• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

Shizuka

I'm not sure what that stands for.

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters.

431194_front.jpg

HGH

Banned
*w* Quintet is so kawaii~
I'm still not through the classically long JRPG tutorial, so I can't really be sure they're used/required to full effect, but there's a lot of promise in the combat system. I kind of wish I picked Advanced mode (there's 3 difficulties--standard easy/normal/hard). Advanced mode claims it's for if you want to enjoy "every aspect of the game" and not recommended for a first playthrough.
Oh jeez I just remembered something.
There's a dungeon or practice area in your base or something? And it has a bunch of different floors. Except the floors are limited by difficulty level. 6 for the easiest, 10 for the normal ones, and the full 13 on the hardest. I think that's what it meant.
Otherwise those are nice enough impressions. I doubt it'll get similar good ones elsewhere though.

SerTapTap

Oh jeez I just remembered something.
There's a dungeon or practice area in your base or something? And it has a bunch of different floors. Except the floors are limited by difficulty level. 6 for the easiest, 10 for the normal ones, and the full 13 on the hardest. I think that's what it meant.
Otherwise those are nice enough impressions. I doubt it'll get similar good ones elsewhere though.

Oh yeah, haven't messed with that yet. It seemed sort of interesting for a training area.

And yeah, being a comedic anime game basically caps it's Metacritic at around 70. I wouldn't bother with standard reviews for it if you're interested, read player impressions instead.

deadfolk

Well this is a first. I never thought I'd get stuck on the credits of a game before. But here I am. Seriously what's up with Monsterbag? I cant progress this credits stage.

Welcome to Vita's answer to Bloodborne. You think From Software's games are hard? On Vita we have a game where we can't even get past the credits.

maouvin

Monsterbag
do you know what the change to oblains do?

I think it's just that the long-legged monster slaps people at stage start to make them angry. I only played two stages on this mode, though.

Welcome to Vita's answer to Bloodborne. You think From Software's games are hard? On Vita we have a game where we can't even get past the credits.

I must admit that being stuck on the credits stage was a notable event on my gamer life.

Got my 64GB card - this Rakuten deal never seemed quite real until you actually have it in your hands.

Now I need to back up my old card, but progress is stuck at 0 kb...

Nudull

Banned
I think VitaGAF should give TTGH* another chance. The game is really good, both visual novel sections and gameplay.

I didn't play it yet, but I'll pick it up and give it a shot. I trust your opinions. :)

Sup vitacats! Just got a new job after months without one. So that means new vita games and if i can get one a 64 Gb memory card to replace muy old 32g. Im happy!

Congrats! ^_^

Maid

Banned
Oh yeah, haven't messed with that yet. It seemed sort of interesting for a training area.

And yeah, being a comedic anime game basically caps it's Metacritic at around 70. I wouldn't bother with standard reviews for it if you're interested, read player impressions instead.

I wonder when will we have people who know how to review anime games.

I like to think I do a decent job covering the bases on reviews as well, but I agree - a lot of people only scratch the surface for stigma reasons.

How to review animu games:

Section 1: How tropey are the characters? Rate the overall tropey-ness on a 10 point scale. Use this same number to extrapolate quality.

Section 2: Does the game have collaborations with franchises that are unrelated? If so, add 20% to the rating. If no, subtract 10%

...And you're done.

If a Vita backup restore pops up a "Please wait..." message partway through, is there any point to actually waiting? Or do you just restart and try again?

Chuy

So i've managed to convince a couple more friends of mine to get a vita in the near future for the persona series and recommended the following to get as well:
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Freedom Wars (they're pretty interested in it after seeing me play it)
16gb memory card

Anything else i should recommend?

Maid

Banned
So i've managed to convince a couple more friends of mine to get a vita in the near future for the persona series and recommended the following to get as well:
Soul Sacrifice Delta
16gb memory card

Toukiden Kiwami.
Neptunia, I guess? Not sure about your friend's taste.
Oreshika.

Maid

Banned
Somehow forgot Toukiden Kiwami and Oreshika somehow but will recommend them.
As for their tastes they're generally up to anything

There is Demon Gaze, too. DRPG isn't for everyone, so I'd suggest buying 1 copy and sharing to see if they like it or not.

It's the one who got me into DRPG, though, so I'm kinda biased about it.

autoduelist

I must admit that being stuck on the credits stage was a notable event on my gamer life.

There was a pc game by Activision in the mid 80s call Hacker. It came with no instructions and booted to a black screen with a simple log in prompt. Good luck guessing the password to get into the games 'server'.

after several tries, there would eventually be a glitch in the system and you'd get in through a back door

games today are easy peasy, lol. instructions and everything!

Tapejara

I think reviews for anime style games are generally pretty useless. Both from larger sites and specialized smaller sites. I don't really like review scores anyway, but it just seems especially pointless for such a polarizing genre.

Shizuka

Soul Sacrifice Delta
16gb memory card

Danganronpa and Gravity Rush. Maybe Ys: Memories of Celceta as well.

There is Demon Gaze, too. DRPG isn't for everyone, so I'd suggest buying 1 copy and sharing to see if they like it or not.

Demon Gaze is a small miracle on the Vita, I love that game to death.

Nudull

Banned
I think reviews for anime style games are generally pretty useless. Both from larger sites and specialized smaller sites. I don't really like review scores anyway, but it just seems especially pointless for such a polarizing genre.

Big AAA games tend to take priority anyway, and it's just easier for reviewers to just go "LOL JAPAN" and call it a day.

Khronico

Well I finally opened up my slim PS3 to do a full cleaning and MAN, no wonder it had heating issues. There was practically an inch of dust on every part, the fan was even obstructed by it. I should take care of my consoles better, that's the first time I've ever done that in the 6 years I've owned the thing.

Tapejara

Big AAA games tend to take priority anyway, and it's just easier for reviewers to just go "LOL JAPAN" and call it a day.

Sure, but specialized sites that focus on these types of games can also present similar issues. It's not uncommon to see smaller sites place the genre on a pedestal, and I think that the need to "defend" or legitimize the anime genre against larger AAA titles can influence scores in the opposite direction, even when games aren't deserving of those scores.

I'm not saying anime games are bad - anyone who knows me knows the original Hyperdimension Neptunia is in my top 5 games of all time -, but I think there are quality issues within the genre that are either over exaggerated or totally glossed over. I'm not one to question a reviewer's opinion, but with how anime games are generally received it seems like review scores are worthless.

Edit: btw, I saw up above that Shizuka wrote a few reviews. Hopefully you don't take my post as a slight against your reviews, I'm just talking in general.

Chuy

I've been meaning to buy it honestly so I could try it out so I personally but I've yet to find the store that had it for 10 bucks again. I'll probably buy it next time it's on sale though and let them try it then.

Danganronpa and Gravity Rush. Maybe Ys: Memories of Celceta as well
Forgot to mention I recommended this as well for single player experience.

I'll be sure to mention these games Monday when I have classes with them again. Thanks for the recommendations so far though guys!

After five failed tries, I have written a guide to successfully completing a Vita backup restore (on a Mac):

1. Don't touch your Vita or computer until the restore is done.
...That's it.

Soul Sacrifice Delta
16gb memory card

Ys Memories of Celceta was really fun an I'm currently having a blast playing through Tales of Hearts R (Seriously I love Kor as a protagonist for what ever reason) so those two I definitely recommend. Other than that games like DanganRonpa, Tearaway, Demon Gaze, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted Golden Abyss, and LittleBigPlanet are must haves in my book.

Shizuka

Oh, my FF X/X-2 HD guide arrived today. That's nice, now I can seriously tackle X-2 on my Vita without worrying about any missable.

Both versions of SAO Lost Song (English) were lowered to $54.99 on Play Asia. Seems like they really want to push pre-orders of this and Moe before the western announcements.

Top Bottom