• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

slade

I got my PS5 yesterday at 4. Set it up and messed around with various functions till 11. Here's my little rundown of the good and the bad.

First thing that popped up right into the OS was a data rebuild because my drive was apparently corrupted. Ok, went through the process and then started downloading my games. Meanwhile, tried out Netflix and other media options. The Media Remote makes a huge difference here. If you use it to power on your PS5, it will take you straight into Media, cold reboot or out of Rest Mode. The remotes dedicated buttons work well and get you to the apps pretty quickly. I wish though that they would let you remap another app like Crunchyroll to Disney+.

Played a two hour movie on Netflix while games downloaded in the background. The Media Remote can be set up to operate tv functions as well and for my tv at least, I was able to use the volume keys to control the tv volume.

So, movie over, games downloaded, I dove right into Miles Morales. Five mins into the game, the PS5 shut down and turned itself off. I was not impressed. Turned it back on and again greeted with the database rebuild message. Did that and dove right back into the game. It ran pretty well after that. Played a little bit and then decided to move onto a PS4 title. Loaded up Ghost of Tsushima. My saves were not there. No worries, I have PS+ and uploaded my saves in anticipation of this launch. Went to settings and was greeted with error message when trying to access cloud storage. Tried a little more and then decided to go to bed. I didn't hook up any external storage and decided to power the PS5 off completely.

Woke up this morning and threw all caution to the wind. Figured that if something is going to fail, it had damned well better fail now then when the warranty expires. Hooked up my USB 3.0 HDD and transferred Days Gone over. Went to access cloud storage and everything was there now. Loaded up my Days Gone save. Played a mission and it is immediately noticeable how smooth this is compared to PS4. Played a bit more of Miles Morales in Performance and Fidelity mode.

So as I write this, I've got Spotify blaring in the background. I've switched multiple games and I've got my external storage connected and will do some more regular use tests including playing directly from the external storage. Have not had any errors today so that is encouraging.

Hope all goes well.

Entroyp

The PS5 launch has been a stark contrast against the PS4 launch. I remember Don’t Starve being my most played game back then.

Now I’m in a dilemma about what game to finish first: Miles? Demon’s? Sackboy? Bugsnax? Godfall? Astro? DMC:SE?

What a magnificent launch by Sony. And what a great time to be a gamer.

Last edited:

xacto

I got my PS5 yesterday at 4. Set it up and messed around with various functions till 11. Here's my little rundown of the good and the bad.

First thing that popped up right into the OS was a data rebuild because my drive was apparently corrupted. Ok, went through the process and then started downloading my games. Meanwhile, tried out Netflix and other media options. The Media Remote makes a huge difference here. If you use it to power on your PS5, it will take you straight into Media, cold reboot or out of Rest Mode. The remotes dedicated buttons work well and get you to the apps pretty quickly. I wish though that they would let you remap another app like Crunchyroll to Disney+.

Played a two hour movie on Netflix while games downloaded in the background. The Media Remote can be set up to operate tv functions as well and for my tv at least, I was able to use the volume keys to control the tv volume.

So, movie over, games downloaded, I dove right into Miles Morales. Five mins into the game, the PS5 shut down and turned itself off. I was not impressed. Turned it back on and again greeted with the database rebuild message. Did that and dove right back into the game. It ran pretty well after that. Played a little bit and then decided to move onto a PS4 title. Loaded up Ghost of Tsushima. My saves were not there. No worries, I have PS+ and uploaded my saves in anticipation of this launch. Went to settings and was greeted with error message when trying to access cloud storage. Tried a little more and then decided to go to bed. I didn't hook up any external storage and decided to power the PS5 off completely.

Woke up this morning and threw all caution to the wind. Figured that if something is going to fail, it had damned well better fail now then when the warranty expires. Hooked up my USB 3.0 HDD and transferred Days Gone over. Went to access cloud storage and everything was there now. Loaded up my Days Gone save. Played a mission and it is immediately noticeable how smooth this is compared to PS4. Played a bit more of Miles Morales in Performance and Fidelity mode.

So as I write this, I've got Spotify blaring in the background. I've switched multiple games and I've got my external storage connected and will do some more regular use tests including playing directly from the external storage. Have not had any errors today so that is encouraging.

Hope all goes well.
The PS5 launch has been a stark contrast against the PS4 launch. I remember Don’t Starve being my most played game back then.

Now I’m in a dilemma about what game to finish first: Miles? Demon’s? Sackboy? Bugsnax? Godfall? Astro? DMC:SE?

Please let us know, the less fortunate ones who didn't get a PS5 yet, when Sony updates the PS5 OS and after that, if you still experience those hiccups of the launch batch.

Thanks!

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Ok guys check this out. Someone help me. I found a really good example of how HDR sucks on my TV.

Here is a shot with HDR turned OFF. Looks pretty nice!

KPF3fy2.jpg

Here is the same place with HDR back on.

qLcWyoE.jpg

Everything in the foreground is just black, and the sunlight becomes this ugly blob. I know this can't be right. No matter what I do to my settings, I can't make it look good though.

What's your TV?

saintjules

Gold Member
I know some people don't like using this as an option, but I'd rather get protected just in case. Anyone know if Sony has plans to do extended Warranty? No info online as of yet, but I assume they will.

Last edited:

slade

Please let us know, the less fortunate ones who didn't get a PS5 yet, when Sony updates the PS5 OS and after that, if you still experience those hiccups of the launch batch.

Thanks!

So far today, nothing has gone wrong. My son has been playing Fortnite on it and loves how snappy it is compared to the slow computer he usually plays on.

Also, I have the disc version but have only digital games. At some point will test a blu ray.

Last edited:

Entroyp

Thanks!

Spider-Man MM crashed on me today a couple of times so I decided to remove the external drive and play some more. If it doesn’t crash again I will wait for an OS update before plugging it back.

xacto

Spider-Man MM crashed on me today a couple of times so I decided to remove the external drive and play some more. If it doesn’t crash again I will wait for an OS update before plugging it back.

Many thanks to slade slade and Entroyp Entroyp and the rest of the posters who keep us updated!

Entroyp Entroyp So MM crashed on you because you were running it from an external drive, or because you had an external connected to your PS5 while you were playing MM from the internal SSD?

slade slade Any external drives connected while your son was playing Fortnite or it was run internally?

all my PS4 games on are in my external SSD and every time I think of plugging it in I get paranoid and tell myself to wait for update

it’s tough because I have waited for PS5 to play Ghost of Tsushima. I guess I could just download it to the main internal

slade

It was run on the internal SSD. I played Nioh for about twenty minutes off the external HDD. No hiccups and one of the good things about the PS5 is how whisper quiet it is. Really drives home how loud the PS4 got.

Currently transferring all my saved data from the cloud. I'll try the God of War and the Uncharted games from the external HDD as well as downloading directly to the external HDD.

Chiggs

Gold Member
No themes or folders at launch is pretty lame. I have no doubt that once these come, it's going to be awesome, but right now it's kind of a drag.

xacto

all my PS4 games on are in my external SSD and every time I think of plugging it in I get paranoid and tell myself to wait for update

it’s tough because I have waited for PS5 to play Ghost of Tsushima. I guess I could just download it to the main internal

Yes, I was thinking just that, get Ghost on the internal SSD and call it a day; I watched its gameplay at 60 FPS, oh my... you will never go back to 30 FPS after that. Or you could try the unscientific method, and start it from external, because in worst case scenario, your saves are backed up online, and it will probably prompt you to rebuild database, at its worst.

Are there any reports of people losing game installs, bricked PS5's because of that?

xacto

They ran out of time. It explains the BS with the SSD expansion, too.

Could be that; now they need to move fast, and release stability updates and some QoL ones as well. Especially stability, real ones this time, unlike the PS4 "stability updates" who didn't explain exactly what they did. But I have a feeling Sony will do the same now, as in being vague about it.

ManaByte

Gold Member

You can finish Astro in one sitting. So do that first.

slade

Played about an hour of God of War from my external HDD. It's a WD 4TB Mybook I bought a few years back. Anyway, here's the last five minutes on Youtube. Spoilers on one of the characters Btw.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Someone please try a ps4 game on an external ssd and let me know if the loading is much longer than playing it on internal. I'm in the verge of buying one if its decent and no one seems to have tried it out 😂

Hostile_18

Banned
Played about an hour of God of War from my external HDD. It's a WD 4TB Mybook I bought a few years back. Anyway, here's the last five minutes on Youtube. Spoilers on one of the characters Btw.

Loads times the same as on the PS4 or better? I can get a good deal on that mechanical HD at the moment.

DrDamn

Wonder what's up with that, it took Sony a while to bring those to PS4 as well. Didn't they learn already?

New UI, I would guess that the fact people will have fewer titles to begin with and the way a single line of games looks best aesthetically as you scroll along them is partly the reason.

They ran out of time. It explains the BS with the SSD expansion, too.

This is more waiting for other tech to catch up to an extent. Or at least become affordable.

slade

Loads times the same as on the PS4 or better? I can get a good deal on that mechanical HD at the moment.

Not entirely sure. I never owned a Pro so I'm basing everything of how it played on the original PS4 and IMO it seems to load the same but looks much better. I'll upload more videos to my youtube later. Try some other first and third party games.

Never buy TCL TVs for HDR. I assume you have that since you asked for TV help and didn't mention which TV. :)

I don't know what TCL means, but it's an Element, a cheap Target brand. I did mention it when I first brought this up but yeah. Got it on black Friday last year. It does boast HDR10 on the box, but I figured it's probably just not good.

I have been playing Astro's Playroom today though with HDR on and it looks perfect. What an amazing game too.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Are the PS5 game cases the same as PS4? I want to buy black replacement ones as I find the blue fugly with the white label.

Entroyp

Many thanks to slade slade and Entroyp Entroyp and the rest of the posters who keep us updated!

Entroyp Entroyp So MM crashed on you because you were running it from an external drive, or because you had an external connected to your PS5 while you were playing MM from the internal SSD?

slade slade Any external drives connected while your son was playing Fortnite or it was run internally?

MM has to run on the internal SSD, but I’ve heard that having an external drive plugged in might cause some issues. I’m not sure if it’s related or not but it hasn’t happened again.

vpance

Staying cautious so I'm avoiding rest mode and using external drives for now.

Internal drive is full but don't have much need to play anything other than DeS, Sushi and Astro at the moment anyways.

Grinchy

Banned
So has anyone messed with the 3D Audio calibration setting?

It plays like this running water sound and you're supposed to select the option that sounds the most like it's at ear level or something?

Dthomp

Start with Astro, it is so much better then it has any right being. A really fun and beautiful platformer with nods all over the place to the history of playstation. Just fininshed it myself and going to go back for the trophies I missed. I still need to play MM and Spiderman again on the 5, but most of my time has been ate up with Destiny 2. Load times are next to nothing and that alone makes such a huge difference. I'm just afraid that running my system 12-14 hours a day may not be overly good but I can't stop

vpance

So has anyone messed with the 3D Audio calibration setting?

It plays like this running water sound and you're supposed to select the option that sounds the most like it's at ear level or something?

Yeah guess so. I picked the last option. Didn't bother comparing it to the other ones.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
very happy with my PS5 so far. played a lot of Demon's and Astro's. downloaded a bunch of older games and played some of them too. they need to step up the 60fps 4k patches c'mon. i would love Bloodborne just a 4k30 if it must be. they have to know this is a much-in-demand feature, right?

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

I'm a bit confused about internal vs output resolution regarding tvs supporting 4K 120Hz. If PS5 is set to output 2160p on video config and a game like COD runs at 1080p 120fps, is it upscaling the video to deliver 4k 120 to the tv?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Can we program the media remote for the quick launch apps? Won't be using Spotify on the machine and rather have it be a Hulu button.

inflation

Yet still very noticeable, at least they included a 60fps mode.

Also what is up with miles animation, it looks like a 15fps character. They went with a spiderverse style but I don't like that
It's a suit mod that you can turn it off. I love it more in 30fps than 60fps, looks amusing when swinging.

mitchman

Gold Member
I don't know what TCL means, but it's an Element, a cheap Target brand. I did mention it when I first brought this up but yeah. Got it on black Friday last year. It does boast HDR10 on the box, but I figured it's probably just not good.

I have been playing Astro's Playroom today though with HDR on and it looks perfect. What an amazing game too.
Yeah expect nothing from that one, it's probably only an 8-bit panel.

Top Bottom