• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

Shizuka

Cool, that will make the Vita version 'free' when that comes out (as it is part of the game's three-way cross buy, it will just activate when it launches). That PS+ glitch tends to happen with games with future cross buy, as tittles like Hotline Miami and Don't Starve did the same thing too (the PS+ version becomes cancelled out with the 'new' version being free).

Do you know other games beyond Hotline Miami and Don't Starve? I'd definitely want to upgrade my PS+ games to free games.

RK128

Do you know other games beyond Hotline Miami and Don't Starve? I'd definitely want to upgrade my PS+ games to free games.

I think Thomas is Alone and Lone Survivor might fall under this, but I am not exactly sure :l

Edit: You could add Resogun to that list to if you want, as the Vita and PS3 versions came out after the PS4 one and that was cross-buy.

Edit 2: Just checked my Vita's services section and their is no PS+ date for Oddworld, Don't Starve, Hotline Miami and Resogun.

Bowl0l

Cool, that will make the Vita version 'free' when that comes out (as it is part of the game's three-way cross buy, it will just activate when it launches). That PS+ glitch tends to happen with games with future cross buy, as tittles like Hotline Miami and Don't Starve did the same thing too (the PS+ version becomes cancelled out with the 'new' version being free).
The glitch didn't work for me. My hotline Miami still have an expiration date..

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
So eu stores are starting to update earlier now? Games like LA cops, infinty runner and the new ac chronicles china are already on the ps4 store (and webstore via search).
They have been updating the store around midnight GMT since January I think. Of course some games get delayed like Shovel Knight right now because SCEE are still SCEE.

VLiberty

I think Thomas is Alone and Lone Survivor might fall under this, but I am not exactly sure :l

Edit: You could add Resogun to that list to if you want, as the Vita and PS3 versions came out after the PS4 one and that was cross-buy.

Edit 2: Just checked my Vita's services section and their is no PS+ date for Oddworld, Don't Starve, Hotline Miami and Resogun.

Lone Survivor isn't crossbuy afaik.

Check Spelunky and Jak and Daxter Trilogy too

Before anyone buys Ziggurat on PS4 (which looks awesome btw), the price on PSN right now is a mistake. It's 18€ but should be 15€ (it's $15 in the US).

MsKgIKP.png

bobohoro

apart from the school setting it really isnt anything like persona.

School setting is synoym to Persona by now it seems. I can't wait for the time people start asking their kids how their day in Persona was.

Only gave it a 30min test run, enough to beat the first level and explore some town. If you told me this was an NES game I would believe you, it's got that classic feel.

All this NES nostalgia is so alien to me because I started gaming on a SNES/Gameboy. My older cousin had a NES with some games and I never had any fun with it as a kid. But maybe I'll finally give Shovel Knight a try on the Vita.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus on Vita for £3.50? Sure, cool.

Edit: Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars is £1.48 (with PS+, PSP but works on Vita) too. Has both Crazy Taxi 1 and 2 and adhoc multiplayer, which I've never actually played. 2 has a slightly dodgy framerate and it doesn't have the original soundtracks, but I'd still recommend a buy for that price.

Tizoc

All this NES nostalgia is so alien to me because I started gaming on a SNES/Gameboy. My older cousin had a NES with some games and I never had any fun with it as a kid. But maybe I'll finally give Shovel Knight a try on the Vita.

Even if you don't have nostalgia for NES games, you can still enjoy it because of the gameplay and overall stage structure. dESPITE its inspirations from NES era, it condenses video gaming into one of its truest simple forms.

Only gave it a 30min test run, enough to beat the first level and explore some town. If you told me this was an NES game I would believe you, it's got that classic feel.

Psssst....you can break the checkpoints for some extra gold ;P

Kudo

Hooked up my PS2 and been playing Valkyrie Profile 2 since I never played it and got hyped for tri-Ace thanks to the Star Ocean 5 announcement, damn this game is great.
Is there any way to play the first on PS Vita? I read there's PSP remake of it but didn't see it in store.

bobohoro

Hooked up my PS2 and been playing Valkyrie Profile 2 since I never played it and got hyped for tri-Ace thanks to the Star Ocean 5 announcement, damn this game is great.
Is there any way to play the first on PS Vita? I read there's PSP remake of it but didn't see it in store.

Sadly no, I think the PSP version is not available on any PSN store and there is no PSone classic.

It's a shame that I played both VP games in a time in my life where I just didn't have much drive for video games and rarely finished any of them. I got halfway through VP1 and a bit further into VP2, enjoyed both, but lost interest anyhow. One of these days I'll fire them up again, still holding out for an eventual HD-collection, please!

Me too! Just started playing it yesterday after having it in the backlog for many years. Very good game so far.

RK128

So how y'all scrubs finding Shovel Knight?

Like I mentioned in prior posts, I love the game so far :). The game looks like something right out of the NES era and that alongside a great soundtrack, strong level design and rock solid controls all make is so much fun to play so far :D. So glad this finally landed on PlayStation platforms.

RK128

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is Ray Gigant coming stateside?

No official word yet from Bandai Namco. Experience Inc would not do any sort of announcement in regards to localization as its not what they do.

But seeing how aggressive Bandai Namco has been lately would not be surprised if it shows up eventually.

Seeing how there is a mini DRPG boom in the West with various companies bringing out stuff most def Bandai Namco would want to get in on that.

For future titles that Id imagine to be release by NISA which would keep the Exp Inc brand name out there would be Operation Abyss which is in June, Operation Babel (unannounced for the West, comes out 30th Japan), Stranger of Sword City (unannounced for the West, out already in Japan), Demon Gaze 2 (unconfirmed West, still being worked on in Japan with Kadokawa)

Most def the next title that NISA will be doing for the Exp Inc brand would be SoSC, since they know how many people are waiting for that one based off of the artwork alone. Though I wonder if they would do an announcement on that during the E3 before Operation Abyss comes out. Since the game is already out you would think that NISA is already working on the title if they do in fact have it.

Anyways with that side bit about future titles developed by Exp Inc goes to show that as long as they remain popular gives Bandai Namco a platform for them to stand on for a reason to launch Ray Gigant in the West.

Nudull

Banned
Reading up about the new Taiko Vita game really makes me miss the series here in the West. Did the localized game(s) ever sell well overseas?

SerTapTap

Reading up about the new Taiko Vita game really makes me miss the series here in the West. Did the localized game(s) ever sell well overseas?

Wasn't the last localized one like PS2 era? Not like it's sales numbers are relevant to how well it'd do anymore. I was kinda tempted but it's a pretty pricy import for a series I'm only curious about.

Ohnonono

No official word yet from Bandai Namco. Experience Inc would not do any sort of announcement in regards to localization as its not what they do.

But seeing how aggressive Bandai Namco has been lately would not be surprised if it shows up eventually.

Seeing how there is a mini DRPG boom in the West with various companies bringing out stuff most def Bandai Namco would want to get in on that.

For future titles that Id imagine to be release by NISA which would keep the Exp Inc brand name out there would be Operation Abyss which is in June, Operation Babel (unannounced for the West, comes out 30th Japan), Stranger of Sword City (unannounced for the West, out already in Japan), Demon Gaze 2 (unconfirmed West, still being worked on in Japan with Kadokawa)

Most def the next title that NISA will be doing for the Exp Inc brand would be SoSC, since they know how many people are waiting for that one based off of the artwork alone. Though I wonder if they would do an announcement on that during the E3 before Operation Abyss comes out. Since the game is already out you would think that NISA is already working on the title if they do in fact have it.

Anyways with that side bit about future titles developed by Exp Inc goes to show that as long as they remain popular gives Bandai Namco a platform for them to stand on for a reason to launch Ray Gigant in the West.

I really was feeling Demon Gaze and took a break and kind of lost my game flow because of it. That said I really was enjoying it. I hope there are more games of that quality coming in that genre. I feel like if I was to beat one of them I would really start to feel the rest of them (this happened with Mystery Dungeon games.)

Parakeetman

I really was feeling Demon Gaze and took a break and kind of lost my game flow because of it. That said I really was enjoying it. I hope there are more games of that quality coming in that genre. I feel like if I was to beat one of them I would really start to feel the rest of them (this happened with Mystery Dungeon games.)

DC is general when you take a long break from them and come back its a bit harder to get back into the flow. Even more so if you kinda forget what you were doing lol.

Demon Gaze is not that hard to beat as long as you just stick with it. Game does give you a lot of tools to do it also. Since the whole demon system adds a lot of positives for the player with the extra skills they offer and being pretty much a 6th party member.

The upcoming Operation Abyss too might actually be less "stress" to beat than Demon Gaze, just because you do not have to mess around with those summoning circles and gems for those who did not like that system.

Ohnonono

DC is general when you take a long break from them and come back its a bit harder to get back into the flow. Even more so if you kinda forget what you were doing lol.

Demon Gaze is not that hard to beat as long as you just stick with it. Game does give you a lot of tools to do it also. Since the whole demon system adds a lot of positives for the player with the extra skills they offer and being pretty much a 6th party member.

The upcoming Operation Abyss too might actually be less "stress" to beat than Demon Gaze, just because you do not have to mess around with those summoning circles and gems for those who did not like that system.

You seem to be the person on GAF listen to on this genre to I will defer to you. OA will certainly have another sale. Plus that other one that is a little fanservice full that you seemed to recommend. I am following your lead duder. Don't let me down!

Shizuka

Here you go:

oa_pe_1_1.jpg

Same publisher, same developer, just as great as Demon Gaze.

Can You Zanadu and Bat Batter Battest need to be OT titles or I will never forgive GAF

Man I don't even remember the last time I even heard of this series. I had no idea there were so many games.

Parakeetman

You seem to be the person on GAF listen to on this genre to I will defer to you. OA will certainly have another sale. Plus that other one that is a little fanservice full that you seemed to recommend. I am following your lead duder. Don't let me down!

One thing though is the game is not as narrative heavy as Demon Gaze since they are going off a general script from their first series Generation Xth. There is a story though, just that the general interaction with the characters and event scenes is not as frequent as Demon Gaze for example.

The general combat and use of the classes is the same, along with combat. Though there are 3 classes which are unique to the game and not in Demon Gaze which is the Scholar, Monk and Summoner. The Monk and Summoner you get later on in the story as you progress.

The Scholar is more of a support role but has skills that are highly useful such as identifying items and being able to disarm chests.

While I do not have 2 item lists to compare Operation Abyss most def felt like it had more general loot than Demon Gaze. You will be fighting a lot also to collect these equipment to identify and resources to assist with the upgrading / building of said items.

The whole system with the building / breaking down / upgrading of items will be a little odd at first and some will call it "obtuse" since they did not change it at all from the original, on top of no real heavy explanation on what to do with it outside of the simple introductory so will take some people time to get used to it. Also the various stats and effects of said items. Seeing how that was one thing some people had issues with in Demon Gaze as those were not exactly explained either.

The other issue that some folks might bring up with the combat is due to the way the enemy designs look it will be hard to tell what they might be weak against so with that in mind wasting some turns figuring it out can potentially get your party killed depending on what you are fighting. Has to do more with the "sci-fi" looking enemies.

The only real "difficult" thing with the title would be the instances where *dont read the spoiler if you want to keep the experience fresh, but its not plot related
is having to fight 2 boss fights in a row.

In regards to the fanservice stuff the game is pretty much 95% fan service free, what could be considered fanservice is hardly anything in comparison to Demon Gaze. So people concerned about that will not have to worry.

To close everything off if you like the combat style and game design of Demon Gaze (granted some mechanics will be different) you should have a good time with Operation Abyss. Plus get to see what their first series was like design wise. As Op Abyss is a remake basically as mentioned at the start of this post. The setting being something "modern" is what might attract others as there have been comments from folks who were not too interested in DG due to the fantasy setting.

Sorry one last thing is folks will wonder why some assets look old, it is because the game does use stuff from the PC version though there has also been artwork redone specifically for the remake such as with the characters and some monster designs among other things such as sound assets used. Exp Inc is not a large company so the titles that they do themselves they reuses assets often to help keep down costs and production time.

On the flip side for those who did not enjoy Demon Gaze due to gameplay reasons or how the game is designed would suggest you steer clear from Operation Abyss also as the gameplay is still very similar. Unless it was something more superficial that was not liked about the game such as the fanservice scenes or the fantasy setting and in that case would suggest just holding off till you know if you really want to get it or not rather than saying go take the plunge and pick it up just because.

Can You Zanadu and Bat Batter Battest need to be OT titles or I will never forgive GAF

Man I don't even remember the last time I even heard of this series. I had no idea there were so many games.

Hopefully Aeana will use that "Can you Xanadu" for the OT subtitle since she is considering doing the import OT. Which I hope she does do. Since one thing for sure is the hardcore falcom crew at GAF they do great work with the OTs and make sure folks are kept up to speed with info bout the titles in them.

RK128

Lone Survivor isn't crossbuy afaik.

Check Spelunky and Jak and Daxter Trilogy too

I didn't get those through Plus (the former I got when it was sale early 2014 while the latter both didn't have cross-buy in NA and I got that last month during the PS Vita Birthday Sale).

Spelunky did get future cross-buy with PS4 though, so if you got the PS+ version in the past, the game is part of that 'glitch'. With the Jak Collection in EU, if you got that through Plus on Vita, then you got the PS3 version for free as well.

Shizuka

I didn't get those through Plus (the former I got when it was sale early 2014 while the latter both didn't have cross-buy in NA and I got that last month during the PS Vita Birthday Sale).

Spelunky did get future cross-buy with PS4 though, so if you got the PS+ version in the past, the game is part of that 'glitch'. With the Jak Collection in EU, if you got that through Plus on Vita, then you got the PS3 version for free as well.

After doing the "glitch" with Oddworld, the store doesn't let me get the other games in the same situation like Whoa Dave and Spelunky.

Ohnonono

One thing though is the game is not as narrative heavy as Demon Gaze since they are going off a general script from their first series Generation Xth. There is a story though, just that the general interaction with the characters and event scenes is not as frequent as Demon Gaze for example.

The general combat and use of the classes is the same, along with combat. Though there are 3 classes which are unique to the game and not in Demon Gaze which is the Scholar, Monk and Summoner. The Monk and Summoner you get later on in the story as you progress.

The Scholar is more of a support role but has skills that are highly useful such as identifying items and being able to disarm chests.

While I do not have 2 item lists to compare Operation Abyss most def felt like it had more general loot than Demon Gaze. You will be fighting a lot also to collect these equipment to identify and resources to assist with the upgrading / building of said items.

The whole system with the building / breaking down / upgrading of items will be a little odd at first and some will call it "obtuse" since they did not change it at all from the original, on top of no real heavy explanation on what to do with it outside of the simple introductory so will take some people time to get used to it. Also the various stats and effects of said items. Seeing how that was one thing some people had issues with in Demon Gaze as those were not exactly explained either.

The other issue that some folks might bring up with the combat is due to the way the enemy designs look it will be hard to tell what they might be weak against so with that in mind wasting some turns figuring it out can potentially get your party killed depending on what you are fighting. Has to do more with the "sci-fi" looking enemies.

The only real "difficult" thing with the title would be the instances where *dont read the spoiler if you want to keep the experience fresh, but its not plot related
is having to fight 2 boss fights in a row.

In regards to the fanservice stuff the game is pretty much 95% fan service free, what could be considered fanservice is hardly anything in comparison to Demon Gaze. So people concerned about that will not have to worry.

Hopefully Aeana will use that "Can you Zanadu" for the OT subtitle since she is considering doing the import OT.

Yeah OA looks great, and the facservicey game I was talking about was some other game in a recent thread I just can not remember the name. It is one you thought would never get localized. I loved Demon Gaze, and still do, but its just hard to sit down with it after taking a break. I really don't care much about story in these games as long as they present a workable and reliable workflow that leads to progress. Story is nice, but DC games really carry it on combat and character options. The narrative can exist totally in my head if it has to.

RK128

After doing the "glitch" with Oddworld, the store doesn't let me get the other games in the same situation like Whoa Dave and Spelunky.

I checked my Vita download list and it still has Whoa Dave and Spelunky as part of my download list.

Whoa Dave is giving me the same issue as you are describing, so I assume that the PS Store is bugging out or something.

Parakeetman

That is it! Thanks!

Yeah thats another one that gameplay, content and mechanics wise will have DRPG fans quite satisfied. But as mentioned the only unfortunate bar of entry is putting up with the fan service type of scenes.

Thankfully the game does not go the route of like screen rubbing and such. Its just more the event scenes and after defeating a boss.

But the characters are so well done am sure folks should find it enjoyable. Its nice that it wont be dubbed either as personally on a budget I doubt they could have found VAs that would have been able to put out a worthy performance without ruining the characters.

People will freak out when they see how many skills there are to spend your skill points in. Esp the fact that there are multiple jobs for the various characters in the game. And your skill points can be spent in previous unlocked jobs also including the current selected one.

Also game has a load of end game content for the hardcore fans which should put up a good challenge. Though requires lots of grinding though thats why said content is geared towards the more hardcore crowd that loves that sort of stuff. That and pretty much if you dont do that the bosses would pound you into the ground lol

If you are curious about the characters in the game click on the icons to see their profiles in English.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=901532

I do hope that Dungeon Travelers 2 sells well in the West so when Dungeon Travelers 2-2 comes out you guys will be able to play that also. Am unsure if they would do the first title in the series "To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers" since the To Heart series never came out in the West so not sure how they would market it outside also how the licensing works with that one as its characters from another series. If the OVA of To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers made it to the US then I suppose it could happen, but since I dont follow the US anime scene am unsure if the OVA got localized & thrown up on streaming sites.

That was the first game that actually got me to play more fanservice oriented titles or at least consider looking at some as long as there is no touch screen mechanics involved being that I literally HATE anything touch screen related for the most part. With that aside really was impressed with the amount of quality put into the dungeons and game system with the character advancement as while they are pre-set story characters the amount of skills and classes gave you the player a real feel of raising characters to your play style. Which drives the whole desire to level up to gain another skill point, which basically helps keep the player advancing in the game. Instead of for example the more traditional design where it is set skill at set level. Since once you basically reach all of those skills level wise the desire to level up your character drops off as then it just simply becomes a stats game more or less, then you will have to rely more on just gear hunting alone to keep the player interested. Or a sub design such as optional skills that can be equipped from a different mechanic with the characters such as the artifact system for Demon Gaze.

While on a different game topic, but related to what am speaking of in the previous paragraph for Stranger of Sword City the way they did character advancement is the standard set skill at set level, but the game changer is that you can change your class up to 5 times and during that time you can level other classes to gain specific skills to equip onto your character after changing classes. So gives you more the feeling of having customized classes that you tailored to your tastes giving you a much greater attachment to them. That goes with the game system too about the character permadeath, grinding it into your mind that you need to keep these characters you tailored alive or else feel the regret of losing all that time & effort put into raising them lol.

Basically its two different design schools with the pre-set vs. player choice with character skills and the end users are broken up into the side that likes the freedom of selection, where others just enjoy having not to think and play the game.

Ohnonono

Yeah thats another one that gameplay, content and mechanics wise will have DRPG fans quite satisfied. But as mentioned the only unfortunate bar of entry is putting up with the fan service type of scenes.

Thankfully the game does not go the route of like screen rubbing and such. Its just more the event scenes and after defeating a boss.

But the characters are so well done am sure folks should find it enjoyable. Its nice that it wont be dubbed either as personally on a budget I doubt they could have found VAs that would have been able to put out a worthy performance without ruining the characters.

People will freak out when they see how many skills there are to spend your skill points in. Esp the fact that there are multiple jobs for the various characters in the game. And your skill points can be spent in previous unlocked jobs also including the current selected one.

Also game has a load of end game content for the hardcore fans which should put up a good challenge. Though requires lots of grinding though thats why said content is geared towards the more hardcore crowd that loves that sort of stuff. That and pretty much if you dont do that the bosses would pound you into the ground lol

If you are curious about the characters in the game click on the icons to see their profiles in English.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=901532

Fanservice, especially in the way it has been shown in that game does not scare me away (I played tons of SK:SV) so if you say it is solid I am down.

Parakeetman

Fanservice, especially in the way it has been shown in that game does not scare me away (I played tons of SK:SV) so if you say it is solid I am down.

The writing is quite good and some of the event scenes that appear in the dungeons with the Beard and Peggy in particular are hilarious.

DSKSIvaJbm6cWienGuH6krAbP3LpiTu6.png

Also the Maid Sensei tutorials the dialog is great.

Will be interesting to see how they localize those in English. The game is quite self aware which is great.

Am sure those 3 characters will become fairly popular in the West if the localization is done well.

Seeing how Maid Sensei is a reoccurring character in the series Ive always wanted her as an actual playable character. There is always hope for DT2-2 but wont hold my breath over it.

SerTapTap

Sounds good, though the lots of skills thing sounds intimidating. Glad about the no screen rubbing thing, not because it's offensive but because it's boring.

Will be interesting to see how they localize those in English. The game is quite self aware which is great.

That's a plus too

Top Bottom