• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

BigEmil

Did the new controller get a charge boost? Seems to be lasting longer than my older ones.

Disable vibration, controller speaker, light set to dim, enjoy new battery.
They should remove the accelorometers and unused stuff inside it will make it cheaper and longer battery

[Asmodean]

I genuinely don't know how yo got that from my post.

If you send a 1080 signal to your TV, your TV WILLLLLLL upscale it to 4k, unless you specifically tell it not to. So it will fill the screen.

You asked why you couldn't just play at 1080 ona 4k screen. I explained why.

If you have a PS4 Pro however, the Pro will upscale internally and then output a 4k image, rather than outputting a 1080 image and leaving your TV to do the scaling. Some TVs have great scalers built in, some are utter trash.

Note here: I don't recommend anyone using TV scaling with the Pro, if they don't have to. It's not like on PC where you have the option of setting which device will exclusively do the scaling. So it simply comes down to whether your GPU, or display scales better.

On the PS4, for gaming at least. If you've got the PS4 set to a resolution that is not your TV's native. The PS4 will scale games up to that resolution (where applicable), and then after the PS4 has scaled to the set output (eg 1080) your TV will take over and then scale that image up to eg 2160p.

This is a huge loss of IQ. Not only is each frame going through two layers of scaling, but in all odds it will be two different scaling techniques, which will be horrible for color integrity, & interpolation ,etc.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So essentially, getting a PS4 Pro would "solve" the upscaling problem right?

PS4 + 4k 65" = Shit/mediocre quality
PS4 Pro + 4k 65" = Good shit?

[Asmodean]

So essentially, getting a PS4 Pro would "solve" the upscaling problem right?

PS4 + 4k 65" = Shit/mediocre quality
PS4 Pro + 4k 65" = Good shit?

Obviously it's subjective. But if you have a 4k TV. I would get the Pro for the native scaling alone. It's so much nicer then the mess I described in my above post.

DBT85

[Asmodean];224348661 said:
Note here: I don't recommend anyone using TV scaling with the PS4, or the Pro. It's not like on PC where you have the option of setting which device will exclusively do the scaling. So it simply comes down to whether your GPU, or display scales better.

On the PS4, for gaming at least. If you've got the PS4 set to a resolution that is not your TV's native. The PS4 will scale games up to that resolution (where applicable), and then after the PS4 has scaled to the set output (eg 1080) your TV will take over and then scale that image up to eg 2160p.

This is a huge loss of IQ. Not only is each frame going through two layers of scaling, but in all odds it will e two different scaling techniques, which will be horrible for interpolation ,etc.

Of course, but the only people it applies to are those playing on something between 1080 and 2160 screens.

If you're on 1080 then both the PS4 and the Pro will scale games to output to 1080. Easy.

If you're on 2160 then the PS4 will output 1080, and then the TV will have to do the upscaling. No choice there. If you're on Pro then set the output to 2160 and the Pro does everything for you.

Why anyone would set their Pro to output 1080 if they are on a 2160 screen is beyond me. Select the 1080 Pro "mode" in a game sure, but not the output signal.

For 1440 owners they have no choice sadly. Neither the Ps4 or the Pro can output at 1440. So they will render at whatever resolution and then scale as requited to 1080, which the monitor will then scale internally to 1440. The only way around this is if the monitor can handle a 2160 signal, which I don't think many, or even any, can.

Argh, okay. I'm on my way to pick up a Pro, selling my OG PS4 to a friend for $180 to help subsidize the cost. I didn't even want a Pro, but the allure of having the definitive FFXV experience, along with all the reports of the Pro making a noticeable difference even on 1080p screens, have swayed me. My parents also just got a swanky new 4K set at their vacation home, so I'm also getting the Pro with an eye toward sampling some 4K gaming over the holidays/whenever I head up there.

...But it's mostly FFXV.

My question to you, GAF, is this: When during the transfer process (the one that utilizes an Ethernet cable connected between the source and target PS4s) are you supposed to deactivate your source PS4? After the transfer is complete, or before? Does it even matter? None of the guides I've read on the transfer process touch on this.

[Asmodean]

Of course, but the only people it applies to are those playing on something between 1080 and 2160 screens.

If you're on 1080 then both the PS4 and the Pro will scale games to output to 1080. Easy.

If you're on 2160 then the PS4 will output 1080, and then the TV will have to do the upscaling. No choice there. If you're on Pro then set the output to 2160 and the Pro does everything for you.

Why anyone would set their Pro to output 1080 if they are on a 2160 screen is beyond me. Select the 1080 Pro "mode" in a game sure, but not the output signal.

For 1440 owners they have no choice sadly. Neither the Ps4 or the Pro can output at 1440. So they will render at whatever resolution and then scale as requited to 1080, which the monitor will then scale internally to 1440. The only way around this is if the monitor can handle a 2160 signal, which I don't think many, or even any, can.

Yeah, sorry. I quoted your post as it was applicable to scaling. But it wasn't targeted directly at you. I've seen people around here saying stuff like "just set it to whatever if you TV is high quality, it will probably do better scaling, etc".

Wanted to make it clear this is not how it works on consoles.

DBT85

[Asmodean];224349777 said:
Yeah, sorry. I quoted your post as it was applicable to scaling. But it wasn't targeted directly at you. I've seen people around here saying stuff like "just set it to whatever if you TV is high quality, it will probably do better scaling, etc".

Wanted to make it clear this is not how it works on consoles.

Ahh ok :)

Yeah the PS4 and PRo scale content very well. Good TVs do as well, but many are bloody awful.

23qwerty

Argh, okay. I'm on my way to pick up a Pro, selling my OG PS4 to a friend for $180 to help subsidize the cost. I didn't even want a Pro, but the allure of having the definitive FFXV experience, along with all the reports of the Pro making a noticeable difference even on 1080p screens, have swayed me. My parents also just got a swanky new 4K set at their vacation home, so I'm also getting the Pro with an eye toward sampling some 4K gaming over the holidays/whenever I head up there.

...But it's mostly FFXV.

My question to you, GAF, is this: When during the transfer process (the one that utilizes an Ethernet cable connected between the source and target PS4s) are you supposed to deactivate your source PS4? After the transfer is complete, or before? Does it even matter? None of the guides I've read on the transfer process touch on this.
I assume you're talking about the primary account? It prompts you to activate the new ps4 as the primary account during the process.

Lady Gaia

The first day I had my Pro + 55" KS8000 I was focused on seeing what the pair could do, in part to decide whether or not to keep the new television. Not that it was a huge expense but there really wasn't anything wrong with our 1080p set. I've since written some about my initial impressions: better blacks, improved peak brightness, and astonishing color purity were sufficient to win me over. That's what I was hoping for when I took the leap. I was not expecting to appreciate the increase in resolution as much as I have. My eyesight isn't great and I sit 7-8' from a 55" display but it really does make a striking difference in the authenticity of textures when that detail is present.

What I've been doing since then is replaying Uncharted 4. It's not the highest resolution title at a mere 1440p but it's very clean looking and I've found the HDR presentation to be utterly immersive. On a PS4 at 1080p I was frequently distracted by dithering artifacts that are much less obvious now, appearing more like a subtle moiré effect when it's visible at all. Instead of bumping brightness up to make out subtle details in dark areas they now appear much more naturally like details glimpsed in darkness in the real world. Likewise, places where bright light intrudes into dark scenes like
early on emerging from solitary confinement in prison
feel less like a cinematographer adjusting exposure to simulate the experience, and more like actually squinting when emerging into bright light. Seriously impressive. This is what HDR is all about: not compliance with a protocol, but a step up in immersion resting from recreating familiar stimuli.

On the heat front, there's no question that running Pro enabled run the system hotter than base-mode titles. When playing Witcher 3 the system is incredibly quiet, whereas after hours of Uncharted 4 the fans are moving quite a bit of air. Even so, I've never heard the hair dryer mode that my launch PS4 occasionally kicks into. I have no doubt the Slim is a much quieter system, but the Pro's thermal management system seems to be pretty effective and not objectionable. I find the melted Pro photos utterly non-credible for a wide variety of reasons, but I wouldn't want to run the system in a space that doesn't offer decent air circulation.

Did the new controller get a charge boost? Seems to be lasting longer than my older ones.

Mine lasts a lot longer for sure. It's funny, I got so used to having to plug the old one in so much that I keep checking the battery bar expecting it to be low but it still had a full three bars after 7 or 8 hours of use.

Also regarding the comments about the hot spot on PS4 Pro, The bottom right corner is where mine gets warm. The first day it got super hot because I had it side-by-side/back-to-back with my PS3 and left both on for hours on accident and when i felt the bottom right corner of my PS4 it was super fucking hot. After I moved my PS3 it was fine though. It still gets warm in that corner but nothing like that one time.

Overall, the controller battery life, the noise level, and the heat output is much better than my OG. How long those last two will last we'll have to wait and see.

Sold my white PS4 for $270 and got the Pro for about 370 total with the target deal. Just have a 1080p TV so not seeing much difference which is kinda disappointing for now :) but I was aware of that ... I do miss that sexy white PS4 ... wish they had a white model for the Pro.

So I transferred everything from my old ps4 and got the Pro all set up. Didn't have time to give anything a proper test but I did give some vr stuff a quick go to see the difference.

Popped in thumper, rush of blood and playroom vr and was surprised how much better they all looked. I never had a problem with the quality before but everything looked a lot smoother and just generally better.

I will finally have broadband back in my house on Wednesday after moving (been a hellish month with unexpected delays) so I will be able to update Uncharted 4 and ratchet and clank and give them a go. I also have £40 credit at my local store and was going to get pokemon moon but due to having the Pro I may get final fantasy 15 instead...tough call lol.

Quick question for anyone, does the rigs demo benefit from pro or not? Figured not but wanted to check.

Mathieran

Banned
Sold my white PS4 for $270 and got the Pro for about 370 total with the target deal. Just have a 1080p TV so not seeing much difference which is kinda disappointing for now :) but I was aware of that ... I do miss that sexy white PS4 ... wish they had a white model for the Pro.

Boot up a non pro game, and you will notice the difference. I wasn't that impressed until I played Bloodborne, and then I realized difference. Now I can't unsee the jaggies when I play it.

T-0800

With regard to Infamous, at 1080p I can't see a difference in resolution when switching between the options but my goodness, the option for a better framerate makes the game so much better.

Boot up a non pro game, and you will notice the difference. I wasn't that impressed until I played Bloodborne, and then I realized difference. Now I can't unsee the jaggies when I play it.

Huh? You are saying BB on Pro is much better without even the patch? On a 1080 tv? Am I reading this correctly? If so I will jump back into it tonight :)

DBT85

Wouldn't mind some insight from retailGAF as to how it's selling. Word on the street says better than anyone anticipated.

There was a thread. I believe it sold a unit, and there were 4 whole other people buying one. So that's an easy 5. And I know I got one, so 6.

:p

We have no idea yet. The people that see thins stuff said pre orders were good but we've not heard since launch.

farisr

Huh? You are saying BB on Pro is much better without even the patch? On a 1080 tv? Am I reading this correctly? If so I will jump back into it tonight :)
you read incorrectly. Bloodborne the non pro game has jaggies and is making them see the difference/improvements the pro is making in other games that have a pro patch.

Yeah, but it's not happening to me in VR. This is happening to me while playing regular games. Or are you saying if my setup runs through the VR box I would have this issue?
So far I've only had it happen to me when I'm exiting the FFXV Judgment demo. I'll keep an eye out if it occurs elsewhere.

Hostile_18

Banned
Has Tear Away unfolded ever been a PS Plus game?

I just ask because it's now in my library of "purchased" games and it's not the first time a game has somehow glitched into my library (Destiny Base version and Trials Fushion).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait so the new Tomb Raider game is 4k?

Kevin

How is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PS4 for someone who has never played it before? Wish that would get a Pro patch but I'm sure it's too old and won't be considered.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PS4 for someone who has never played it before? Wish that would get a Pro patch but I'm sure it's too old and won't be considered.

Probably the best version of the game. The work put into that remaster is to be commended and it is still a stunning looking game today, difficult to even see the last-gen roots at all. A Pro patch would be nice, but finishing it last month to prep for RoTR and it still looks stunning amidst some of the best looking games on the console.

Great game too.

Top Bottom