• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

Nudull

Banned
Part of me wants to hope for a Vita port of Lego Dimensions to go with the PS4 version I'll be getting. Then again, with TT's track record with Vita games... :/

SerTapTap

Pretty certain it was component iirc. Not that it changes anything from the debatable quality of the thing overall.

Oh, right, component. I always try to call that RBG for some reason. Well probably because of the red green and blue cables.

*w* Quintet is so kawaii~

Seriously though, tons of promise in this combat system, it's extremely similar to Final Fantasy 10: Turn order displayed, delay/advance turns based on actions (very transparently, unlike Neptunia), and there's also special effects on certain turns (indicated on a turn bar) so you can delay/advance turns to give an advantage to yourself or withhold it from an enemy. There's also an omnipresent Sensor style thing that shows elemental and even status weaknesses of targets (meaning it is one of insanely few JRPGs where you can actually use status effects on bosses without a strategy guide), a Sphere grid (a huge but simple grid with no "pay levels to travel" BS, also it mostly teaches skills/passive effects not stats), it also features Overkill (deal full HP damage or double enemy's current HP to gain more actions before your opponent). When you have enough "action points" (via high level or overkills) you can even queue multiple attacks per turn.

I'm still not through the classically long JRPG tutorial, so I can't really be sure they're used/required to full effect, but there's a lot of promise in the combat system. I kind of wish I picked Advanced mode (there's 3 difficulties--standard easy/normal/hard). Advanced mode claims it's for if you want to enjoy "every aspect of the game" and not recommended for a first playthrough.

BTW there is idol performance/dancing stuff, like a make your own performance thing. Mercifully it seems to be entirely optional but I'm sure some like that more than I do.

I also hate the obligatory male idol manager dude. He's just kind of a smartass with no romantic interest in anyone which is quite a relief. He still feels a bit shoehorned in but I don't mind him.

I'm looking forward to this. I don't expect something groundbreaking but a JRPG on PS4 is something I'll definitely try. FFX's battle system is one of my favourites so all of that sounds great. Can you say something about the graphics and performance? Clean image quality, AA, consistent framerate?

Li Kao

So guys which side did you pick for PS4, Physical or Digital ?
Digital is really bad for me as I won't be able to resell games and soften the budget hit of a game purchase, but at the same time, in this day and age, with steam, with the fact that PS4 disk only serve as id check, it make less and less sense to keep buying physical.
Evidently, I'm not really a collector.

yaffi

Just received a mail from play-asia with a pre-order coupon for Moe(ro) Chronicles.

For those waiting for a localized version of the upcoming erotic dungeon crawler Genkai Totsuki Moero Chronicle, most news has only been in speculation, and at best, it's only been a mention of a future digital release. As such, instead of waiting, we'd like to introduce you to the only physical version in existence to have English and Chinese subtitles, as well as retaining the original uncensored Japanese experience!

As SRP is $45.99, our current listing is $42.99, but you can get $3.00 off with a coupon through the link! That's a total $5.00 off for this exclusive version*!

I think I'll bite.

SerTapTap

I'm looking forward to this. I don't expect something groundbreaking but a JRPG on PS4 is something I'll definitely try. FFX's battle system is one of my favourites so all of that sounds great. Can you say something about the graphics and performance? Clean image quality, AA, consistent framerate?

Clean IQ, acceptable/standard AA (it's there, not amazing, not terrible), framerate is not perfectly solid but not consistently bad. Never really impacts gameplay (unsurprisingly). I'd probably prefer a 30 FPS toggle if it were 100% consistent since it's kind of an odd title to worry about 60 FPS on. I've noticed framedrops more in the home base (when lots of characters are idling around) than in gameplay. It's certainly not as solid as Shinovi Versus but still a clear step up from basically any similar title on PS3. No more excuses for muddy textures and sub 1080p for 3D anime games this gen.

Also maps are a lot bigger and more complicated than Neptunia--but you also revisit the same map a few times and unlock more areas in it and such. I'm pretty sure it must be based on the Victory engine? Lots of similarities but also a lot more differences than Fairy Fencer F. Speaking of, the framerate issues aren't remotely as big a deal in FFF (fields in FFF feel like something around 20 FPS)

Just received a mail from play-asia with a pre-order coupon for Moe(ro) Chronicles.

I think I'll bite.

is it a user specific link? I think I should find something else to order to get me to $60, use one of those $X off $60 coupons and bite I guess. If they have anything $20-30 thats' actually a good deal...I already bought the one shmup they had that was a surprisingly good price (Ginga force, I think?)

Tizoc

tumblr_nmh6aeYVvE1u00iaio10_r1_250.gif

Such subtlety

yaffi

is it a user specific link? I think I should find something else to order to get me to $60, use one of those $X off $60 coupons and bite I guess. If they have anything $20-30 thats' actually a good deal...I already bought the one shmup they had that was a surprisingly good price (Ginga force, I think?)

I can't really tell. You need to klick the link provided with the mail and log in into your P-A account; then it generates the code.

Massa

Are you sure?
Wouldn't be easy to find the real function of it? If Sony r&d and even realized that port it means that there should be a patent somewhere right? Is it too hard to find for detectivegaf?

http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=37007&p=331455#p331455

It's just another USB-like interface, Sony probably uses it for service mode or other internal use. If they wanted Vita to output to HDMI they could have done it, but it's clear that they don't.

The point of Vita TV is to be cheap, it's less than half the price of a Vita. It was an attempt to get more Vita's out there by offering a sub-$100 version of it. HDMI output on the Vita itself wouldn't have done anything for the system.

Shinriji

Seriously though, tons of promise in this combat system, it's extremely similar to Final Fantasy 10: Turn order displayed, delay/advance turns based on actions (very transparently, unlike Neptunia), and there's also special effects on certain turns (indicated on a turn bar) so you can delay/advance turns to give an advantage to yourself or withhold it from an enemy. There's also an omnipresent Sensor style thing that shows elemental and even status weaknesses of targets (meaning it is one of insanely few JRPGs where you can actually use status effects on bosses without a strategy guide), a Sphere grid (a huge but simple grid with no "pay levels to travel" BS, also it mostly teaches skills/passive effects not stats), it also features Overkill (deal full HP damage or double enemy's current HP to gain more actions before your opponent). When you have enough "action points" (via high level or overkills) you can even queue multiple attacks per turn.

My problem with Omega Quintet, beside the terrible graphics and lack of a story, is that every single fight takes FOREVER to beat, =Just like Xenosaga 2, you have to queue your attacks to go all out at once, but it makes a normal fight tedious.

I can't really tell. You need to klick the link provided with the mail and log in into your P-A account; then it generates the code.

Found the link on twitter and it generated a code for me that works even though I didn't get the email. The code it generates seems to be unique to your account though, that's why you have to log in.

I've hidden the link in email tags (quote to see) if someone wants to try it.

Tapejara

Digital is really bad for me as I won't be able to resell games and soften the budget hit of a game purchase, but at the same time, in this day and age, with steam, with the fact that PS4 disk only serve as id check, it make less and less sense to keep buying physical.

I'd say just take it on a case by case basis. If there's a game you're going to be playing frequently, digital will be a godsend, especially once you get more games. You mentioned you were getting Samurai Warriors 4 and Bloodborne, correct? I'd say go digital on Bloodborne and physical with SW4.

Speaking of patches, I just restarted my Vita and it installed a Duke 3D patch - anyone know if that's recent/today and how big it is? I missed it due to the auto-install on restart.

SerTapTap

Are there really enough kids on Vita to support the weird licensed shovelware? I mean there must be since it keeps happening. Kinda surprising to see, and I'd have thought the Vita would trend older than 3DS.

Takao

Banned
how do you make a looney tunes sports game and not include basketball

sony releases some weird stuff on vita
i guess they ran out of disney licenses or something

autoduelist

I only learned yesterday that apparently the mysterious Vita port is supposed to be a video out, i was thinking, if Sony let us use that instead of deceiving us trying making money with the Vita TV don't you think it would have been better for everyone Sony included?

-No PSTV hassle, with missing games, lack of touchscreen etc.
-No PSTV at all, meaning no money for r&d, factory, support, shipping etc for just few thousands of sales
-Vita would have had more appeal meaning more sales(probably the sales increment would have been higher than the total PSTV sales and without all the money spent for the PSTV)

Vita is so mismanaged :(

They never claimed it the Vita could do video out, how can you accuse them of 'deceiving' us?

And the PSTV was a great idea on paper. It's dirt cheap to R&D and manufacture, and appeals to both Vita owners and those who don't like handhelds. Meanwhile, few base their handheld buying decisions on 'video out'. A tiny little PS1/PSP/vita remote play device was a great idea. I feel like people are wayyyy to ready to jump on Sony and accuse them of things when things don't sell the way they want them too.

The biggest issue is they likely didn't have the advertising budget to successfully position it in the marketplace.

It wouldn't have been a major selling point, but a good selling point for some people yes, especially for those who bought PSTV and those who would have bought PSTV without all the hassles.

I don't think people that aren't buying a pstv at $50 wouldn't suddenly have bought a vita if it had a video out.

Battle system sounds great, everything else sounds ugh.

Are there really enough kids on Vita to support the weird licensed shovelware? I mean there must be since it keeps happening. Kinda surprising to see, and I'd have thought the Vita would trend older than 3DS.

I'm sure it does trend older. that just doesn't save us from licensed shovelware.

SerTapTap

Battle system sounds great, everything else sounds ugh.

If you can enjoy it for the humor you should be fine story-wise IMO, it seems to be mostly the entire point. I don't like idols at all but I've enjoyed it for the humor, and I assume the story isn't particularly going anywhere beyond that.

Tohsaka

IFI press event will happen in a week, looking forward to more Vita games.

I'm betting they'll announce Moe(ro) Chronicle as a digital-only release in the west, possibly censored too. There's a blog post up on the HK PSN site now, too, confirming the May 5th date.

SerTapTap

I'm betting they'll announce Moe(ro) Chronicle as a digital-only release in the west, possibly censored too. There's a blog post up on the HK PSN site now, too, confirming the May 5th date.

Moe Chronicle, the first officially licensed Simpsons Dungeon RPG will be released for $30 exclusively on PSN by IFI. Rated E for Everyone

Tohsaka

I'm expecting Neptunia VII, Trillion and a surprise as well.

Hoping we get Neptunia VII localized this year, would be pretty funny having five Nep games released in the same year. Of course I bought/will buy all of them. Trillion looks neat, too.

SerTapTap

Hoping we get Neptunia VII localized this year, would be pretty funny having five Nep games released in the same year. Of course I bought/will buy all of them. Trillion looks neat, too.

Omega Quintet was only 6 months turnaround, I can't imagine their big franchise is much slower unless it's a lot more work. They seem similar in text volume but I don't know the actual length of either.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=37007&p=331455#p331455

It's just another USB-like interface, Sony probably uses it for service mode or other internal use. If they wanted Vita to output to HDMI they could have done it, but it's clear that they don't.

The point of Vita TV is to be cheap, it's less than half the price of a Vita. It was an attempt to get more Vita's out there by offering a sub-$100 version of it. HDMI output on the Vita itself wouldn't have done anything for the system.

They never claimed it the Vita could do video out, how can you accuse them of 'deceiving' us?

And the PSTV was a great idea on paper. It's dirt cheap to R&D and manufacture, and appeals to both Vita owners and those who don't like handhelds. Meanwhile, few base their handheld buying decisions on 'video out'. A tiny little PS1/PSP/vita remote play device was a great idea. I feel like people are wayyyy to ready to jump on Sony and accuse them of things when things don't sell the way they want them too.

Putting out a device at a fraction of the price that appeals to both vita owners and those who don't like portables was a great idea. It just didn't sell as well as they wanted, just like the vita. Nobody really buys or doesn't buy handhelds based on video out.

Nah, if PSTV was perfect then you would have been probably right, but PSTV is just a terrible attempt to get some sales with an half assed hardware that is not compatible with all the Vita games, you may want to look at it as just an emulation and remote play device, but you can't expect people look only at what you like and not at its entirety.

IIRC many people were pissed for the lack of a video out, after all the PSP had it, it was a total downgrade. It's not that rare to read of people that would like to play Vita games on tv screen but don't want to buy a PSTV because of the limitations.

The PSP was already itself a "PSPTV", Vita could have been a PSTV itself without all the costs of the PSTV and the few sales, it could have been a perfect home console even with screen and controls attached.

You say that PSTV R&D and manufacture are cheap, do you really think that the few PSTV sales covered those costs + all the PSTV units shipping(with all the different boxes, bureaucracy, factories, contracts etc for different regions), the managment of a new section in each region store etc? I don't think so.

I'm not saying that a video out would have been a major selling point, but an extra selling point to some people yes, and i bet that that "some" would have been more than the number of PSTV owners, and even if it was lower, it would have been better anyway because of the lack of money invested into PSTV.

You say that PSTV R&D and manufacture are cheap, do you really think that the few PSTV sales covered those costs + all the PSTV units shipping(with all the different boxes, bureaucracy, factories, contracts etc for different regions), the managment of a new section in each region store etc? I don't think so.

Sony's store management is done by a bunch of partially trained monkeys, and they pay them in bananas. You can't argue that bit as a cost, really - bananas are pretty cheap and the monkeys are those small ones that help people around the house.

Truth.

eFKac

More and more digital.

It's just so damn convenient. And there are incredible sales on PSN, prices better than new retail games will most likely ever drop to (Tomb Raider and Thief in EU currently for example)

Plus as you said discs install fully on the HDD anyway so a big pro is gone for me.

deadfolk

Just pre-ordered Moe(ro) Chronicle with that discount from Play Asia. Dunno if it's going to be any good, but I imagine it will have decent resale value if I don't like it.

autoduelist

If you can enjoy it for the humor you should be fine story-wise IMO, it seems to be mostly the entire point. I don't like idols at all but I've enjoyed it for the humor, and I assume the story isn't particularly going anywhere beyond that.

Fair enough. If the battle system is solid I'll likely play it eventually.

My 'ship date' vita yesasia just switched to the 7th.

Nah, if PSTV was perfect then you would have been probably right, but PSTV is just a terrible attempt to get some sales with an half assed hardware that is not compatible with all the Vita games, you may want to look at it as just an emulation and remote play device, but you can't expect people look only at what you like and not at its entirety.

We just fundamentally disagree. There was absolutely no chance any device that doesn't have all the Vita's functionality could play all games. No alternative to touch screen, for example, could possible get through Uncharted's touch based boss fights.

You take them to task for this, I view it as an acceptable loss for acceptable reasons.

As for the other games that 'should' work, I give them the benefit of the doubt that if it's not accessible on PSTV, there is a reason for it. We may not like the reason, but in most cases there probably is one.

IIRC many people were pissed for the lack of a video out, after all the PSP had it, it was a total downgrade. It's not that rare to read of people that would like to play Vita games on tv screen but don't want to buy a PSTV because of the limitations.

Oh, of course it's a 'nice to have' on a handheld. I just don't think it makes or breaks sales. I mean, I bought all the cables for my PSP to be on tv... but you know what? The PSTV solution is 100x more elegant.

The PSP was already itself a "PSPTV", Vita could have been a PSTV itself without all the costs of the PSTV and the few sales, it could have been a perfect home console even with screen and controls attached.

Yes, certainly, they could have made the Vita have an HDMI out, and they could also have made it sync with a DS3 or 4 for the games that worked for. Heck, they could also have waited a year to release it, and made it powerful enough to run PS2 games. Could of, would of, should of. All that stuff would have increased the price further though, and i have a hard time imagining the fate of the Vita would have been much different.

Cheap does not necessarily mean profitable. I have no idea how many PSTVs they need to move to turn a profit, but I do know converting the vita into a pstv was child's play for sony engineers. Manufacturing would also be cheap.

Ultimately it means they can now sell an entry unit into the vita/ps1/psp ecosystem for well under $100. That's a strong strategic decision, even if it doesn't pay off (though I bet it does).

i just don't agree it's 'mismanagement'. In fact, I view it as a perfect example of what everybody says Sony doesn't do -- supporting the Vita ecosystem. As I've said before, I believe Sony has successfully linked the life cycle of the Vita/PSTV to the life cycle of the PS4 through remote play. That's a good thing for us.

I'm not saying that a video out would have been a major selling point, but an extra selling point to some people yes, and i bet that that "some" would have been more than the number of PSTV owners, and even if it was lower, it would have been better anyway because of the lack of money invested into PSTV.

This is all conjecture, though. And it's also backseat driving -- it's easy to know a device didn't catch on after it didn't catch on. In an alternate universe, people might have flocked to a pocket size vita/psp/PS1/PSNOW/remoteplay device. That they didn't (even at sub $100) tells me those features wouldn't have helped the vita much either.

Shizuka

Just pre-ordered Moe(ro) Chronicle with that discount from Play Asia. Dunno if it's going to be any good, but I imagine it will have decent resale value if I don't like it.

If IFI doesn't mention it on their press event, I'll order one for myself too.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well this is a first. I never thought I'd get stuck on the credits of a game before. But here I am. Seriously what's up with Monsterbag? I cant progress this credits stage.

incpdo

Sup vitacats! Just got a new job after months without one. So that means new vita games and if i can get one a 64 Gb memory card to replace muy old 32g. Im happy!

Shizuka

Sup vitacats! Just got a new job after months without one. So that means new vita games and if i can get one a 64 Gb memory card to replace muy old 32g. Im happy!

Congratulations, I hope you can catch up with the great recent releases.

Top Bottom