• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

breakfuss

Lol IW makes the console loud as fuck man. Again, not a deal breaker but if anyone was hoping this version remedied the noise it does not. To be fair only IW and TLOU have reached this level of noise.

Well, this was disconcerting. While playing Dishonored 2 at the start of a level on the skiff, some weird blue static-like vertical lines were flashing on the screen. Reloaded, couldn't reproduce.

Yeah, hope that doesn't mean something is about to fail.

Decided to play killzone SF again. The game is still jaw dropping. To bad theres been no pro patch coming. It could easily be the best looking game on the system still.

Wait so the new Tomb Raider game is 4k?
Yes, it received an update last month that patched in support for the Pro. Wish I could've done more research as I had read somewhere that it was already on-disc, but I heard nothing short of positive praise for the tech adjustments and I've been debating whether I should bother with it in spite of my strenuous net access.

How is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PS4 for someone who has never played it before? Wish that would get a Pro patch but I'm sure it's too old and won't be considered.
If you're a fan of the Uncharted series, you might find yourself partly entertained as the reboot strives to capture a reminiscent sense of game design. It doesn't come off as charming in the storytelling department of Sony's exclusive property and critical praise was a bit too positive as result of the launch wave, but I think it's a pretty decent shooter for PS4.

Realized that my right stick controller curves to the right...when I'm playing Overwatch or MWR I noticed it but not when I was playing FFXV Judgment. I'm upset now but I don't want to return the whole thing. I just want the controller fixed....

Kevin

Yes, it received an update last month that patched in support for the Pro. Wish I could've done more research as I had read somewhere that it was already on-disc, but I heard nothing short of positive praise for the tech adjustments and I've been debating whether I should bother with it in spite of my strenuous net access.

If you're a fan of the Uncharted series, you might find yourself partly entertained as the reboot strives to capture a reminiscent sense of game design. It doesn't come off as charming in the storytelling department of Sony's exclusive property and critical praise was a bit too positive as result of the launch wave, but I think it's a pretty decent shooter for PS4.

Huge fans of the Uncharted series (still need to play Uncharted 4). So I am hoping I will enjoy the Tomb Raider games as well.

Mothman91

Anyone trade their ps4 in without a deal? Really thinking of getting a pro when ffxv comes out. Was seeing what kind of $$ you all got for trading in a ps4. I also have an extra controller if that's worth it.

chefbags

So for my controller that came with the pro, I have the problem where no headphone jack fits at all. It just won't go through all the way in. It says on the screen that I'm using headphones but I can still hear the speaker playing.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?

Maybe it's just my imagination but the performance of the Funimation app seems to be improved. The picture quality is better and it loads my queue faster although the faster loading is likely due to my Firecuda drive.

Onaco

Maybe it's just my imagination but the performance of the Funimation app seems to be improved. The picture quality is better and it loads my queue faster although the faster loading is likely due to my Firecuda drive.
The Wi-Fi was improved on the Pro. Maybe it's getting a higher bit rate?

I kinda don't think it's your imagination? I'm pretty confident my Netflix quality has improved since I got a Pro.

Tried Helldivers today. Didn't see much of a difference.
I gave it a quick crack last night. Without proper back to back comparisons it's really hard to say for sure, and it didn't help that I hadn't played the OG version in a long time, but (on a 1080p TV) to me it looked slightly sharper and had a locked framerate. Not a huge difference.

I was playing BF1 on my friends Ps4P on Friday and I noticed significant performance improvement. Especially in load times. Can't comment on visuals since he doesn't have a 4k TV yet.

Geneijin

Anyone trade their ps4 in without a deal? Really thinking of getting a pro when ffxv comes out. Was seeing what kind of $$ you all got for trading in a ps4. I also have an extra controller if that's worth it.
Gamestop currently offers $150. That's pretty good honestly considering the $250 UC4 bundle with Ratchet & Clank and The Last of Us on Black Friday is coming soon. You might be able to do $200 on craigslist but YMMV.

Kalentan

Im sure someone else has posted this already but there Warframe will be getting a patch soon as well.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/708054-ps4-pro-and-vr/

I really can't wait for it. The thing that killed Warframe for me was the FPS at higher rounds and in some levels. If they can achieve a more stable 60 fps that would be awesome.

Anyone tried FFXIV?
How's the performance?

As far as I know there is no FFXIV Pro patch yet.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Check your Eco settings to make sure they aren't responding to changes in ambient light.

Great suggestions but all my eco options were turned off so that's probably not it. Haven't used it for like 5 hours so I'll boot it up in a bit and see if I notice a difference.

Edit: this time it stopped outputting audio after about 30 minutes of playing. Power cycle, checked the connections, no audio. Hooray...

My PS4 Pro wasn't reading discs now for some reason. I reset it and still wasn't showing the app but then I gave a small hit and it worked. Should I be worried?

Decided to play killzone SF again. The game is still jaw dropping. To bad theres been no pro patch coming. It could easily be the best looking game on the system still.

Those Guerrilla Games wizards, now imagine when Horizon comes out! :)

Got my Pro on Saturday morning, did not have the time to play any of the patched games as my 4K Bravia is arriving on Monday with a copy of BF1 and I'm currently invested in Mad Max (shame on me for not buying it day one, great game). Love how quiet the system is and actually the design is starting to grow on me.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm a PC gamer primarily. But the PS4 Pro is really impressing me. Two games in particular have been absolutely phenomenal, visually speaking: Uncharted 4 and Ratchet.

Ratchet in particular is just incredible. It's the first time I can truly say we're approaching real-time Pixar like graphics. Well done Insomniac. And know that I bought the game today solely because it is well priced and has PS4 Pro support. So thank you, Insomniac.

Kevin

I'm a PC gamer primarily. But the PS4 Pro is really impressing me. Two games in particular have been absolutely phenomenal, visually speaking: Uncharted 4 and Ratchet.

Ratchet in particular is just incredible. It's the first time I can truly say we're approaching real-time Pixar like graphics. Well done Insomniac. And know that I bought the game today solely because it is well priced and has PS4 Pro support. So thank you, Insomniac.

I have a pretty beefy gaming computer and Ratchet and Clank on PS4 Pro via a 4K HDR enabled tv really did still manage to blow me away. Really great looking game that pretty much looks damn near CG quality in visuals at times.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Is anyone else thrown off by the HDR in Second Son ?

It's suppose to enhance details and brighten up areas, right?

Either the hdr or the lighting in this game is fucked because its crushed and darkened as hell.

M.W.

Either the hdr or the lighting in this game is fucked because its crushed and darkened as hell.

Yeah, I gave up on trying to make Infamous look good on my TV, lol

ViciousDS

Banned
So.......what games support HDR currently?

Infamous, Deus ex and NBA?

Which btw NBA sucks.....2k has absolutely no idea what they are doing with the tech. No slider or anything.

dedhead54

The dormitory section of The Last of Us in 4k w/ HDR was so enjoyable. I could really tell the HDR was in affect with the lighting and how the colors popped on the posters in the dorm rooms. Then the haze/spores in the basement looked so good.

I had been playing the game on my PS4 last week and when I got my Pro and switched to 30fps locked I thought I wasn't going to be adjust to the drop in framerate. I switched back to unlocked immediately. Then finally today I decided to give it a go again and once my eyes adjusted to the slower framerate I was able to really tell how good the IQ was.

DBT85

So.......what games support HDR currently?

Infamous, Deus ex and NBA?

Which btw NBA sucks.....2k has absolutely no idea what they are doing with the tech. No slider or anything.

There was a little list going around.

Can't remember all.

Infamous
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted 4
Deux Ex
NBA
TLOUR

What sucks about HDR in NBA?

lots of black crush?

ViciousDS

Banned
There was a little list going around.

Can't remember all.

Infamous
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted 4
Deux Ex
NBA
TLOUR

What sucks about HDR in NBA?

lots of black crush?

You can't adjust it in game.....you have to fiddle with your tv settings despite the fact they already might be perfectly setup universally for everything else. My tv was setup for gears and forza easily, in game slider allowed you to adjust the HDR brightness. Didn't have to fiddle with anything once set. Here comes 2k and NBA.......you have to mess with your color, brightness, gamma......literally everything from a TV level. I'm not doing that just for one game.

HDR in Second Son looks amazing on my TV, no black crush at all.

Lady Gaia

It's playable but really unnatural looking. I haven't done any real analysis or research on the current state of affairs but it looks like the gamma curve the display is using doesn't match the intent of the source material. It's not inconceivable that this could vary from display to display, which could explain why some people rave about Infamous and others aren't impressed.

For reference, I'm using a Samsung KS8000.

DBT85

You can't adjust it in game.....you have to fiddle with your tv settings despite the fact they already might be perfectly setup universally for everything else. My tv was setup for gears and forza easily, in game slider allowed you to adjust the HDR brightness. Didn't have to fiddle with anything once set. Here comes 2k and NBA.......you have to mess with your color, brightness, gamma......literally everything from a TV level. I'm not doing that just for one game.

Hmm. That sounds a bit weird. Are both the Pro and the xbone going through an amp, or are they direct into the TV?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did the new controller get a charge boost? Seems to be lasting longer than my older ones.

It's the same mA battery charge, but yes I played 10 and a half hours of Shadow of Mordor (as per game progression timer) and battery was still at 1 bar before I charged it the first time.

ViciousDS

Banned
Hmm. That sounds a bit weird. Are both the Pro and the xbone going through an amp, or are they direct into the TV?

Both directly to TV.

It's an HDR slider problem. Why does every game but NBA have it. I'm not wasting my time fiddling with my TV for a single game lol

It's playable but really unnatural looking. I haven't done any real analysis or research on the current state of affairs but it looks like the gamma curve the display is using doesn't match the intent of the source material. It's not inconceivable that this could vary from display to display, which could explain why some people rave about Infamous and others aren't impressed.

For reference, I'm using a Samsung KS8000.
I think it's possible some just like black crush as well. A lot of people are fond of the "Xbox pop" (the black level issue XB1 had near launch)

Top Bottom