• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | December 2015

nampad

Finally, one person that plays BigFest. How far into the game are you?

I am also playing it and it seems like the devs don't know what makes building games great. The stars progression is annoying, I play those games so I can build up my park/city/hospital/whatever without being interrupted.
The vibe system is broken because everyone just flocks to the already famous ones and the others don't get played so they can't gain vibe. It pretty much destroys the whole point of listening to fans and trying to building them up.

Game could have been great elsewise.

edit top of the page: buy Nuclear Throne.

RK128

Going to get the following from the sale by next Monday :D.
-New Tokyo Legacy (9.99)
-Echo Night (1.50)
-Aqua Kitty DX (2.25)
-Muppet Adventures (5.99)
-Persona 4 DAN (34.99) *Might not get this until next year though*

ryseing

Is AC Chronicles coming to retail on Vita? Picked up China because it was stupid cheap but I'd double dip for a Vita retail version.

Reset

If I disliked Demon Gaze, I'm guessing I'll dislike Operation Abyss. Or is that game better than Demon Gaze?

Reset

Wasn't a fan of the rent system, your party had no personality, and the story was interesting.
I know this game is also a dungeon crawler rpg and dungeon crawler rpgs aren't known for their stories and characters, but if this game is any different and if your party has some sort of personality I'll give it a try.

Shizuka

Wasn't a fan of the rent system, your party had no personality, and the story was interesting.
I know this game is also a dungeon crawler rpg and dungeon crawler rpgs aren't known for their stories and characters, but if this game is any different I'll give it a try since it's only $10.

There is no rent system, the party still doesn't have a personality since you make your own party, but the story is a tad more interesting, IMO.

Quoting EDF2P impressions from the OT:

Alright, played the first 10 levels. Fans of EDF won't be disappointed. Controls are little bit janky since it's a vita TPS, but generally it's acceptable. That quirky select-to-enter-vehicle thing threw me off big time. Location variety is already better than 2017/3P, so that's a definite bonus.

Graphics are alright. Up close the filtering is pretty decent, and the anti aliasing technique (which essentially blurs everything more than a handful of yards away) doesn't make as big a difference. As noted, however, the things in the distance have a very visible halo that blurs together everything and makes it difficult to see. Night levels are especially iffy with this since you already have quite limited visibility.

Translation and voice overs are pretty hilarious. There are some awkward lines, but honestly they don't detract since the game is so campy. UI is crisp and informative without being in-your-face or overly busy.

All in all it's what I expected and I'm happy with it. Shares the issues most EDF games share, but retains the fun b-movie aesthetic.

Recommended to fans of the series. Hit me up for multi!

Is AC Chronicles coming to retail on Vita? Picked up China because it was stupid cheap but I'd double dip for a Vita retail version.

We don't really know. The Ubisoft blog post doesn't really say one way or the other:

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-chronicles-india-russia-release-date-vita/

all three episodes of Assassin’s Creed Chronicles will be available as a digital or retail bundle on PS4, Xbox One and PC – and on April 5, the trilogy will launch as a bundle on PlayStation Vita.

Just says "as a bundle", not mentioning retail or digital.

This article:

http://www.pocket-console.com/2015/12/assassins-creed-chronicles-trip-to-vita.html

Claims to have contacted Ubisoft and was told retail was coming, but we'll see.

Moskalova

We don't really know. The Ubisoft blog post doesn't really say one way or the other:

This article:

http://www.pocket-console.com/2015/12/assassins-creed-chronicles-trip-to-vita.html

It's coming to retail

yu81g7u.png

Games Press

I have never seen that before, but I'm guessing it's legit? If so, great then. It's a bit lame but it makes it an easier day 1 purchase for me because I know I can trade in if need be.

In other news, I asked Gio if 3PP were done with porting bigger games (such as Borderlands; Resi) to Vita. His response was PR but still, better than nothing:

https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/674364689791479808

"Not at all! Always open to exploring any opportunities as they appear!"

Moskalova

I have never seen that before, but I'm guessing it's legit? If so, great then. It's a bit lame but it makes it an easier day 1 purchase for me because I know I can trade in if need be.

In other news, I asked Gio if 3PP were done with porting bigger games (such as Borderlands; Resi) to Vita. His response was PR but still, better than nothing:

https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/674364689791479808

"Not at all! Always open to exploring any opportunities as they appear!"

It's totally legit, it's a site for the games journalists :) http://www.gamespress.com/

I am not holding my breath on AC Chronicles for Vita despite wanting to play them. The last two are MIA on PS4.

o7TmhBQ.jpg

HTR+ Slot Car Simulation Vita - Not a bad idea for a racing game where you just need to control acceleration but it doesn't work. There is only one control and it is acceleration and they couldn't get it right. Analog stick is too sensitive. The better touch controls are touch controls so it isn't good. Maybe this would have been better on PS4 with a good analog trigger. Pass on this game.

v1perz53

Hell yes, great sale. Get to finish off my Neptunia collection having purchased all but one during some kind of crazy sale (not that I was waiting, just hadn't finished the first yet), and finally pick up Operation Abyss, which I honestly thought I had bought at launch and just haven't gotten to yet. Adored Demon Gaze so very happy to jump into this one.

Also, I am quite surprised at how big of an improvement the PS4 version of FF VII is over the PSOne classic version, even playing it primarily remote play on the Vita. Simply cleaning up and sharpening the lines makes it a lot better, and my god do I love this fast forward button. Need a version of FF IX with fast forward... (I love IX, but you cannot argue that the battles are the slowest thing of all time)

Is Earth Defense Force supposed to be out today in the US on PSN? I can't find it, so I guess not?
I can't believe Operation Abyss is that cheap.

autoduelist

So, what are people playing?

I am currently fully addicted to TLOUR mp, survivors mode [one life per round]. It clicks perfectly with my Counterstrike and Socom MP heritage. I would prefer to be playing my backlog but I turn on my ps4 and this -calls- to me and I can't resist.

That said, I am making some in roads:

Nuclear Throne -- BUY THIS GAME
It's a wonderful, amazing dual stick shooter. Find weapons, unlock new characters, and try to make it to the throne through a mess of enemies. Each playthrough varies wildly, though player skill builds with time. If you liked Binding of Isaac, get this. If you wanted to like BoI but hated the feces theme, get this. If you never tried BoI, get both. It does not have the same 'combining weapons!' mechanic of BoI which makes BoI so amazing, but the actual dual stick shooting and map navigation is superior. It does have lots and lots of weapons and hidden mechanics to discover, though. Both are absolutely fantastic.
Plays great on both PS4 and Vita... I go back and forth easily. It's the only game that can grab me from TLOUR except...

sometimes I play

Battlefield 4. I bought this for $18 on sale in a desperate attempt to cure my TLOUR addiction. It is getting some of my time. I prefer BFBC2, or, at least, I miss some of the maps/modes/mechanics from BFBC2... but it's growing on me. As a pure MP fps shooter, it's amazing... it just doesn't have the slow methodical pace of TLOUR that I love so.

Game I really want but can't afford:
Rainbow Six PS4
oh how I want this game.

Games I bought recently but don't play thanks to TLOUR: Witcher 3, Toy Chest, Godzilla, Zombie Army Trilogy, Wasteland 2, Until Dawn, and more... not to mention, whatever I drop on this Winter sale.

Possible Hidden Gem during Week 1 sale:
nobody is talking about Prismatic Solids --- it looks like a beautiful SHMUP and reviews well, and is cheap! Get it people! Support shmups!

I am currently fully addicted to TLOUR mp, survivors mode [one life per round]. It clicks perfectly with my Counterstrike and Socom MP heritage. I would prefer to be playing my backlog but I turn on my ps4 and this -calls- to me and I can't resist.

We probably played together at some point! I've been addicted to TLOU MP ever since the UC4 beta came out. What an amazing game. I'd be fine with TLOU2 being MP only.

Edit: Bought Prismatic Solid based on your recommendation.

Clive

Bought Tron Bonne and Echo Night. I'm pretty disappointed in this handheld generation but it has given me a good opportunity to go back and try many PS1 Classics. I have around 60 in my wishlist waiting for a price drop too.

Am I crazy or does the Vita's future look better than it has done in a long time? Not from a sales perspective, it will continue to flop but that we're actually getting some decent non-indie action games and better-than-Compile-Hearts RPGs. Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2, Odin Sphere, Digimon, World of Final Fantasy, Gundam Extreme vs, X-COM (almost certainly), Assassin's Creed, Civilization, Earth Defense Force 2, Zero Escape 3 and some more. The dungeon crawlers and indies also keep coming.

I am worried about its sales and it being phased out by more and more retailers but I'm optimistic about my own enjoyment.

Bought Tron Bonne and Echo Night. I'm pretty disappointed in this handheld generation but it has given me a good opportunity to go back and try many PS1 Classics. I have around 60 in my wishlist waiting for a price drop too.

Am I crazy or does the Vita's future look better than it has done in a long time? Not from a sales perspective, it will continue to flop but that we're actually getting some decent non-indie action games and better-than-Compile-Hearts RPGs. Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2, Odin Sphere, Digimon, World of Final Fantasy, Gundam Extreme vs, X-COM (almost certainly), Assassin's Creed, Civilization, Earth Defense Force 2, Zero Escape 3 and some more. The dungeon crawlers and indies also keep coming.

I am worried about its sales and it being phased out by more and more retailers but I'm optimistic about my own enjoyment.

Vita has had a good 2015 and a great 2014, I don't think people can really call it 'dead' as many joke. I'm still buying more Vita games than 3DS games, and I buy a lot of new releases every month for both.

Don't forget you can now map your second analog in PS1 games, it makes Tron Bonne and Echo Night a lot more playable since their original release.

Edit: I had pre-ordered SFV a long time ago, but when I look at the curring pre-order promotion it does not show as Purchased. Is this an issue with my license? Or does this new pre-order package count as a separate release?

Shoyz

Was having a fun ride with Until Dawn until it ended. Spoilers:
The disappointing killer twist aside, what were they thinking when they put so much emphasis on branching paths and story affecting decisions? The moment I started going back and changing things, I was taken aback by how next to nothing changes. Really disappointing.
Particularly in that one scene where Mike has a clear shot at the presumed killer after the chase sequence. Click, empty, how cliche..until I realized the brilliance! I took a shot at their head and missed earlier, I must have wasted the only bullet! In a subsequent play, I get to see what happens if I save it for that moment. I spent the entire rest of the game anxious to go back to that moment and see. I waited through the first false head shot (knowing why this time)..and realized just how long they gave you. Clearly intended to shoot, I thought. I then made it to the clear shot...click, empty. Quit the game.

I looked up additional scenes which I was also really interested in how it would change the game: The Ashley/Josh choice, in which I saved Ashley? You save Ashley even if you try to save Josh. The Stranger who I thought I killed by failing to hold my controller still? Dies the exact same way.
The game is filled with false choices and fake influence over a story that you have extremely little control of besides the very late fates of the characters. Soooo disappointed..

Prelude.

Both! Just in case. They're very flimsy. Like I said, my memory card was fine until I decided to switch it out with another and then put it back. Started my Vita and there was nothing on it and I'd keep getting the same error messages as you. Removing the memory card once or twice, blowing on the memory card and the Vita slot and putting it back in gently did the trick.
I forgot to say that after I did that it worked perfectly so thanks, you saved me a shipment to Hong Kong.

Amazon is a mess presentation wise imo, but here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_d...011,k:vita&qid=1449515356&sort=date-desc-rank

10 upcoming games, all the rest are already released games.
Eh, that doesn't really matter, it's not like online retailers put EVERY game up months before release.
When someone wants to buy a game they just type the name in and search, they're not like "I wonder which games I can pre-order for this console right now".

As you can see here (2015 games aren't listed but still) the majority of non-indie games are physical.

Also, I know you like to buy games at Gamestop for some reason but in 2015 there's really no incentive to buy games in a physical store considering the absolutely ridiculous prices they have even on years old games and a lot of people are aware of that. And even if you don't care about the price, what's the point of moving your ass when you can still have it delivered to you on day 1? So, unless you swap discs once a year just to put in the new COD, FIFA or whatever, chances are that you buy the majority of your games online. Buying on Amazon is pretty fucking widespread.

ryseing

It's coming to retail

yu81g7u.png

This article:

Thanks guys! That's excellent news. Hopefully all three games are on the cart and not a DL code like FFX-2 was.

I forgot to say that after I did that it worked perfectly so thanks, you saved me a shipment to Hong Kong.

Eh, that doesn't really matter, it's not like online retailers put EVERY game up months before release.
When someone wants to buy a game they just type the name in and search, they're not like "I wonder which games I can pre-order for this console right now".

As you can see here (2015 games aren't listed but still) the majority of non-indie games are physical.

Also, I know you like to buy games at Gamestop for some reason but in 2015 there's really no incentive to buy games in a physical store considering the absolutely ridiculous prices they have even on years old games and a lot of people are aware of that. And even if you don't care about the price, what's the point of moving your ass when you can still have it delivered to you on day 1? So, unless you swap discs once a year just to put in the new COD, FIFA or whatever, chances are that you buy the majority of your games online. Buying on Amazon is pretty fucking widespread.

I'm afraid Skullgirls might not be happening on Vita anymore...

Now I can see EDF2 Vita on the US Web store, but it does not have any pricing or purchasing options. Sigh.
Edit: It's available via Vita! Should I get EDF2 or EDF4?

I'm so tired of Sony's PSN team. The official trailer for EDF2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIeool7uzCc) says that it is a PS4 game in the title. What the fuck?

And the EDF article that went up on the blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/08/earth-defense-force-4-1-and-2-launch-today-on-playstation/) has a broken link, and doesn't even tell me where the hell I can get EDF4 or how much it costs. Right now I can't find that game on the PSN store.

Now I can see EDF2 Vita on the US Web store, but it does not have any pricing or purchasing options. Sigh.
Edit: It's available via Vita! Should I get EDF2 or EDF4?

I'm so tired of Sony's PSN team. The official trailer for EDF2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIeool7uzCc) says that it is a PS4 game in the title. What the fuck?

And the EDF article that went up on the blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/08/earth-defense-force-4-1-and-2-launch-today-on-playstation/) has a broken link, and doesn't even tell me where the hell I can get EDF4 or how much it costs. Right now I can't find that game on the PSN store.

The NA PSN update is a fucking mess today, they have a ton of things missing from search and listing - scattered across both the platforms (webstore, console).

If by "might not be happening anymore" you mean "it's almost finished and out in Japan next month", you're right.

Oh!! That is good to hear. I bought the PS4 version knowing it would be out on PSV one day.

The NA PSN update is a fucking mess today, they have a ton of things missing from search and listing - scattered across both the platforms (webstore, console).

Must be the sale.. if you ask me, any big sales like this should start on Friday, whilst regular store updates remain on Tuesday's. I imagine XSeed isn't too happy with releasing (I guess? Can't find EDF4..) together with a huge sale.

Ventara

Just saw the PSN sale. Might pick up Noire and Rebirth 2. Definitely getting Operation Abyss. That's a great price for it. Wish Dungeon Travelers 2 was that cheap.

My god, seeing Tyler playing this game made my hype for Cosmic Star Heroine reach top tier. That gfx and UI looks so good.

https://youtu.be/RbqtBNaVtpo

And my jaw dropped to the floor after seeing this Severed footage (beware of gameplay spoilers

https://youtu.be/tUr7ipAsz6A

The last video from TVL's Tyler is showing Shakedown Hawaii(from the creator of retro city rampage)

https://youtu.be/raLawyqoCxU

Edit: @teflontactics I hope that Tyler is ok with me sharing his videos.

unrealist

Not sure if anyone has played Shining in the Darkness for Sega Genesis .. it is a dungeon crawler and I loved that .. been a decade since I played one. Is Operation Abyss something like that?

Not that far. Made it to the third row after the tutorial (the one with the three day festivals). Good pick up and play game, really like some of the music acts.

I agree, not as deep as something like Themepark but to me the theme and gameplay makes bigfest a really fun "go to" game.

The only thing that I miss are some indie Christmas music and the ability to regrow trees to further make your festival visually unique.

autoduelist

Bought Hyperdimension 2 and Sketchcross for my vita. Tales from the Borderlands, Prismatic Solid, and Tina's Toy Factory for my ps4 (Toy Factory is some sort of match 3 game so i figured it's worth 1.75).

I had to remove around $50 of games from my cart because $$$ and needing to keep some of my credit available for the next 3 weeks of sales.

Xenoflare

I powered through Bastion.

I
saved Zulf and evacuated

Just like when I did on the 360 back in 2011

I don't regret one bit. I'm glad this happened for the Vita

Though the game's audio is buggy. I had a few memento lines missing and the credits music abruptly ended.

Even at 30 fps it's still very smooth for the most part

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Finally AC:Chronicle is official!
When XCOM?

First i post VG+ and you say that VG+ doesn't matter and that i should have posted Amazon, then i post Amazon and you say it doesn't matter... Make up your mind ;)

No matter how you turn this being a collector with vita is not as satisfying and as easy as with other consoles, many games are not retail and you have to find the available ones in who know what site matters. Vita is not a good console for collectors, just deal with it.

And no i don't go to gamestop but most of the people do and prefer it to internet.

No matter how you turn this being a collector with vita is not as satisfying and as easy as with other consoles, many games are not retail and you have to find the available ones in who know what site matters. Vita is not a good console for collectors, just deal with it.

I find that because it's not easy is exactly why it's satisfying :p

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I find that because it's not easy is exactly why it's satisfying :p

Lol i get it, but that's a satisfaction that only those who like rare items can get, most of the people that just want to get physical games would likely be more pissed than satisfied.

Top Bottom