE'VE GONE TO PLAID! But the truth is its well within spec and well below maximum safe operating temp.

Without a point of reference - what can anyone base proper heat levels on?

MAN THIS FEELS HOT! THIS ISNT NORMAL!
What's normal?
I DUNNO. I KNOW THIS FEELS HOT THOUGH

Isn't exactly a metric.

Cairnsay

Banned
I caved on Saturday. Popped out to the Sainsburys along the road and picked one up (missus was won over by the Nectar points). Only have a 1080p TV currently, but had a blast on Uncharted 4 (which I understand renders higher then down samples?) and was pretty impressed.

My first big play through of a game on the Pro will be Watch Dogs 2. Does anyone know the score with the Pro benefits on 1080p with that game? Doesn't seem to be much out there other than what it does of you have 4K/HDR.

Ammogeddon

So, I'm getting a black screen for like 2 seconds randomly out of no where, from time to time.

Can anybody help me out?

I'm getting the same thing and so are many others. I've tried everything except for swapping the HDMI cable which I'll try later. We can't all have bad cables can we?? Hopefully we'll get a firmware update soon.

Are you running it on a 4K tv? I'm not aware of it happening to people on 1080p TVs, would be interested to know.

Impulsor

I'm getting the same thing and so are many others. I've tried everything except for swapping the HDMI cable which I'll try later. We can't all have bad cables can we?? Hopefully we'll get a firmware update soon.

Are you running it on a 4K tv? I'm not aware of it happening to people on 1080p TVs, would be interested to know.
I'm indeed on a 4K tv.

I'm gonna try sing The Xbox one s cable

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Can anybody help me out?

Happens to me on occasion as well. Not so often that it feels super problematic, but I do wonder if there is a handshake issue or something. It also occurs usually several minutes into playing a game, long after the HDMI connection settings are established, so that is odd too.

I have turned off both deep color mode and HDR(tv doesn't support) and my 4K mode is YUV420. Seems to also only happen in Pro mode games, but not everytime. Very random.

Impulsor

Happens to me on occasion as well. Not so often that it feels super problematic, but I do wonder if there is a handshake issue or something. It also occurs usually several minutes into playing a game, long after the HDMI connection settings are established, so that is odd too.

I have turned off both deep color mode and HDR(tv doesn't support) and my 4K mode is YUV420. Seems to also only happen in Pro mode games, but not everytime. Very random.

Has happened to me on xenoverse 2.

All my settings aré on automatic

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'm having some annoying issues with video output from my pro on my ks8000. I'm often getting a hazy, white cloud look over everything. Also, the brightness seems to fade in and out, usually on the lower end of the scale. Reminds me a bit of when I turn the back light on my laptop down. Other sources aren't showing the same issues. I turned the TV off and back on once and the hazy cloud went away but I'm not having much luck with it now.

Shit's weird.

Also, that HDMI port has to be the most difficult HDMI port ever to unplug/plug into from the front. Makes the PSVR to HDR switch even more annoying.

black070

So is there any Titanfall 2 comparison videos? Specifically multiplayer? I already beat the campaign and probably wouldn't go back through it so want to know if there are improvements on multiplayer before I get one.

MP on a 4K display is glorious - just so damn sharp.

Synless

I can tell you guys this about the noise levels. My OG PS4's fan would get so fucking loud I had to always turn the volume up and I could still hear it. Every single game that thing would ramp up to max fan speed. The Pro is so much quieter then that it is seriously unreal to me.

Just got paid $15 and got a PS4 Pro. The EB Games teller was impressed lol. I apparently was the first person to not only not pay anything, but still receive credit for everything that was traded in. I took my PS4, old PS3 and good old bunch of games, and that was that. Can't wait to try it out!

Top Bottom