• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

ToadMan

This is kinda disappointing but oh well. It's kinda sad how Microsoft nail down all aspects of the console (yes I know 217GBP is a lot for an extra 1TB,but at least it is there at launch as an option), besides the exclusive games. While with Sony it seems the other way around.

MS is selling you a mid spec - soon to be low spec - SSD for 217GBP and it’s only useable in the Xsex/s.

Sony will support off the shelf cutting edge SSDs for the same price and they’ll be useable in any device supporting the standard.

There’s zero need for an expansion day one or month one or probably even for the next 6 months even if you buy every SSD only game. Beyond that only prolific purchasers of PS5 content will hit problems and if you’re that sold on the PS concept, you’ll put up with it. Or just buy a second console! Lol.

I’ll take Sony’s future proofing over settling for old tech and overcharging for it.

Neo Blaster

MS is selling you a mid spec - soon to be low spec - SSD for 217GBP and it’s only useable in the Xsex/s.

Sony will support off the shelf cutting edge SSDs for the same price and they’ll be useable in any device supporting the standard.

There’s zero need for an expansion day one or month one or probably even for the next 6 months even if you buy every SSD only game. Beyond that only prolific purchasers of PS5 content will hit problems and if you’re that sold on the PS concept, you’ll put up with it. Or just buy a second console! Lol.

I’ll take Sony’s future proofing over settling for old tech and overcharging for it.
We have to consider those expansion drives are really expensive right now, no matter which console you choose. Many(including me) would probably wait for them to become cheaper anyway, and would rather invest in an affordable external HDD/SSD for cold storage for a while.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Some late metacritic predictions
SM:MM - 78
Sackboy - 73
DS- 89

Looking forward to seeing them reviews
Just for fun PS4 launch games and where they landed:

Flower 91 (PS3 Port)
Killzone Shadow Fall 73
Knack 54
Resogun 84
Sound Shapes 84 (PS3 Port)
Escape Plan 73 (PS3 Port)
Flow 71 (PS3 Port)

GonSama

Some late metacritic predictions
SM:MM - 78
Sackboy - 73
DS- 89

Looking forward to seeing them reviews

Spider-Man Miles Morales - 86

Last edited:

whitesugar

Banned
Pleasantly surprised it's that high. Astro scoring well too

Neo Blaster

So, what's your theory about PS5 longer load times in current gen games? I think it's because most I/O enhancements aren't being used on both consoles, like hardware decompression, so the CPU must perform the task. Unpatched PS5 games running in legacy mode would be limited to PS4 Pro frequency at most, while XSX games would run using max frequency, hence that delta favoring the latter.

Do we already have loading time comparisons for crossgen games?

inflation

So, what's your theory about PS5 longer load times in current gen games? I think it's because most I/O enhancements aren't being used on both consoles, like hardware decompression, so the CPU must perform the task. Unpatched PS5 games running in legacy mode would be limited to PS4 Pro frequency at most, while XSX games would run using max frequency, hence that delta favoring the latter.

I speculate that the system emulates the legacy file system for games in BC mode. The PS4 version of SP:MM loads a lot slower on PS5.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I just noticed the jack at the back of the controller is much bigger than the jack on my Turtle Beach headsets. :(

edit: I just checked and according to a guide, my headset is compatible so there must be a jack plug hidden away somewhere.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

10.5 hours is very good. Got a second controller too and a charging station so I will last long sessions more convenient now. Although I never game 10 hours straight lol, that is just crazy unhealthy. Anyway, good improvements over the DS4.

we-eatin.jpg

I never understood the complaints about the DS4, or maybe it was just mine that was able to last around 7 hours of playtime. 10 hours is overkill.

I always charge my controllers after playing so battery life was never an issue for me. However the triggers are a bit delicate on the DS4 and I did have the rubber issue with my launch controller.

Keihart

So i was watchig the NXGamer NXGamer new video and it turns out that the switch doesn't do resume and suspend, gasp! ...are we ready for meltdowns? it thinks it's pretty shit if the PS5 it's not supporting the fast switching of xboxSx.

So i was watchig the NXGamer NXGamer new video and it turns out that the switch doesn't do resume and suspend, gasp! ...are we ready for meltdowns? it thinks it's pretty shit if the PS5 it's not supporting the fast switching of xboxSx.

It does not but It does do a cool little thing too. While switching to a new game you can pick from activity cards a specific section to play on the fly (before switching). In other words, it's not just straight to a save point from the game's system menu - you have options now.

Last edited:

Keihart

It does not but It does do a cool little thing too. While switching to a new game you can pick from activity cards a specific section to play on the fly (before switching). In other words, it's not just straight to a save point from the game's system menu - you have options now.
Sounds lame, why even bother if the game didn't intend for you to be skiping shit, but it is what it is. As someone with no interest in a xbox series x, i have to say that it is the one with the best OS level features, quick resume seems pretty fucking amazing, i saw Maximilliandood testing it yesterday, switching between a shit ton of games.

"Switcher" what a fucking bait that is.

Sounds lame, why even bother if the game didn't intend for you to be skiping shit, but it is what it is. As someone with no interest in a xbox series x, i have to say that it is the one with the best OS level features, quick resume seems pretty fucking amazing, i saw Maximilliandood testing it yesterday, switching between a shit ton of games.

"Switcher" what a fucking bait that is.

Activity cards are not randomly made by Sony or PS5's AI. It's, to use your terminology, intended, depending on your game progress. It's kind of odd because while quick resume is a save state switch, activity cards behave similarly but are preset. Sony should clean that up no doubt (in an update). The funtionality is more or less there - implemented differently for who knows what reason.

Last edited:

edotlee

"Loading into the new web-slinging adventure from the homepage takes less than ten seconds, and once you're swinging around Manhattan, you'll only wait a couple more to fast travel anywhere around the huge open world," Paget said.

"This stark improvement ensures you're spending more time playing and less time waiting for the game to load, but it also benefits the actual streaming of the open world... One of the more impressive early showcases for this comes as you finish a mission inside an enemy hideout. Forced to make a quick escape, you aim at a vent and sling Spider-Man through it, launching him into the open world seamlessly at a high speed. It's a quick moment, but it's a technical achievement that makes me excited for the next generation of open-world games."

This may be the most crucial difference between PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S at the dawn of this new generation. We cannot simply ignore the fact that Microsoft has made a conscious choice to move away from vast leaps between consoles, and toward the kind of consistency the Game Pass ecosystem demands. But we also can't ignore that Microsoft's choice inherently reduces opportunities to exploit the excitement of the new -- which is what hardware reviewers look for when arriving at their conclusions.

It is all part of a longer term strategy on Microsoft's part, the validity of which will be proven over months and years. What Sony has proved is that, whatever the future of games ultimately looks like, nothing beats a few bells and whistles when it comes to stoking excitement in the here and now.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Where are the reports of 2 hours battery life coming from? ( we all know lol )

13 hours according to Trusted Reviews.

Around 10-11 hours according to YongYea, like I predicted as the minimum. Keeping the controller on a shaking spot like on that big fan on Astrobot would drain it in around 4 hours according to Dave Lee:

Which is a bit more like stress test instead of gaming. So some reporting 10-11 hours and some 13, some even close to 20 hours as cragarmi cragarmi heard or tested by himself, and those are gaming times and menu which is more natural to expect.

Would love to know from HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 as the embargo has lifted!

Bo_Hazem

Banned

85, damn, that's pretty solid! The Raytracing is just crazy in this game after watching DF review from John. I would like to see only John reviewing PS5 games, Richard can be ok, but avoid the sleazy Alex Bugaga :lollipop_tears_of_joy: .

Rien

Jelly Belly
85, damn, that's pretty solid! The Raytracing is just crazy in this game after watching DF review from John. I would like to see only John reviewing PS5 games, Richard can be ok, but avoid the sleazy Alex Bugaga :lollipop_tears_of_joy: .
I think Alex Balaclava can review PS5 games as well. wonder what he thinks abt demon’s souls remake

ToadMan

Going back to Cerny’s talk I think it may have the answer

“By the way in terms of performance that custom decompressor equates to nine of our Zen2 cores that's what it would take to decompress the Kraken stream with a conventional CPU.

There's a lot more in the custom I/O unit including a dedicated DMA controller the game can direct exactly where it wants to send the data coming off of the SSD.

This equates to another Zen2 core or two in terms of its copy performance.”

PS4 uses zlib rather than Kraken and I assume they’re not directly compatible.

I think PS4 compressed data isn’t processed in the custom hardware so it’s using the CPU and that’s the load time bottleneck now. Decompression on the CPU and copying back into RAM.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Excellent post.

I've mentioned before that VRS makes the image look worse, and it's the reason why Digital Foundry easily noticed the PS5 was running everything so far without VRS, cause it's easy to check for.

And yet some Xbox fan criticized me for pointing out, that you sacrifice image quality for performance.

VRS is not a feature to brag about, and if your game has it, there better an option in the settings to turn it off.

There's your full RDNA2 that Xbox fans were so happy to have.

Synopsis: VRS is hot garbage.
Man you need to get some facts straight. There are different modes to vrs tied to visual quality and performance. You have see one game that showed the lower quality visuals as an option and now think this is the defacto standard. Its not.

oldergamer

Sorry about those specific ads :p
Use uBlock! and whitelist sites you wanna support.

I counted 60 frames for 1 second of video. Of course the XSX could have been running at 120fps and captured at 60fps? Not sure if they ever released any 120fps footage yet. In the description of the video, he says the b-roll footage for XSX was 60fps quality mode, but that can´t be.
Apparently there are no capture cards capable of 120fps yet

cragarmi

Around 10-11 hours according to YongYea, like I predicted as the minimum. Keeping the controller on a shaking spot like on that big fan on Astrobot would drain it in around 4 hours according to Dave Lee:

Which is a bit more like stress test instead of gaming. So some reporting 10-11 hours and some 13, some even close to 20 hours as cragarmi cragarmi heard or tested by himself, and those are gaming times and menu which is more natural to expect.

Would love to know from HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 as the embargo has lifted!

I should probably add for context that I have to reduce the intensity of the controller settings for reasons of accessibility, so that may explain some of the variation we are seeing.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Do we actually know if we'll be able to buy DLCs for PS4 games on PS5's store for BC games? I mean, not everyone will jump on board of next gen with huge PS4 digital libraries to bring them over to PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom