• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th [Will Be Livestreamed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

plainr_

Does anyone else think that we'll get stuck with an OS in a similar style to the Vita's?

I love my Vita but the OS is aesthetically poor in comparison to a lot of other devices on the market. I really hope that a different team will be doing the PS4 dashboard or that they'll stick with an evolution of the cross media bar.

No way is the Vita's UI carrying over to the PS4. Vita's OS has been designed primarily around touch input. As for the bubbles, it is a result of Sony's shitty attempt at adding their own flavor over traditional iPhone like icons.

Deadstar

I highly doubt we'll see anything close to Vita's OS for the PS4. That OS is catered for a handheld, and looks a little cheap.

I think the PS4's new OS will be an evolution of the XMB.

I hope so. The XMB was fast and functional. Some of the options menu stuff could be improved but finding a game was very easy.

Anyone expecting a software blowout is going to be disappointed, I think. This is not the proper avenue for Sony to blow their load. I'm sure they'll show some games, but do not expect anything remotely on the level of an E3 conference.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Much of the issues with the Vita OS for are a result of the multitasking and battery management. I really hope they don't go further down the iOS rabbit hole and instead focus on standardizing invites, party systems, etc.

Agreed. I'm actually really interested in the OS and integrated services/systems now as well. It'll be interesting how much of that they are going to show. I'd imagine that the system software would still be in an early stage of completion at best.

No way is the Vita's UI carrying over to the PS4. Vita's OS has been designed primarily around touch input. As for the bubbles, it is a result of Sony's shitty attempt at adding their own flavor over traditional iPhone like icons.

My reason for thinking of this originally was due to the inclusion of the touch interface on the DS4. It could perceivably be used to interact with the UI in a similar way to the Vita's. Hopefully you're right.

DemonNite

quoted for size...

ibqqEv9TG6kusY.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Today and half of tomorrow are going to be slowwwwwwwwwwww.
Thank fuck I've got Rising to tear into after work today.

I'm also at the point where I don't want anything to leak from the event. It's so close at this point I'd rather just be surprised. I feel like I have realistic expectations (not expecting Versus or TLG or anything like that) and I'm looking forward to seeing it. It's been too long since we've had an exciting console reveal.

Jonm1010

Banned
Anyone expecting a software blowout is going to be disappointed, I think. This is not the proper avenue for Sony to blow their load. I'm sure they'll show some games, but do not expect anything remotely on the level of an E3 conference.
I feel that at a minimum they have to do enough to pre-empt Microsoft's announcement which I assume will follow shortly in a few weeks or months?

Plus as another poster pointed out, Sony has the entire gaming world zoomed in on them right now. They have the floor completely to themselves and don't have to share the stage with anyone like they will at E3. They'd be stupid not to take full advantage of it.

I think it's certainly a balancing act for Sony because they need to show enough to build momentum and buzz up to and through Microsoft's reveal but not reveal enough that they have nothing new and awe inducing for E3 to continue that hype and momentum until launch.

Russell

Hey guys, remember the "bit wars" from the late-eighties / early-nineties? For example, the Nintendo Entertainment System was 8-bit, the Super NES was 16-bit, and so on and so forth.

I can't believe tomorrow will be the unveiling of the first 512-bit system. Very exciting times indeed.

Takuya

Banned
Kaz needs to walk on stage tomorrow and be like:

"Wow, I'm so overwhelmed by how many people we've got here today!

Oh wait... I see we even have the Pope in attendance with us this evening!

*munch on a Doritos chip*

...the Doritos Pope!"

Trevelyon

A spoiler free thread would be pretty impossible guys. You should just have your stream loaded up and pause it. I would stay off gaf though

Uh, why? I bookmark or homepage the spoiler free thread, get home, hit a hopefully revelant to my interest link in the OP and boom! Kick back time.

Only hazard could be PS4/Event related avas in that thread, but I shouldn't have to scroll past the first post if things are handled correctly.

Haunted

Kaz needs to walk on stage tomorrow and be like:

"Wow, I'm so overwhelmed by how many people we've got here today!

Oh wait... I see we even have the Pope in attendance with us this evening!

*munch on a Doritos chip*

...the Doritos Pope!"
That would be in poor taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom