• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Zadom

I was moving PS5 into stand below tv when a heard a part rattling around. Felt sudden anguish.
fWOF3hu.jpg

until I realized it’s that stupid lose screw stored in the detachable stand. Phew. Anybody else experienced this.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Astro's Play Room is amazing. It feels like something Nintendo would make to me and it's very cool how it shows off what the system can do.
I didn't expect to like the DualSense so much but it's a clear advantage Sony has over MS this gen imho.

Arrived today. Setup was a breeze. I opted for horizontal position, looks better in my setup.

just installed Godfall (I know, I wasted 70 bucks), Spidey Remastered, Miles, and Demon’s Souls

System is very snappy, very fast.

What to play first? Astro? Demon’s?

I haven’t messed with my external drive yet because I’m paranoid but all my PS4 games are on it and ready to go

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Arrived today. Setup was a breeze. I opted for horizontal position, looks better in my setup.

just installed Godfall (I know, I wasted 70 bucks), Spidey Remastered, Miles, and Demon’s Souls

System is very snappy, very fast.

What to play first? Astro? Demon’s?

I haven’t messed with my external drive yet because I’m paranoid but all my PS4 games are on it and ready to go

Aatros, then Souls, with a setup 3D headset.

Last edited:

Guntherlibby

Neo Member
Has anyone had any luck getting their HDMI 2.0 monitor to work in the 120hz mode in CoD or DMC? No matter what I do, I can't get it to work. Seems like there are a few other people online complaining about this.

The monitor I have is a Dell S2719DGF. It's 1440p, 144hz, HDMI 2.0.

I have "performance" mode selected in the PS5 Game Presets setting. I have tried with both freesync enabled and disabled on the monitor.

I am using the HDMI cable that came with the PS5.

TheKratos

Has anyone had any luck getting their HDMI 2.0 monitor to work in the 120hz mode in CoD or DMC? No matter what I do, I can't get it to work. Seems like there are a few other people online complaining about this.

The monitor I have is a Dell S2719DGF. It's 1440p, 144hz, HDMI 2.0.

I have "performance" mode selected in the PS5 Game Presets setting. I have tried with both freesync enabled and disabled on the monitor.

I am using the HDMI cable that came with the PS5.

Did you put PS5's video output to 1080p? I'm sure the games aren't running 4k120hz but if you put your PS5 on 4k your TV/Monitor will receive a 4k signal and over HDMI 2.0 you'll get max 60fps. I'm no expert but this seems the logic to me.

Guntherlibby

Neo Member
Did you put PS5's video output to 1080p? I'm sure the games aren't running 4k120hz but if you put your PS5 on 4k your TV/Monitor will receive a 4k signal and over HDMI 2.0 you'll get max 60fps. I'm no expert but this seems the logic to me.
Yes, it defaults to 1080p anyways because 1440p isn't supported by PS5.

TheKratos

Yes, it defaults to 1080p anyways because 1440p isn't supported by PS5.

I've been hearing mix messages about that. I know it doesn't have 1440p but some say it doesn't default all the way to 1080p. Just to be sure I would suggest to manually put it to 1080p unless you already did this.

EDIT: Also, this might be a stupid question, but you aren't accidentally playing the PS4 version on PS5 right?

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Just had my first hard crash during spider man. Complete freeze up when fighting the VR guys after getting the first suit

Zoanoid33

At least I'm happy you can play something. Definitely contact Sony customer service, let us know what they say.
Contacted Sony support and they really didn't know what to do. They said to contact the developer of the game. I am getting this error code upon reboot after Demons Souls freezes and crashes the console.
CE-108262-9.
On reddit it seems like a good number of people are having this issue across multiple games, mainly Spiderman. Hopefully Playstation acknowledges this soon.

Imtjnotu

Contacted Sony support and they really didn't know what to do. They said to contact the developer of the game. I am getting this error code upon reboot after Demons Souls freezes and crashes the console.
CE-108262-9.
On reddit it seems like a good number of people are having this issue across multiple games, mainly Spiderman. Hopefully Playstation acknowledges this soon.
Seems to be some dumb ass error. I think the external is ejecting itself causing the issues mid game

Ok guys check this out. Someone help me. I found a really good example of how HDR sucks on my TV.

Here is a shot with HDR turned OFF. Looks pretty nice!

KPF3fy2.jpg

Here is the same place with HDR back on.

qLcWyoE.jpg

Everything in the foreground is just black, and the sunlight becomes this ugly blob. I know this can't be right. No matter what I do to my settings, I can't make it look good though.

Zoanoid33

Seems to be some dumb ass error. I think the external is ejecting itself causing the issues mid game
I have never plugged an external drive into the PS5. This issue seems to be with games using the internal SSD as PS4 games seem to work fine for me. Astros playroom works fine for me so it seems more like a software issue with Demons Souls?
On reddit people are getting this error across multiple PS5 games tho. Its worrisome for sure.

Stooky

Im gaming with arctis wireless pro, the sound and mic quality is greatly improved. Dont know if its the 3d audio or not.

JonkyDonk

Ok guys check this out. Someone help me. I found a really good example of how HDR sucks on my TV.

KPF3fy2.jpg

qLcWyoE.jpg

Everything in the foreground is just black, and the sunlight becomes this ugly blob. I know this can't be right. No matter what I do to my settings, I can't make it look good though.
Is this an SDR game that is getting forced HDR? Apparently some TVs will make it look worse, but others will be better. You may just have to turn if off for games that look bad. HDR is one of those things that has to be correctly implemented from the start, if it's added on top of a game it can sometimes go wrong.

Imtjnotu

I have never plugged an external drive into the PS5. This issue seems to be with games using the internal SSD as PS4 games seem to work fine for me. Astros playroom works fine for me so it seems more like a software issue with Demons Souls?
On reddit people are getting this error across multiple PS5 games tho. Its worrisome for sure.
The Spiderman error happened to me and it said I unplugged the external drive. Makes no sense since the external ssd isn't being used for the ps5 version of Spidey.

Sony hopefully has a quick update for this

Is this an SDR game that is getting forced HDR? Apparently some TVs will make it look worse, but others will be better. You may just have to turn if off for games that look bad. HDR is one of those things that has to be correctly implemented from the start, if it's added on top of a game it can sometimes go wrong.

Nah this is Assassin's Creed Valhalla for PS5. I have the same complaints with Miles Morales. It's definitely some issue with my TV.

Zoanoid33

The Spiderman error happened to me and it said I unplugged the external drive. Makes no sense since the external ssd isn't being used for the ps5 version of Spidey.

Sony hopefully has a quick update for this
I am hoping so. Really hoping it is not a hardware issue. Not too confident it will get fixed that soon though.

Vtecomega

Banned
Anyone having issues with the front usb not having power to charge the controller when in standby mode. Its set for 3 hours after going into standby but no juice. Works fine if the console is on.

Yes. The cable that comes with the ps5 is faulty. I was going to make a thread about it to warn people.

Replace that cable with a 3rd party cable and it works fine.

just to report, I had one crash in game. It’s when I hook my dac to the rear USB. It didn’t work but seems also destabilize the system. After I unplugged the dac, no issue so far. And it’s really quiet.

TLZ

Banned
Anyone having issues with the front usb not having power to charge the controller when in standby mode. Its set for 3 hours after going into standby but no juice. Works fine if the console is on.
Yes. The cable that comes with the ps5 is faulty. I was going to make a thread about it to warn people.

Replace that cable with a 3rd party cable and it works fine.
I had the same issue, but how can it be a faulty cable if it works when the PS5 is on?

So what I did is I turned on "enable turning on PS5 from network" and it worked. Don't ask me why lol. Try it.

jaysius

Banned

KPF3fy2.jpg

qLcWyoE.jpg

Im not sure how to directly help but this is called BLACK CRUSH and it’s caused by the HDR hopefully google can help you with this.

Dude holy fucking shit. It can’t be overstated how Spider-Man feels at 60fps. I was marveling at the fidelity mode, swinging around in the intro, but then I tried performance mode and I don’t think I can go back. I completed two NG+ runs of the game on my Pro and it feels brand new at 60 FPS

holy shit

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I'm having wifi issues on my console. It keeps dropping out. Anyone else having the same issue? Yesterday it also happened on my XSX so it may be my modem but nothing else is having issues...I've currently connected the XSX to LAN.

I'm using a Netgear Orbi.

Anybody have freezes with mlies morales I had two one acually shut my ps5 and when I turned it back on it said repairing something and worked, it scared me ...is my system broken?

Last edited:

lachesis

So.... a remote play experiment.

I set up PS5 remote play thru PS4 Pro. It's capped at 1080p. At least in my home, latency seems to be pretty decent. However, As far as I can tell, there seems to be no way for me to remote play the PS5 via Vita... so I tried out to remote in to PS4 Pro via Vita, and have PS4 Pro remote in PS5.

In short, it didn't work! LOL...

The reason is that 1 remote streaming per account - and since I am using my primary account streaming PS4 Pro to Vita, PS4 Pro wasn't able to connect to PS5. Same thing happened when PS4 connected to PS5, and when I tried to connect Vita to PS4 that's connected to PS5, it didn't work either.

I know there are some ways to work around the user profiles on old PS4 remote play (I think it was to use Dual Shock 4 controller for vita or something/) - maybe that would work...? Even if I manage to bypass that - I'm pretty certain that the delay/latency would be quite something. ;)

THEAP99

Banned
my first day impressions i can't wait to play more but i feel like i have a lot of paranoia when using the console so hopefully they send out stability updates

Just got done my first day of play with the ps5... and it was great! Smooth sailing, absolutely no issues whatsoever as I took preemptive measures when I got it (avoiding using external hardrive, did not put it in rest mode, let it air out and get used to room temp for a little bit before powering on), not gonna go crazy with all that tilll more stability updates rollout. ..

From there, I downloaded Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, and then some PS4 exclusives just see how they are now. I regret to report that TLOU2 has zero enhancements so far. Whoever wrote the article saying that the game supports adaptive triggers is a liar..

Speaking of adaptive triggers, the dualsense is truly the most magical controller I've ever held. It feels great and sturdy in the hand, unlike past PlayStation controllers. The haptics are really satisfying and the adaptive triggers are really cool and I can't wait to see what else can be down with them.
Astros Playroom in particular I played an hour of that and that game really just seems like a love letter to hardcore playstation fans. It's a really sweet game, fun, and I will eventually platinum that.

The PlayStation 5 UI I really enjoy the way it looks. It looks, and feels fresh. Though it's not really complete. Missing a lot of basic features like folders and it needs more shortcuts I think. But when it comes to just generally maneuvering around the UI, especially with the activity cards, it's great. The activity cards I have found to be really useful in Spider-Man Miles Morales. Like it just click on the card and it takes me straight to a challenge in the matter or 1-3 seconds and I complete the challenge and earn the trophy. Ultimately, the UI is really well integrated with first-party games and allows for easy access to certain parts of games. I think it's quite useful and great.

The console itself is quite huge and it was a bit of a hassle putting together the stand and finding a place for it on my desk, but I figured it out.. and the console honestly looks beaitful.

Now sadly the biggest letdown for me is the 3D audio. I don't even know why I got on the hype train for that as this past summer I tried out the Sony PlayStation platinum which had 3D audio features for games on the PS4 and that didn't even sound good. As for 3D audio on the ps5, it honestly sucks just like that and I'd even call it trash. In what world is muffling sound effects considered "better, immersive, high quality" audio. It's absolutely fucking dogshit. I tried each levels all 5 and no matter the levels, the audio still sounded muffled as fuck in my hyper x cloud alphas. I disabled 3D audio as someone suggested for me to do and wow everything became all clear and not muffled as I expected it. Idk, maybe it's a bug or something, but as of right now, 3D audio is dogshit. Like on Miles Morales everything like shooting webs sounds so compressed and muffled it's bullshit.

Anyway, most important part is the games. I am currently alternating through Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, and Astros playroom. They all feel, look, and just generally are great games so far. Really excited to continue Miles Morales as you can tell they put a lot of heart into the story. I also can't wait to continue Demon's Souls as I just beat the first boss which makes me feel great. And then Astros playroom is just fantastic it's like an amusement park. I am thinking about getting sack boy maybe but I will probably wait for a sale. I am swimming in games to play basically this is great!

All in all, my day one experience with the ps5 was quite great. From the dualsense, to the sleekness of the UI, freshness of the games, it's just a fantastic start for me. No jet engine, no issues yet. It seems taking those preemptive measures paid off for now. Hopefully, Sony does roll out some stability updates though because i'd like to use external memory eventually and not have to worry about putting my system in rest mode.. As I said before I am mostly just disappointed about the 3D audio because it's crap, stereo all day, disable 3D audio trust me. Can't wait to continue gaming on this system, it's great!

Zadom

One thing I found odd. I purchased a digital copy of Miles Morales and it downloaded both PS5 and PS4 versions. The PS4 version was like 54 GB and PS5 version was like 35 GB. Pretty big difference in size. So deleted PS4 version and saved space. If you bought it digitally check to see if you also have PS4 version on your system.

THEAP99

Banned
Everything about the PS5 so far just feels like a new generation device. Everything's so damn snappy, games run so well, the controller feels so premium, ect.
yeah the experience is really a step up from the ps4. the ui isn't laggy as f, the console is not annoyingly loud, the controller has actual quality, it's all around a job well done fresh experience so far. let's hope they can get these stability issues worked out soon though for sure as i would like to use external storage

One thing I found odd. I purchased a digital copy of Miles Morales and it downloaded both PS5 and PS4 versions. The PS4 version was like 54 GB and PS5 version was like 35 GB. Pretty big difference in size. So deleted PS4 version and saved space. If you bought it digitally check to see if you also have PS4 version on your system.
I have the disk version and it had both aswell,I wa playing the ps4 version and didn’t know untill I unchecked it and checked the ps5 version.

Lethal01

Dude holy fucking shit. It can’t be overstated how Spider-Man feels at 60fps. I was marveling at the fidelity mode, swinging around in the intro, but then I tried performance mode and I don’t think I can go back. I completed two NG+ runs of the game on my Pro and it feels brand new at 60 FPS

holy shit

I just can't bare having to have my eyes sullied by disgusting last gen reflections anymore. They need a 60fps ray tracing mode quick. 1080p is fine.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I would suspect less LOD related assets in the PS5 version.

Hostile_18

Banned
Has anyone done any PS5 tests to see if PS4 games run much slower off an external NVME/SATA or Mechanical? If the difference is only marginal might pick up one.

Top Bottom