• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

Today we get all of the announcements and release dates everyone has been waiting for. Digimon, GE2RB, SAO LS, SK EV... Anyone wanna keep the April 1st dream list going?

TOTP: Back to serious talk, buy Axiom Verge. Game is fantastic, still can't believe it was a one man job.

Prelude.

Play-asia shipped my asian OreShika, let's see if it arrives before Steins;Gate gets a release date. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since i dusted off and plugged the PS3 i decided to download a pair of PS+ games, yesterday i tried Sherlock Holmes Crime and Punishment and holy screen tearing badman!
I'm not one of those who complains about frame rates, screen tearing, loadings etc because i can usually deal with them, but damn in SH:C&P they are almost unbearable! What the hell!

Not surprised. I played the game on the PS4 and, while I enjoyed it, that version was plagued by technical problems, including some of the worst screen tearing I've seen in a video game. Can't even begin to fathom how badly the PS3 version tears in comparison.

bobohoro

Didn't make the wall of shame, again.
Hm.
I gotta work on my posting habits.

I'm really liking my "wait for expanded version" plan for hunting games.

Also, the original Toukiden doesn't have rifles.

My only regret in playing the original is, that they revamped the weapon trees more than I imagined and now I have a bunch of low level swords I need to make for which I may have no use. The completionist in me weeps.

And like always, I have a hard time switching to other weapons I'd like to try since building every sword eats up my resources. Luckily, right at the transition to Ultimate difficulty, there is one weapon tree for every kind that is both good and easy to craft, so I'll start my rifle/club-adventures from there.

Not sure what people expected when its a port of a PSP title that came out ages ago. lol

The hype surrounding Type-0 was one of the strangest things I've ever seen happen. There were so many red flags that you just had to be wary of the game, but it seems a large portion of the players were completely oblivious.

NA version of Toro's Friend Network is shutting down at the end of June. Japanese and Asian versions of the game just went down a day ago.

Is anyone here experiencing control problems with Run Sackboy Run? Occasionally when I tap the screen, the game doesn't recognize it and I end up plowing into some spikes.

Yeah. Not sure if I missed the screen or not. Weird that it doesn't allow physical button presses. Suprised and disappointed it isn't randomized levels. Probably going to get tedious.

Toro Friend Network could have been better. So many tedious notifications. Half of my friends list consists of Toro acquisitions. Most of them play nothing but other free to play games.

SerTapTap

Is it common for Japanese games to have English trophy descriptions and so on? Estival Versus has complete, proper english trophy descriptions. This is unusual because the English on the Playstation home screen is total Engrish ("About New Update Delivery!")

Ambitious

I'd love to buy Axiom Verge, but once again, the PS webstore refuses to load.

Frankly, this blows my mind. I would assume that of all components and systems operated by organisations, the availability and reliability of the ones they actually make money with would be of utmost importance.
Not for Sony, though.

So what now? Do I need to clear my cache or delete my cookies? Do I need to use a different browser? Or do I have to try again later? Why? Why am I supposed to do any of that? I don't have to do this when I buy something from Amazon. Or Steam. Or Apple. Or anywhere else.

Get your shit together, Sony.

SerTapTap

Yeah Webstore isn't loading for me either. PS4 one is. I don't see the Driveclub DLC people are talking about either, unless that's a joke too =/

maouvin

My only regret in playing the original is, that they revamped the weapon trees more than I imagined and now I have a bunch of low level swords I need to make for which I may have no use. The completionist in me weeps.

And like always, I have a hard time switching to other weapons I'd like to try since building every sword eats up my resources. Luckily, right at the transition to Ultimate difficulty, there is one weapon tree for every kind that is both good and easy to craft, so I'll start my rifle/club-adventures from there.

Where did you find the new weapon trees? I've been google translating toukiden.net, but it'll be nice if an english version already exists.

bobohoro

Where did you find the new weapon trees? I've been google translating toukiden.net, but it'll be nice if an english version already exists.

I only have a translated google doc as well: Here you go.

I don't think I've heard from anyone working on a full english one, like the great Mitama doc that's going around. But with a bit of stat-comparing in game, that japanese one is good enough to work with.

The weapon is (obvious spoilers for final boss of Ch. 12)
the Metagnost line with pure raw at the end of each weapon table. It also links into a mitama-forged weapon.

wilflare

Play-asia shipped my asian OreShika, let's see if it arrives before Steins;Gate gets a release date. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the LE or the Vanilla? how much was it + shipping?

---
Run Sackboy Run is fun
just hope there's a patch to improve performance, the slowdowns are quite obvious (come on, make it silky smooth)
and sad that we can't use the facebuttons to jump

Li Kao

Mmh...
Being a multiplat gamer, there is nothing this month that screams day 1. Not that it matter seeing the bazillion games I'm late on and the series I should definitely play from the start (Yakuza, MGS, etc.)
If finances permits, I will surely buy a PS3 or PS4 this month. Probably a PS3 though, Ps4 is still quite costly.

v1perz53

Hmm, so since the suspend/resume update on PS4, I have been having some issues with downloads. Does anyone know if the settings to allow downloads while in rest mode have changed in some way? Last night I bought Axiom Verge on the webstore and hit "download to PS4", expecting it to have downloaded by this morning. But when I just turned my PS4 on (it was in rest mode, mid game) the download started. Used to be that the download would start right when I hit "download to PS4" on the webstore, did any settings change that would be messing this up?

Don't know if it matters, but I had netflix open when I put my PS4 into rest mode. Wish there was an easier way to test this instead of just deleting and reinstalling random games.

E: Also as an aside, whenever I download from the web store to my PS3, the items never leave the queue on the website. They download just fine but always say "waiting" and I have to manually clear the list before downloading new stuff. Is this how it works for everyone?

Did anyone notice that on the current store update From Software's Shadow Tower is up as a PS1 classic. Holy Crap I've been wanting to play this game for ages, now is the time. Wonder if I can play it on vita?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Did anyone notice that on the current store update From Software's Shadow Tower is up as a PS1 classic. Holy Crap I've been wanting to play this game for ages, now is the time. Wonder if I can play it on vita?

It will be hard considering it needs the L2 / R2 to look up / down. Same with the Kings Field titles.

It works on the JP Vita, but no idea if it will work on the US one. Would like to think so though.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not surprised. I played the game on the PS4 and, while I enjoyed it, that version was plagued by technical problems, including some of the worst screen tearing I've seen in a video game. Can't even begin to fathom how badly the PS3 version tears in comparison.

Are character models based on this old Sherlock Holmes telefilm?
she.jpg

If so i'm surprised.

It will be hard considering it needs the L2 / R2 to look up / down. Same with the Kings Field titles.

It works on the JP Vita, but no idea if it will work on the US one. Would like to think so though.

The store says it works with PS3/Vita/Playstation Tv. I might try this on Playstation TV since I can use a controller on it. I'm sure it'll be rough to play this game (PS1 games are pretty rough in general now days) but man I've been waiting since like 2002 to play it when I realized I missed it.
Not sure how Vita itself will handle the L2/R2 (probably the back touch screen which is not great).

Parakeetman

The store says it works with PS3/Vita/Playstation Tv. I might try this on Playstation TV since I can use a controller on it. I'm sure it'll be rough to play this game (PS1 games are pretty rough in general now days) but man I've been waiting since like 2002 to play it when I realized I missed it.
Not sure how Vita itself will handle the L2/R2 (probably the back touch screen which is not great).

Yes its shit trust me. Play it on the PSVTV not the Vita itself as the rear touchpad is fucking worthless lol.

RK128

Today had some great news; we are getting a Dragon Quest game for the Vita (Heroes 2) at some point in the the future and Nintendo system owners with CN can get a great free game :D!

Picked Mario Kart 7 for myself (only own a 2DS) but if you guys don't have DKC:TF and own a Wii U, you have to get DKC:TF through CN if you got platinum :D; great game and one of the Wii U's stand out tittles.

Sorry about talking Nintendo stuff here, but I had to mention that considering this is the thread I am the most attached on on Gaf :).

Anyway, what are your guys views on Toukiden Kiwami? I enjoyed the original demo when that came out but it didn't push me to getting that last year. Considering Monster Hunter never 'clicked' with me, I guess that was why I didn't like it as much as I could have (as Toukiden takes a lot of notes from that series). I'm not getting it anytime soon (only have enough to put toward Axiom Verge Vita, Broken Age, Shovel Knight and Mighty No. 9 this month) but if the reactions to the game are good, I might get it latter on :).

Any answers to that would be really appreciated :D.

Shizuka

It should be, it's listed on the Vita storefront.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I chose the least expensive shipping method hoping to avoid customs so yeah, probably like from 3 to 10 mondays from now.

Vanilla, $36.99.
Which is €34 and just one year ago it was €27. Kinda crazy when you think about it.

I've had such bad luck with their shipping in the past that I just went for the highest this time.

Chuy

Killzone Mercenary online is pretty dead, I guess I won't be able to train before all the PS+ people come in.
It was pretty active last time I was on a couple days ago but granted it was the weekend so that's probably why

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Remember the Aksys tease? It updated
4infinity.jpg

But the thread was closed, should i open a new one?

Benedict

Bought Axiom Verge after reading the developers story on the blog.
Hope I enjoy it, getting some Turrican vibes from what I've seen, even though many mentioned Metroid and Castlevania before.

SerTapTap

Bought Axiom Verge after reading the developers story on the blog.
Hope I enjoy it, getting some Turrican vibes from what I've seen, even though many mentioned Metroid and Castlevania before.

It's sort of a mash up of some concepts but Metroid is certainly the most apparent in terms of exploration and tile-based look. It's an amazing game, hope you enjoy it. I made a guide too should anyone need it.

autoduelist

Glad Oreshika won. Got confused by SSD, though, lol.

I mean, sure, Bloodborne would have been okay too but Oreshika needs the love more, plus, this is vitagaf afterall.

Also fuck this guy/thing/abomination

What game?

Not sure what's different but I'm needing a new stylus now as I usually play non-touch games and don't want to have to clean it each time because Sony requires swiping to unlock the system still.

I can't even imagine using a stylus on my vita. That was reason #2 I sold my 3dsxl (#1 = battery), despite there being a pile of drpgs I wanted to play.

Re: vita -- don't swipe, just 'throw' the corner flap. You barely need to touch your vita to unlock your vita... like, a quarter inch?

Then again, i don't try to keep my vita clean anyway. i don't need screen protectors because I keep all my gadgets covered in a layer of filth.

I wish I liked turn-based combat because everything else about Oreshika looks like I'd love it.

Give the demo a try, maybe? It's got some of the speediest, most streamlined combat I've seen w/o destroying the tactical layer. Make sure you have a gunner for room clearing. A lot of time is spent doing clan management and such -- and due to the way your clan works, you are constantly leveling up characters quickly so combat feels like it races by. The lewt mechanism also makes combat more fun imo.

Parakeetman

Did PS1 classics controls change when remoteplay ones did? The default for remoteplay is 4 front touch corners now, no reartouch

No idea as I dont use remoteplay. But all this time for PS1 classics L2 / R2 has been the rear touchpad. Which in games like Kings Field / Shadow Tower do not work well at all.

SerTapTap

No idea as I dont use remoteplay. But all this time for PS1 classics L2 / R2 has been the rear touchpad. Which in games like Kings Field / Shadow Tower do not work well at all.

Yeah that's what the remoteplay defaults were, but they changed this past month to front touch--still not ideal if you need to press them frequently with good timing, but much better on average than rear touch. I haven't used the PS1 emulator lately to see if anything was different.

Parakeetman

Yeah that's what the remoteplay defaults were, but they changed this past month to front touch--still not ideal if you need to press them frequently with good timing, but much better on average than rear touch. I haven't used the PS1 emulator lately to see if anything was different.

Would be nice if the changes actually meant that they are getting a final vita version ready which will ditch that shit idea of the rear touch pad and include L2 / R2 on there. So the only thing you would need to screw with a front screen for is L3 R3. Analog sticks are too small to include an actual physical feature without putting the hardware reliability at risk. Unless they went and increased the size of the sticks a bit more. Would be a bit of a problem for controls that require movement + holding L3 or R3.

Cha

Killzone Mercenary online is pretty dead, I guess I won't be able to train before all the PS+ people come in.

There's always Botzone (which you have to buy, but it's totally worth it imo).

GotM reminds me that I still have to get back into SSD at some point. I thought game of the month had to be something that released within the previous month. You learn something new every day.

SerTapTap

There's always Botzone (which you have to buy, but it's totally worth it imo).

GotM reminds me that I still have to get back into SSD at some point. I thought game of the month had to be something that released within the previous month. You learn something new every day.

Annoys me they made botzone DLC--me and a friend played the hell out of Killzone 1 with bots. Was fun to play just us and a team of easy bots and try and steamroll through them

Annoys me they made botzone DLC--me and a friend played the hell out of Killzone 1 with bots. Was fun to play just us and a team of easy bots and try and steamroll through them

Better than not including it at all (which I assume was their original plan after it didn't make it into the shipping edition).

Top Bottom