• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Pro Has No Trouble Pushing 120 FPS Gameplay Even Without Optimization and PSSR – Rumor

XXL

During the latest episode of the Moore's Law is Dead Broken Silicon podcast, host Tom confirmed to have been sent footage of a game running on PlayStation 5 Pro from an unnamed developer. This game ran with dynamic resolution averaging 1440p resolution, going as high as 1600p and as low as 1300p, at around 50 FPS, but unlocking the framerate brought the average framerate up to 100 FPS and above, without any sort of PS5 Pro optimization. With more work and the PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution upscaler, the developer felt confident they would have the game running at 1440p, 1600p resolution, and locked 120 FPS, which is definitely impressive for a console. The developer is also gearing to test out 4K@60 FPS resolution, which they feel confident they can achieve.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
host Tom confirmed to have been sent footage of a game running on PlayStation 5 Pro from an unnamed developer.

The unknown game:

16612e81e4e1a569a0a3e3644526a8c31cdb8558.jpg

Last edited:

Bitstream

I am not sure why people keep banging on about cpu - I have a 12th gen intel and whenever I play at over 100fps on 1440 ultrawide, it is always the gpu on 90% and the cpu on 50%. The higher the res, the more likely it is the gpu throttling you rather than the cpu.
DF and PC Folks need something they can look down their nose at to feel a sense of superiority. 8 cores at 3.5 GHz is a ridiculous amount of CPU power, it's just up to devs to properly use all of that power, and some of them don't. Any problems with coding can of course be brute forced with more power, but the fundamental issue is poorly written software, not the hardware itself.

Z O N E

This game ran with dynamic resolution averaging 1440p resolution, going as high as 1600p and as low as 1300p, at around 50 FPS

Okay, cool.

but unlocking the framerate brought the average framerate up to 100 FPS and above, without any sort of PS5 Pro optimization.

Okay and what about the resolution?

With more work and the PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution upscaler, the developer felt confident they would have the game running at 1440p, 1600p resolution, and locked 120 FPS, which is definitely impressive for a console.

So basically, the resolution is below 1080p with 120 FPS.

The developer is also gearing to test out 4K@60 FPS resolution

I have an idea... Why not just make the games 1440p 60 FPS locked? It's always 1080p or 4K with these developers and never 1440p which is an amazing middleground.

Developers these days are allergic to making their games 60 FPS, yet they're trying to say they can potentially get 120 FPS. Yeah, okay.

Well the usually have multiple modes, so it's not surprising at all.

F1 2024 for example has.

8K/60fps
4K/120fps
4K/60fps with RT

GT7 is basically the same.
The fact that there is even a 8K 60fps mode in already 2 titles... People who would say that 2 years ago were mocked.

There are about as many 8K60fps games on PS5 Pro than 30fps capped only games.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Well the usually have multiple modes, so it's not surprising at all.

F1 2024 for example has.

8K/60fps
4K/120fps
4K/60fps with RT

GT7 is basically the same.

I mean, some developers are not the norm. The majority will do the bare minimum.

A lot of the times their quality modes aren't even locked 30 FPS.

Then you have performance mode where sometimes it doesn't stay 60 FPS locked.

It's just frustrating seeing developers barely give 2 shits but then talk about "more power" as if that's going to somehow change their poor optimisation.

FeralEcho

The PS5 also did 8k....

reconstructed....

on 1 indie game .

I mean it could be true and we could see Ragnarok at 120fps but with that weak ass cpu...doubt it.

It will do 120fps no doubt,but on what games? Indie titles?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
When will we be past these kind of useless comments that seem to completely ignore that it’s up to each game, not just the hardware?

DJ12

These “leaks” from MLID go against all the results we have from already tested Pro versions of games.
Yet it's the same developer that clearly gave him the ps5 pro spec sheet he leaked which is known to be the actual document.

He talks a lot of utter shite for sure, but on the pro you cannot really question what he's saying, he's clearly got insider information here, whether we like listening to him or not.

ap_puff

I don't think MLiD has an in with any serious developers, the ones he brings on to interview are all indie devs

Ovech-King

but the cpu is weak...........................how................?
There is a certain threshold where your cpu mhz will limit your fps beside your gpu but I don’t think the frequency on those cores is low enough to be an issue . Most of the games are usually gpu bounded when it comes to the max fps you can achieve with said machine

mansoor1980

There is a certain threshold where your cpu mhz will limit your fps beside your gpu but I don’t think the frequency on those cores is low enough to be an issue . Most of the games are usually gpu bounded when it comes to the max fps you can achieve with said machine
yeah i know , i was just joking

BlackTron

Unnamed game by unnamed developer runs at X performance.

Why don't you just have the system show a gif and report the performance, it would tell me the same thing for less work

clarky

Gold Member
What gameplay is it pushing?

Article, thread title and OP is completely meaningless.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

In GPU limited scenarios, sure

Edit: when I swapped out my GPU with a newer one in my older build, performance drastically went up in most games, because most games are GPU orientated. No shit.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I mean the impressiveness of this would really depend on the game. If it's running a PS5 base version that already has a 120fps/60fps mode then I sorta believe it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sure, so is PS5 and even XSS, I don't think this is news at all, the news would be more details about at what games and settings those games run at 120 fps.

Top Bottom