• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

Cha

Geometry wars is addictive. It also runs superbly on the Vita. I like how snappy everything is. Once you fail a level you can jump back in instantly. I feel like I'm putting a lot of stress on my analog sticks though.

Saphirax

I've been meaning to ask, do I need to/should I play the previous games in the series before this one? Because it sounds interesting, but I don't want to buy it to just stick in my backlog behind the other Corpse Party games.

You pretty much need to play the first two. They're all connected and BD starts right after BoS.

The mighty SAO HF is back in first place, even though the remaster is coming out soon uh. I'm surprised. Can't think of any other game that has locked the top place in any platform this many months. PS4 is always fluctuating because of AAAs and all.

ZeroAKA

Not surprising at all. Too bad the wrong Soul Sacrifice is on that list.

The mighty SAO HF is back in first place, even though the remaster is coming out soon uh. I'm surprised. Can't think of any other game that has locked the top place in any platform this many months. PS4 is always fluctuating because of AAAs and all.
The sale probably helped.

SerTapTap

It's been great that someone seems to have reminded Japanese publishers that PS4 exists. Next couple years looking very good.

New Vita announcement (also PS3/4)

Dragon Quest Builders

uhhh..

The textures and non-terrain models aren't bad...if they only interpolated slopes instead of using the exact same 1mx1m perfect square blocks this might look neat instead of like an obvious minecraft clone.

Go octodad!

Not surprising at all. Too bad the wrong Soul Sacrifice is on that list.

Well tell them to put the right one on sale. With no upgrade DLC they should really just pretend the old versions of hunting games don't exist the moment the GBurstUltimateEdition is out.

ZeroAKA

IWell tell them to put the right one on sale. With no upgrade DLC they should really just pretend the old versions of hunting games don't exist the moment the GBurstUltimateEdition is out.
They really should remove the original SS from the store. There's no reason for anyone to buy it anymore.

RK128

Not surprised at the listing; that big flash sale really helped a few of those games become great sellers (Tales of Hearts R, SAO and Hyper Dimension Rebirth 1 were steals at the flash sale prices :D).

Good to see both Tales and SAO be in the top three; shows that there is interest in both series and that might help boost localization efforts for Lost Song and whatever Tales game they might have in the works on Vita (I mean, Tales of Innocence R might be the next on on the 'list' of games that Bamco might want to bring over).

The sale probably helped.
That's true one can never underestimate the power of sales lol but nonetheless after so many months of it being on the top place one would think that everyone who owns a Vita and their mother already owns this game ahaha. I wish they put the actual numbers up. For all we know, top place could be something like 100 copies sold.

RK128

That's true one can never underestimate the power of sales lol but nonetheless after so many months of it being on the top place one would think that everyone who owns a Vita and their mother already owns this game ahaha. I wish they put the actual numbers up. For all we know, top place could be something like 100 copies sold.

Due to the game hitting the right notes with people on a number of levels (its a huge JRPG for the Vita, its is based off a popular anime, it is published by a major publishers, and its a 'AAA' game packed with content on Vita), its no wonder the game stuck a cord with so many people :).

Hope Lost Song does just as well as Hallow Fragment does and I am very interested in seeing how Re: Hallow Fragment sells on PS4.....I wonder if sales on that will be better than on Vita or not...

Due to the game hitting the right notes with people on a number of levels (its a huge JRPG for the Vita, its is based off a popular anime, it is published by a major publishers, and its a 'AAA' game packed with content on Vita), its no wonder the game stuck a cord with so many people :).

Hope Lost Song does just as well as Hallow Fragment does and I am very interested in seeing how Re: Hallow Fragment sells on PS4.....I wonder if sales on that will be better than on Vita or not...
I kinda doubt that Hollow Fragment will sell better on the PS4. The audience for these types of games is on the handhelds. The consoles are an environment more populated by casual gamers. Not to say that the game won't sell, because it will, but I really can't see it doing much better than it did on the Vita. People with PS4s are looking for Witchers, Batmans, CODs, Destinys, etc. Big western games pretty much. The Vita is a machine that is supported by us the niche, core gamers. Most of us seem to enjoy Anime/Japanese titles, and that shows because of the type of games that we get on it.

RK128

I kinda doubt that Hollow Fragment will sell better on the PS4. The audience for these types of games is on the handhelds. The consoles are an environment more populated by casual gamers. Not to say that the game won't sell, because it will, but I really can't see it doing much better than it did on the Vita. People with PS4s are looking for Witchers, Batmans, CODs, Destinys, etc. Big western games pretty much. The Vita is a machine that is supported by us the niche, core gamers. Most of us seem to enjoy Anime/Japanese titles, and that shows because of the type of games that we get on it.

That is a very good point, as JP games aren't the sure-fire sellers on PS4. At least, in comparison to things like Batman or Witcher.

I think the number Sony uses for the top selling games is not 100 copies sold but more like 500-2,000 copies sold; that is more reasonable (as the while a lot of Vita owners buy a ton of games, some don't everything. I'm an example of this, as I didn't own Tales of Hearts R or VC2 before the flash sale came).

SerTapTap

I doubt HF will sell better on PS4 but mostly because it's already been out on Vita (and quite successful). Vita probably has a higher percentage of Anime/JRPG fans than PS4 but I still think JRPGs and such will do quite well there. It's clearly the home console to get if you want Japanese non-nintendo games and it doesn't have the sales problems the early PS3 did.

RK128

I doubt HF will sell better on PS4 but mostly because it's already been out on Vita (and quite successful). Vita probably has a higher percentage of Anime/JRPG fans than PS4 but I still think JRPGs and such will do quite well there. It's clearly the home console to get if you want Japanese non-nintendo games and it doesn't have the sales problems the early PS3 did.

I agree, and we sorta see this with the success of Typo-0 (though that games sales had to be helped with the FFXV Demo being included....if I owned a PS4, I would have gotten the game just for that demo XD).

There is a good reason for Digimon CS coming to PS4 and Vita instead of just Vita; the PS4 is a good place to for western audiences to play console JP games (as the X1 doesn't seem to be that viable for that despite efforts being made ala convincing Square to put FFXV and KH3 on the consoles and the Wii U not doing so well).

That is a very good point, as JP games aren't the sure-fire sellers on PS4. At least, in comparison to things like Batman or Witcher.
I would be shocked if the game made it on the top sold list, even at the last spot. Still can't underestimate the power of the franchise, since it seems to be a behemoth (even though a lot of people hate on it really bad aha). Still, I have a hard time convincing myself that one who has already played this game on the Vita, would do it again on the PS4. I mean the game is really good, but I wouldn't buy it AGAIN for my home console. And like I said before, if you are a fan of these types of games you have already bought this niche game for you niche dedicated system, the Vita.

That is a huge generalization. I'm willing to bet that there are as many fans of Japanese/niche games that own a PS4 as there are ones that own a Vita. Or at least that will be the case soon when more of those games come out on PS4.

Just because there are "casual" gamers who want big western AAA games doesn't mean that the other audience isn't on PS4 as well or that they aren't overlapping.

To say that the audience for SAO is on handhelds and not on PS4 is pretty baffling, because I doubt Bamco would have made a port otherwise. Same with Digimon. It's being ported because the (potential future) audience there is as big or bigger than on the Vita. It doesn't matter how big the percentages of casual vs niche are on a platform, what matters are the absolute numbers.

Lost Song PS4 sales will very likely beat Vita sales.
I agree, and we sorta see this with the success of Typo-0 (though that games sales had to be helped with the FFXV Demo being included....if I owned a PS4, I would have gotten the game just for that demo XD).
Type-0 wasn't very successful

RK128

I would be shocked if the game made it on the top sold list, even at the last spot. Still can't underestimate the power of the franchise, since it seems to be a behemoth (even though a lot of people hate on it really bad aha). Still, I have a hard time convincing myself that one who has already played this game on the Vita, would do it again on the PS4. I mean the game is really good, but I wouldn't buy it AGAIN for my home console. And like I said before, if you are abfan of these types of games you have already bought this niche game for you niche dedicated system, the Vita.

A few of the upgrades to the base game like the extra story chapter (which its length is still not explained enough; it could be as big as another Hallow Area or just a series of missions spanning the Hallow Area and Alicard), female main character avatar and online multiplayer (alongside it being cross-save with the Vita version) will help make the game sell to existing buyers.

The game also being a 'free' bonus for Lost Song pre-orders will help with sales a lot too :).

The reason the IP is so successful is....I'm a little lost there myself :l. I did love the first half of season one despite its problems and I really liked the concept of the game's world. But the story in the second half of season one and how they handled elements of the story in season two (mainly how they decided to end the GGO arc) really bothered me X(.

The games also have the animes VA's and visual style, so that must help alot too :D.

Look back, I think the reason why so many enjoy the games is due to the games actively fixing the story that the anime fumbled up so badly (at least, it was for me the moment I started watching after episode 14).

RK128

That is a huge generalization. I'm willing to bet that there are as many fans of Japanese/niche games that own a PS4 as there are ones that own a Vita. Or at least that will be the case soon when more of those games come out on PS4.

Just because there are "casual" gamers who want big western AAA games doesn't mean that the other audience isn't on PS4 as well or that they aren't overlapping.

To say that the audience for SAO is on handhelds and not on PS4 is pretty baffling, because I doubt Bamco would have made a port otherwise. Same with Digimon. It's being ported because the (potential future) audience there is as big or bigger than on the Vita. It doesn't matter how big the percentages of casual vs niche are on a platform, what matters are the absolute numbers.

That is a shame :(. I would have thought with the larger userbase and the included FFXV demo the game would have sold hot-cakes. Guess Square needed to push it more I suppose :l.

I guess its hard to gauge how much the PS4 versions of JP games will sell until more start landing on the system; just now a wave of games are coming (SK: EV, SAO: HF and LS, Digimon, Nartuo, Trials of Cold Steel (I think?), One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, Dragonball Xenoverse, Tales of, ec), so by the middle of next year, I wouldn't be shocked if a number of those games are hits on PS4 (Digimon, SAO: LS, Nauto, and Dragonball will be very successful on PS4 I imagine :D).

Lost song will, but that is because the games are both releasing at the same time. As for HF, folks have had the chance to play the game for over a year (thanks to the Asian copy too), and I still stick to the fact that you have more JRPG fans on the Vita than on the PS4. I doubt that the large majority of those that have played the game on the Vita will play it again on the PS4. LS fixes that by releasing on both consoles at the same time. The PS4 version is going be smoother and shinier, so I could totally see those who own both systems buying it there and if anything, remote playing on the Vita. I'm considering doing the same thing myself.

A few of the upgrades to the base game like the extra story chapter (which its length is still not explained enough; it could be as big as another Hallow Area or just a series of missions spanning the Hallow Area and Alicard), female main character avatar and online multiplayer (alongside it being cross-save with the Vita version) will help make the game sell to existing buyers.

The game also being a 'free' bonus for Lost Song pre-orders will help with sales a lot too :).

The reason the IP is so successful is....I'm a little lost there myself :l. I did love the first half of season one despite its problems and I really liked the concept of the game's world. But the story in the second half of season one and how they handled elements of the story in season two (mainly how they decided to end the GGO arc) really bothered me X(.

The games also have the animes VA's and visual style, so that must help alot too :D.

Look back, I think the reason why so many enjoy the games is due to the games actively fixing the story that the anime fumbled up so badly (at least, it was for me the moment I started watching after episode 14).
I enjoyed the show for what it was but I do gotta admit, in the show they make Kirito be the Gary Stu of the ages lol... That doesn't sit well with people, as well as the character development regression of Asuna after a ccertain point in season 1. Lots of thing do more harm than good to the series, but like I always say on AnimeGAF whenever the discussion is brought up, it's all cartoons, all for good fun, if you watch Anime to look for the next Citizen Kane, you will more likely than not be disappointed, the medium is full of tropes to cater to a certain audience.

Lost song will, but that is because the games are both releasing at the same time. As for HF, folks have had the chance to play the game for over a year (thanks to the Asian copy too), and I still stick to the fact that you have more JRPG fans on the Vita than on the PS4. I doubt that the large majority of those that have played the game on the Vita will play it again on the PS4. LS fixes that by releasing on both consoles at the same time. The PS4 version is going be smoother and shinier, so I could totally see those who own both systems buying it there and if anything, remote playing on the Vita. I'm considering doing the same thing myself.

There are more JRPG fans on Vita than on PS4 but the PS4 version will sell better? How does that work?

RK128

I enjoyed the show for what it was but I do gotta admit, in the show they make Kirito be the Gary Stu of the ages lol... That doesn't sit well with people, as well as the character development regression of Asuna after a ccertain point in season 1. Lots of thing do more harm than good to the series, but like I always say on AnimeGAF whenever the discussion is brought up, it's all cartoons, all for good fun, if you watch Anime to look for the next Citizen Kane, you will more likely than not be disappointed, the medium is full of tropes to cater to a certain audience.

I can see HF not being nearly as successful on Vita due it be a late port/remaster, as like you said, by now anyone who was interested in the series likely got the game. But still, I do see HF doing well on PS4 :). And Lost Song will be very successful on both PS Vita and PS4; the former due to it being on Vita and a solid game in the series while the latter due to the PS4's higher user-based getting the game due to interest in the anime or from its upgrades/incentives (HF being free if you pre-order, cross-save with Vita version, ect).

I guess I was just more sour with the anime less due to Kirtro being Gary Sue but more so what they did with Asuna :l. It reminded me what Nintendo did to Samus with Other M and other elements of the second half of season one didn't help that much either; they could of done a better job justifying Leafa's role in the show too :l....

But like you said, its just an anime, so its hard to get to worked up, notably after Hallow Fragment fixing a number of issues I had with the season ones story (characters actually enjoying the game's world, death a issue but not the 'main' point of everything, fleshing out some of the characters personalities, ect) :).

There are more JRPG fans on Vita than on PS4 but the PS4 version will sell better? How does that work?

Considering the gameplay systems of Lost Song, I think the game is more 'inviting' than Hallow Fragment on a number of gameplay levels. While Hallow Fragment can be compared to say, Xenoblade Chronicles of Phantasy Star Online for its systems/mechanics, Lost Song is more of a direct action game like Kingdom Hearts or Tales Of but with the ability to fly and some elements of Hallow Fragment like the Sword Arts returning. So, just on a gameplay level, Lost Song has a great shot at resonating with modern gamers due to its gameplay systems mirroring other games (you could also compare it to games like the Witcher or Dragon Age with how both deal with melee combat).

SerTapTap

Goodness the generic characters in Operation Abyss are ugly. I assume they're create-a-characters? Can you make them...not-ugly manually?

Type 0 was a moderate trainwreck, between the motion blur, the extremely late localization, lack of PSP/Vita localizaiton, weird camera controls and IMO not looking much better than their PSP->PS3 remasters. If I hadn't bought the LE with Gamer's Club Unlock's discount I'd probably have sold it long before they fixed the motion blur, still haven't played it since.

There is a good reason for Digimon CS coming to PS4 and Vita instead of just Vita; the PS4 is a good place to for western audiences to play console JP games (as the X1 doesn't seem to be that viable for that despite efforts being made ala convincing Square to put FFXV and KH3 on the consoles and the Wii U not doing so well).

I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more games hitting PS4 + West from Japan. It's a smart move to focus on localization really and it should have started earlier (some series already sold better in the west like Disgaea/Neptunia), but with the PS4 doing so well in the west it's a no brainer. And making a Japanese-only PS4 game (or worse, Xbox One game) is just silly, I assume nearly anything that hits PS4 will come over and I suspect more PS4/Vita stuff will come.

And games being designed for Vita first is a bit annoying to me at a technical level, but most of these games wouldn't have been super technically ambitious and Vita ->PS4 all but guarantees 1080/FPS and hopefully some AA so that's nice. Hell Estival Versus looks fantastic.

I can see HF not being nearly as successful on Vita due it be a late port/remaster, as like you said, by now anyone who was interested in the series likely got the game. But still, I do see HF doing well on PS4 :). And Lost Song will be very successful on both PS Vita and PS4; the former due to it being on Vita and a solid game in the series while the latter due to the PS4's higher user-based getting the game due to interest in the anime or from its upgrades/incentives (HF being free if you pre-order, cross-save with Vita version, ect).
This ^ he got my point. HF has been out for a long time. The number of Vita users that own a PS4 is huge. There are some folks that own only one of the two, but a lot of them own both. LS selling on both consoles give those who own both consoles a choice. To buy a native Vita version, which is fine. OR buying the shinier, smoother experience that can be remote played on their Vitas with very little issues making for what essentially could be said to be a superior way of experiencing the same game.

RK128

Type 0 was a moderate trainwreck, between the motion blur, the extremely late localization, lack of PSP/Vita localizaiton, weird camera controls and IMO not looking much better than their PSP->PS3 remasters. If I hadn't bought the LE with Gamer's Club Unlock's discount I'd probably have sold it long before they fixed the motion blur, still haven't played it since.

I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more games hitting PS4 + West from Japan. It's a smart move to focus on localization really and it should have started earlier (some series already sold better in the west like Disgaea/Neptunia), but with the PS4 doing so well in the west it's a no brainer. And making a Japanese-only PS4 game (or worse, Xbox One game) is just silly, I assume nearly anything that hits PS4 will come over and I suspect more PS4/Vita stuff will come.

And games being designed for Vita first is a bit annoying to me at a technical level, but most of these games wouldn't have been super technically ambitious and Vita ->PS4 all but guarantees 1080/FPS and hopefully some AA so that's nice. Hell Estival Versus looks fantastic.

You bring up a great point about Typo-0; Bamco didn't pull that with Digimon CS nor Sword Art Online: Lost Song, so I respect them a lot more then Square regarding respect for the Vita. If you are porting a Vita game to the PS4 in the west for greater shots at success, be cool and bring over the Vita versions as well so that way you don't burn the people that heavily requested your game to be localized (I could of just imagined the shit-storm that would have happened if Digimon CS only got localized for PS4 and not Vita X().

And JP putting there Vita games on PS4? Smart move on a developmental level as well. The Vita is the perfect 'gate-way' platform for not just Indie developers but for JP developers too but for two different reasons; indies have a much easier time working with the hardware on Vita first then they up-port to PS4 while JP developers can work with hardware they are very familiar with (Vita) then up-port the games with higher resolutions and frame rates to make their stylistic games look even better.

That way they can ensure success in there home region while also ensuring success in the west by the game being on the more exposed/purchased platform (PS4).

If I get the Minecraft Minecon skin pack on one system does it give it to me on all of them? I got it on the Vita but I only see that version of it in my download history on the Vita.

Shizuka

happy birthday Shizuka! :D

Thanks, wil!

Happy birthday Shizuka!

Thank you, names!

giphy.gif

SerTapTap

Did I hear that Deception IV game has a demo now? Was always slightly interested

Zero Escape 3 Limited Watch Bonus Edition for $39.99 at Amazon.com?

Huh?! Did they even announce this? I barely see any info but I guess I may as well claim a preorder if it's limited and no extra cost

Has to be a pricing error though? I've preordered but will they honour it? :/

Amazon will honor anything short of a third party seller pulling the item claiming it was in error, and even then I don't think third parties are supposed to do that.

ZeroAKA

:v
pre-ordered

Hated myself for missing the previous watches, not going to happen this time
My VLR preorder watch arrived with multiple scratches before I even opened the box. Can't complain too much since it was basically a free bonus though.

Hikami

Has to be a pricing error though? I've preordered but will they honour it? :/
Yeah if it is one then amazon will honor it, I've gotten stuff like that before.
I still even have Kingdom Hearts 3 for PS4 pre-ordered at $40 because of a price error earlier this year.

one of the good things about the vita having so few players sometimes is that in games with leaderboards I can get in the top 100 and pretend i'm mlg

couple of top 50s in geometry wars three :O

Top Bottom