• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | December 2014

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just spent like five hours playing Raiden IV: OverKill. Holy shit. If you like shmups, buy this while it's on sale. $10 is the perfect price point. It's really great. There's a lot of content, too. Tons of modes, online leaderboards, pretty much everything you could want from a shmup.

TOTP: Um...yeah buy Raiden IV: OverKill.

Obligatory Vita TOTP because this is ostensibly the Vita OT: Buy P4G.

wilflare

Just spent like five hours playing Raiden IV: OverKill. Holy shit. If you like shmups, buy this while it's on sale. $10 is the perfect price point. It's really great. There's a lot of content, too. Tons of modes, online leaderboards, pretty much everything you could want from a shmup.

TOTP: Um...yeah buy Raiden IV: OverKill.

Obligatory Vita TOTP because this is ostensibly the Vita OT: Buy P4G.

which console is Raiden IV on?
if it's PS4 or Vita, I'll jump on it

nampad

I was about to try Invokers Tournament and the servers are offline/there is a connection problem. 2014 is really a shitty year for online gaming.

FranXico

Mandatory Virtua Tennis 4 screenshot from Google since the game is on sale:

Still one of the nicest-looking games on the Vita. Buy it, people.

Seconded, I bought in a sale last year, and it both looks great and plays very fluidly. Highly recommended.

maouvin

I was about to try Invokers Tournament and the servers are offline/there is a connection problem. 2014 is really a shitty year for online gaming.

It'll be fixed without patching, at least:

https://twitter.com/InvokersGame/status/540215916450304000

@Minecraftler_:
2014-12-03 17:30:05 UTC
@InvokersGame i can not play the game on the ps Vita, it say i have No Connection but i have a Connection :(

@InvokersGame:
2014-12-03 17:32:27 UTC
@Minecraftler_ Hi! It's an issue we are working on. We hope PSVita players will be able to connect soon.

@Minecraftler_:
2014-12-03 17:35:17 UTC
@InvokersGame will this issue fix in the next Update or is this a server issue?

@InvokersGame:
2014-12-03 18:48:05 UTC
@Minecraftler_ PSVita users can't connect to the login server. Very likely this will be fixed soon without any update.

maouvin

Holy crap, from 2011? I only just signed up for PS+ this August. o_o

You probably got a free month back then and grabbed those. PS+ games go up on the download list whenever you renew/sign up again (and whenever the store feels like doing so), so that's why they're showing up there again.

bobohoro

Can someone explain 'mmo-like' battle system in greater depth? I have never played an MMO and really have no idea what that means, it's completely foreign to me. However, I'm intrigued and care mostly about the battle systems in games.

I'll try to keep it short and simple.
  • In SAO you have an auto-attack as your basic action, you get near an enemy in battle stance and wail away.
  • This builds up Burst which lets you execute stronger attacks, parries, evaede manouvers and other stuff.
  • There is a risk-system in place that influences burstgauge build-up and balances your offense/defense.
  • Additionally you have access to vast amounts of skills which range from damaging attacks with varied properties to buffs/debuffs and healing. All those skills have cooldown phases.
  • Basically a battle requires you to time your fundamental actions (attack, evade, parry, burst) and keep an eye on your skills and strategically manage effects and cooldowns.

The learning curve is pretty steep at the beginning and the game does a bad job at explaining its systems, but there are some good tutorials to be found on blogs and youtube and from there you just discover stuff yourself. It is not the most exciting or complex battle system, but it certainly has depth and lots of customisable elements that lead to interesting strategies.

SerTapTap

This is so much me. I scan The Drop, Store Update, and Sale posts on the PS Blog and if it says PS3 beside the game I simply ignore it.

If you want shmups you're going to have to accept playing on PS3 (and 360) for some time. Raiden 5 is coming to Xbox One and if it comes to PS4 it'll probably be several years and a different version just like Raiden 4 overkill

And people complain that we get Binding of Isaac Rebirth, on release day no less. Crazy how much PS+ has improved.

Tizoc

If you want shmups you're going to have to accept playing on PS3 (and 360) for some time. Raiden 5 is coming to Xbox One and if it comes to PS4 it'll probably be several years and a different version just like Raiden 4 overkill

And people complain that we get Binding of Isaac Rebirth, on release day no less. Crazy how much PS+ has improved.

There are shmups available on PS Vita. Granted they're mainly PSP and PSX games but they're good ones.

SerTapTap

There are shmups available on PS Vita. Granted they're mainly PSP and PSX games but they're good ones.

Yeah it's got some old stuff, but I'd rather play on console and almost no new/"new for a port" stuff comes to anything but PS3 or, bafflingly, 360/Xbox One. Though I might get gradius collection now that I have a PS TV to play it on. Dodging bullets and dinky screens aren't my favorite combo

Averon

So my launch Vita has stopped charging yesterday. Going to buy a new charging cable to see if that works. If not, I'll likely have to buy a Vita 2000 to replace. And I JUST got Freedom Wars yesterday, too.

It will be painful to give up that OLED screen :(

antibolo

Banned
So my launch Vita has stopped charging yesterday. Going to buy a new charging cable to see if that works, if not, I'll likely have to buy a Vita 2000 to replace. And I JUST got Freedom Wars yesterday, too.

The contacts may need some cleaning up.

Sarcasm

So my launch Vita has stopped charging yesterday. Going to buy a new charging cable to see if that works. If not, I'll likely have to buy a Vita 2000 to replace. And I JUST got Freedom Wars yesterday, too.

You won't miss it..I don't. Though the OLED was never mine. Don't care for eye bleeding lol.

nampad

Thought I had this problem too but now my Vita works normally and charges normally. Just leave it plugged in for a while.

Sarcasm

Oh with some electronics with age if you actually let the battery die sometimes it won't charge/takes a long time..called trickle charge.

So avoid doing that.

autoduelist

Wow...seems like I'm the only person who bought Monopoly Deal.

Couldn't find a match or a single game at all. Either that or Ubi borked the servers. It's only $5 but still, I better be able to play this. Love this card game.

Is there a single player component with decent AI? Tell me more. Never played it, but I like card games/monopoly.

I'll try to keep it short and simple.
  • In SAO you have an auto-attack as your basic action, you get near an enemy in battle stance and wail away.
  • This builds up Burst which lets you execute stronger attacks, parries, evaede manouvers and other stuff.
  • There is a risk-system in place that influences burstgauge build-up and balances your offense/defense.
  • Additionally you have access to vast amounts of skills which range from damaging attacks with varied properties to buffs/debuffs and healing. All those skills have cooldown phases.
  • Basically a battle requires you to time your fundamental actions (attack, evade, parry, burst) and keep an eye on your skills and strategically manage effects and cooldowns.

The learning curve is pretty steep at the beginning and the game does a bad job at explaining its systems, but there are some good tutorials to be found on blogs and youtube and from there you just discover stuff yourself. It is not the most exciting or complex battle system, but it certainly has depth and lots of customisable elements that lead to interesting strategies.

Learning curve is no problem. I think I get the general concept, with lots of skills/cooldowns. For the basics, if I understand you correctly, if you just stand near an enemy and walk away you'd continue to auto-attack, but in order to actually win you'd need to use skills as they become available and evade/parry. Not totally sure what you mean by 'risk system'. I do like that it seems like there's a lot of skills and thus customization of characters.

Sounds pretty cool to me, as far as action rpgs go. I just wish it was like $17-20 to make my decision easier.

Tizoc

I dunno if Toy Story Racer's aged well or not, but I like that it is like playing Remote Control cars with power-ups. Doesn't seem to have drifting like Mario Kart, but it looks decent on the Vita.

thenexus6

Playing Deadly Premonition for the first time, wow this game looks terrible. Not sure if i've just become a snob since getting a PS4 but wow

SerTapTap

Playing Deadly Premonition for the first time, wow this game looks terrible. Not sure if i've just become a snob since getting a PS4 but wow

I thought it was basically a cult classic because it was enjoyably janky. I haven't loaded it up myself yet, been meaning too. Too many games from blackcyber monfriday

nampad

I imagine the issue is more so buying a battery than removing it. AFAIK Sony doesn't sell them officially.

While they may not be originals, replacement batteries should be easy to find. There were some available shortly after launch.
Some people even modded their Vita battery with an additional PSP one to get more juice.

Oh with some electronics with age if you actually let the battery die sometimes it won't charge/takes a long time..called trickle charge.

So avoid doing that.

The Vita battery never really drains completely unless you leave it "dead" for a LONG time.

When the Vita says "Low Battery" and shuts off, it still has ~10% left to keep everything in a low power state so you can resume gaming immediately when it's charged.

So, yeah - running out your Vita battery isn't actually running out your Vita battery, it's just using all that's available to you. ;)

v1perz53

This is so much me. I scan The Drop, Store Update, and Sale posts on the PS Blog and if it says PS3 beside the game I simply ignore it.

It's funny, I'm almost the opposite. I more or less know exactly what I want that is coming out on Vita, and I have everything already out that I want (I am addicted to buying Vita games), and nothing on PS4 really interests me (especially indies that also have a vita version, I always prefer indies handheld it seems). So whenever a blog/sale/drop goes up, I scan almost exclusively for random PS3 gems that I didn't know existed but could interest me. But I totally understand where you are coming from. I guess I got a PS3 very late in the cycle, so there are a ton of games available to surprise me.

Though I don't play those either due to my tremendous backlog and the fact that WoW:WoD somehow managed to suck me back in despite swearing to myself I would never play this again..

bobohoro

Learning curve is no problem. I think I get the general concept, with lots of skills/cooldowns. For the basics, if I understand you correctly, if you just stand near an enemy and walk away you'd continue to auto-attack, but in order to actually win you'd need to use skills as they become available and evade/parry. Not totally sure what you mean by 'risk system'. I do like that it seems like there's a lot of skills and thus customization of characters.

Sounds pretty cool to me, as far as action rpgs go. I just wish it was like $17-20 to make my decision easier.

Yeah to win against high level enemies (where all the real fun is, honestly) you need to know which skills to use, how to manage their attack patterns and when to retreat to heal up.

The risk system is one of the more omnious systems. You basically have a risk-level from 0 to 5 that rises with your usage of burst and skills. You can get it back down with parries, evades and if you switch with one of the NPCs, changing enemy aggro from you to them. At level 0 your burst gauge fills pretty damn fast, at level 5 it nearly doesn't move at all. So you have to think about when to burst or use skills and when it's better to take a step back and reset your risk level.

Tizoc

SNK have a poll asking what game you'd like to see next on PSV/PS4/PS3.
www.poll-maker.com/results185929x7A504b88-7

Vote for Garou to finally experience this badass on your 1080p
grant-the-badass.jpg

I'm still buying for my PS3. I look at it as my legacy console. Lots of ways to play games from the past three generations. In fact I am now looking to purchase at least a few digital games on PS3 that I have on 360 so that I can not feel so bad when it comes time to mothball the Xbox. I need to make space under my TV for new hardware in the future but I don't think I'll be unhooking my 500 GB super slim for a long, long time....

Producer

Wow Gamestop is fast with their shipping.
Ordered the 32gb card on Cyber Monday with the free shipping and i recieved it already.

Damn, looking at my library i dont know if 32gb is gonna cut it..

SerTapTap

I'm still buying for my PS3. I look at it as my legacy console. Lots of ways to play games from the past three generations. In fact I am now looking to purchase at least a few digital games on PS3 that I have on 360 so that I can not feel so bad when it comes time to mothball the Xbox. I need to make space under my TV for new hardware in the future but I don't think I'll be unhooking my 500 GB super slim for a long, long time....

PS3 still gets more use than the Wii U, and at times more than anything else. Still going strong. Wish I could play that all on the PS4, but until I can, it stays hooked up.

Cha

I bought Virtua Tennis 4 for the Vita yesterday. I've been waiting for it to be discounted for a while. This game is GORGEOUS and runs really smoothly. So impressed by the quality of this title so far. The character facial customization was unexpectedly VERY detailed too.

Unfortunately, it adds to my backlog :/ Persona 4 Golden really hogged a lot of my Vita time.
So far, I have yet to complete:
Danganronpa 2 (At chapter 2. Yes, I am ashamed. Again, I blame P4G)
Soul Sacrifice Delta
The Unfinished Swan
Akiba's Trip
Virtua Tennis 4.

At the rate that I play at. This is gonna take me months.

JJP12

Is anyone here still playing Tales of Heart r? I am and it's so good.
Yes it's become my end of the day ritual. It's the perfect game to play for about 30-60 minutes before bed. I am really loving the old school jrpg feel and I really hope we can get a few more like this in the future because tales feels so good on the vita.

v1perz53

PS3 still gets more use than the Wii U, and at times more than anything else. Still going strong. Wish I could play that all on the PS4, but until I can, it stays hooked up.

Definitely agree with that, especially since most of my PS3 games I play with my DS4 (thank god they let you use DS4 wireless now, though no rumble). PS3 and Wii U see more use than my PS4, though lately that has been because of smash. I do think that most of the big name Wii U games are more my speed than the big name PS4 games have been though, played Mario 3D World + Mario Kart more than everything on my PS4 combined.

SerTapTap

Definitely agree with that, especially since most of my PS3 games I play with my DS4 (thank god they let you use DS4 wireless now, though no rumble). PS3 and Wii U see more use than my PS4, though lately that has been because of smash. I do think that most of the big name Wii U games are more my speed than the big name PS4 games have been though, played Mario 3D World + Mario Kart more than everything on my PS4 combined.

I'd love to use the DS4 but it's too inconsistent on PS3. I have enough issues on PC with controllers to bring that confusion to console-land. Would love it if they somehow brought true native support to PS3 for it instead of just directinput support

Producer

The loading screens are actually the artwork from New Wave. Damn good artwork nonetheless, you guys should check out the rest of the cards

Top Bottom