• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

I bought this yesterday and here's a few of my thoughts so far:

-It doesn't seem as fluid and chaotic as Smash can be. Although it's still really fun with friends and computer characters.

-I'd imagine Kratos, Raiden, Ratchet and the soldier from Killzone tend to be the most used characters usually mained by people. I've found these characters to be the ones who generate the most AP in short bursts.

-Even though it's not as frantic, the "kill 'em all as quickly as you can" mentality makes the game fast and fun. I still prefer stock mode over "FFA time-score based". Only downside to that approach is the gameplay seems to slow down and drag on 6 stock matches.

-I wish there were more bells and whistles to this game like Smash tends to have.

-They need to fix barely being able to keep track of your character. Maybe the stages need to be a tad bit smaller?

Overall, I'd say this is a solid first attempt by a studio to start a mascot fighter. I'm expecting a sequel to fix and expand the potential of this game.

Skyzard

Banned
What do you think about PS4's Knack for dlc?

Knack-PS4.jpg

That stomp move in the trailer shown in this gif too.

Lots of possibility..and somewhat of a bonus:

Just saw this post:

Looks like Knack will be joining Iota and Kutaro for the sequel.

I'd quite like that tbh, would help keep it fresh for the future roster-wise. (as dlc of course).

Camjo-Z

If someone wants to use it during a match i know that win is full of crap and they know that win is full of crap. Why would i allow it to bother me to the point of berating a poster who did it one time for fun.

Exactly! Now people who keep doing it repeatedly to raise their belt points in ranked... fuck them.

Also yes, Knack would be awesome for DLC. We haven't even seen hardly any of his gameplay and I can already imagine some pretty creative moves for him involving him breaking apart and changing into different forms.

EDIT: also when did I become a member

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Exactly! Now people who keep doing it repeatedly to raise their belt points in ranked... fuck them.

Also yes, Knack would be awesome for DLC. We haven't even seen hardly any of his gameplay and I can already imagine some pretty creative moves for him involving him breaking apart and changing into different forms.

EDIT: also when did I become a member

How is it any different than rage quitters? You're ruining an entire round and wasting mine and everyone elses time.

Step

if there is a future in PSASBR Iota, Kutaro and Knack must be there, they could easily become the new platform trio.

And hoping for a Scrafty Cup 2 on PS4.

OmegaZero

How is it any different than rage quitters? You're ruining an entire round and wasting mine and everyone elses time.

It really depends on the context though.
I can understand using it once to destroy some teabagging Kratos in a Quick Match, but spamming it repeatedly on Ranked Matches would be disgusting.

I personally think the worst of the worst is the Toro "flying" glitch, since that literally does waste everyone's time in comparison.

Ryce

Minions - http://i.imgur.com/D05s0o4.png

Row 1
  • Veger (Jak and Daxter)
  • Hades (God of War)
  • Zarok (MediEvil)
  • Specter (Ape Escape)
  • Alias (Gravity Rush)
Row 2
  • Preacher (Twisted Metal)
  • Chloe (Uncharted)
  • Azimuth (Ratchet & Clank)
  • Young Drake (Uncharted)
  • Nathan the Koala (Carnival Island)
  • Nevi (Gravity Rush)
Row 3
  • Bakuki (Escape Plan)
  • Mooselini (PaRappa the Rapper)
  • Yunica (Gravity Rush)
  • Torn (Jak and Daxter)
  • Syd (Gravity Rush)
  • Zoni (Ratchet & Clank)
  • Jasmine (Hot Shots Golf)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It really depends on the context though.
I can understand using it once to destroy some teabagging Kratos in a Quick Match, but spamming it repeatedly on Ranked Matches would be disgusting.

I personally think the worst of the worst is the Toro "flying" glitch, since that literally does waste everyone's time in comparison.

It doesn't depend, that's the same exact thing as rage quitting... You may discount it if you want just like a rage quitter... they don't care about whose round they're screwing up. Sorry you don't have ground to stand on. Like I said the only case I really find it acceptable is if the game is in hand it it's done quick to just end it quick, other than that using it because someones teabagging? Sounds like a rage to me. Doing it because somebody's using a cheap character? Rage. Doing it to be a dick? Well that's exactly what you are.

Skyzard

Banned
Some of those aren't half bad, even the minions - is there a new thread, does it need one?

Seems like the put more detail on Drake's crotch than his face though :p

Aceun

Those look dope. I REALLY wish minions did more.

Random aside - I think Jak is a lot more viable since the patch. I can actually play him in timed matches and he generates AP fine.

The Parappa glitch is dumb though.

Ryce

DLC release predictions:

3/12 - costumes & minions
4/9 - characters & stage
5/7 - costumes & minions
6/4 - characters & stage
7/2 - costumes & minions

I dont want Knack, Iota and Kutaro for this game. I hate marketing characters. :p
(jkjk atleast they would be good)

Knack would be cool. Imagine, PS4 character in PS3 game. That sounds weirdly good.

Question about those DLCs. Who made them? Superbot or SSM? If its the latter then its good news for future DLC.(Hopefully :/ )

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I bought this yesterday and here's a few of my thoughts so far:

-It doesn't seem as fluid and chaotic as Smash can be. Although it's still really fun with friends and computer characters.

-I'd imagine Kratos, Raiden, Ratchet and the soldier from Killzone tend to be the most used characters usually mained by people. I've found these characters to be the ones who generate the most AP in short bursts.

-Even though it's not as frantic, the "kill 'em all as quickly as you can" mentality makes the game fast and fun. I still prefer stock mode over "FFA time-score based". Only downside to that approach is the gameplay seems to slow down and drag on 6 stock matches.

-I wish there were more bells and whistles to this game like Smash tends to have.

-They need to fix barely being able to keep track of your character. Maybe the stages need to be a tad bit smaller?

Overall, I'd say this is a solid first attempt by a studio to start a mascot fighter. I'm expecting a sequel to fix and expand the potential of this game.

He stinks, not many people use him. As for losing track, that's something I struggled with a lot at first, but have adapted to over time.

Step

The new costumes look good but idk if the minions are worth, you can pretty much only watch them online with the intros and most of the people skip it(local players should be able to customize with a menu on R2) if only they had a bigger role.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
Im down for knack, kutaro, and tearaway dude.

But the real question is what to do about Infamous Second Son if there were a sequel. replace the current coles (fuck you. bad idea)? I dont want to imagine the meltdowns if PSABR2 had 3 or 4 coles.

I'll get the costumes. They are all pretty good excluding huge bulge drake. I still wish minions focused more on games not represented as characters. I want a demon souls minion damnit! Same thing with stages.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If a 2nd profile could sign in and set up their own Profile information, I'd be much more likely to buy Minions, and I'd even buy a few costumes I wouldn't PERSONALLY use, for my bro to use as we co-op play off the same console. Why is this stuff so HARD to get working for so many devs/pubs this gen? Bleh.

The costumes look pretty cool, and glad to see FattyP totally able to handle the Ninja and Pirate Meme's herself, lol. Will they still not change her troops, though? Would be nice if it did, and more reason to buy.

I'll buy Kat's costume, even though I love going around in Yunica-inspired colors with the Military Outfit, anywho. (Yunica Minion + Military Outfit colors should make a nice combo...) More costumes with Flowy Hair are good for her :)

That's one thing I love about the Costumes in Once Piece: Pirate Musou, that I wish costumes in this game made more common: Not only would those costumes change the outfits, but also any accessories the characters used in various animations. Little details like that would have been very appreciated.

OmegaZero

He stinks, not many people use him. As for losing track, that's something I struggled with a lot at first, but have adapted to over time.

Yeah, there are very few Radecs online nowadays, mainly due to the fact that people know how to deal with the sniper-spamming strategy so most of the scrubs dropped. There are even fewer good Radecs that can play him well at any range.

Tell that to Omega.

Actually, he's mostly right.
While Radec does have some nice tools (flamethrower can catch rolls/hit multiple people and his regular circle attack is criminally underused), he struggles to keep up with the most-played characters online.
He seems like a zoning character, but he only has a few good tools for that and most of them have too much cooldown time to use effectively in comparison to other characters like Sackboy, Emmet, the Coles, or even Jak.
Close range, Radec has his throw combo (which can be wallbounced to an AP burst with appropriate spacing), but everything else is very unsafe. Especially Radec's most-used move in close quarters - forward square on the ground.

Personally, I play Radec defensively (react to opponents instead of making the first move), but stay close to the opponent. When I have to knock them away, I use short-hopped midair pistol shots since they're much safer then the ground version. This strategy has been working out well so far, as I beat a Kratos in a stock match last night (he had 3 lives, I had 1).

tldr - Radec is fairly one-dimensional at close and long ranges. Being good with him in a 1v1 setting relies heavily on out-predicting and out-thinking opponents, especially during high level play. He shines in 2v2 or FFA.

TheMink

Yeah, there are very few Radecs online nowadays, mainly due to the fact that people know how to deal with the sniper-spamming strategy so most of the scrubs dropped. There are even fewer good Radecs that can play him well at any range.

Actually, he's mostly right.
While Radec does have some nice tools (flamethrower can catch rolls/hit multiple people and his regular circle attack is criminally underused), he struggles to keep up with the most-played characters online.
He seems like a zoning character, but he only has a few good tools for that and most of them have too much cooldown time to use effectively in comparison to other characters like Sackboy, Emmet, the Coles, or even Jak.
Close range, Radec has his throw combo (which can be wallbounced to an AP burst with appropriate spacing), but everything else is very unsafe. Especially Radec's most-used move in close quarters - forward square on the ground.

Personally, I play Radec defensively (react to opponents instead of making the first move), but stay close to the opponent. When I have to knock them away, I use short-hopped midair pistol shots since they're much safer then the ground version. This strategy has been working out well so far, as I beat a Kratos in a stock match last night (he had 3 lives, I had 1).

tldr - Radec is fairly one-dimensional at close and long ranges. Being good with him in a 1v1 setting relies heavily on out-predicting and out-thinking opponents, especially during high level play. He shines in 2v2 or FFA.

Yeah for sure, I absolutely love having a Radec in 2v2!!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Really can't wait for the next line of nerfs... still absolutely lost as to why Sackboy got destroyed and the 3 people most complained about got love taps. That being said those 3 IMO are nothing compared to Kat, she is absolutely God Tier.

OmegaZero

Really can't wait for the next line of nerfs... still absolutely lost as to why Sackboy got destroyed and the 3 people most complained about got love taps. That being said those 3 IMO are nothing compared to Kat, she is absolutely God Tier.

I find that Kat is extremely vulnerable to anti-airs. Killing them with Dans level 1 is hilarious.
But yeah, she can AP burst and killconfirm from midair, has an omnidirectional throw and great AP gain.
I'd hate to see what she was initially like when Superbot claimed she was overpowered.

SmithnCo

To be fair, Sackboy was pretty ridiculous before the nerf. Everyone complained about him.

Does anyone believe that Kratos actually would get nerfed? Get real :/

Who dares to say Radec is bad. WHOOO- ok maybe in 1v1s. I find him effective thou. Sure he has spammy style, but he can do good stuff.

As a Sackboy main i must say - Sackboy is still amazing.
Even after all these nerfs i still find him wonderful, varied, effective and fun. Althought Jam nerf was too much. Make it 20 AP.

Also i have grown to HATE Drake now. He has no weaknesses and he is pretty much as bad as Kratos. Barrel-AK47-gunslam is way too fast and effective combo. Not to mention a lot the melee moves are fast ingeneral. And supers are all-around good. And barrel is one of the best moves in game. Even Kratos got actual nerf as in delay after forward-square. Drake didnt get nerfed, his infinite got fixed.

Kat also has too good AP gain. Fortunately i dont find her that cheap. But minor nerfs wouldnt hurt.

My big wish thou is removing Evil Coles kill-confirm. Its stupidest of all.

Other wishes are nerfing Raiden's fast AP gain and kill confirms, and buffing Jak's and Sir Dan's AP gain.

And yes these nerf/buff posts are entirely necessery. How else would developers know to do them?

SmithnCo

Not quite. A lot of people were throwing Sackboy and finding ways around cakes/pads. The nerf was excessive.

Not for FFA where it became a Sackboy-fest. Throwing only gets you so far when he's all over the place and gained AP fast as hell.

The nerf was a tad excessive but he absolutely needed a nerf ASAP at that point.

Not for FFA where it became a Sackboy-fest. Throwing only gets you so far when he's all over the place and gained AP fast as hell.

The nerf was a tad excessive but he absolutely needed a nerf ASAP at that point.

Agreed. To recap, Sackboy's level 3 AP cost was 600.

Yes.
Best lv 3 super had one of the lowest AP requirements. How did that pass.

But they over nerfed Jam. Remember previews? "He attacks from far. He doesnt like close up combat." So why would one of essential moves be made useless? Come oooooon. Only cake is now good long range move. You dont see them nerf Radec do you?
(And no Radec is fine aswell no nerfs for him.)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not quite. A lot of people were throwing Sackboy and finding ways around cakes/pads. The nerf was excessive.

I don't think it was excessive it's just that everyone else has complained about the others so why not attack them?

To be fair, Sackboy was pretty ridiculous before the nerf. Everyone complained about him.

And everyone has complained about the big 3. They're not on the level sackboy was, but they're still a cut above by quite a bit.

Does anyone believe that Kratos actually would get nerfed? Get real :/

Who dares to say Radec is bad. WHOOO- ok maybe in 1v1s. I find him effective thou. Sure he has spammy style, but he can do good stuff.

As a Sackboy main i must say - Sackboy is still amazing.
Even after all these nerfs i still find him wonderful, varied, effective and fun. Althought Jam nerf was too much. Make it 20 AP.

Also i have grown to HATE Drake now. He has no weaknesses and he is pretty much as bad as Kratos. Barrel-AK47-gunslam is way too fast and effective combo. Not to mention a lot the melee moves are fast ingeneral. And supers are all-around good. And barrel is one of the best moves in game. Even Kratos got actual nerf as in delay after forward-square. Drake didnt get nerfed, his infinite got fixed.

Kat also has too good AP gain. Fortunately i dont find her that cheap. But minor nerfs wouldnt hurt.

My big wish thou is removing Evil Coles kill-confirm. Its stupidest of all.

Other wishes are nerfing Raiden's fast AP gain and kill confirms, and buffing Jak's and Sir Dan's AP gain.

And yes these nerf/buff posts are entirely necessery. How else would developers know to do them?

Kratos WILL be nerfed. I don't hate versing him, because his supers are relatively weak, but used properly he's almost unpunishable. He's blazing fast, he's got a counter, he can turn around mid attack so dodge and punish is not viable, and his AP gain is RIDICULOUS.

Drake is the most OP of the original 3. His barrel is massive and there's really no proper way around it. If you jump he's got the grenades, if you dodge roll he's running backwards with the ak, can't really be blocked either. His AP gain is through the roof, his lvl 1 is incredible, his lvl 2 is alright, and his lvl 3 is god tier. Disgustingly overpowered and painfully easy character to learn with only a handful of moves.

Raiden is still OP by virtue of his supers. His lvl 1 is the best in the game as is his lvl 2. He has a million different 150 combos and he can start them in multiple different ways. He can hit confirm from the ground, from the air, mid combo, and anytime you're knocked down he can stand over you for a confirm.

as for Kat she can grab from the ground and air with MASSIVE range, can hit confirm her level 1 from ground, grab, and air, has top notch lvl 1 and 2, and her lvl 3 again is God tier. Her combos are also difficult to interrupt because of how varied they are, and on top of this her hitboxes along with emmets are slightly broken. I main Parappa and his square to down square don't work on her or emmet at normal speed.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think I need to play with Non-Kat for a while. Playing her, and playing against others who play her... she's a force, but nothing as annoying as Drake / Kratos / Raiden / Sly / Cole of your Choice.

Her dives from the air leave her open (as does gravity pull), combos stick her in place, and all confirms require a pre-setup which should rarely be available on her, if the opponent keeps tabs on her. Summon chairs don't break as much as they could VS some characters, but that's because lots of people rarely use "smash" moves, instead trying to start combos with lighter hits.

A team that sticks together at round start hurts Kat a lot; It can be hard for her to start an offense this way, and even with her speed, it takes some time to get back in, and the quickest options are less safe, and come at ranges where anti-airs work wonders. 2nd grav-attract characters randomly drop out of her combos, leaving them in the perfect position to Air-tech, and smash her away.

At mid game, a team that stays apart weaken's Kat; Almost anyone can score a kill on her, after she lands her lvl 1, and her lvl 2 sucks VS distanced opponents.

Late game, most other characters have a lot more "passive" ways to gain AP than she does. If you block / stay out of range of her combo-starters, she's not going to be able to AP burst anyone. Unlike a Drake Barrel, Ratchet Crawlers, or Dan's Axe / Mead / Fire combo, She won't be gaining AP while being smacked across the screen, or be able to spam "luck hits" while trying to get that last AP for a game-changer lvl 3.

And in the last seconds of the round, her LvL 1 and 2 supers are pretty choreographed; The lvl 2 is a decent "hail mary" in itself, but in no way should you ever get more than 2 kills with it, so it's not going to make up for a storm of Raiden 2's, Sackboy 3s, Or even well-placed Drake 1's.

I dislike Jak's Red-Bubble explosion more than most of Kat's aerial options, due to it's 360 nature, ability to call it out whenever you want, guard breaking, Wide range, and harder-to punish recovery speed + distance.

Kat is really good, sure, but I don't think I'd label her "goddess tier". I think she highlights how poorly rounded some characters are in the game, rather than comes off as being vastly overpowered. I'd rather see characters brought up / nerfed to her level, rather than see her weakened, which sounds bias, but I seriouly mean it.

I don't think it was excessive it's just that everyone else has complained about the others so why not attack them?

And everyone has complained about the big 3. They're not on the level sackboy was, but they're still a cut above by quite a bit.

Kratos WILL be nerfed. I don't hate versing him, because his supers are relatively weak, but used properly he's almost unpunishable. He's blazing fast, he's got a counter, he can turn around mid attack so dodge and punish is not viable, and his AP gain is RIDICULOUS.

Drake is the most OP of the original 3. His barrel is massive and there's really no proper way around it. If you jump he's got the grenades, if you dodge roll he's running backwards with the ak, can't really be blocked either. His AP gain is through the roof, his lvl 1 is incredible, his lvl 2 is alright, and his lvl 3 is god tier. Disgustingly overpowered and painfully easy character to learn with only a handful of moves.

Raiden is still OP by virtue of his supers. His lvl 1 is the best in the game as is his lvl 2. He has a million different 150 combos and he can start them in multiple different ways. He can hit confirm from the ground, from the air, mid combo, and anytime you're knocked down he can stand over you for a confirm.

as for Kat she can grab from the ground and air with MASSIVE range, can hit confirm her level 1 from ground, grab, and air, has top notch lvl 1 and 2, and her lvl 3 again is God tier. Her combos are also difficult to interrupt because of how varied they are, and on top of this her hitboxes along with emmets are slightly broken. I main Parappa and his square to down square don't work on her or emmet at normal speed.

Oh nooooo! You are one of those who think Kratoses supers are bad! I feel sorry for you. But seriously, Kratoses supers are faaaaaaaaaaaaaar from bad and far from average. They are good.

Not much else to say except we are almost beating dead horse here.

Nerf Kratos, Raiden Drake and Kat. Boom. I wish they would do that.

On other note, I thought original Top Trio was Kratos, Raiden and Sly? Drake only got problematic later on.

Zen

Banned
Raiden is so predictable that I don't really consider him one of the elite OP characters, but remove another one of his confirms anyway. Drake is just an annoying piss-ant though, anyone who plays him should feel badly about themselves.

Radec isn't even bad 1v1s. He's a really good character if you're thinking ahead and zoning, he has so many good moves for dealing with characters up close, and his grenade drop is fantastic for interrupting supers and combo chains when they charge you.

Even good Radecs (of which I might kind of be one to be fair) don't appreciate hit triangle machine gun burst enough. It's fantastic for interrupting whatever your opponent might be doing. Only use forward square when you know it's safe, and that counts for the hop shotgun as well. Aside from that, flame thrower, triangle, roll, grab, grenade drop.

Camjo-Z

Raiden is so predictable that I don't really consider him one of the elite OP characters, but remove another one of his confirms anyway.

Of course he's predictable. But the problem is, if he lands even ONE hit on you then you're toast since pretty much everything he has can confirm into Level 1 somehow. Considering his AP gain isn't too shabby and his supers are some of the best in his game, they just need to get rid of all his hit confims. He doesn't need them anyways.

Oh nooooo! You are one of those who think Kratoses supers are bad! I feel sorry for you. But seriously, Kratoses supers are faaaaaaaaaaaaaar from bad and far from average. They are good.

On other note, I thought original Top Trio was Kratos, Raiden and Sly? Drake only got problematic later on.

Kratos' supers aren't bad, but they're fairly balanced. His Level 1 is pretty predictable, his Level 2 requires you to get people in a group for multiple kills, and his Level 3 isn't impossible to dodge if you can fake out the player using it. What breaks him is how fast he gets those supers and how easy it is for him to get multiple people into a Level 2 kill with his long chain range and rebounds.

Also, I'm noticing a severe lack of calls for Sly nerfs... do you guys think he's balanced or are you just forgetting to mention him?

Step

Also, I'm noticing a severe lack of calls for Sly nerfs... do you guys think he's balanced or are you just forgetting to mention him?

The only 2 complaints I have with him are the way his counter works and his unstoppable lv 1

EDIT: I almost forget, his teleport should work like Spike's(more start up) or Spike's should be faster.

Aceun

Raiden is predictable, but the minute you screw up you're dead. I am actually okay with most of his hit confirms. They got rid of his grab confirm which was arguably the most devastating.

What they really should nerf is his counter confirm though. No reason why a counter should allow a super.

I think Sly's counter should also have some cooldown.

Since we're on the topic, increase the cooldown for Nate's slide and put some delay after Kratos' full combo.

Not sure what I'd do for the Coles to be honest.

Camjo-Z

Not sure what I'd do for the Coles to be honest.

Good Cole:

- Neutral square melee combo is always a knockdown (aka no random bullshit 90 AP combo, Drake also has this ability and it needs to be removed)

Evil Cole:

- Giga Punch sends opponents flying no matter what, takes longer to charge up
- Up triangle rockets are less spammable

Both Coles:

- Level 1 only connects with opponents if they're on the ground
- Electric grenades are less spammable

I'd also tweak Fat Princess. She's really good but far too reliant on hit confirms into Level 1 due to her Level 2 being a worse version of PaRappa's skateboard and her Level 3 being the worst Level 3 in the game. Nerfing her hit confirms but improving her other supers would go a long way towards making her more even with the other characters.

Aceun

I think having the Coles level 1 be grounded can go a long way, but may severely gimp the character.

Evil Cole's giga punch is blockable, so I am kind of ok with it. I think the charge should be interruptable. So while he's charging, if he gets hit, he should start over.

Fatty P definitely needs less confirms, a slightly better level 2 and a MUCH better level 3. Seriously, I've never seen something so pathetic.

Top Bottom