• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Evilisk

I can agree with the last point.

But the others? Looking back on the Title Fight video, it looks pretty crappy if it's supposed to be 3 years worth of work, in all honesty. What makes the 3D bit legible to me though was that there was that rumour a while back of a PSASBR MMO. I could easily see, if it's true, taking advantage of all those unused arena shooter assets.

And while yeah Ueda reacting like that may sound ridiculous but I know artsy types that have been pretty protective of less.

Regardless, I'd really like to see what theMink and his source think of this.

Remember that 3rd party exclusive special CGI trailer that was cancelled - rumour? Which turned out to be bogus? So yeah, I think that post is quite exaggerated

I dont even wanna think about how much it cost to get New!Dante...

;_;

Also why is Raiden still bad character? MGS2 memories? Not Snake? Commercial character?

Skyzard

Banned
Which exactly?

Also:

>Gives them a budget for a PSN Downloadable title, but "markets" it as a full release. (This is how it made it's budget back and hit expectations despite underperforming)

IIRC it was the opposite, having sold over a million, not enough for a sequel.

Evilisk

Also:

>Gives them a budget for a PSN Downloadable title, but "markets" it as a full release. (This is how it made it's budget back and hit expectations despite underperforming)

IIRC it was the opposite, having sold over a million, not enough for a sequel.

I think that the "market at full release line" might be referring specifically to the price of the game (at least, at launch). Like for example, the launch PS3 in places like Australia apparently did well because of how overpriced it was (even if it didn't sell particularly well).

Also while yeah PSASBR didn't sell well enough for a sequel he said it still did "quite well", and that technically fits the point of making its budget back but still underperforming.

Honestly the more I think about this, the less stupid this whole thing seems (at least compared to at first). None of the points make this seem out like outright BS when you look more closely.

The whole changing into Sony Smash can be explained by that PSASBR MMO rumour from a while back (MMO was worked on but wouldn't fit on PS3, might be workable for PS4) and also the Vita (Gravity Rush was initially a PS3 title, so something similar could have happened here with PSASBR)

Also that leaked list of planned characters can be explained in some way.
-Persona character = Atlus employee joked about Teddy for PSASBR, and they listened to the Oddworld Dev's request for Abe in the end didn't they?
-An Assassin rep was talked about by Paul Gale and his info I think, was simply outdated rather than just straight up lie
-Also Sortiara from Soul Sacrifice is a recent character [and we all know about this game's marketing influence] and they could have gotten her during negotiations with SCEJ for Dart.

If this really is just fake, then this is pretty elaborate and well thought out. The only weird point is the Zeus and Isaac = free. That just doesn't make sense because the Zeus and Isaac DLC being timed with Ascension's release seems too well planned.

Nev

Banned
Hey guys! I've been reading you since the PS-All Stars discussion thread last year, and have been reading this OT regularly since, so I decided to first post here, because it is basically the reason I discovered this great site.

The main reason I registered (I was somehow ok with only reading the site, though it will be cool to be able to post, tbh) is I wanted to know what the PASBR-gaf guys think about wether or not having a health mode would've been a good idea for this game and it if should be implemented (if there's a sequel, having it implemented in the current game is highly unlikely, unfortunately). I made a post in the official forums where I explained how it could work and made two cheap images in paint to help me exemplify. Here's the link: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/bd-p/24861

I don't think this can be considered spam or something along these lines, but it really isn't my intention, I just think it is more appropiate than pasting the entire thread here.

And about the game, I still play sometimes (mainly on the Vita), but I generally get frustrated about these easy bursters Kratos/Kat/Raiden and them hitconfirms and I stop playing. I main Cole (Sweet Tooth when not forced to win) and I think there is really no OP characters outside these three I mentioned. Cole himself could use some nerfs, but I don't think he's really that OP. The level 3 buff was unnecessary, and he could have less level 1 hitconfirms, but really, you can't compare him to things like Raiden.

Well that's it, I hope you guys can tell me your opinion about that health mode that imo would've made the game much better.

All of the Dart and Abe hype had me invite some friends over and fire up All-Stars for the first time in a while. We had so much fun.
It's a shame this game didn't catch on more than it did. I noticed after jumping back in tonight how superb the fighting is, and how well polished the combat system and most of the balancing is. What stood out though, and led to discussion among us tonight, was the awful UI. I was never impressed with it before but being months removed and seeing it again was very jarring. I feel like the title could have performed better if a bit more attention was focused on the interface and if presentation had been on the level with gameplay.
This discussion led us to ponder the future of the title. Given what Shu said on Podcast Beyond at E3 and the recent reveal that we could have had top notch DLC, I fear whether we might get another. I think if a team could lock down more characters like Abe and Dart, as well as other highly requested first party characters, and a more rounded roster was combined with better presentation, we could have an excellent title.
With a new shift toward Playstation 4 occurring, we were all drooling at the idea of a fully polished All-Stars sequel launching on PS4. I spent most of last year counting down the days until release and reading the GAF threads before I was a member, and I really love this game. Hopefully one day, we can get more.

Camjo-Z

Hey guys! I've been reading you since the PS-All Stars discussion thread last year, and have been reading this OT regularly since, so I decided to first post here, because it is basically the reason I discovered this great site.

Always good to have someone new aboard!

The main reason I registered (I was somehow ok with only reading the site, though it will be cool to be able to post, tbh) is I wanted to know what the PASBR-gaf guys think about wether or not having a health mode would've been a good idea for this game and it if should be implemented (if there's a sequel, having it implemented in the current game is highly unlikely, unfortunately). I made a post in the official forums where I explained how it could work and made two cheap images in paint to help me exemplify.

I think your link is a little off, it just took me to the main forum. I assume this is what you meant to link to. But to respond to your idea... I don't think it would work very well, with the game as it is now anyways. They'd have to change the entire combat system to the point where it wouldn't even resemble PSAS anymore, since guys like Kratos or Kat who can knock you all around the screen without a problem would be even more broken than they already are since they don't even need to worry about landing supers to get kills.

And about the game, I still play sometimes (mainly on the Vita), but I generally get frustrated about these easy bursters Kratos/Kat/Raiden and them hitconfirms and I stop playing. I main Cole (Sweet Tooth when not forced to win) and I think there is really no OP characters outside these three I mentioned. Cole himself could use some nerfs, but I don't think he's really that OP. The level 3 buff was unnecessary, and he could have less level 1 hitconfirms, but really, you can't compare him to things like Raiden.

Fight an Isaac or Sly that really knows what he's doing and I think you'll be adding two other characters to your OP list...

Yea, as a guy w/ a bunch of friends at SSM, that's completely hopeless.

Are they even working on PSAS anymore? From what I can tell they're just hoping everyone forgets about it and plays GoW: Ascension multiplayer instead.

Are there other games like this/Smash bros? Why are there so few? Any coming up?
Help me gaf!

You know, besides Smash and All Stars, only Digimon Rumble Arenas seem to be only decent ones.

"Brawler" games are rare and most of them have been considered less than decent. Thou I have little knowledge on this, so if Im wrong please correct me,

And no, Power Stone is 3D arena fighter if someone asks.

Aceun

I think your link is a little off, it just took me to the main forum. I assume this is what you meant to link to. But to respond to your idea... I don't think it would work very well, with the game as it is now anyways. They'd have to change the entire combat system to the point where it wouldn't even resemble PSAS anymore, since guys like Kratos or Kat who can knock you all around the screen without a problem would be even more broken than they already are since they don't even need to worry about landing supers to get kills.

I agree with this. I think a health system tacked onto this current structure would not benefit the game. Characters who already have an advantage would get even more of one.

I think health opens up more defensive strategies, but it could be more of an improvement to think about mechanics that deal with a) creating a sense of impact on the moves and b) promoting a variety of play styles, including defensive ones. I think those are the biggest criticisms of the supers based fighting structure.

Without resorting to traditional answers for these questions, I think a sequel has the potential to come up with solutions that actually move the fighting/brawler genre forward. Heck, we might even be the ones to come up with it.

Evilisk

Are there other games like this/Smash bros? Why are there so few? Any coming up?
Help me gaf!

You know, besides Smash and All Stars, only Digimon
Rumble Arenas seem to be only decent ones.

"Brawler" games are rare and most of them have been considered less than decent. Thou I have little knowledge on this, so if Im wrong please correct me,

And no, Power Stone is 3D arena fighter if someone asks.

As far as other brawlers/mascot fighters go it just seems to be an unpopular genre overall sans Smash's success.

From the top of my head there is:
-The Cartoon Network SSB ripoff that is a legitimately terrible game. Has a decent cast with most of the popular CN characters though has a surprising lack of Finn and Jake from Adventure Time

-The TMNT Smash Up game that... Actually I can't remember how it plays despite renting that for Wii once. I just remember it being terrible, being based on the TMNT movie and it being very very clunky

-There are a few others I haven't played myself such as Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic (available PSN only) and I think this Viewtiful Joe multiplayer game (I'm not sure on this thogh).

-Lastly there is Jump Super Stars/Ultimate Stars for DS. Besides the fact it's for DS and it's Japan only, it is actually a very fun game that has a lot of iconic Jump series like DBZ, One Piece, Naruto, Jojo, Yugioh, Gintama, Reborn, Saint Seiya, Bleach etc.

It's a fairly interesting game that allows four players at screen on once and has this system that allows you to have multiple characters you can switch out, MVC1 style assists, specific buffs/nerfs or even special versions of characters depending on your loadout. Plays like a traditional fighting game but with ringouts as an option.

That's about it to be honest. I suppose if we were to count 3D games too, the only ones I can think of are Powerstone and Kung Fu Chaos for the original XBox. Decent party game that is very very broken if you try to take it seriously. System is health + ring outs + insta kill supers.

Vashetti

Banned
So the PS3 version is currently £13 on Game and my hand is hovering over the buy button.

Is this game likely to show up on PS Plus?

I want it as I love the majority of the Sony franchises, but I can hold on if it will appear as a Plus title.

SmithnCo

-There are a few others I haven't played myself such as Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic (available PSN only) and I think this Viewtiful Joe multiplayer game (I'm not sure on this thogh).

I got Rag Doll Kung Fu for free and I regret it. I did like Jump Stars though. Sad there aren't much actually great games in this genre.

Camjo-Z

I found a new game to play on the PSAS site today: check the character's movesets and see what they nerfed/removed! Here are just a few I have seen:

- PaRappa's Level 1 description suggests he originally did a short forward kick before using the upward kick, similar to how Emmett's Shotgun Level 1 functions.

- Spike was originally able to use his Level 1 to either swing his net or fire it forward like a projectile (this is the only entry that's been fixed, I read it quite some time ago).

- Spike has an entry for "Sky Flier Triple Jump" revealing that he WAS supposed to able to use it for more than just a glide.

- Zeus' Triumph of Olympus (forward circle) originally not only gave him AP for absorbing projectiles, but also gave him a full charge for his next move without needing to hold the button.

- Zeus' Power of Zeus (down circle) also originally gave him a full charge for his next move (why they removed this is beyond me since the move now serves literally no purpose aside from slightly annoying opponents directly above you).

- Zeus' Thunderous Echo (neutral circle) no longer has different effects depending on whether you activate it in the air or on the ground. If you did it on the ground, the clone would perform the "Olympian Smash" (a move that doesn't exist in his moveset, maybe a mispelling of the Olympian Strike?), and if you did it in the air the clone would use Aerial Divine Low Thunder (down triangle). Again, I don't see why this move got nerfed since the clone is now pretty much useless as its only use now is to crumple opponents, which can be done better and faster using his teleport.

- Not removed or nerfed, but the site neglects to mention that Ratchet's Lightning Ravager (up square) and PaRappa's Whack! (neutral triangle) can be used to reflect projectiles.

There could be more, so I'll check again later.

Is this game likely to show up on PS Plus?

I want it as I love the majority of the Sony franchises, but I can hold on if it will appear as a Plus title.

I doubt it will show up on Plus, I don't think they've ever given away any first-party retail PS3 games outside of the usual IGC games that stick around all year and Starhawk (and even then they only gave away the single-player campaign).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617806

Sigh. Here we go again. Instead of legitimate criticisms, I predict we're gonna get super biased and asshole-ish comments. Pretty shitty the way the OP worded it too, talk about inflammatory.

Yeah a lot of people that hate on the game haven't even played much of it. That irks me. All I know is that PSAS is probably never coming off my Vita. Unless we get a sequel...
Don't crush my dreams
Random thought: I think the stage design in this game is, objectively, really good. They are varied and interesting and I don't really dislike any of them.

I think I figured it out why they would bother to buff raiden in that la(st)test patch.

Raiden has many easy KCs right? So maybe they thought that allowing to combo from down throw would create more strategies for him. Instead they accidently gave him a new KC. Ooops. This is probably what happened.

And yeah I think level design is good. Althought for some reason Sandover Villager is worst stage ingame. I cant put my finger on why exactly it is the worst.... But it just feels like the worst.

Nev

Banned
Fight an Isaac or Sly that really knows what he's doing and I think you'll be adding two other characters to your OP list...

Well Sly is actually not easy to play now, as opposed to the previous Slys who just smashed forward triangle and counter-spammed their way to the most broken level 1 in the game. I don't think he's that overpowered anymore, maybe best tier but not broken tier like Kat, Kratos and Raiden.

As for Isaac, I've not played many of them, but all they did was either spam the loop thing and the mines or the shoot+move stuff. Supers seem balanced to me.

Camjo-Z

Well Sly is actually not easy to play now, as opposed to the previous Slys who just smashed forward triangle and counter-spammed their way to the most broken level 1 in the game. I don't think he's that overpowered anymore, maybe best tier but not broken tier like Kat, Kratos and Raiden.

As for Isaac, I've not played many of them, but all they did was either spam the loop thing and the mines or the shoot+move stuff. Supers seem balanced to me.

Sly is mostly overpowered now because of his counter and teleport, which allow him to get out of a lot of things that most other characters would have a problem with. You do have to be very good with him though, so he's not quite annoying as Isaac, who's cheap at any skill level. His Supers are average, but that doesn't matter when he has that mine. It's got ridiculous range, gives Isaac an easy opportunity to camp, and literally stops most opponents in their tracks. Even the mighty Raiden stands no chance when Isaac has that mine in front of him.

So I bit last night and bought this for £13.

Will be joining you all online soon :p

Sweet!

Aceun

Is it me, or have Raiden's become slightly more annoying than usual?

I realize I have an extreme bias towards Raidens and Kratos in matches. If they are in the game, I almost always go after them.

Which usually means I get trounced by the Spikes and Narikos of the world.

Coles scare me so where possible, I just don't fight them. Mainly Good Cole scares me.

Also !@#$ Time Station lol

Hey GAF I just got the PS Vita version of PSASBR, and was wondering how do I get into an online match without inviting a friend to the game? Am i missing something, or is there really no online matchmaking?

Camjo-Z

Hey GAF I just got the PS Vita version of PSASBR, and was wondering how do I get into an online match without inviting a friend to the game? Am i missing something, or is there really no online matchmaking?

IIRC for online matches you just go to Tournament from the menu and pick ranked or unranked. You can play FFA in both modes and to play 2v2 in ranked you have to invite a friend, but in unranked you can play 2v2 with randoms. If you wanna 1v1 you have to invite a friend in Versus mode though.

Aceun

Is Kat really that good? Maybe I just haven't played a great one yet but I feel like you mostly know what's coming.

Kat is obnoxious if you don't know how to navigate her. I find she's not too annoying though, because you can usually read what she's going to do via her approach.

If you get caught with the first hit though, you'll need to sit through a really lengthy combo. Honestly, she's not the bad though because all her supers are fairly hit or miss.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617806

Sigh. Here we go again. Instead of legitimate criticisms, I predict we're gonna get super biased and asshole-ish comments. Pretty shitty the way the OP worded it too, talk about inflammatory.

I know. That thread is ridiculous. Like we really need another negative All-stars thread... it's not like it sold amazingly well and there are hordes of supporters for it. Aren't we passed that?

Camjo-Z

Kat is obnoxious if you don't know how to navigate her. I find she's not too annoying though, because you can usually read what she's going to do via her approach.

If you get caught with the first hit though, you'll need to sit through a really lengthy combo. Honestly, she's not the bad though because all her supers are fairly hit or miss.

if by "her supers are fairly hit or miss" you mean "she has fairly easy hit confirms for her level 1 AND 2" then yes

:(

lol

I'm wondering when SSM will finally get fed up and just send out a Tweet that says "he isn't getting made fuck off #NotReleasingDart"

So after all of this, was the Dart model real?

They haven't denied it so I'm sure it was.

Aceun

if by "her supers are fairly hit or miss" you mean "she has fairly easy hit confirms for her level 1 AND 2" then yes

:(

lol

I don't know. Having a confirm on her level 2 is only really useful in 1v1. Otherwise, it just doesn't have as much multi-kill potential as a lot of the other level 2s.

And if you can avoid getting caught in the ground, her level 1 confirms aren't too bad. They're easy to do, but also very easy to see coming and deal with.

Aceun

So I've been thinking through a game enhancing mechanic that could bolster the current AP strategy, while addressing the "impact" issue, add in a few additional layers and maintain the integrity of the supers meta game.

Thinking through this, I didn't want to just add a health meter. Doing this would shatter the meta game. Additionally, I wanted to make sure that whatever this feature was, it was simple but would also open up several gameplay opportunities/strategies.

The BP System

As you accrue AP, your goal is to minimize the depletion of your BP. Your meter goes down as you take damage, but depleting your meter does not result in death. Upon hitting zero on the meter, you are instantly stunned for 5 seconds as your meter gradually recovers. Dying and respawning restores the meter.

Fragile State and Deniers – When your BP meter is at 25% or lower you enter a fragile state. In this state, you can create a one time instant shield (up for half a second or the length of a cutscene) by pressing L2. This negates one hit of any super.

New Hit Confirm System – At 25% BP or lower, certain moves result in new fall states. If a character has a move that ejects an opponent, at 25% that move will now cause crumple creating an easier state for hit confirms. Outside of this, there will be no hit confirms in this new model.

EDIT: Adding this video, because it's friggin epic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJwEKjpDrk

SykoTech

Anyone up for a quick game? Been awhile since I touched this, but I kinda wanted to give it another shot. That and I still need that Friendly Competition trophy. :p

PSN: SykoTech

Ran rp

Is this the same redsox guy from the PSASBR betas?

k-bigpic.jpg

How is it possible that SSM is possible for so many of the mistakes of this game? What they said sounds like that they will only keep online working. They wont bother with patches or DLC that already EXISTS.

If the laughable idea of sequel coming true happens, dont let SSM help with it. Just dont.

...Oh, and they have apparently buried other games as well? Which games?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Fat Princess, Twisted Metal 2012, and Starhawk all stopped receiving support shortly after being handed off to Sony Santa Monica.

Fat Princess, Twisted Metal 2012, and Starhawk all stopped receiving support shortly after being handed off to Sony Santa Monica.

SSM is really becoming my most hated Sony developer.

They selfishly overfeed their baby and wont even notice the need of others. Ruining 4 games online community is pretty damn depressing.

They have only done one game besides GoW. Only now they have been working on something else. But I'm almost willing to bet they will announce more GoW rather than that new IP....

Camjo-Z

Well... we can't say we didn't see this coming when Superbot got the boot. I had hoped they would put out another balance patch or at least the costumes they already have finished, but even that is too much of a strain it seems. Even worse is that GOW: Ascension multiplayer, while kind of fun but not even close to PSAS, is still getting buttloads of new stuff added to the game all the time.

And it still astounds me that they expected better DLC sales from two sets of characters that were either given away for free or as pack-in bonuses.

Evilisk

And it still astounds me that they expected better DLC sales from two sets of characters that were either given away for free or as pack-in bonuses.

This. This gets all my rage. No shit, you're not going to make money on characters when you give them away for free.

Also I am so disappointed in how this turned out. They could have released those costumes they already finished but nope. I can't believe I defended them on other boards saying, "they ARE working on their own first multiplayer game, just give them some time" when they can't even release costumes that are already done. I'm pretty soured on SSM anything right now and while I was okay with them before I'm pretty apathetic now.

I wish they'd at least given this game until it went free on PS+ to see whether to drop this game or not. Who knows, the community might have gotten a second lease on life with the free aspect, and it could have made up some money with DLC (it would also have been better than judging DLC success from two pairs of characters that were practically given away). Anyway, RIP Playstation All Stars 2012 - 2013 (the only thing sadder than is that most of the other PSASBR communities, especially the dedicated forums, probably aren't going to last the year).

I wish they'd at least given this game until it went free on PS+ to see whether to drop this game or not. Who knows, the community might have gotten a second lease on life with the free aspect, and it could have made up some money with DLC (it would also have been better than judging DLC success from two pairs of characters that were practically given away).

Hahahahaha, seriously thou this is unfortunately bad idea.

Ok, give the game away from PS+ so that more people play it ergo there is a chance that more people buy DLC. Question. What will they buy?

Useless minions? One or Two stages? Definately not Zeus or Isaac.

Current DLC of this game is not good enough to warranty f2p(ish) model.

There is still hope that current sales of this game and DLC will actually be profitable far in future, but releasing DLC then would be too late.... :/

Top Bottom