• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

Shizuka

If I'm not mistaken, there were websites that used to do that. Estarland is one that still does, but I don't think they have the memory card you're looking for there.

Li Kao

I just realized if Steins;Gate is late in NA I will have to import an EU version... which is to say, order from where I already live. I swear region lock will drive me mad.

Was there DLC for the Japanese version ? I don't think so but it never hurts to ask.
Oh and by chance, did Sony facilitate the memory card from different region switching ? I heard you had to endure the Vita intro and that it messes up you icons order.

Been awhile since I played the game but spam the defense buff as much as possible In the beginning.
Also he can be inflicted with poison if i remember correctly so use a weapon that has poison chance equipped to it.
I cheesed him by saving yojimbo for his final form and then wrecking his business.

Hmm just looked up how to get yojimbo and it doesn't look too hard. Will try both your tips, thanks!

Shizuka

I just realized if Steins;Gate is late in NA I will have to import an EU version... which is to say, order from where I already live. I swear region lock will drive me mad.

Was there DLC for the Japanese version ? I don't think so but it never hurts to ask.
Oh and by chance, did Sony facilitate the memory card from different region switching ? I heard you had to endure the Vita intro and that it messes up you icons order.

No DLC, go for it.

Takao

Banned
http://www.4gamer.net/games/285/G028562/20150423041/
VhPYdyD.jpg
5Pq7DCg.jpg

L52TMBK.jpg
BbnNMh2.jpg
tE9xotP.jpg
Fsif2wo.jpg
PMI5YSD.jpg
ilhwq0L.jpg
d9M7fEy.jpg
WdDE8z3.jpg

FDC1

What is the situation of Metal Slug 3 in Europe? Apparently, only the PS4 version has been released, no sign of a Vita version. It's supposed to be cross-buy, right?

Li Kao

So guys, is the PSTV built-in storage stupidly deactivated when you put a memory card in, like on Vita 2000 if memory serves ?
I still have the little guy in its packaging and struggling to find its purpose in my house. I suppose I could make it my EU Vita, or even my multi-region Vita if the thing isn't has annoying as a real Vita in this case.

Its too bad its not Summon Knight 3 or 4 since 5 was literally the worst in the series... :/

CoH3 isnt too bad though, wonder if it will still have a bunch of bugs and whatnots.
From what I have been reading, folks seem to say that SK5 is hard as heck. As for CoH, I've been getting the games but unlike other DRPGs, I just drop it after a few days. Maybe I'll get this one, but there's already so many quality DRPGs coming that this one is probably gonna get buried for me.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
From what I have been reading, folks seem to say that SK5 is hard as heck. As for CoH, I've been getting the games but unlike other DRPGs, I just drop it after a few days. Maybe I'll get this one, but there's already so many quality DRPGs coming that this one is probably gonna get buried for me.

Its just bad the hard part is making yourself sit there to play the game. Since compared to the previous titles is just real lacking in all aspects outside of the general character design.

Its just bad the hard part is making yourself sit there to play the game. Since compared to the previous titles is just real lacking in all aspects outside of the general character design.
Kind of a shame since they are fighting the good fight, still pumping PSP content out. I'm sure enough people will buy it since his business model is pretty smart, gauging interest first, printing copies later, but it would be nice to see something a little better making it over this way. Hopefully it does well enough though, and these could be the stepping stones to something much bigger and better in months/years to come.

bobohoro

Its too bad its not Summon Knight 3 or 4 since 5 was literally the worst in the series... :/

CoH3 isnt too bad though, wonder if it will still have a bunch of bugs and whatnots.

I remember reading similar things in regards to the SN series, but since it's still regarded as a very solid game and I always wanted to try one I'm probably down for it if it doesn't release in a busy time slot.

CoH really has the unfortunate fate (or maybe it turns out to be luck) of releasing in what seems to be the busiest year for western DRPG fans since forever. It's definitely on my radar, but like Names it's below Operation Abyss or Dungeon Travelers 2 on my list, and since DRPGs are draining I don't know how many I can stomach in the span of a year or two.

I remember reading similar things in regards to the SN series, but since it's still regarded as a very solid game and I always wanted to try one I'm probably down for it if it doesn't release in a busy time slot.

CoH really has the unfortunate fate (or maybe it turns out to be luck) of releasing in what seems to be the busiest year for western DRPG fans since forever. It's definitely on my radar, but like Names it's below Operation Abyss or Dungeon Travelers 2 on my list, and since DRPGs are draining I don't know how many I can stomach in the span of a year or two.
Yeah, DRPGs are content-heavy games. I can do 2 or 3 just fine, but considering how there's even more RPGs in the horizon like Lost Dimension, Persona 5 and probably even more since E3 and such are coming, I just cannot justify buying more RPGs that could potentially burn me out and stop me from playing these other great games.

As it stands, Operation Abyss, Lost Dimension and Dungeon Travelers are my Summer RPG games, I'm going to be pretty busy as is lol. Maybe later on, if there is a DRPG drought after we get so many, I'll take a bite, but until then, no thanks. Best of luck to them though!

Parakeetman

Kind of a shame since they are fighting the good fight, still pumping PSP content out. I'm sure enough people will buy it since his business model is pretty smart, gauging interest first, printing copies later, but it would be nice to see something a little better making it over this way. Hopefully it does well enough though, and these could be the stepping stones to something much bigger and better in months/years to come.

You would think with how niche it is that they would be a bit more careful with what they select. While the CoH is fine SN on the other hand is just a bad buy. Then again its not like most folks in the West know any better considering the other games never came out so would imagine that they are banking on that. Plus less work for the localization compared to 3 / 4. 3 for sure would have been a lot of work with. Though folks who still would have cared about PSP titles would have most def enjoyed 3 or 4 more just due to content and design.

But man am sad that folks first experience will be with the worst game in the series.

Tizoc

You would think with how niche it is that they would be a bit more careful with what they select. While the CoH is fine SN on the other hand is just a bad buy. Then again its not like most folks in the West know any better considering the other games never came out so would imagine that they are banking on that. Plus less work for the localization compared to 3 / 4. 3 for sure would have been a lot of work with. Though folks who still would have cared about PSP titles would have most def enjoyed 3 or 4 more just due to content and design.

But man am sad that folks first experience will be with the worst game in the series.

What exactly is bad about it from a gameplay point of view?

deadfolk

So guys, is the PSTV built-in storage stupidly deactivated when you put a memory card in, like on Vita 2000 if memory serves ?
I still have the little guy in its packaging and struggling to find its purpose in my house. I suppose I could make it my EU Vita, or even my multi-region Vita if the thing isn't has annoying as a real Vita in this case.

Guess?

Yes.

Parakeetman

What exactly is bad about it from a gameplay point of view?

Its boring. Feels like a budget title that they went and slapped together along with the name and number then kicked it out the door in hopes of tricking fans.

Even more so if you came from the previous titles.

Game is not like its pure shit, but at the same time its still the worst in the main line series content / gameplay wise.

Some folks may enjoy it, but they really design wise in comparison its like bread & water vs a full course meal.

SerTapTap

As a heads up, if you're a completionist of any sort you'll want a guide for *w* Quintet. True ending is absurdly missable. I really don't know why JRPGs have such a hard-on for letting you permanently damage your save early on. Doubly infuriating because the game does quite a few nice things to eliminate JRPG time-waste...then it does missable quests with permanent late game consequences.

What were you really going to use that 1GB of memory for? It's basically for saves that require memory card only. I don't really know why built-in memory is even a thing instead of including a memory card.

BB Chrono Phantasma Extend PSVita size is 5.1GB.

One more failed vita cart preorder, it seems, LOL.

Expected I guess, didn't they say long ago it was too big for a cart?

Li Kao

What were you really going to use that 1GB of memory for? It's basically for saves that require memory card only. I don't really know why built-in memory is even a thing instead of including a memory card.

Eh, you've got a point there. Still at the premium where Vita memory cards are sold, 1gb is 1gb.

Li Kao

As a heads up, if you're a completionist of any sort you'll want a guide for *w* Quintet. True ending is absurdly missable. I really don't know why JRPGs have such a hard-on for letting you permanently damage your save early on. Doubly infuriating because the game does quite a few nice things to eliminate JRPG time-waste...then it does missable quests with permanent late game consequences.

Also, fuck :-/
Never tried an IF title and was really toying with the idea of beginning with *w* Quintet. I don't like fan service but your praise of the battle system got me intrigued.
But boy do I hate this habit of Japanese dev to hide true ending behind some obscure condition. I think I have found a Japanese wiki detailing the thing but with google translate, I'm iffy.

autoduelist

It sounds like it was just a bit divisive more than straight up bad?

From the SK wiki, I found this [mistake ridden, but I'm assuming English as a second language]:

RECEPTION
"The game have done well in sales, it was the highest-selling game during it's first weak, selling over 100,000 copies and remaining in the Top 5 for many weaks later. The game had great reviews from profitional sites and magazines, like Famitsu, who gave a score of 32/40 for the game, a considerably high score for the magazine. Reviewer praised how the game became more modern by pratically changing everything about the story and setting, but even so, it kept the same "feeling" from the classic games, giving a nostalgic sensation for old time fans. Those reviewers also loved the Live 2D animations and the replayability value of the game, worthing over 100 hours of gameplay.

However, fans opinions about this new game were not some good. The majority of the complains were related with time restraints or disk space like the number of units and summons or how the system . Some other complains were related with the PSP hardware spec limitations, like how the game doesn't support more than 5 playable character during the same battle. There were also some fans that didn't like some of the technical aspects of the system, like how the class system limited some very useful skills only to impractical classes. The Live 2D was not some loved by fans as it had some awkward animations (like some times when mouths don't get closed during long dialogs). There was also a protest for the absence of CG events that were present on the PSP remakes for 3 & 4, but not on this 5th title. There was even long discussions among fans that felt the game was being too much like Summon Night 3, against those who defended the originality of the title. On the other hand, the characters and story were very praised by both old time fans and new players. The multi-ending with some few differences for gender or affection points with specific characters were also loved by every player. The graphics impressed many as it was of very high quality for the hardware.

In the end. Fans agreeded about this being a good new start for the series, making them hope for new titles to fix all the problems in this game, but keeping all the good parts.
http://summonnight.wikia.com/wiki/Summon_Night_5

Honestly, it sounds it sounds more like it just pissed off some fans of the franchise, but wasn't exactly 'bad' itself. I don't really care if there are some 'awkward animations' and I certainly don't care if there are less 'CG events'. I'll give it a go, most likely. Unless a game franchise completely changes genres I'm generally pretty forgiving of changes [especially when I haven't even played the others]. The only thing I don't like hearing about are 'time constraints'.... not sure what is meant by that.

Other things, like 'some very useful skills were limited to impractical classes' is also fine by me -- I mean, that's a reason to run those classes. I don't think every class needs to be equal, and it's nice when an otherwise 'lesser' class has some cool perks.

Parakeetman

It sounds like it was just a bit divisive more than straight up bad?

From the SK wiki, I found this [mistake ridden, but I'm assuming English as a second language]:

http://summonnight.wikia.com/wiki/Summon_Night_5

Honestly, it sounds it sounds more like it just pissed off some fans of the franchise, but wasn't exactly 'bad' itself. I don't really care if there are some 'awkward animations' and I certainly don't care if there are less 'CG events'. I'll give it a go, most likely. Unless a game franchise completely changes genres I'm generally pretty forgiving of changes [especially when I haven't even played the others]. The only thing I don't like hearing about are 'time constraints'.... not sure what is meant by that.

Other things, like 'some very useful skills were limited to impractical classes' is also fine by me -- I mean, that's a reason to run those classes. I don't think every class needs to be equal, and it's nice when an otherwise 'lesser' class has some cool perks.

The issue is content wise the game is bare bones. And the map designs are the most bland things ever when compared to not only the 4 previous games but generally any SRPG title.

Its not something Id pay full price for. If folks want to play it if you can get around 20 then sure, but Id hate to tell fellow gamers to go run out there and spend their hard earned cash on a title that is not up to par. Even more so considering the titles we have coming down the line which would most def give people a more complete experience for their money.

The game is not shit, but at the same time its not something you need to buy right away either unless you are some hardcore fan of the company who localized it or just have too much money to burn. At least the other title they are bringing out isnt too bad. Though if folks would enjoy that one or not depends if they like the art style. As a dungeon crawler it does its job and comes from back when Zero Div took a little more effort with their titles.

SerTapTap

Also, fuck :-/
Never tried an IF title and was really toying with the idea of beginning with *w* Quintet. I don't like fan service but your praise of the battle system got me intrigued.
But boy do I hate this habit of Japanese dev to hide true ending behind some obscure condition. I think I have found a Japanese wiki detailing the thing but with google translate, I'm iffy.

There's english discussion on GameFAQs, calls out the worst choke points. The biggest thing is to absolutely never advance the story until doing all sidequests (more annoyingly, some side quests are hidden until your approval goes up enough). Knowing that it's not too bad, but I learned this all too late and I'm pretty annoyed.

The Neptunia games have very little missable content so I really don't know why they decided to toss this in. There's a new game + too so it's not the worst thing in the world to replay on a harder difficulty for True End, but missables still seem like arbitrary punishment for not buying a game guide. The game does a decent job of eliminating a fair amount of JRPG fluff (walk speed is fast, no random encounters, menu based towns, fast travel on maps), then they shove in missables just to ruin the streak of being player-friendly.

Tohsaka

There's english discussion on GameFAQs, calls out the worst choke points. The biggest thing is to absolutely never advance the story until doing all sidequests (more annoyingly, some side quests are hidden until your approval goes up enough). Knowing that it's not too bad, but I learned this all too late and I'm pretty annoyed.

The Neptunia games have very little missable content so I really don't know why they decided to toss this in. There's a new game + too so it's not the worst thing in the world to replay on a harder difficulty for True End, but missables still seem like arbitrary punishment for not buying a game guide. The game does a decent job of eliminating a fair amount of JRPG fluff (walk speed is fast, no random encounters, menu based towns, fast travel on maps), then they shove in missables just to ruin the streak of being player-friendly.
Thanks for the heads-up, I just had a look at that thread. Hopefully I don't have issues getting the true ending, I really don't like having to play long games multiple times for stuff like that.

VLiberty

Crossposting for the fellow cats since it has a Vita goal: Formula Fusion kickstarter

It's a wipeout-like game made by former wipeout devs + The Designers Republic.

If it comes to consoles I'm so in. If it eventually manages to come to Vita, I'll swim in a river of tears (of joy)

edit: it's worth noting, as I pointed in the OP of the other thread, that the initial goal doesn't guarantee the full development of the game (regardless of the platform). £150k is very likely what they need, judging from the stretch goals. 350k for PS4/One, 400k for Vita

HGH

Banned
Well really, it's the other way around. IF have always had incredibly dickish conditions to unlock good/true endings. It's just Neptunia had them way, waaay simpler. This is kind of a return to form.
I'm gonna guess the Normal ending is horribly disappointing and just sorta stops without resolution, eh? Possibly an "everyone dies"?

How's the NG+ stuff handle by the way?

Li Kao

Do the hidden side-quests have things like a grayed out "???" to show you you need to work on your approval or do you really want a side-quest list to play the game ?
And about the true ending, well it don't change my opinion as I really never liked the idea of depriving less skilled or knowledgeable players of the good stuff, but it seems like it's particularly bad in this game : one of the few reviews insists on the complete shittyness of the normal ending. I mean, for a review to say this, it must be something.

SerTapTap

Thanks for the heads-up, I just had a look at that thread. Hopefully I don't have issues getting the true ending, I really don't like having to play long games multiple times for stuff like that.

It's a pretty long game but like Neptunia it's probably quite quick to blast through a second time...though it's got far more time-sensitive busy-work so maybe I shouldn't assume. I think that gamefaqs thread will set you right but I'm pretty sure my save is already SOL so I don't think I can confirm (I'm in chapter 7 or 8, not done yet).

I don't think I'd be so annoyed if I were totally aware from the start, but I didn't even notice until too late that quests were easily failable by progressing the story, and I didn't notice until even later that missable quests have pretty major rewards (fortunately I didn't miss the field travel speed upgrade--gotta go fast).

IFI's work still feels a bit low budget--there's still lots of less-important scenes with missing English VA (JP is fully voiced), and the quest descriptions are confusing (I still have no idea what the time on the time limit means). Actual dialog is fine, quest descriptions are fine, but random crap is confusing for no reason--some quests you have to pay money to complete, and their objective is written as "Other EP 50000" (what it actually means is "pay me 50000 EP").

Overall they're making good games but they could really do with an extra layer of polish on both the original game and the localization pass.

Do the hidden side-quests have things like a grayed out "???" to show you you need to work on your approval or do you really want a side-quest list to play the game ?
And about the true ending, well it don't change my opinion as I really never liked the idea of depriving less skilled or knowledgeable players of the good stuff, but it seems like it's particularly bad in this game : one of the few reviews insists on the complete shittyness of the normal ending. I mean, for a review to say this, it must be something.

I believe the sidequests are just straight up not there until you have the approval rating which is of course a really unfortunate way to handle it. Feels less like it's based on skill/effort and more like it's based on knowing their particular brand of BS.

And yeah, I've heard bad things about the normal ending (which I'm probably going to get) but I didn't read why due to spoilers.

Well really, it's the other way around. IF have always had incredibly dickish conditions to unlock good/true endings. It's just Neptunia had them way, waaay simpler. This is kind of a return to form.
I'm gonna guess the Normal ending is horribly disappointing and just sorta stops without resolution, eh? Possibly an "everyone dies"?

How's the NG+ stuff handle by the way?

I've mostly only played Neptunia stuff from IF so that's my main frame of reference...my review constantly compares to Neptunia because, well, same basic engine, fairly overlapping appeal at multiple levels.

It's some sort of Tales-esque thing where you pick what to carry over based on Coins (found from treasure spots, stolen from bosses) You can keep stuff like weapon proficiency, items and stuff. Not sure the specifics yet, haven't beaten it still. I might polish it off this weekend but just in case Im' already writing up my review (I'm 50 hours in)

Side note, I LOVE how they handle stealing--stealing from bosses gives you coins for said unlock system, so stealing from bosses is encouraged but at the same time it's not like if you forget to steal you lose out on Excalibur 2 and your save file is ruined forever. The game has lots of nice touches like that which makes the missables situation a real downer, they could have gone all out to remove the JRPG BS and make this a really smooth ride.

From Gematsu: Western Dungeon Travelers 2 has four censored images

Atlus says:
Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & the Monster Seal presented some challenges during the localization process — specifically, adapting some of the fan service content to western sensibilities. Localization by nature requires some changes to be made for content to be understood en masse, which is why Atlus worked closely with developer Aquaplus to preserve the game’s themes and content to its fullest.

In order to comply with restrictions set forth by rating boards, Atlus made concessions on just four in-game images. On these images, some minor edits were made (and approved by the developer) to adjust the overt graphics to within acceptable ranges for the game’s M-rating.

Atlus is committed to being one of the leading publishers of niche JRPGs, and are very aware of what impact censorship can have on import titles; we are confident that the changes we made to the images in Dungeon Travelers 2 were the least invasive possible to still be eligible for a release in the west.

Thematically, the game remains as true as possible to the original Japanese version, including the preservation of the original Japanese audio.

Anyone know which images got censored? I really don't care about stuff like this but I know there are a few people who will probably get pissed off.

Oh no, here will come thousands of people
three or four
that will rise censorship to the subject and how we should all boycott the game.
Most of the time, when it does happen it makes sense why it got cut. There's just certain things that are wrong lol. Sure liberty of expression and whatever, blah, blah, but if something gets cut there is a reason for it. I can live without it, so can everyone else.

Hikami

From Gematsu: Western Dungeon Travelers 2 has four censored images

Atlus says:

Anyone know which images got censored? I really don't care about stuff like this but I know there are a few people who will probably get pissed off.
Don't really care about this stuff either, but I can already see a certain few people getting mad over this..
and maybe Parakeetman would know which four? not sure of anyone else who's played the Japanese game.

Top Bottom