• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Neo Blaster

Can anyone already with PS5 answer this?

- Do Netflix/Disney+ apps support Dolby Vision?

- Does the console have a media player? If so, does it support HEVC 4K HDR?

xacto

Random question guys/gals. Do we know if the upgraded Warframe will be ready on launch day?

This is all I could find in that article:

When will Warframe launch on next-gen?
Warframe is launching on PlayStation 5 this year! If you’re a Tenno on Xbox, stay tuned for more information in the near future.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
setting up and installing Demon’s now. Didn’t bother with the stand and just stood it up vertically. I can tell this thing is going to be quiet!

Last edited:

Popup

Another tear down, this time with lots of nice hi-res pictures.

mitchman

Gold Member
PS5 seems to be punching well above its weight class through shear efficiency. Rumors of unified CCX on the CPU, and I wonder how much the cache scrubbers play into this. Not well versed enough to understand.
Pretty sure the cache scrubbers only matters if you use the new API for loading assets on PS5, but that doesn't seem to be the case for AC. Similarly on XSX (which is the version I play right now), DirectStorage does not seem to be used.

mitchman

Gold Member
Btw, since HDR is on at system level, does that mean it's working constantly when loading any and every game, even the SDR ones?
That is my understanding, yes. For SDR games, it will be wrapped in a HDR container (like mandalorian on disney plus, lol). This opens up some auto HDR possibilities in the future for BC, which hopefully isn't so overblown as the AutoHDR on XSX (which can be gastly at times).

I feel like we can’t emphasise enough how much difference fast loading makes. I don’t know if I’m just fully pulled in by the hype but I want to experience some 120hz games, I want to buy a whole bunch of games just to see the next gen experience. This thing is so awesome I am absolutely loving it and it has exceeded my expectations in every way.

i don’t think I can go back to 30fps...

KrisB

Can anyone already with PS5 answer this?

- Do Netflix/Disney+ apps support Dolby Vision?

- Does the console have a media player? If so, does it support HEVC 4K HDR?

Hey mate, I had a look on my ps5 and the Netflix/Disney apps don’t seem to mention it anywhere.

It seems the media player is somewhat baked in from what it looks like. When you go to the media menu, it only shows apps like Netflix, Disney, Stan etc.

Ar¢tos

If I add the games from the plus collection to the library on a PS5 will they show up to download on the ps4? (same account obviously)

xacto

I feel like we can’t emphasise enough how much difference fast loading makes. I don’t know if I’m just fully pulled in by the hype but I want to experience some 120hz games, I want to buy a whole bunch of games just to see the next gen experience. This thing is so awesome I am absolutely loving it and it has exceeded my expectations in every way.

i don’t think I can go back to 30fps...

Wait, in many cases we didn't even get a stable 30FPS experience on PS4, it was all over the place... I agree, 60FPS is so much easier on the eyes.

dano1

A Sheep
Anyone having issues with the front usb not having power to charge the controller when in standby mode. Its set for 3 hours after going into standby but no juice. Works fine if the console is on.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Anyone having issues with the front usb not having power to charge the controller when in standby mode. Its set for 3 hours after going into standby but no juice. Works fine if the console is on.
You need to go into settings, system, power saving and make sure features available in rest mode are put to on.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
What's your current solution for the PSVR breakout box and a 120hz TV. I can't seem to find a proper HDMI 2.1 switch.

Neo Blaster

What's your current solution for the PSVR breakout box and a 120hz TV. I can't seem to find a proper HDMI 2.1 switch.
My solution is to keep two different cables connected to the tv at the same time, one that goes directly to PS5(HDMI 2.1 cable that comes with the console) and another(two actually) passing through the breaker box, exchanging then when I want to use VR. It sucks, but that's what I can do while I can't find a proper switch.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
My solution is to keep two different cables connected to the tv, one that goes directly to PS5(HDMI 2.1 cable that comes with the console) and another(two actually) passing through the breaker box, exchanging then when I want to use VR. It sucks, but that's what I can do while I can't find a proper switch.
Yeah, not a long term solution for sure.

Mr Hyde

Got my accessories today. And the Pulse 3D Headset works with Nintendo Switch 😀 I was always annoyed that the Pro Controller never came with a headphone jack. Well looks like that problem is solved now.

The headphones are very comfortable and looks and sounds so good. Can't wait to try it out on PS5 games.

DrDamn

Got my accessories today. And the Pulse 3D Headset works with Nintendo Switch 😀 I was always annoyed that the Pro Controller never came with a headphone jack. Well looks like that problem is solved now.

The headphones are very comfortable and looks and sounds so good. Can't wait to try it out on PS5 games.

How is it connected to the Switch then?

TrackZ

PS really really needs to get more collection management options. It should keep the same sort and filter options when I leave and come back that I had set. Tile size option for large or small would be nice. Really need to be able to hide or even delete. It's ugly and lame that I have unrunnable PS4 demos in my library that I can't get rid of. Xbox games and apps screen really eats their lunch as well as being able to make game groups and pin those to the main UI.

Also, what does it mean in the PS UI to "follow" a game? A bunch of titles show up as followed for me and I'm not sure why or what that does to unfollow them. I don't recall ever actively following anything.

dano1

A Sheep
You need to go into settings, system, power saving and make sure features available in rest mode are put to on.

Thanks for the response👍🏻
Ive tried both 3 hours and always on but still no power to front usb when in standby..
Have you tried yours?
I even restarted the system after selecting just to make sure that wasn’t the problem.

Zoanoid33

Still can't play Demons Souls for more then a couple minutes before it freezes and shuts off my ps5. Had Ghost of Tsushima freeze twice and boot me back to the home screen. Tried rebuilding database to no avail.

Sony support is pretty awful. The chat tells you to call and when you call they hang up on you. Even their twitter support doesn't respond to me.

Anyone having similar issues? Trying to figure this out since I can't contact Sony.

Tarin02543

Still can't play Demons Souls for more then a couple minutes before it freezes and shuts off my ps5. Had Ghost of Tsushima freeze twice and boot me back to the home screen. Tried rebuilding database to no avail.

Sony support is pretty awful. The chat tells you to call and when you call they hang up on you. Even their twitter support doesn't respond to me.

Anyone having similar issues? Trying to figure this out since I can't contact Sony.

Sorry to hear that. Are you sure the backside of the console has enough space behind it to expel its heat?

Grinchy

Banned

I saw someone on Reddit with a PS5 horror story that involved a lot of waiting on the phone for over an hour only to be hung up on. I really fucking feel for you!

They are probably swamped. You'll get through at some point, but I don't think anyone can help outside of Sony support now.

mr.dilya

Banned

hearing a lot of people are having issues with their ps5s, my friends brother is having a similar issue as you. I got lucky with a PS4 at launch that still works today but typically this is why I never buy launch consoles. Can’t wait to see him tonight so I can rub it in LmAoo.

TJC

Damn hope it's sorted, maybe having Launch a week later here in the UK is a good thing lol. Probably won't be fixed by then though.

Zoanoid33

Sorry to hear that. Are you sure the backside of the console has enough space behind it to expel its heat?
Yeah there is about 4 feet of space behind it. Its not running hot or making wierd noises. I can play Astros Playroom just fine and I have played Tekken 7, DayZ and Gundam BO2 just fine. On Ghost of Tsushima I can play for about 10 minutes before it freezes and boots to home.

Demons Souls freezes within about a minute and shuts off the system. Sad because it's literally the reason I bought this at launch. Really hope it's not a hardware issue.

Tarin02543

Yeah there is about 4 feet of space behind it. Its not running hot or making wierd noises. I can play Astros Playroom just fine and I have played Tekken 7, DayZ and Gundam BO2 just fine. On Ghost of Tsushima I can play for about 10 minutes before it freezes and boots to home.

Demons Souls freezes within about a minute and shuts off the system. Sad because it's literally the reason I bought this at launch. Really hope it's not a hardware issue.

At least I'm happy you can play something. Definitely contact Sony customer service, let us know what they say.

Zoanoid33

At least I'm happy you can play something. Definitely contact Sony customer service, let us know what they say.
Trying. They just give you the run around. Even when PS support on twitter responds they will just tell me to call most likely. I emailed Bluepoint also. Will keep trying to call throughout the day. I will update you when I can.

SCB3

Can anyone confirm with Spiderman Remastered that I can use my older Completed save from PS4 for New Game +? I've not launched the PS4 version for awhile and wondering if my save from the cloud is fine as is

For context I had the disc version of Spiderman and now I've gone digital I sold the disc version so I've not been able to launch the game recently

dcx4610

How has the controller battery life been? That was one of my big problems with the PS4. The Xbox controller lasts forever whereas it felt like just a few hours on the PS4.

Grinchy

Banned
How has the controller battery life been? That was one of my big problems with the PS4. The Xbox controller lasts forever whereas it felt like just a few hours on the PS4.
I wasn't sure if I had ever fully charged it yesterday but I kept plugging it in and was still getting it down to one bar after multi-hour chunks.

It's too early to say, but my mostly baseless guess is that it's not going to last all that much longer than the PS4 controller. I'm hoping that guess is wrong because otherwise I will need my own charging station.

Entroyp

Well, I don’t have accurate numbers but mine survived a whole 7-8 hours yesterday at least, and battery wasn’t depleted when I called it a day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom