• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

Saphirax

Name of game please?

Yeah. It's... rough. I used to play so much Battlefield 2 that I would intentionally limit myself to only my C4 and a knife, and still often get the highest kill count. I was tank killer and house destroyer incarnate.

Now I'm playing HardLine, which is cops and robbers Battlefield... and I might as well just have my controller upside down. And i hate that I'll never be 'good' again, due to lack of time. I mean, don't get me wrong, i'm spending the time well [i'd rather spend time with my kid than a game] but I miss the sense of [virtual] community/etc.

You'll be fine if you played Elminage.

there is dlc? if i preordered it do i get it? I checked the vita's store and didn't see any... am i just blind?

That's sad. Hope they aren't perms.

Tokyo Xanadu.

Chuy

How is Pirate warriors 3? I'm debating pick it up and wondering how it plays.
Hey guys,

I've been following Neogaf ever since I got a PS Vita (I think around Dec 2012) and finally my account has been activated. So now I can finally post and contribute to this beautiful community. My main gaming platform is PS Vita but I also play games once in a while on PC. Planning to get a PS4 some time soon.

I really like JRPGs so i'm satisfied with Vita a lot (though some more localizations wouldn't hurt). Some of my favourite games for the system so far are; DR 1-2, Steins Gate, Muramasa-Dragon's Crown (love Vanillaware's work) and YS Memories of Celceta.

Anyways, this is my short introduction of myself and I hope we get along well!
Welcome to the party and the community. Glad to see more people enjoying the legacy console.
Feel free to ask anything here

I know this is true, but it still frustating for not being able to say what I want to say. OTs and the community threads are the best to commune with best gaffers I guess.
Pretty much. Reason why I stick to the communities of the stuff I enjoy, and only go on the gaming side to read the news.

Name of game please?
That's the trailer I was talking about for Xanadu. Great gameplay, flashy and fast. In-game cutscenes though... Idk. They look "stiff", low budget. Seems like gameplay definitely was their major concern.

RK128

That's sad. Hope they aren't perms.

After looking in the SK Community Thread, I learned that at least Vylash's ban is only a temporary one (he/she should be back on Gaf soon).

Everyone else I have no idea on how long they are banned though :(.

Will not talk about this as I don't want to de-rail the thread or bring up stuff that's against Gaf rules :).

Shengar

That's the trailer I was talking about for Xanadu. Great gameplay, flashy and fast. In-game cutscenes though... Idk. They look "stiff", low budget. Seems like gameplay definitely was their major concern.
I heard it was developed by Falcom young team, and considering Falcom in general still couldn't make a solid 3D game technical wise, the stiffness isn't surprising. Hopefully the whole team will be experienced enough to make YS 8 great.

I heard it was developed by Falcom young team, and considering Falcom in general still couldn't make a solid 3D game technical wise, the stiffness isn't surprising. Hopefully the whole team will be experienced enough to make YS 8 great.
That's one of my concerns also. Ys 8 is a console game too, if the animation work is anything like on this trailer for Xanadu, then yikes.

The shift to Unreal 4 seems to be doing wonders in that regard for other devs, we are starting to see things looking more polished. A recent example is DQ, which looks great. I love Japanese games, but back in the day you would look for them as something innovative, trying to bring something new to the table. Past few years, aside from some exceptions here and there of course, have brought us stuff that is okay but not mind blowing, and the tech isn't always very impressive. Still waiting for the day that Japan goes back to form.

RK128

That's one of my concerns also. Ys 8 is a console game too, if the animation work is anything like on this trailer for Xanadu, then yikes.

The shift to Unreal 4 seems to be doing wonders in that regard for other devs, we are starting to see things looking more polished. A recent example is DQ, which looks great. I love Japanese games, but back in the day you would look for them as something innovative, trying to bring something new to the table. Past few years, aside from some exceptions here and there of course, have brought us stuff that is okay but not mind blowing, and the tech isn't always very impressive. Still waiting for the day that Japan goes back to form.

Square may be shifting to Unreal 4, but their games always push things tech wise. Even during the PS3 era they made some really beautiful games (FFXIII looks beautiful despite the game being 'bad') :').

Have high expectations for FFXV whenever that comes out to really push the PS4 far :).

FireCloud

Just renewed my PS+ subscription that expired today. Went to add the subscription for another 12 months and got an error "E-somethingsomething". So I went to add the subscription again....

...long story short. I now have 2 new years of PS+ membership. Wasn't planning on spending $100 on PS+ today but oh well. I would have renewed it again next year anyway so it is no biggie.

For those of you who will be renewing soon, if you encounter an error during the checkout process...go to your account settings and verify that it didn't already renew the membership before trying it again.

Shengar

It's pretty hard to push technical expertise when the Japanese console market, home and handheld alike rapidly shrinking. There's no way to recoup high development cost from domestic market alone if you don't have million sellers IP unless you're like SE that also aim their games for worldwide audience. So with mid tier devs they have to make do with the resources they had. We wouldn't have too many tech impressive game from Japan but at least we can hope there'll be a lot of tech competent game instead.

Ephidel

there is dlc? if i preordered it do i get it? I checked the vita's store and didn't see any... am i just blind?
Yes there's DLC, no you don't get it for preorders, it's paid.
It's bonus characters from ToHeart2, $0.99 per character (there are 20 of them), or $9.99 for the "All Character Pack" which has all 20 chars, a double-exp equipable (currently bugged), and a thing that raises the drop rate of equipment (no idea if that's equipable. Or bugged. I haven't seen in mentioned at all, actually).
It's on the webstore.
Or, if you go to the vita store, the alphabetical list, and then the game itself. It won't show up if you just look at the game in new releases.

None of it is necessary because the game is balanced fine as it is, and when you get new characters they won't be too far off your main party.
And the base game gives you a lot of characters anyway (enough for one of each final class).
The double exp item would come in useful post-game though, it would make crowning slightly less... lengthy.

It's pretty hard to push technical expertise when the Japanese console market, home and handheld alike rapidly shrinking. There's no way to recoup high development cost from domestic market alone if you don't have million sellers IP unless you're like SE that also aim their games for worldwide audience. So with mid tier devs they have to make do with the resources they had. We wouldn't have too many tech impressive game from Japan but at least we can hope there'll be a lot of tech competent game instead.
That's why I have high hopes for UE4 stuff. The engine is cheaper than most, and easy to use right out of the box. They wouldn't need to use crazy amounts of budget, but would be able to put out a product that would pretty decent still.

I'm honestly happy with the level of 3D graphics the niche Japanese developers have reached (Gust/Falcom/Acquire etc.) It's playable 3D anime, and yeah the animations are a bit stiff, but I actually find that endearing.

They've been plateauing since the PS2 gen anyway.

I just checked the Vita PSN Store (NA) and found nothing on it :l.

My bet is at around 3pm/4pm the store will add the flash sale banner and the sale prices will go live :).

Someone already made a thread touching on the sales and I will link it here for anyone interested at the games going on sale :D.

Thread Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1098474&highlight=flash+sale

LA Cops - Poor man's Hotline Miami. It's OK but you should be playing Hotline Miami instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozqrfKOT0s

RBI Baseball 15 - Total shit. Get Super Mega Baseball.

Yorbie - Really terribly made 3D platformer. I hated this game and there isn't even much of a game.

Narco Terror - OK twin stick shooter until I had a bug that prevented me from finishing it.

VLiberty

I'm not willing to give money to nicalis for all the shit they've pulled in the past, but on the other hand vvvvvv is actually releasing worldwide symoultaneously and it's not even due to it having to launch on plus, so maybe they're stepping their game up...

Same as Xeodrifter, basically.
I'll probably take a compromise and buy them on sale.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Isn't the PSV version of vvvvv like 3 years late?

Also vvvv is the only Nicalis published game I've ever bought that didn't need a patch.

bobohoro

How is Pirate warriors 3? I'm debating pick it up and wondering how it plays.

Going by Pirate Warriors 2, it's pretty awesome, with lots of unique movesets and fast and fluid combat. If you're into musou/One Piece, it's a no-brainer, really.

autoduelist

Or, if you go to the vita store, the alphabetical list, and then the game itself. It won't show up if you just look at the game in new releases.

ah, i hit it through new releases, that must have been it. if it ain't free i ain't buyin', so no big deal anyway. thanks!

Yasumi

Banned
Arcana Hearts PS3 or Vita? I remember reading that the Vita version had some pretty nasty load times, so I'm leaning toward PS3.

VLiberty

Isn't the PSV version of vvvvv like 3 years late?

Also vvvv is the only Nicalis published game I've ever bought that didn't need a patch.

Definitely not 3 years but at least between 18 months and 2 years. It's still crazy if you think that it's an 8bit game and that the iOS version was released much, much quicker

What a clusterfuck of a company they've been, I'm seriously hoping this is a sign they'll act better in the future

That's why I have high hopes for UE4 stuff. The engine is cheaper than most, and easy to use right out of the box. They wouldn't need to use crazy amounts of budget, but would be able to put out a product that would pretty decent still.

I don't understand what you mean, what does UE4 has to do with it?

VLiberty

The blog post about Xeodrifter doesn't mention any price. While it was announced(9.99€), the omission by the official PSN Blog might mean that it's coming to PS+?

Saphirax

If anyone feels like playing a decent visual novel and wouldn't mind some otome elements Hakuoki (both the ps3 and psp versions) and Sweet Fuse are part of the US flash sale.

Hakuoki is really good and tbh everyone should give it a try :p. It's a historical visual novel based around the shinsengumi sprinkled with some supernatural elements and romance.

I have a review code for a Vita game and I'm out of space (shocking, right?).

Any quick explanation on deleting games without deleting saves before I have to dig?

Actually, I'm just going to delete Final Fantasy IX, it's pretty huge and I don't have the patience to play it any time soon (so slow).

Still, I would like to know this for future reference.

bobohoro

Any quick explanation on deleting games without deleting saves before I have to dig?

You can't for Vita games. Saves are tied to games, you delete both. Either back up saves with PS+ or back up game&save to a PS3/PC. Still one of the dumbest things with the Vita. :/

I don't understand what you mean, what does UE4 has to do with it?

Like I said, UE4 is cheap and easy to use, but it also has the benefit of making it possible to get some good graphics out of it. The Japanese market seems to be turning their heads towards it and we are seeing more and more titles getting announced that use this engine.

I have a review code for a Vita game and I'm out of space (shocking, right?).

Actually, I'm just going to delete Final Fantasy IX, it's pretty huge and I don't have the patience to play it any time soon (so slow).

Still, I would like to know this for future reference.

Backup the game/save to your PC with Content Manager. Physical games saves can be backed up and digital games saves are tied to the actual game itself.

You can't for Vita games. Saves are tied to games, you delete both. Either back up saves with PS+ or back up game&save to a PS3/PC. Still one of the dumbest things with the Vita. :/
Backup the game/save to your PC with Content Manager. Physical games saves can be backed up and digital games saves are tied to the actual game itself.
That's pretty vile given their memory card prices.

Thanks for the tip, at least.

Chuy

Going by Pirate Warriors 2, it's pretty awesome, with lots of unique movesets and fast and fluid combat. If you're into musou/One Piece, it's a no-brainer, really.
I'mnot into either but hoping to change that which is why I was curious about it. Thanks though I'll probably end up getting it in the near future then

So stoked they moved KH3 to UE4 :D
Gurantees it'll release this decade thankfully with the added benefit of looking good.

incpdo

So guys i have 20 dollars, what should i buy from this sale ps3 and psvita wise? I have already all residente evils, guacamelee, terraria, rouge legacy,battlefantasia,walking dead s1 and s2.

I am interested in murdered : soul suspect, painkiller, need for speed rivals,midnight club los Angeles complete edition,Tony hawk, custome quest( don't ask why xD), gladiator begins( I used to have this game on my Psp but it was not my account) and a few more. Please help!!!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Saw this on a different thread here and it directly relates to why I am so excited that the Japanese are starting to use UE4.

This is a Metroid homage in UE4, made by one guy. If one person can do it, imagine a small team of Japanese game devs.

Honestly there are lots of things like this out there over the whole history of gaming. But unfortunately a lot of that does not translate well when it comes to business.

Granted we have mod teams that have turned into real studios and modders who have become devs, lots of folks will tell you that things are quite different when you are doing it as an actual job at a company vs. having done stuff in your free time as a hobby.

While yes UE4 is being pushed more here in Japan and Unreal is providing a lot of support and conferences for the engine, its not going to magically change things. As you still do need people who can work with the engine itself and that depending on the type of experience folks have can add to budget issues to hire new people or train up current ones with the engine itself. At least one positive with Unreal is that they are offering a lot of documentation in Japanese and also were giving out discs with the software on it at their events. Have one sitting around here somewhere actually. So that will be a big plus for them outside of their general reworked licensing plan.

Larger studios can do it because they have the resources available and can pull in manpower pretty easily. Such as SQEX as they know with their name alone they put out a job position and folks will flock in just because.

Smaller ones its a bit more of a challenge as they are unable to do that and trying to suddenly move to a new engine that no one has worked with throws a lot of things off track.

There are lots of hobbyists in Japan who are closely watching the various Western built engines & tools though. Recently that Autodesk has been generating a lot of buzz here. But thats more folks are just interested in the tech and its not as if things will shift in that direction. Others are still messing with Unity also.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/stingray/overview

Xenoflare

Got Dragon Age 2 from the flash sale.

I loved the lore but hated the gameplay of the Origins, I have my expectations already set in place for a $8 game.

Edit: Oh fuck, turning on my Vita again and it seems like I've forgotten about Soul Sacrifice Delta again, so I'll ask that question one more time.

I got the original release via PS Plus and played up to the point where I'm alone and Magusar is no longer my AI companion. I'm at where I had to fight a Cyclops solo and was 25/25.

I grinded to 18/18 in Delta and I just can't seem to make much progress any more in terms of leveling, are there any of the Sorcererus Deeds that are good for power leveling?

maouvin

What happen man. Did you sold your vita or something?

Just look around to see the graves.

And I choose Vita version....fml.

To be fair, they announced this delay to backers on Aug 05, and on the same day they made another pledge confirmation to choose which version you wanted and such.

I chose (again) the Vita version knowing it'll come out later, but I can see people missing this info on said e-mail since there was tons of other info with it.

Top Bottom