• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The 1 Million sales figure sends a mixed signal, doesn't it?

Enough that it profited, but low enough to "damage" future investment in the idea?

Well, I guess Sony was hoping that they would get same amount of sales as Melee or Brawl did. It didn't even reach the goal that Sony expected it to be.

Delsin because Troy Baker.

I also wouldn't mind Aiden since it would be cool if his entire moveset revolved around hacking things without once directly attacking the opponent, plus I love his cap 'n' coat combo.

Sora has a decent chance as well since Kingdom Hearts is finally back to being a PlayStation exclusive (and a dang good-looking one if I do say so myself).

It would be pretty hilarious if they dared to bring 3rd inFamous character.

If I remember correctly Sora is owned by either Disney or SquareEnix. Yeaaaaaah.... Chance from getting anything from those two is probably less than getting Crash. Remember, it took 2 years to get FF costumes to LBP >_>

....And no random marketing characters thank you.

I want a 3D brawler next with proper UI, budget, marketing, everything.

3D? Yuck. I say stick with the SSB format but just completely rip off the percentage system. Keep the supers as a means to do big damage, but make them harder to get. Ax some of the lesser known characters as well as the ones that don't fit.

That would be the perfect game.

3D? Yuck. I say stick with the SSB format but just completely rip off the percentage system. Keep the supers as a means to do big damage, but make them harder to get. Ax some of the lesser known characters as well as the ones that don't fit.

That would be the perfect game.

Why just percentage? Just throw everything in!

We can keep "All-Star move" mode where only supers kill, but we could easily add more.

Life mode, where we have certain amount of AP for health, and where supers only do somewhat damage instead of instant kills.

Capture the flag mode..... Somehow.

And King of the Hill, where you need to keep everyone away and remain in area the most as possible.

If I were developer I would make a poll and ask people serious question. Do they really want "Smash" mode? It would be so freaking obvious, but if its sth that people would want they should add it aswell for an option.

And because I cant get enough of chatting about this game, I'll analyze character choices of this game. Ho ho hoo!

CHARACTERS THAT ARE GOOD AND SHOULD NOT BE DISSED AND IF SOMEONE DISSES THATS JUST NITPICKING:

Kratos
PaRappa
Sweet Tooth
Radec
Sly
Drake
Cole
Ratchet&Clank
Jak&Daxter
Heihachi
Nariko
Sackboy
Sir Daniel
Spike
Toro
Kat

CHARACTERS THAT HAD PROBLEMATIC INTODUCTION BUT COULD WORK IF THEY ARE SERIOUSLY FIXED

Fat Princess:
Hey Superbot & SSM, SHE IS NOT BIG ENOUGH. YOU DONT SEE JIGGLYPUFF ON COVER OF SMASH GAMES..... Just put her on sidelines and she is fine. Unlike this game where is in the fking cover... >_>

Evil Cole:
For the love of god. When designing menu, make Good Cole & Evil Cole share the same menu icon. BUT! You shouldnt be able to change between them ingame. They are different enough. They can keep their own stories etc, but make them share same menu icon. AND ACKNOWLIDGE THAT THEY ARE SAME CHARACTERS. Trust me on this...

Big Daddy:
Guilty pleasure of mine. If Smash had Snake, why cant All Stars have sth as weird as Big Daddy? And Big Daddy is one of the few marketing gimmicks that almost works. BD isnt as marketing character as New!Dante or Isaac. Also he really fits to be the tank of the game. It would also help to keep BD if you get "the legendary 4 obvious 3rd party characters".

Raiden:
I'll sum up Raiden's all problems in one word: SNAKE. Raiden is cool and all but he is not SNAKE. Get Snake, and you can keep Raiden. Keep just Raiden? And that would be just sad...

Zeus:
Antagonist of one of biggest PlayStation IP's? Sounds good. Only problem? HE IS THE ONLY 2nd REP(besides cheap slot Evil Cole). For sequel add Dr.Nefarious & Specter aswell as some other 2nd reps, and then we can tolerate Zeus.

CHARACTERS THAT CAN GET AXED. AND SCREW IT, THEY WILL NEVER BE TRUE VETERANS

New!Dante ( My personal nickname :p)
Worst possible marketing character ever? Very unlikeable character. And NO, IT IS NOT JUST AN APPEREANCE THING. This Dante has all new moves, story, minion that DO NOT refer old DMC at all(expect one or two icons which is just sad). He is not Original Dante. He is the New!Dante (2013). Get him out of here. And character that represents future, isnt good if its a BAD FUTURE.

Emmett
Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaa.... Who asked for Emmett? NO ONE. Literally, I've seen old character request threads. Barely any if no one at all asked for Emmett. As for his gameplay style?.... No good. Remember Radec? People say he is just spam character. In reality Emmett takes the title of that. I see people in some places atleast trying to get comboes for Radec. But for Emmett? LOL nope. All good Emmett's just throw grenades & MAW blasts. Its just sad. Emmett might just be scrapping from barrel. In a bad way...

Isaac
Yeaaaaaaah... No... Not enough Playstation related or good enough as IP. Just not important. I guess he is best EA character? But that raises question. Do we need EA character?

And there we go. Any opinions anyone would like to add?

Camjo-Z

PSAS is one of the few fighting games I've seen where I can actually say they all seem like decent choices (except the sole clone, Evil Cole. Just work him and Good Cole into one character). The worst ones I would say are those who are blatantly included for advertising purposes aka Big Daddy, Raiden, Zeus, Isaac, and Dante, but even then they are all pretty unique.

Still wish they hadn't been afraid to go with a few more nostalgia picks though, the only ones that really fit the bill were PaRappa and Sir Dan (and I guess Spike since pretty much none of his games after Ape Escape got released in America).

I agree, nostalgia characters would have been helpful.

And I still want Dante out... heck, I dont want original Dante that much either. :p

But if there wouldnt be New!Dante in this game.... Who would have been Nariko's rival? I cant think of anyone. :s

So for sequel, go for story mode and ignore arcade mode with rivals.

beat

And because I cant get enough of chatting about this game, I'll analyze character choices of this game. Ho ho hoo!

CHARACTERS THAT HAD PROBLEMATIC INTODUCTION BUT COULD WORK IF THEY ARE SERIOUSLY FIXED

[...]

Zeus:
Antagonist of one of biggest PlayStation IP's? Sounds good. Only problem? HE IS THE ONLY ONE. For sequel add Dr.Nefarious & Specter aswell as some other 2nd reps, and then we can tolerate Zeus.
Aren't Radec and [to some extent] Heihachi antagonists? (Heihachi only as far as any playable character in a fighting game can be, of course.) But definitely Radec's not on the 'good guys' side of Killzone.

Aren't Radec and [to some extent] Heihachi antagonists? (Heihachi only as far as any playable character in a fighting game can be, of course.) But definitely Radec's not on the 'good guys' side of Killzone.

. . . Oops. I meant that Zeus is one of the only few 2nd reps, and I just suggested to add more 2nd reps. Antagonists in this case.

Radec is villain ofc. He just slipped from my mind since he isnt 2nd rep. . . :p

Aceun

So for sequel, go for story mode and ignore arcade mode with rivals.

I don't see why they can't have both. A story mode for people who want to see more fleshed out interactions and then the standard arcade mode which features a series of "laddered" events culminating in a rival stage and final boss.

It would also be nice to see some nice extra modes like the fat princess tutorial where she ran around alden's tower getting cake. Could be cool if that was in there for everyone, like Nate finding treasure or Ratchet collecting bolts.

Randomly, I was thinking the other day about the Michael commercial. Wouldn't it be fun to have a "bar mode" where you select your character and you have different dialogue trees based on who happens into the bar that day. So random, but Nate hitting on Lightning is so gold.

Gosh a sequel could be so good!!!

Sure, we can keep arcade mode. Just throw everything and the kitchensink. Honesty that should fix some of the problems.

Im just saying that creating rivals could be hard. ESPECIALLY if we cant get those 4 characters.

Im one of those who say: "New!Dante, GTFO". So now, who would be Nariko's rival?
And need we to say Isaac vs Zeus is bit farfetched.

Althou the rivalry that takes the cake on stupidy is Fat P vs EvilCole. They have hunger for sth and relate with colors of red & blue? My god, you could make anyone rival with anyone with those standards...

Oh, and I had this idea for menus, as they are terrible or what not. How about characters playing their own games? Like solo or multiplayer in same room. That could be neat.

Elaborate please :)

Best explanation I could dig:

JdvnV.png

This as background but with everyone's games and some characters playing multiplayer. It could use footage from original games aswell for some easter egg fun.

kai3345

Banned
So is anyone else not able to go online with this game? A buddy and I tried to hop into some online matches last night and we kept getting a message saying "You need to be signed in to PSN to play online" despite the fact that we were very clearly signed in. We were even able to play other games online like LittleBigPlanet, but no matter how many times we tried, All Stars would never work.

Nope. Online worked fine. I have gotten plenty of matches.

So the season is about to end. They better deliver those titles.

I want my Golden God Title. :(

Skyzard

Banned
So is anyone else not able to go online with this game? A buddy and I tried to hop into some online matches last night and we kept getting a message saying "You need to be signed in to PSN to play online" despite the fact that we were very clearly signed in. We were even able to play other games online like LittleBigPlanet, but no matter how many times we tried, All Stars would never work.

A trick is to start party chat on the Vita - you don't have to be with anyone, but just be in a party. Connections work better.

Otherwise try opening these ports specifically on TCP/UDP in your router's port forwarding. 3478-3480 on the IP address stated in the Vita settings app (under network, network status).

Not sure otherwise.

Step

Man that makes me so sad, the game have so many wasted oportunities and I'm not even talking about Crash, Spyro or Cloud.

I wish they reboot the IP with a faster gameplay and smaller stages, that's one of the things I dislike a lot, stages are so big that most of the time is just getting thrown to the other side and run where the action is at.

Concept17

Just started playing this last night with a friend of mine. We went a health 1-10 in quick match.

We're so bad. Some characters are just difficult as shit, namely Kratos. It took us until the end of the night to figure out how to properly dodge and block.

KalBalboa

Banned
There have been three pretty popular/successful Dead Space games, not to mention Extraction. I was glad to have a survival horror rep.

There have been three pretty popular/successful Dead Space games, not to mention Extraction. I was glad to have a survival horror rep.

I give some of the characters in the game a pass. But, if we're doing DLC it's just frustrating that we got a character that nobody requested and for good reason. I just don't think he belongs in a game called PlayStation All-Stars.
But I guess I'm wrong haha. And cheers to those that did want him or were super pleased with him. Must have been a sweet surprise.

The most disappointing thing to me I think is that this game might discourage developers from making more "brawler" type games. I wish there were more!

Not just GAF community... I mean the entire PS All-Stars community.

I figured. I'm just hesitant to believe a kickstarter would motivate a studio like SSM to do anything when they're probably very busy on other, real big money, projects.
Nothing against them, I just can't convince myself enough money could be raised for it to make good business sense.

I figured. I'm just hesitant to believe a kickstarter would motivate a studio like SSM to do anything when they're probably very busy on other, real big money, projects.
Nothing against them, I just can't convince myself enough money could be raised for it to make good business sense.

Its not like it could hurt. You gotta believe!........... Bleh

PS All-Stars community is turning pretty depressing. :S

KalBalboa

Banned
Its not like it could hurt. You gotta believe!........... Bleh

PS All-Stars community is turning pretty depressing. :S

It'll be a year-old soon and new console hype is starting to butt in, plus there have been so many PS3 exclusives that've come or are coming to dethrone it.

It had its day in the sun with me, and I still play the trials on occasion when on the train.

Evilisk

CHARACTERS THAT ARE GOOD AND SHOULD NOT BE DISSED AND IF SOMEONE DISSES THATS JUST NITPICKING:

Kratos
PaRappa
Sweet Tooth
Radec
Sly
Drake
Cole
Ratchet&Clank
Jak&Daxter
Heihachi
Nariko
Sackboy
Sir Daniel
Spike
Toro
Kat

Fat Princess:
Hey Superbot & SSM, SHE IS NOT BIG ENOUGH. YOU DONT SEE JIGGLYPUFF ON COVER OF SMASH GAMES..... Just put her on sidelines and she is fine. Unlike this game where is in the fking cover... >_>

Evil Cole:
For the love of god. When designing menu, make Good Cole & Evil Cole share the same menu icon. BUT! You shouldnt be able to change between them ingame. They are different enough. They can keep their own stories etc, but make them share same menu icon. AND ACKNOWLIDGE THAT THEY ARE SAME CHARACTERS. Trust me on this...

Big Daddy:
Guilty pleasure of mine. If Smash had Snake, why cant All Stars have sth as weird as Big Daddy? And Big Daddy is one of the few marketing gimmicks that almost works. BD isnt as marketing character as New!Dante or Isaac. Also he really fits to be the tank of the game. It would also help to keep BD if you get "the legendary 4 obvious 3rd party characters".

Raiden:
I'll sum up Raiden's all problems in one word: SNAKE. Raiden is cool and all but he is not SNAKE. Get Snake, and you can keep Raiden. Keep just Raiden? And that would be just sad...

Zeus:
Antagonist of one of biggest PlayStation IP's? Sounds good. Only problem? HE IS THE ONLY 2nd REP(besides cheap slot Evil Cole). For sequel add Dr.Nefarious & Specter aswell as some other 2nd reps, and then we can tolerate Zeus.

CHARACTERS THAT CAN GET AXED. AND SCREW IT, THEY WILL NEVER BE TRUE VETERANS

New!Dante ( My personal nickname :p)
Worst possible marketing character ever? Very unlikeable character. And NO, IT IS NOT JUST AN APPEREANCE THING. This Dante has all new moves, story, minion that DO NOT refer old DMC at all(expect one or two icons which is just sad). He is not Original Dante. He is the New!Dante (2013). Get him out of here. And character that represents future, isnt good if its a BAD FUTURE.

Emmett
Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaa.... Who asked for Emmett? NO ONE. Literally, I've seen old character request threads. Barely any if no one at all asked for Emmett. As for his gameplay style?.... No good. Remember Radec? People say he is just spam character. In reality Emmett takes the title of that. I see people in some places atleast trying to get comboes for Radec. But for Emmett? LOL nope. All good Emmett's just throw grenades & MAW blasts. Its just sad. Emmett might just be scrapping from barrel. In a bad way...

Isaac
Yeaaaaaaah... No... Not enough Playstation related or good enough as IP. Just not important. I guess he is best EA character? But that raises question. Do we need EA character?

And there we go. Any opinions anyone would like to add?

My thoughts:

Big Daddy can go and his moveset can go to Tiger Shark from Invizimals. Seriously they're pretty interchangeable; mascots/most "iconic" in their series, heavyweight type characters and water themed. Same thing with Fat Princess, she's there only as a PSN rep (and I'm sure there are others we can choose) and her moveset (basically just summons) could just go to someone else.

Zeus can GTFO. Ares would be a way better pick because he's pretty damn unique (how many depictions of Ares include crab claws and flaming beards?), because we can make Giant Enemy Crab Jokes and because if you're going to pick a villain from God of War, pick one that makes Kratos look less douche-y in comparison.

Emmet however can and should stay if purely because he's one of the more unique characters. His moveset isn't very interchangeable at all with many other characters, and he's a space cowboy and, seriously speaking, he doubles as a Warhawk/Starhawk rep and in terms of PS3 history Warhawk, Starhawk and Lightbox deserve something.

Isaac, Dante and Raiden I wouldn't mind but I also wouldn't miss their inclusions. I definitely think removing at least Dante to get rid of some of the stigma this game has would be a good idea and with Dead Space being killed off by EA Isaac probably wouldn't come back even if I wanted it.

As for Evil Cole, I'm okay with his inclusion as long as he is not the ONLY secondary rep. I don't see why everyone says they could Zelda/Sheik it; that works since we know they're both the same character but only Good Cole is canon out of the two and besides that, Cole doesn't change between Good and Evil skillsets in battle so it honestly doesn't make much sense.

Skyzard

Banned
I met a pretty great Emmett in 2v2 yesterday or the day before.

I bought two of the other costume packs (took a while to figure out which were copies of the pre-order stuff btw, too sneaky imo) and I'm just trying out Fat Princess's pirate costume.

You know the bopping. When you press down really fast. Hers is brilliant, her belly pops out. And when you do it really quick it's hilarious. That might happen with her normally, too, I haven't played her for ages and much at all. Also the fast ducking is awesome :)

Also Isaac's taunt with the big red sports fan finger that he uses to imitate a gun and you hear popping sounds ... that's class. Top notch work there.

Evilisk

I thought I might bring this to everyone's attention since no one seems to be talking about a whole lot.

Now the story is, some guy posted on a 4chan thread about trouble in PSASBR's development. I know 4chan isn't a reliable source of info, the original thread is dead and this is just an abridged version someone typed before the thread disappeared making it super suspicious. But I figured it would bring some interesting discussion here since it would be very scummy if true.

(Also I have been going through this according to all available public info... and there is nothing that immediately disproves this; everything fits fairly well. If you want to see what I'm talking about, here's a thread with a timeline I'm currently compiling: http://www.playstationallstarsarena.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1749#p40358)

I saw this on the 4chan all-stars thread. Not sure how much of it is true, but if it is...... Damn........

I think Superbot did great with the cards they were dealt but ultimately Sony fucked them really hard.

>Work for 3 years on a 3D Battle Arena type game
>Sony comes in and tells them you have a year to turn this into Smash Brothers, no extension
>Gives them a budget for a PSN Downloadable title, but "markets" it as a full release. (This is how it made it's budget back and hit expectations despite underperforming)
>Market it shittily (At least those people got fired)
>Fuck them over on 3rd party contracts by voiding them almost intentionally, losing an unconfirmed amount of 3rd party characters who were supposed to be in (Snake? Crash?)
>Fumito Ueda doesn't want his characters leaving his canvas, but is willing to allow a one time thing. Wander gets cut because Sony decides they'd rather use this chance to make Ico and SotC LBP skins.
>Superbot plans to support the game with a 2 year plan of DLC, characters being free for 2 weeks and stages being shareable
>Zeus and Isaac are not supposed to be even close to the last characters, perhaps getting underwhelming ones out of the way earlier.
>Abe, Lady Sortiara, Dart, an Assasin's Creed character, a Persona character and more are lined up or in negotiations
>Sony gives SuperBot the boot, invalidated contracts and approvals for characters not already released, SSM takes over and removes free period from Zeus & Isaac
>SSM states they'll totally support the game with future DLC.
>SSM months later states no DLC.

At least SuperBot is still working on something. Shame Sony decided they wanted to completely fuck over them and the consumers.

"Source" http://www.playstationallstarsarena.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1740&start=10#p40204

Which exactly?
>Work for 3 years on a 3D Battle Arena type game
>Sony comes in and tells them you have a year to turn this into Smash Brothers, no extension
Sounds very non Sony to me and I very much doubt Superbot would be ok with this. Also the pitch video we have seen and cocepts ect.

>Fumito Ueda doesn't want his characters leaving his canvas, but is willing to allow a one time thing. Wander gets cut because Sony decides they'd rather use this chance to make Ico and SotC LBP skins.
This sounds just silly. I can imagine Ueda being like ''costumes in a cute game? Cool''. Not ''lol you can choose ANY game where u want to use dem but can choose only ONE! Did I mention you own these characters lol?''

Also I do not believe every character was supposed to be free for 2 weeks. I think it makes sense for the first few to be so for early adopters and somewhat smallish roster at launch.

Top Bottom