• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation and Apple joining forces, if true what could the mean for Playstation as a business in the future?

ZoukGalaxy

A disaster.

FBGRA2M.png

And stupid people to follow the disaster

I’m not sure what I think of that… Should I mock myself? Should I embrace the madness? Should I commit myself? All I know for sure is that I no longer have to pick the damn thing up and carry it outside like a barbarian. Now I can roll it, and dammit I can roll it in style.

The truth is that they’re absolutely worth $400, I’m glad I didn’t pay $500, and $700 is just insulting. I mean, only a sucker would pay $700 for wheels!
Source

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm trying to keep my hopes down, but that would be so dope. ARM doesn't necessarily mean macOS though. The Snapdragon X Elite type systems are the likely target, though much of their work to bring it to macOS would be done then.
Yeah it just makes the Mac option much more possible in the future.

Sorcerer

So in another two years Apple will be like and here's one more PC port to mac, Horizon Zero Dawn

This slow trickle of 1-2 big PC games each year being ported to mac late is not how they're going to break into gaming. I wish they'd just take a pile of cash and park it by Valve for a Proton layer for mac for Steam that made PC gaming on Mac "Just Work"
Apple has Game Porting Toolkit, also Apple has given Codeweavers access to it for Crossover.
I find the rumors of a Sony collab a little strange unless they have thrown all this initiative in the garbage, which is certainly possible with Apple.
Also, Valve from what I understand would have brought Proton to Mac, but Apple is incredibly difficult to work with. I bet Sony will give up on Apple as well.

Last edited:

sainraja

Never heard about this youtube channel before. Did they ever leaked something or are just another random channel mading up stuff or spreading random annonymous 4chan posts?

In any case, we know Sony is working on PC games and for the near future mobile games, so obviously must be talking with Apple and Google to feature their games there and publish some of their games there, which in some cases may be ports and in most cases they will be dedicated mobile games. Sony may ask them for help in their marketing effort, plus maybe may ask for some money to help porting them. Nothing rare, busines as usual when a big publisher is making mobile games.
Apple has worked out something with Capcom to get them to release the Resident Evil games and with Sony's push to PC, Apple/Sony might be working on getting PS games on the mac. That would be my guess.

MrMephistoX

Never heard about this youtube channel before. Did they ever leaked something or are just another random channel mading up stuff or spreading random annonymous 4chan posts?

In any case, we know Sony is working on PC games and for the near future mobile games, so obviously must be talking with Apple and Google to feature their games there and publish some of their games there, which in some cases may be ports and in most cases they will be dedicated mobile games. Sony may ask them for help in their marketing effort, plus maybe may ask for some money to help porting them. Nothing rare, busines as usual when a big publisher is making mobile games.
Exactly there’s no evidence and no fact checking just pure click bait speculation.

Sony is sorta hemorrhaging, their greatest source of stable income used to be discs, its the reason why they pushed for umd’s with the psp… they lost the race against samsung on their tv and monitor market, Red beat them for the most part in the high end camera market, and their presence in the smartphone market has always been weak. All they have is games, movies, and music. Its profitable but highly volatile.
Alliance in what exactly?

Sony hardware teams are Best in business, what does Apple brings to the table exactly?
capital, money above all else. Ur right about sony having a good hardware team but there has been problems with their markets with the exception of consoles and headphones. Also this is with regards to if we see further collaboration between the two companies.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
A disaster.

FBGRA2M.png

And stupid people to follow the disaster

Source

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF
First question, is this a real product? Second questions, if in fact this ridiculous item is real, does what it goes on weigh like a 100 or 200 pounds, like a two man lift type thing?

I’m not understanding why you would need wheels on a PC?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I am simply expecting native PS5 game ports to the mac/iPad OS/IOS. I wouldn't mind that personally.

maybe. I guess if their gaming update works out the way they say it does and porting is simple then i could see that.

otherwise maye some sort of native remote play thing for portal or something like that, i am not sure what Sony have released for make so far.

My guess… is as other rumors have said. Sony is considering porting OLDER titles to Switch 2, pc, etc. I assume Apple is part of this.

I could easily see ps3/ps2/ps1/psp/ and some ps4 games being ported to Switch 2. Pc, and Apple.

I personally think we will start seeing trilogies released or bundle packs of older titles next gen. For example. Maybe we get a Rachet and Clank 3 game collection. OR Sly Cooper.

I also think there is a lot of opportunity for games like MotorStorm, Twisted Metal, Syphon Filter, Uncharted to all come back. The original God of War trilogy also seems likely.

I'm trying to think of what means SIE and Apple would benefit from a gaming alliance. Mobile is a very obvious area: SIE could leverage iOS and Apple Arcade for mobile spinoffs of popular & legacy IP, a lot perhaps potentially exclusive to iOS & Apple Arcade in the mobile space, or providing iOS/Apple Arcade members free perks (and/or additional perks if they also have PS+). Perhaps some merged Apple Arcade & PS+ package for mobile and console owners.

Beyond that I'm guessing there would be benefits for PS Studios getting live-action film & TV productions for certain games, and Apple getting content perks for Apple+. IF Apple have any ambitions of doing serious game development in the AA and/or AAA space, partnering with SIE could give them a wealth of talent, expertise, and resources to work with and together they could forge ahead with new IP.

It gets more curious when looking at other areas, though. Now, Apple are always the first up for TSMC's most advanced node processes, and that probably also gets them favorable pricing due to volume of orders. A partnership with SIE where Apple absorbs costs for system manufacture in exchange for handling distribution in, say, America and Europe, might not actually be so bad an arrangement. It doesn't mean SIE suddenly are using Apple silicon in PS systems, or switch to Intel: they'd still get AMD and still use x86-64 (and maybe ARM depending on what AMD has). But with this type of arrangement, I guess SIE & AMD would design the chip, then SIE puts in the orders with Apple through to TSMC. The two decide splits, with Sony paying for what systems they'll distribute and Apple paying for what systems they'll distribute. Then the two go to assembling their respective stock and selling them in the territories they'll handle.

I think an arrangement like that could actually work for all parties involved. Of course there's still matter of who gets the cuts from B2P & MTX sales, but I think that could be handled pretty well. For 3P, I think in any markets where Apple PlayStation (man it is weird typing that) are sold, Apple & SIE should split cuts on B2P & MTX sales, but in territories where Sony PlayStations are sold, SIE keeps the 30% cut or at least retains majority cut. To balance that out, Apple port some of their apps to PlayStation with access tied to PS+ subscriptions, and Apple get a small portion from the sub tiers with that content plus get to retain 100% MTX revenue.

Meanwhile SIE & Apple integrate some PS+ & PSN features into Apple Arcade and Apple+ so Apple users can cloud stream PS games (if they have PS+ they can stream those through Apple Arcade or Apple+). Meanwhile maybe take a generation gently porting SIE games to macOS and/or iOS (in a much more sensible way vs. what they've currently been doing, i.e don't port big traditional AAA 1P games until maybe 2-3 years to macOS, 4-6 years to Windows (and in many cases, just don't port to Windows at all while having longer gaps for macOS ports depending on the title), 4-6 years or later to iOS), help cultivate 3P game presence to macOS along the way. Then post-PS6 basically switch to Apple silicon, macOS & iOS fully for future dedicated gaming hardware SIE/Sony and/or Apple may choose to make as desired (such as PS7).

If they want it to be a partnership that's really synergized up & down the pipeline, I think something like this could be feasible. But, depends how true any of this rumor even is :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom