• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

Prelude.

Happy birthday, Shizuka-tan~

The scans for Hero Must Die are out and it actually looks really good. It's a legit remake.

TOTP: Pre-order S;G if you're in the US, buy it if you're in Europe

I would get killed in gaming discussions but I think there's a good chance we'll see DQXI on the Vita judging from the renewed surprise multiplatform DQ games that's been announced.

DQ heroes 2 and DQ builders with more incoming. At the very least I can see SE making DQXI a PS4/PS3/Vita game that will hit the largest gaming demographic in japan. It would also explain why they're feeling safer in putting World of FF and Saga on the Vita alone if they have DQ incoming to support it.

Prelude.

I would get killed in gaming discussions but I think there's a good chance we'll see DQXI on the Vita judging from the renewed surprise multiplatform DQ games that's been announced.

DQ heroes 2 and DQ builders with more incoming. At the very least I can see SE making DQXI a PS4/PS3/Vita game that will hit the largest gaming demographic in japan. It would also explain why they're feeling safer in putting World of FF and Saga on the Vita alone if they have DQ incoming to support it.

Maybe, I don't think it's too far-fetched at this point. The PS family combo seems like a winning solution overall for a high profile game if you plan to release it worldwide.

The scans for Hero Must Die are out and it actually looks really good. It's a legit remake.

Had to check this after you posted it. Seems really good. Looks fully 3D from the second scan I saw. Definitely very interested now!

edit: Although that may just be the perspective, still a little difficult to tell.

Hikami

Not a fan of the new Rise VA in P4D. This must be how Chie fans felt about P4G. :(
Not sure how I feel about her voice yet

and yeah, same happened with the new Chie VA. Didn't like her voice at first since I was used to the one from P4 but when I finished P4G I ended up liking them both.
Can't say the same for Naoto's new VA though..

autoduelist

Only played enough Tokyo Abyss to get to the first save point due to Catsblock. How much do I need to fuss over creating characters? And is appearance not tied to stats/etc (or was that what the "beginner mode" was for?), I like to look good but have a variety of character roles.

What's catsblock? Is that like when my cat jumps in my lap and won't let me play a game?

Creating characters -- I rerolled till I got 8s, but I'm sure the game would be fine with 5s or 6s.

If you're using... um, Basic mode I think, the art is just fixed art. If you're using classic (like I did), it's 'paper doll' style and you'll see your equipped armor on your characters (both in inventory and at bottom).

With enough playing around, you can make the pure character (no equip) look pretty good (not great), but eventually you're going to have samurai masks on and such so it's not like it matters all that much.

Goodness the generic characters in Operation Abyss are ugly. I assume they're create-a-characters? Can you make them...not-ugly manually?

I'm guessing you're in classic mode. Yes, they're pretty rough at first. I'm happy with the ones I made -- I just kept using 'randomize' until they were mostly okay and fixed the few things I hated. I didn't get too wrapped up in it, and like I mentioned above, eventually most of them will be wearing enough gear you won't even see what they 'look' like.

Overally, I greatly prefer seeing the equipped armor over the fixed art of 'basic' mode, even if the characters themselves are hard to get looking ok.

I'm pretty sure there's a way in the medical bay to change their looks, so [i'm pretty sure] you can just get killing monsters and fix them later if you want.

I made the mistake of keeping very japanese names that are a bit too similar and am having a spectacularly hard time remembering who is who. Need to go check to see if I can edit them...

Oh, and also, that little editable piece of personality will be used, sometimes, as an attack descriptor. For example, if you put 'stubborn', you'd see 'Joe makes a stubborn attack on the goblin and hits for 21 damage"... so... make them decent descriptors with that in mind.

--ps - pm'd you about b2.

SerTapTap

What's catsblock? Is that like when my cat jumps in my lap and won't let me play a game?

CJaAgvHWwAABWmx.jpg

Creating characters -- I rerolled till I got 8s, but I'm sure the game would be fine with 5s or 6s.

If you're using... um, Basic mode I think, the art is just fixed art. If you're using classic (like I did), it's 'paper doll' style and you'll see your equipped armor on your characters (both in inventory and at bottom).

With enough playing around, you can make the pure character (no equip) look pretty good (not great), but eventually you're going to have samurai masks on and such so it's not like it matters all that much.

I'm guessing you're in classic mode. Yes, they're pretty rough at first. I'm happy with the ones I made -- I just kept using 'randomize' until they were mostly okay and fixed the few things I hated. I didn't get too wrapped up in it, and like I mentioned above, eventually most of them will be wearing enough gear you won't even see what they 'look' like.

Overally, I greatly prefer seeing the equipped armor over the fixed art of 'basic' mode, even if the characters themselves are hard to get looking ok.

I'm pretty sure there's a way in the medical bay to change their looks, so [i'm pretty sure] you can just get killing monsters and fix them later if you want.

I made the mistake of keeping very japanese names that are a bit too similar and am having a spectacularly hard time remembering who is who. Need to go check to see if I can edit them...

Oh, and also, that little editable piece of personality will be used, sometimes, as an attack descriptor. For example, if you put 'stubborn', you'd see 'Joe makes a stubborn attack on the goblin and hits for 21 damage"... so... make them decent descriptors with that in mind.

--ps - pm'd you about b2.

Can I change this stuff without remaking characters or do I need to cull my starting party at some point? And yeah, I picked classic mode though I don't really mind the fixed art a la Demon Gaze if it's actually good art, like some of the demon gaze portraits are, but being able to see armor is also cool. I'll stick with this I think if only for variety.

Tapejara

DSC0020.jpg

Good haul. I should have the Neptunia U LE as well, but for some reason it wasn't packaged with the Re;Birth3 LE. Hopefully there wasn't a mix up!

For those of you keeping tabs: I know I said I wasn't going to buy the Nep U or Re;Birth3 LE's because I didn't like Idea Factory including content like the pillow case and mouse pad, but fuck it I have no will power. Plus I've bought just about every Neptunia LE to date :p.

SerTapTap

Good haul. I should have the Neptunia U LE as well, but for some reason it wasn't packaged with the Re;Birth3 LE. Hopefully there wasn't a mix up!

For those of you keeping tabs: I know I said I wasn't going to buy the Nep U or Re;Birth3 LE's because I didn't like Idea Factory including content like the pillow case and mouse pad, but fuck it I have no will power. Plus I've bought just about every Neptunia LE to date :p.

You could sell them or give them away or something. They're good LEs aside from those items and very good value considering the general cost of such items even if you don't want 'em yourself. I'd prefer extra art and music instead but I don't mind them encluding something silly in each LE which seems to be their standard.

Now, the Sorcery Saga limited edition with nothing but unusable curry-eating items, THAT was a stupid and terrible LE.
So stupid I actually bought it because it was stupid, but also because the LE was actually cheaper than standard

BTW, hope the US LE for Victory 2 has the full OST like the Japanese version (...it probably won't), the OST is great. Better than Victory IMO.

RK128

Not a fan of the new Rise VA in P4D. This must be how Chie fans felt about P4G. :(

Wow, sounds nothing like the original Rise VA :l. The music and gameplay is where the game will shine....so one VA being so-so isn't too bad.

Still sucks considering Rise is basically the MC for this game, so surprised they couldn't get the original VA to come back for one last Persona 4 game.

Tapejara

You could sell them or give them away or something. They're good LEs aside from those items and very good value considering the general cost of such items even if you don't want 'em yourself. I'd prefer extra art and music instead but I don't mind them encluding something silly in each LE which seems to be their standard.

Now, the Sorcery Saga limited edition with nothing but unusable curry-eating items, THAT was a stupid and terrible LE.
So stupid I actually bought it because it was stupid, but also because the LE was actually cheaper than standard

BTW, hope the US LE for Victory 2 has the full OST like the Japanese version (...it probably won't), the OST is great. Better than Victory IMO.

Nah, selling stuff isn't really my thing; I'd go crazy if I only had part of an LE. Also, that Sorcery Saga LE was awesome. #CurryBowl4Life

It'd be nice if we got an OST + Artbook standard in IFI's LEs.

SerTapTap

Nah, selling stuff isn't really my thing; I'd go crazy if I only had part of an LE. Also, that Sorcery Saga LE was awesome. #CurryBowl4Life

It'd be nice if we got an OST + Artbook standard in IFI's LEs.

We're pretty close, don't like more than half have an art book or art book, probably 75% have at least one of the two. A problem is they're sampler OSTs though. Not sure if the Japanese editions had fuller OSTs or not, but the Victory 2 Dream Edition isn't a sampler.

For some reason her voice reminds me of Korra. A higher pitched version of her voice. It's alright. Still, not convinced that I am gonna get this game, the P4 fatigue has set in, plus the whole dancing thing just doesn't fit with Persona in my opinion. Idk, I'll probably wait for a sale on it.

Tapejara

We're pretty close, don't like more than half have an art book or art book, probably 75% have at least one of the two. A problem is they're sampler OSTs though. Not sure if the Japanese editions had fuller OSTs or not, but the Victory 2 Dream Edition isn't a sampler.

It seems like we either get an art book and a random item, or a OST sampler and a random item. Just give us both :p. And yeah, fuck OST samplers. The CE for Drakengard 3 came with a sampler and it pissed me off.

SerTapTap

It seems like we either get an art book and a random item, or a OST sampler and a random item. Just give us both :p. And yeah, fuck OST samplers. The CE for Drakengard 3 came with a sampler and it pissed me off.

Samplers are way, WAY more common than full though...aside from western games coming with DIGITAL OSTs, I actually can't think of the last time I got a full, on disk OST in a CE that I didn't have to import. Wish they'd have sampler OSTs as preorder/first print bonus and the full deal for the CE. I'd be willing to pay more, especially since they're <$70 as it is.

Wost part of the Neptunia CE samplers is they always omit most of the battle themes and opening themes...you know...the best music in the game.

Ryan95

I personally found Rise's new VA very similar to the original, I don't mind that, I feel a sort of continuity on how both VAs voice the same character which doesn't make her change too much and keeps her voice "loyal" to how she is in the western version of the games she's appeared in.
However, I find Yu's VA very annoying and distant from the image of him I made myself (my impression might have been biased by listening the Japanese VA, but I think a more "serious" and less "lighthearded (?)" voice would have been better IMHO)

autoduelist

Man, I play most games on mute, and even if it does have dialog it takes so much longer to listen than read I basically only hear the first word of every dialog anyway. I wouldn't notice a change in voice actors for any prompt based dialog.

Can I change this stuff without remaking characters or do I need to cull my starting party at some point? And yeah, I picked classic mode though I don't really mind the fixed art a la Demon Gaze if it's actually good art, like some of the demon gaze portraits are, but being able to see armor is also cool. I'll stick with this I think if only for variety.

Um... well, I always make my own party in drpgs. I'm assuming you're using the default party based on your question? I believe you can change looks, but the stat rolls are fixed I'm sure. But you can easily change classes, too... so even the starter party should be fairly modifiable. They just generally are 'all purpose' characters, not necessarily totally stat'd up quite as well as making them yourself would do.

Also -- pm'd you earlier...

Vashetti

Banned
Is Chaos Rings III: Prequel Trilogy likely to come to the West, or should I buy the first Chaos Rings before PS Mobile goes away?

Shizuka

Is Chaos Rings III: Prequel Trilogy likely to come to the West, or should I buy the first Chaos Rings before PS Mobile goes away?

Likely, but it's Square-Enix we're talking about, they might as well port them all to the PS4 and release that in the West for all we know.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have no interest in the physical versions of either ZE3...but I might get the watch version for both PS Vita and 3DS so I can sell them later.

RK128

You might as well get the PSM version of the first Chaos Rings, as we have no idea when Square Enix will start localization on that :l. I mean, they DID announce World of Final Fantasty for Vita this E3, stated that Dragon Quest Heroes 2 will have a Vita version (and that hopefully comes over) and just recently announced Dragon Quest Builders (a very Minecraft-esc looking game) for PS3/PS4/Vita (with that likely coming over, as Minecraft is a huge hit and anything like will sell).

I remember the PSM version of Chaos Rings having Frame-Rate issues but if its a turn-based game, then that should be much of an issue.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
you and your sales, is there any vita game that you'll buy full price? lol

I've contemplated buying Steins;Gate day one, but looking over my schedule even that can wait.

Usually it takes something I really want to play or something that has a community that will die down. That and I've gone this far now never buying anything for full price, why stop now?

It would take something amazing. Master of Orion 1 port. FF V/VI remastered. Phantasy Star V.

RK128

I feel VitaGAF is neglecting Ar nosurge Plus.

I have so many games in my backlog, I have to stop buying games for a while man. The game does look interesting....is it an action RPG or is it more in line with something like say, Persona 4 Golden or Tales of Hearts R?

I saw the thread of the game and its looks quite interesting :). Might give it a shot once my backlog clears up a lot XD.

Top Bottom