• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Pro Has No Trouble Pushing 120 FPS Gameplay Even Without Optimization and PSSR – Rumor

digdug2

"a game from an unnamed developer"
Great info, thanks.
You have to realize that these developers are probably still under NDAs... If it gets out which game is pushing these numbers from an unofficial source, they could get into serious shit.

F1 2024 has a 4K/120fps mode.

Just saying....
Owned.
got-em-7.gif

Ceadeus

Gold Member
People will own this system just for few years(2-3 maybe?) and only an handful of title will benefit from it.

PS4 and one mid gen refresh had 4k and 60fps in mind but now, it's only about rtx and slightly better resolution?

This time there are not even couple new releases to showcase the potential. It's just pure greed from Sony and impulse buy from consumers.

People will own this system just for few years(2-3 maybe?) and only an handful of title will benefit from it.

PS4 and one mid gen refresh had 4k and 60fps in mind but now, it's only about rtx and slightly better resolution?

This time there are not even couple new releases to showcase the potential. It's just pure greed from Sony and impulse buy from consumers.
I am still rocking my PS4 slim and it is still getting new games. Are people who buy PS5 pro going to all sell theirs by 2027 or some shit? The cross gen games for PS6 gen will last forever and I do not expect any meaningful gains for that gen. Unless you know the BoM for the PS5 pro, stop with the disingenuous greedy Sony takes.

Last edited:

XXL

This time there are not even couple new releases to showcase the potential.
There are literally 2 games at launch that are 4K 120fps and they aren't indie games.
Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Is every game going to be 120fps? No.

But let's be real here, it's already happening.

The same 2 games (that aren't smaller indie games) have an 8K 60fps mode and 4K 60fps with RT.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I am still rocking my PS4 slim and it is still getting new games. Are people who buy PS5 pro going to all sell theirs by 2027 or some shit? The cross gen games for PS6 gen will last forever and I do not expect any meaningful gains for that gen. Unless you know the BoM for the PS5 pro, stop with the disingenuous greedy Sony takes.
But they ARE greedy! To me, a refresh also brings new ways to play, new things to try, a glimpse of the future.

Rtx and resolution beyond 4k is what you would expect from upgrading your PC, not your console 🧠

Ceadeus

Gold Member
There are literally 2 games at launch that are 4K 120fps and they aren't indie games.
Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Is every game going to be 120fps? No.

But let's be real here, it's already happening.

The same 2 games (that aren't smaller indie games) have an 8K 60fps mode and 4K 60fps with RT.
120 fps is something yeah, it's enough for you to be excited? I mean, ok I respect that but it's not enough to convince me. Like, couple games will showcase 120fps capability then what. Do most people own 120hz tv anyway?

digdug2

But they ARE greedy! To me, a refresh also brings new ways to play, new things to try, a glimpse of the future.

Rtx and resolution beyond 4k is what you would expect from upgrading your PC, not your console 🧠
It's not really all that greedy when you consider that they are throwing a 2TB hard drive into the equation now, and the Pro is punching well above its weight according to these first looks.

Not everyone wants to play on PC yet they would like to have some of the benefits that a higher end PC can offer. That's who it's made for. If you can't wrap your head around that, it's pretty apparent that you're not their target audience.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It's not really all that greedy when you consider that they are throwing a 2TB hard drive into the equation now, and the Pro is punching well above its weight according to these first looks.

Not everyone wants to play on PC yet they would like to have some of the benefits that a higher end PC can offer. That's who it's made for. If you can't wrap your head around that, it's pretty apparent that you're not their target audience.
I'm not the target audience of the PS5 pro no.

2TB is only couple games more before you gotta start erasing again for making space. Well now that I think of it, it's like an iPad pro. It's the better version of the regular thing.

XXL

120 fps is something yeah, it's enough for you to be excited? I mean, ok I respect that but it's not enough to convince me. Like, couple games will showcase 120fps capability then what. Do most people own 120hz tv anyway?
I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

I'm just pointing out what you and a few others in this thread have said is just not true.

Games are already doing this (and beyond what this video states) at launch that are not just smaller titles or indies games.

Again, not every game will be 120fps on PS5 Pro, but to say its not going to happen is just wrong.

XXL

Not in Monster Hunter Wilds lol.
Again not true.

From a developer today at TGS.

-What benefits will you get from playing this game on PS5 Pro?

Tsujimoto
To be honest, we are still in the process of verifying compatibility with PS5 Pro, so we can't say anything definite. We will announce it when we have something to tell you, so please keep us updated

What youre talking about started on Reddit.

Stop spreading fake news. As of right now, it's just not true.

Last edited:

Nex240

Neo Member
Again not true.

From a developer today at TGS.

What youre talking about started on Reddit.

Stop spreading fake news. As of right now, it's just not true.
The IGN footage of it on PS5 was struggling to hit 30fps and the PC reqs are high as hell. This isn't going to be a 120fps game on any platform except maybe 4080/4090 with frame gen if that even counts lol.

Last edited:

XXL

The IGN footage of it on PS5 was struggling to hit 30fps and the PC reqs are high as hell. This isn't going to be a 120fps game on any platform except maybe 4080 with frame gen lol.
I didn't say it's going to be 120fps....

What you're referring to was fake.

Get over it.

Z O N E

I would like to see the receipts for this outlandish claim. Which are these games that aren't locked 30 fps in quality mode on PS5/XSX? Provide atleast 20 examples (you said a lot of).

Warhammer 40K: Space Marines 2
Elden Ring
Rise of the Ronin - Although 30 FPS locked, the game stutters to the point where 30 FPS looks shit in general
Dragon's Dogma 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Hogwarts
Alien Isolation
Days Gone
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
Red Dead Redemption 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Ark Survival Ascended

I could go on but if you think games are coming out optimised, then I have a potion for immortality to sell you.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Warhammer 40K: Space Marines 2
Elden Ring
Rise of the Ronin - Although 30 FPS locked, the game stutters to the point where 30 FPS looks shit in general
Dragon's Dogma 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Hogwarts
Alien Isolation
Days Gone
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
Red Dead Redemption 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Ark Survival Ascended

I could go on but if you think games are coming out optimised, then I have a potion for immortality to sell you.
Of fuck I'm potentially buying it again. I do it to myself.

Breaking Bad Crying GIF

Astray

For me the rtx part is critical. The gaming industry has largely failed to unify the installbases in terms of raytracing capability.

Better more efficient raytracing+hardware-based AI upscaling has been Nvidia's big bet in computer graphics and it seems that everyone will follow, starting with Sony.

Darsxx82

Well the usually have multiple modes, so it's not surprising at all.

F1 2024 for example has.

8K/60fps
4K/120fps
4K/60fps with RT

GT7 is basically the same.
First. There it says 120fps easily without PSSR or optimization. That is, F1 and GT7 would no longer be valid examples of that statement to support that statement.

Second. F1 and GT/ reach those res/fps via PSSR with much lower base resolutions than native 4K (1200p) and for 8k mode it seems that the base resolution doesn't reach native 4K either. It need PSSR.

Therefore, we will have to see which are those games at 60fps that become 120fps (many if it is supposed to be very simple) without PSSR or any optimization. I think It seems more like a concrete case that the author of the article wants to make seem like something that will happen constantly.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
For me the rtx part is critical. The gaming industry has largely failed to unify the installbases in terms of raytracing capability.

Better more efficient raytracing+hardware-based AI upscaling has been Nvidia's big bet in computer graphics and it seems that everyone will follow, starting with Sony.
It's sure to make the games look better. I liked the RTX in Dead Island 2 I think it's my favorite showcase of the tech. Does it make the game more fun and novel? No, but it's pretty.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
You have to realize that these developers are probably still under NDAs... If it gets out which game is pushing these numbers from an unofficial source, they could get into serious shit.
Sure, but that doesn't make those statements any less pointless. You can't talk about something? Then don't talk about it.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Those two games were basically locked on a PS4, let alone PS5.

PS5 runs RDR2 at PS4 Pro setting at rock solid 60fps via hack. Days Gone also runs at 60fps on PS5 with improved settings and LOD.

They literally weren't locked 30 fps.

Also, the topic was about the 30fps mode (quality modes) not 60 fps modes if you check the comment I was replying to.

Zathalus

RE Village was confirmed for 4k120 mode
I’m not disagreeing that the Pro can do 120 modes. But the exact same resolution and settings as the same game on PS5 running at 50fps and without using PSSR? Nah, the Pro is good but not doubling FPS without PSSR good.

Vick

Gold Member
They literally weren't locked 30 fps.
They basically were, running at 30fps 99% of the time qualify as "basically locked". RDR2 on PS4 Pro only dropped a couple of frames in Saint Denis depending on chaos, and I'm not aware of a single drop in Alien: Isolation after playing the living shit out of it.

Also, the topic was about the 30fps mode (quality modes) not 60 fps modes if you check the comment I was replying to.
The topic was about PS5.. read again the post you quoted.

I would like to see the receipts for this outlandish claim. Which are these games that aren't locked 30 fps in quality mode on PS5/XSX? Provide atleast 20 examples (you said a lot of).

Those games you mention are locked 30fps on PS5, and Days Gone only runs at 60fps.

Three

What's all this sprite games, indie games, goldeneye 64, like that one 8k game lol, etc. 120fps was a thing on base PS5

I’m not disagreeing that the Pro can do 120 modes. But the exact same resolution and settings as the same game on PS5 running at 50fps and without using PSSR? Nah, the Pro is good but not doubling FPS without PSSR good.
Not the exact same resolution and not without PSSR:

"but unlocking the framerate brought the average framerate up to 100 FPS and above, without any sort of PS5 Pro optimization. With more work and the PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution upscaler, the developer felt confident they would have the game running at 1440p, 1600p resolution, and locked 120 FPS"

Unlocking the framerate means that they no longer rely on DRS and the resolution is in fact lower than the DRS mode at "up to 100 fps". They say they can hit 120 with more work and PSSR.

Top Bottom