• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Hjod

Banned
Shadow of Mordor in the "prefer resolution" option. Downsampled to 1080p by Pro itself. (running a 4K TV).

middle-earth_shadowofwlbo8.png

Damn that looks nice, maybe I need to replay SoM, I already have the platinum but, hmm.

Bustanen

It's performing worse than expected right now. This is either because of the Pro, or I'm just remembering it incorrectly.
I think it's the same on Pro. I'm playing through again and Ole Yharnam is where it gets the most drops. Other than that seems fine to me.

It's performing worse than expected right now. This is either because of the Pro, or I'm just remembering it incorrectly.

It just doesn't perform well. I went back and forth a bunch of times and it seems about the same.

All the more reason we need a patch.

The Seagate 2TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Bare/OEM Hard Drive is a better drive. It's faster (7200rpm vs 5400rpm) and it is a bit cheaper.

If you don't need 2TB, you can go for something a little faster with less space, a 1TB SSHD:

Old version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
New version: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Firecuda-Gaming-Internal-ST1000LX015/dp/B01LWRTRZU
Thanks for the info! Yeah I would get the Firecuda but I don't know how long it will take for the waitlist.

NySpeed

To those who do remote play to PC...

Is the controller input lag any better? I feel on my launch PS4, in home remote play (even wired- both PS4 and PC) will give me pretty noticeable controller lag on multiple PCs especially on 60fps games.

Any improvements in remote play performance besides the 1080p60??

So I mentioned to the wife about the idea of trading in my ps4 towards a pro and she said to go for it so I'm gonna be picking the Pro up shortly and then will sell the ps4 once everything is transferred over :D

I wasn't really thinking of getting it so soon since I got psvr day 1 and didn't want to spend so much money in one month so I'm very surprised and happy.

Now to keep an eye out for good, 10bit 4k tv's in the post Christmas sales or for my birthday in February ;)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've been too busy with my backlog to check out Shadow of Mordor on the Pro yet, what are the options ? Higher framerate or resolution or just the latter ?
It doesn't have a frame rate option unfortunately, only prefer quality which locks it at 1080p with enhanced effects and prefer resolution which renders it at higher than 1080p.

aett

Ordered my Pro yesterday (getting $58 off from my wife's Target red card plus the 10% from the wish list app was pretty awesome).

How big are the Pro upgrade patches so far? I don't have 4k but am excited for the 1080p enhancements.

Unknown?

When it comes to RGB range it's best to set it up specifically. TV's default to limited. PC monitors default to full.

So as long as you didn't mess with your TVs color range, it should be limited.

Set it to Full. You'll quickly know if you're getting black crush. And if that's the case, then set your PS4 to limited.

Hmmm but my TV defaults to full should they both be limited?

Boke1879

So how's the heating and noise on this thing. Someone on twitter is saying his Pro is literally melting. Has a picture and all. Can't really post a pic as I'm on mobile.

Anyone seeing stuttering in Rise of the Tomb Raider when you start a brand new game during the opening cinematic where it's panning the camp? It seems to get better eventually, but it always happens when I try starting a new game. Sometimes it's worse than other times. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my Pro?

Vinc

So how's the heating and noise on this thing. Someone on twitter is saying his Pro is literally melting. Has a picture and all. Can't really post a pic as I'm on mobile.

Both noise and heat are better than my launch unit. Noisier than my launch Xbox One, but less hot.

I never touched my original, but the Pro is super hot to touch and you can feel a lot of warm air blowing out the back.

Humdinger

Well, mine hasn't melted, I can say that much. Pictures seem to capture people's attention.

I saw an article yesterday that measured the Pro's running temp. I believe it was 35 degrees Celcius, which is around 95 Fahrenheit.

Noise has been fine for me. Very quiet. I think there's a whole thread on the subject.

Boke1879

I see. Thanks for the responses guys. I was all in on this thing day 1 but I think I'll wait and just nab a slim on Black Friday. With FFXV looking good on og PS4 I can hold off.

And I don't even have a 4K tv yet and if i buy this thing I definitely want all the bang for my buck. I'll most likely pick it up when Horizon comes out.

And yea that's the picture I saw.

Boke1879

His Twitter feed.

Ugh, almost Crapgamer levels. I don't know if the pic is real or fake.

Yea I'm not sure th conditions behind this. And right now we haven't heard any more about this. Nothing from major site and nothing from places who have tested this thing no doubt. I'm sure places have tested what happens if the console is on for an extended period of time.

The whole games thing running worse. Those games can be fixed via patches

Elios83

Do we have to guess what happened here?

Hopefully he has not done something very stupid like melting it on purpose to get 5 minutes of internet fame.
The Pro is pretty silent and cold overall and in that part of the console there's nothing that makes the temperature go high, let alone being able to melt it......

thatJohann

Those of you with 1080p sets, you taking screenshots at 1080p or 4K on share settings? I'm curious which setting looks best. Heard mixed reviews on 4K captures

styl3s

Looks like it was melted from the outside the way it bends but what do i know? I'm not a fire expert. Just out of precautions i will still be diligent and keeping an eye on mine but like some said nobody else is reporting on it and i sifted through ps4pro and ps4 pro on twitter looking for any melting issues and nothing.

Could be a bad console but my money is on bullshit and not out of a fanboy stance but a the burnt area looks fishy as all fuck and there haven't been any other complaints especially here where a ton of people bought and have been putting it through its paces where if overheating to the point of melting is a possibility you would of heard it here first.

Humdinger

I see. Thanks for the responses guys. I was all in on this thing day 1 but I think I'll wait and just nab a slim on Black Friday. With FFXV looking good on og PS4 I can hold off.

And I don't even have a 4K tv yet and if i buy this thing I definitely want all the bang for my buck. I'll most likely pick it up when Horizon comes out.

Not trying to sell you, but if you want bang for the buck, the Pro gives more than the Slim. You'll probably lose money trading your Slim in for a Pro a few months later. And FFXV will look better on the Pro, even at 1080p.

Boke1879

Not trying to sell you, but if you want bang for the buck, the Pro gives more than the Slim. You'll probably lose money trading your Slim in for a Pro a few months later. And FFXV will look better on the Pro, even at 1080p.

You know you're right. A lot of games will see upgrades at 1080p on the Pro.

Ran Ran

As far as that pictures goes...

From my own experience with the Pro, the back of the console runs very hot but the front is virtually cold. That "melted" area appears to be the side of the console at the front, which as i said, has zero heat from what I can tell.

RuhRo

Is there *any* way to get HDR video streaming on this console now?

I upped my Netflix subscription to a 4K/HDR plan and turned on Daredevil, which is confirmed to be streaming in HDR.

And... nothing. It runs in 4K, but to get HDR I have to play it through my Chromecast Ultra. On PS4 Pro, no dice.

A little Googling appears to suggest that *no one* is getting HDR through the Netflix app on the Pro: http://community.us.playstation.com...etflix-HDR-on-the-Samsung-JS9000/m-p/46037364

And Amazon's Pro app doesn't seem to have HDR activated either, though they now stream shows using the format on other platforms.

HDR works fine in games - as in when I boot HDR games, it notifies me it's switching to HDR mode and the colors look different.

...So did Sony just release a console marketed around HDR, strip out its ability to play HDR physical media in favor of streaming, then quietly just... not bother to have HDR content available to stream?

Top Bottom