• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
We just fundamentally disagree. There was absolutely no chance any device that doesn't have all the Vita's functionality could play all games. No alternative to touch screen, for example, could possible get through Uncharted's touch based boss fights.

You take them to task for this, I view it as an acceptable loss for acceptable reasons.

As for the other games that 'should' work, I give them the benefit of the doubt that if it's not accessible on PSTV, there is a reason for it. We may not like the reason, but in most cases there probably is one.

Oh, of course it's a 'nice to have' on a handheld. I just don't think it makes or breaks sales. I mean, I bought all the cables for my PSP to be on tv... but you know what? The PSTV solution is 100x more elegant.

Yes, certainly, they could have made the Vita have an HDMI out, and they could also have made it sync with a DS3 or 4 for the games that worked for. Heck, they could also have waited a year to release it, and made it powerful enough to run PS2 games. Could of, would of, should of. All that stuff would have increased the price further though, and i have a hard time imagining the fate of the Vita would have been much different.

Cheap does not necessarily mean profitable. I have no idea how many PSTVs they need to move to turn a profit, but I do know converting the vita into a pstv was child's play for sony engineers. Manufacturing would also be cheap.

Ultimately it means they can now sell an entry unit into the vita/ps1/psp ecosystem for well under $100. That's a strong strategic decision, even if it doesn't pay off (though I bet it does).

i just don't agree it's 'mismanagement'. In fact, I view it as a perfect example of what everybody says Sony doesn't do -- supporting the Vita ecosystem. As I've said before, I believe Sony has successfully linked the life cycle of the Vita/PSTV to the life cycle of the PS4 through remote play. That's a good thing for us.

This is all conjecture, though. And it's also backseat driving -- it's easy to know a device didn't catch on after it didn't catch on. In an alternate universe, people might have flocked to a pocket size vita/psp/PS1/PSNOW/remoteplay device. That they didn't (even at sub $100) tells me those features wouldn't have helped the vita much either.
We don't agree that's for sure.

-Again you look on the PSTV only what you want, I don't know how anyone could call elegant a solution that isn't compatible with everything it's supposed to be.

-If Sony really wanted to be serious about PSTV then they would have done a modified DS4 with a back touchpad or another solution, but again, since it was a last minute cheap and dirty attempt to get more sales they didn't care and so did the people.

-Do you really think that a Vita + hdmi(or another tv out) would have been more expensive than Vita + the propretary mystery port? You can surely find someone that makes an hdmi for cheap(or Sony could have made it themselves), for that mystery port Sony invested money and time for r&d, and spent money to realize a non-standard piece that no one else could do, with all the additional cost involved that it implied(and that in the end wasn't even used), all money and time that could have been spent in other things.

-You can call conjecture, backseat driving or whatever you like, but it would have been really easy to for a Vita + hdmi to sell as much or even more than actual Vita + PSTV :p

Not that any of you care, Dissidia 3 is planned to have 50 characters.
COME ON SABIN!
I think that many here care, 50 is a really high number.
I get a SAO Lost Song impression from it though, aseptic/lifeless bakgrounds, more realistic graphics style, different developer, i wonder if the gameplay will also have changes.

SerTapTap

I wonder when will we have people who know how to review anime games.

I hope to be one, but if you're looking for them at major publications...sorry. They'll never do niche right, unless it's a very lucky niche--I'm honestly pretty amazed bayonetta and souls series get as much love as they do, but I guess they're still a more easily appreciated niche than bullet hell games or games that have shock and horror humor in them.

My problem with Omega Quintet, beside the terrible graphics and lack of a story, is that every single fight takes FOREVER to beat, =Just like Xenosaga 2, you have to queue your attacks to go all out at once, but it makes a normal fight tedious.

Not really sure what you mean by this, unless it gets super complicated and constantly difficult later on. You can set battle animations to skip and a normal fight takes less than a minute assuming you can beat it with just normal attacks. I do wish there were a "remember menu positions" option like most ATB Final Fantasies have, but with the skip options I don't really feel things take too long with 2-3 actions per turn. The skills menu is a little fiddly, but since the number of equipped skills seems to be limited I'm not sure it's going to get any worse than it currently even is.

COME ON SABIN!

Sabin vs Ghost Train let's do this

BTW as someone who's only ever learned to play Skullgirls, appreciates fighting games but can't really bother to learn them game by game, should I even care about Dissidia? I can play games with far simpler control schemes like Senran Kagura easily but playing a "standard" fighting game with "simplified" controls (arcana heart auto mode) doesn't do anything for me.

Takao

Banned
COME ON SABIN!

successful spinoff to successful rpg franchise
both of which had a history on sony handhelds
which tend to dominate conversation in this thread
yeah, literally no one here cares about dissidia

Li Kao

On the topic of big publications handling of niche anime games, I would say that Destructoid looks relatively fair to me. They don't seem to trash a game at face value.
Evidently in this case 'major' is debatable and the site has other problems.

SerTapTap

On the topic of big publications handling of niche anime games, I would say that Destructoid looks relatively fair to me. They don't seem to trash a game at face value.
Evidently in this case 'major' is debatable and the site has other problems.

I'll admit I've long since stopped actually trying to find reviews for such games from big outlets. Reviews are pretty awful in general in that far too often you have to know the reviewer to know how much to value their opinion and I just don't have that kind of time to research every reviewer in the industry (I say this and am starting a site partially for reviews). Prerelease info, player impressions and track record matter a lot more to me, I generally only use reviews to see if there are any major agreed upon issues (like that crazy enemy turns thing in Codename steam).

But for humorous, niche or anime games the "major agreed upon issue" is usually "I don't like this sense of humor", "I don't like this kind of games" or "I am not kawaii desu" and that tells me nothing of import.

Luke_Wal

Has anybody played Stealth Inc. 2 yet? I enjoyed the first one a lot, but I'm finding the complete lack of fanfare at its release a little troubling, especially when the first one reviewed so well. I'm trying to decide between Stealth Inc. 2 and Titan Souls.

So Woah Dave! got a patch that added a "Deluxe" mode where you got maps with either elevators or portals on the sides. Also you can now play as other indie game characters.

PQ9QfuX.jpg

Tower of Guns is the perfect PS+ game. Fun for 3 or 4 hours and then you never feel the need to play it again and glad you didn't pay money for it. It is like somebody applied popular indie rouge-like trends to a Quake 2 mod.

5NDAiQG.jpg

SerTapTap

I got farther than I expected in tower of guns (farther than I did on PC), I think picking a low rate of fire gun (the pizza slicer) helps counteract the negatives of stick aiming. It seems pretty decent but like most roguelikes it's not really for me. Biggest complaint is in some rooms/bosses you'd need eyes in the back of your head to actually dodge some of this stuff--there's a reason bullet hell games are third person (and 2D to boot). Also the game seems based around the Doom par time thing where you don't clear every room and instead rush through, I'm really bad at making my brain do that in these types of games (FPS AND roguelike). I almost always scour every room in Binding of Isaac until the Womb.

Has anybody played Stealth Inc. 2 yet? I enjoyed the first one a lot, but I'm finding the complete lack of fanfare at its release a little troubling, especially when the first one reviewed so well. I'm trying to decide between Stealth Inc. 2 and Titan Souls.

Bought Stealth 2. Played the tutorial and got distracted. I can confirm it runs well on Vita so far. If I could get one, and I had already played the first Stealth inc. I would probably wait for Titan Souls. It sounds like the Vita version will be way behind the other versions if it comes at all if that is a factor to you. Titan Souls looks awesome.

I got farther than I expected in tower of guns (farther than I did on PC), I think picking a low rate of fire gun (the pizza slicer) helps counteract the negatives of stick aiming. It seems pretty decent but like most roguelikes it's not really for me. Biggest complaint is in some rooms/bosses you'd need eyes in the back of your head to actually dodge some of this stuff--there's a reason bullet hell games are third person (and 2D to boot). Also the game seems based around the Doom par time thing where you don't clear every room and instead rush through, I'm really bad at making my brain do that in these types of games (FPS AND roguelike). I almost always scour every room in Binding of Isaac until the Womb.

I have been clearing the rooms thinking it is best to level up your weapon. I always seem to eventually hit the room where it is like "are you serious"? Yeah a radar would help this game a lot. The guns just spawn out of nowhere behind you. The enemies should be there when you enter the room and stop the re-spawning.

Didn't play the PC version but the aiming is fine to me. It feels like Unreal Tournament on PS3.

Massa

Bought Stealth 2. Played the tutorial and got distracted. I can confirm it runs well on Vita so far. If I could get one, and I had already played the first Stealth inc. I would probably wait for Titan Souls. It sounds like the Vita version will be way behind the other versions if it comes at all if that is a factor to you. Titan Souls looks awesome.

Titan Souls comes out day 1 on Vita and PS4 for 14.99.

SerTapTap

What is the consensus on Stealth Inc 2? I enjoyed the first briefly but the puzzles went over my head after a while, dying a lot was frustrating. I've heard like 10x more about it being Wii U exclusive (then actually it wasn't) than I heard about the actual game.

I have been clearing the rooms thinking it is best to level up your weapon. I always seem to eventually hit the room where it is like "are you serious"? Yeah a radar would help this game a lot. The guns just spawn out of nowhere behind you. The enemies should be there when you enter the room and stop the re-spawning.

Didn't play the PC version but the aiming is fine to me. It feels like Unreal Tournament on PS3.

Yeah, leveling your weapon is best at least at first, but once you max it out it doesn't really matter. Coins are nice but it doesn't really feel worth dawdling and taking damage unless you're at full health. Secrets are more important, but I swear they're not always possible to get depending on your jump count/height--could be wrong. I've only played for maybe 3 hours total honestly. With roguelites I usually play them for about 2 hours or I play them for way too long--mostly only binding of Isaac.

It's not really that the aiming is bad, it's just the inherent downgrade from mouse to stick, and I never really learned to play with hypersensitivity on stick. But it's less a problem than I expected, most of the enemies are stationary, slow or massive anyway--only those flying little drone cannons were of extreme annoyance. It's more a game of dodging than shooting compared to most FPS.

The PS Vita version of Revelations 2 will contain all four episodes of Capcom’s scarefest, including any DLC (sans consumables) released thus far. As for Raid Mode, single-player will also be included at launch, but online co-op Raid Mode and the ad-hoc modes will most likely come post-launch via an update. This is so we can get the full game into your hands that much sooner. Finally, we’ve added gyroscopic targeting to make shooting weapons that much more PS Vita-centric.

Are they saying the two extra episode (The Struggle and Little Miss) of the retail release won't come out on Vita? I really wanted a physical release but maybe it's impossible since I think the Vita cartridges can only hold 4 gb :/

SerTapTap

Are they saying the two extra episode (The Struggle and Little Miss) of the retail release won't come out on Vita? I really wanted a physical release but maybe it's impossible since I think the Vita cartridges can only hold 4 gb :/

It's not physical because they don't think it's worth it (they're probably wrong but whatever it's capcom and a self-fulfilling prophecy with a late port like this)--Vita games have come with carts + download codes for content beyond the 4 GB limit before. FFX HD and Borderlands do that.

autoduelist

We don't agree that's for sure.

-Again you look on the PSTV only what you want, I don't know how anyone could call elegant a solution that isn't compatible with everything it's supposed to be.

Because it is. You expect miracles, I expected about what we got.

My PSP had a big wire contraption locking it to my tv strung across the room. It was a pain, so i never used it. The pstv is a nice little tiny box that actually looks fine and lets me use my ds4.

-If Sony really wanted to be serious about PSTV then they would have done a modified DS4 with a back touchpad or another solution, but again, since it was a last minute cheap and dirty attempt to get more sales they didn't care and so did the people.

You're talking about designing and manufacturing a whole new specialty controller for a device that may not sell just to support a few extra games, one that would include all the functionality that was specifically cut from the pstv to save cost, completely undoing the entire point. Made worse because the majority of users will just use existing controllers they already own that will support the majority of games. That's high risk with low reward. It's feature creep and project bloat. You'd be designing and manufacturing a controller for a niche of a niche. That specialty controller is the kind of thing you build -after- the pstv catches fire and is successful, not before.

Your bias is in your words -- you can't see past thinking that this was some "last minute cheap and dirty attempt to get more sales".

Try thinking of it more from the perspective of whichever person came up with the idea, presenting it to a meeting: "Hey, I came up with a cheap and easy way to produce a device that will be capable of PSNow, remote play, and vita games! With one easy to develop machine, we can potentially extend the userbase of all three of our major projects (psnow, ps4, vita). If it's successful we can even position it to compete with the Fire and Apple TV. Oh, and we can sell it at a profit for under $100." The crowd cheers! Great idea!
And then the guy goes: "Oh, and even though the DS3/DS4 will support 90% of Vita games, we should also create a specialty controller that some users might buy even though they already have DS3/4s they can use for free so we can make sure all Vita games work. It's be even more complicated than the ds4!" And the crowd goes silent.

It's not that it isn't a good idea... it is, in a fantasy device sort of way. But it would be a terrible business decision. Making that controller would be a clear cut case of mismanagement and terrible prioritization, not the other way around. I know that you want a perfect device that can play every single Vita game, but that was never, ever going to be on the table. It isn't nearly as big of an issue as some make it out to be - the device wasn't planned to be a pure Vita replacement. In fact, one could even argue that it's good if it can't play some important Vita games like Uncharted, since that helps keep the Vita itself relevant.

-Do you really think that a Vita + hdmi(or another tv out) would have been more expensive than Vita + the propretary mystery port? You can surely find someone that makes an hdmi for cheap(or Sony could have made it themselves), for that mystery port Sony invested money and time for r&d, and spent money to realize a non-standard piece that no one else could do, with all the additional cost involved that it implied(and that in the end wasn't even used), all money and time that could have been spent in other things.

We have no idea what that port is for, so it's a meaningless debate. It might have been considered important or vital at the time. Obviously they thought it was worth investing money into and including. Maybe it would only have made sense to implement if the Vita had sold to expectations.

That in itself isn't bad management or bad decision making. Sony knows far more than we do about the demand for something like an HDMI out. I'm sure they do market research and such while designing their gadgets. They didn't view it as critical to the Vita, or determined the cost outweighed the advantages. They could be right or wrong, but I don't attribute that to 'bad management'... it's just how it goes, sometimes, we don't always get what we want.

We, as fans, have very different views than people working at Sony. We want everything, cheap. That's impossible. Things we want will be cut. I'm shocked that after leaving 2 analogs off the psp (how did that happen?) they left 4 triggers off the vita. But i know exactly how it happened -- it was over budget and features needed to be cut, and someone pointed out the front/back touch could be used instead of the extra triggers, and accounting probably said 'stick to budget, cut them'. And it sucks. But i get it.

-You can call conjecture, backseat driving or whatever you like, but it would have been really easy to for a Vita + hdmi to sell as much or even more than actual Vita + PSTV :p

Conjecture is conjecture. You're neglecting the massive benefit of being able to have a Vita/PSNow/Remote play device on the market for under $100. That trumps your idea in every way from a business standpoint.

Listen, I'm not saying I don't want a Vita with HDMI that can sync with a DS4. I do. I also want my vita to have a bigger screen and 4 triggers. But I can also understand why we got what we got, and don't attribute it to 'deception' and 'mismanagement'.

Tizoc

Odd why haven't EU and US Blogs put up March's top sellers yet? I wanna rage on all the scrubs who didn't buy Megaman X4 for $1 :V

Redhood

The PS Vita version of Revelations 2 will contain all four episodes of Capcom’s scarefest, including any DLC (sans consumables) released thus far. As for Raid Mode, single-player will also be included at launch, but online co-op Raid Mode and the ad-hoc modes will most likely come post-launch via an update. This is so we can get the full game into your hands that much sooner. Finally, we’ve added gyroscopic targeting to make shooting weapons that much more PS Vita-centric. more PS Vita-centric.

Bolded make me happy. Lets hope performance is decent and the game is native res.

A special controller for PSTV is a total pipe dream. The device is a half-measure meant to make some lemonade out of lemons. It was never going to be a stellar, full-featured offering. Maybe in the next gen Sony will create a PS5 full and mini console combo based on what they learned with the PSTV. But the device right now is just a bail-out attempt. Going all out with a new controller etc would not have helped it sell more, IMO.

VLiberty

Never played a RE game because I'm not a fan of horror games but I've happened to try the REvelations 3DS demo and I was honestly surprised. I still need to get it but, in case I'll like the game, I hope the port of RER2 on Vita turns out good.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Because it is. You expect miracles, I expected about what we got.

My PSP had a big wire contraption locking it to my tv strung across the room. It was a pain, so i never used it. The pstv is a nice little tiny box that actually looks fine and lets me use my ds4.

See, to me, this is straight up pie-in-the-sky crazy talk. You're talking about designing and manufacturing a whole new specialty controller for a device that may not sell just to support a few extra games.... when the majority of users will just use existing controllers that will support the majority of games. That's high risk with low reward. It's feature creep and project bloat. You'd be designing and manufacturing a controller for a niche of a niche. That specialty controller is the kind of thing you build -after- the pstv catches fire and is successful, not before.

Your bias is in your words -- you can't see past thinking that this was some "last minute cheap and dirty attempt to get more sales".

Try thinking of it more from the perspective of whichever person came up with the idea, presenting it to a meeting: "Hey, I came up with a cheap and easy way to produce a device that will be capable of PSNow, remote play, and vita games! With one easy to develop machine, we can potentially extend the userbase of all three of our major projects (psnow, ps4, vita)." The crowd cheers! Great idea!
And then the guy goes: "Oh, and even though the DS3/DS4 will support 90% of Vita games, we should also create a specialty controller that some users might buy even though they already have DS3/4s they can use for free so we can make sure all Vita games work." And the crowd goes silent.

It's not that it isn't a good idea... it is, in a fantasy device sort of way. But it would be a terrible business decision.

We have no idea what that port is for, so it's a meaningless debate. It might have been considered important or vital at the time. Obviously they thought it was worth investing money into and including.

Conjecture is conjecture. You're neglecting the massive benefit of being able to have a Vita/PSNow/Remote play device on the market for under $100. That trumps your idea in every way from a business standpoint.

Listen, I'm not saying I don't want a Vita with HDMI that can sync with a DS4. I do. I also want my vita to have a bigger screen and 4 triggers. But I can also understand why we got what we got, and don't attribute it to 'deception' and 'mismanagement'.

-Sorry but i'm not i the one with bias expecting miracles, you are comparing the PSTV to a PSP, but PSTV is a Vita, not a PSP! People don't buy PSTV expecting a PSP, again only because you are happy with what it can do it doesn't mean that people are as happy as you.

-Vita and PSTV in particular are perfect examples of mismanagment, project-wise because if there was a good long term plan PSTV would have been planned earlier and Vita would have been made so that there were no problems for the PSTV(and without mystery port), and business-wise beacuse it bombed hard.

-I don't think that the guy that had the PSTV idea was promoted...

-obviously the mysterious port was considered important, but again that's another example of mismanagment, they had 2 choices, they should have foreseen that no one would have used it so they shouldn't have developed it or since it was done support it and push others to use it.

The PSTV is son of two "original sins", the first is the lack of tv out on Vita and the second is the PSTV development without any sort of plan. Just to be clear i'm not despising the PSTV, even if the lack of certain games is really a bad thing, continuing with Biblic images i'm saying that the "Earth"(Vita without tv out and PSTV) is good but the "Garden of Eden"(Vita+tv out, what we were "destined" to have) would have been a lot better lol.

RK128

Regarding the Vita T...I mean, PlayStation TV, the platform was hindered right off the bat when support for every Vita game wasn't happening. A GBA->GC type set up where you play games on your Vita and the TV is the screen would have worked very well (could have been some use for that mystery port or via WiFi), but that didn't happen :l.

It is nice DS4 controllers are supported though, so we can use some kind of touch device to play a few Vita games that really need that and are supported. Also, from its launch too now, lots of Vita games have the device in mind, so people who got them can play a number of recent Vita tittles on it alongside some games Sony feels 'gracious' enough to patch (Killzone, Tales of Heart R, ect).

I don't like the device myself, as it feels like a really throw away thing to get a platform that plays games for under 100 bucks under the Sony brand, but the things ablity to play PSP and PS1 games is really nice and for games like Killzone, having bigger analog sticks could really help with aiming and stuff.

Its a thing that happened and it really didn't take off to much, but for what it is, the platform is a nice complement to the Vita and PS4 :). Not something you get just for Vita games (as you would miss 40% of its library that way) but a nice thing for PS Now/PS4 Streaming and a few PSP/PS1 Classics :).

I just ordered a 64GB Vita Memory Card off Amazon for like £65.
Other than the fact it's ridiculously overpriced, is that a good price for one? I've seen them go for around £80 previously I remember correctly.

It'll be good to finally be able to fit all my games on at once, because swapping games around on an 8GB is especially annoying.

RK128

I just ordered a 64GB Vita Memory Card off Amazon for like £65.
Other than the fact it's ridiculously overpriced, is that a good price for one? I've seen them go for around £80 previously I remember correctly.

It'll be good to finally be able to fit all my games on at once, because swapping games around on an 8GB is especially annoying.

Considering you have a 8 GB card, then that price for a 64GB cart is a great deal :D. Hope you enjoy having so many games in one spot man :).

Producer

Just a heads up: If any of you guys dont have Project Diva F 2nd still, Amazon & Gamestop have it for $22 (US)

Cheapest i've seen it physical.

Shinriji

Is this not related to Playism bringing touhou games to the west? I'm confused about this whole deal. Are these JP only then or? Don't think I've heard of Mediascape

The playism Touhou is for the ZUN games, the creator of the Touhou Project. The "play doujin" announced games are the Touhou fan games. Think the ZUN games like the canon games, and the Touhou fan games as spinoffs.

But some of the spinoffs are pretty sucessful as well, like Gensokyou.

Producer

Is this not related to Playism bringing touhou games to the west? I'm confused about this whole deal. Are these JP only then or? Don't think I've heard of Mediascape

Completely unrelated. These games are JP only and are fanmade games. I dont think we'll see the proper Touhou games on vita.

I think ZUN will focus on the Playism deal, that in itself is pretty big news.

SerTapTap

Ah, the ZUN stuff is what I'm most interested in but still cool to see the others. I assumed the projects were released, guess not. Is Playism bringing stuff to PS4 too? I know they were bringing other doujins to PS4. Would be cool to see some bullet hell on PS4, maybe we could get MOSS and 5PB back on board (cave is...kill)

Shinriji

Completely unrelated. These games are JP only and are fanmade games. I dont think we'll see the proper Touhou games on vita.

I think ZUN will focus on the Playism deal, that in itself is pretty big news.

But playism is bringing some indies to the vita as well, maybe the ZUN games will come eventually (since all the playism PS4 games kinda of bombed on the JP store).

Considering you have a 8 GB card, then that price for a 64GB cart is a great deal :D. Hope you enjoy having so many games in one spot man :).

Yeah, I'm quite hyped. I got a load of games in the sales but I've only played through Jak and Daxter, like two goes of TxK, up to meeting Olga on MGS2, the first level of Tearaway, and to the first part of gameplay on Danganronpa (after the intro dialogue you when you end up in a classroom).
Having all my PS1 classics on the go too, minus UmJammer Lammy if that has the same issues on Vita as it had on PSP, is just icing on the cake.

Producer

But playism is bringing some indies to the vita as well, maybe the ZUN games will come eventually (since all the playism PS4 games kinda of bombed on the JP store).

the thing is that they wont really translate well to the vita since they're vertical stgs. But who knows.

The Playism PS4 games are out already? Wasnt Astebreed one of them? sucks if that bombed.

RK128

Yeah, I'm quite hyped. I got a load of games in the sales but I've only played through Jak and Daxter, like two goes of TxK, up to meeting Olga on MGS2, the first level of Tearaway, and to the first part of gameplay on Danganronpa (after the intro dialogue you when you end up in a classroom).
Having all my PS1 classics on the go too, minus UmJammer Lammy if that has the same issues on Vita as it had on PSP, is just icing on the cake.

I felt the same way when I upgraded from my 16GB card to my 32GB card :D; holding so many games at one spot while also have so much verity of games to chose from :).

Right now, I have a few retail Vita games (Jak Collection, Neptunia Rebirth, Dragons Crown, ect), five bubbles of Indie games, three bubbles of PS1 tittles, one bubble for PS Mini's and PS Mobile games and one full bubble of PSP games; that is almost 85+ games in one spot XD!

Can't imagine how many games one could hold with a 64GB card, so have fun and enjoy having 150+ games on the go man :D!

autoduelist

-Sorry but i'm not i the one with bias expecting miracles, you are comparing the PSTV to a PSP, but PSTV is a Vita, not a PSP! People don't buy PSTV expecting a PSP, again only because you are happy with what it can do it doesn't mean that people are as happy as you.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I do not think you are reading my post correctly. I'm really not sure what you're going on about with me 'expecting miracles'.

We were talking about the device being elegant -- it's a pretty little box. The PSTV is elegant engineering, through and through. My PSP with wires hanging out of it attached to my tv is not an elegant solution to the same problem - it's serviceable at best.

-Vita and PSTV in particular are perfect examples of mismanagment, project-wise because if there was a good long term plan PSTV would have been planned earlier and Vita would have been made so that there were no problems for the PSTV(and without mystery port), and business-wise beacuse it bombed hard.

That's not what mismanagement is. You can manage something well and it can fail. Them's the breaks.

There was -no- way to make a game highly dependent on a touch screen work perfectly without the touch screen. You're asking the impossible.

-I don't think that the guy that had the PSTV idea was promoted...

Why not? It's a fantastic idea on paper. It would be mismanagement to not recognize and reward someone for coming up with original and inventive ideas, even if some of them don't work out in the marketplace. The marketplace is fickle.

-obviously the mysterious port was considered important, but again that's another example of mismanagment, they had 2 choices, they should have foreseen that no one would have used it so they shouldn't have developed it or since it was done support it and push others to use it.

what? that doesn't make sense. They included it because they clearly thought they would have a reason to use it. then the vita didn't sell well, so they never released whatever would use it. That's good management -- cutting your losses.

There was no 'pushing others to use it'... we don't even know what it did! Sony does, though, and I"m sure if the vita sold like the 3ds we'd know too. But it didn't, so that's that.

Some things don't pan out. That's life. The mystery port is one of them. We have no idea what that cost them, or if it even matters. I don't know why you're positioning it as anything more than that.

The PSTV is son of two "original sins", the first is the lack of tv out on Vita and the second is the PSTV development without any sort of plan. Just to be clear i'm not despising the PSTV, even if the lack of certain games is really a bad thing, continuing with Biblic images i'm saying that the "Earth"(Vita without tv out and PSTV) is good but the "Garden of Eden"(Vita+tv out, what we were "destined" to have) would have been a lot better lol.

I know that's what you want. i get that. That's not what Sony was trying for. They put out a cheap device hoping it would sell to the non-handheld market -- a small, simple device that could push PSNow, sell due to remote play, ps1, psp, vita games, and support the playstation ecosystem in general. Were it successful they could have then pushed it into being competition for the fire/apple tv.

That it doesn't play a small number of vita games is borderline inconsequential to the above goals. I know it bothers you to no end, but in the marketplace? It's really not a big deal. Especially since it would be impossible to make it play some of those games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Even then Sony fucked up, the non handheld market isn't in Japan.

For just a bit more money they could have had a 1080p Vita TV that might have actually done ok in the west.

VLiberty

Somehow I fucked up everything while upgrading my HDD.

I'm getting error 8002f281. Google isn't really helping me either.

edit: the old HDD is giving me that error. With the new HDD on, the system now won't even turn on.

Basically I swapped the old HDD with the new, then it asked me to put the FW update on an external drive, done: it starts updating, then goes caput. Now when I put the new HDD on, the system won't even go into safe mode. With the old HDD it will give me various options but ultimately will either freeze or give that error.

edit2: I can tell that

- new HDD is definitely fucked - not a big issue, tomorrow I'll try to make someone who has a 2.5" reader format it to see if it's just a minor problem; by the way I just bought it and it's under warranty
- PS3 is most likely fucked as well and that could be a big problem

Nudull

Banned
I want the Vita ones localized, I wonder if they're pulling through with publishing overseas.

I think the only Playism game I've ever played was Cherry Tree High. Does remind me that I really should play Yume Nikki, though. How are the Vita games?

Shizuka

If anyone is going to order Moe Chronicle from Play-Asia but didn't do it just yet, send me a PM before you make your order if you make your order, I'd really appreciate it.

Top Bottom