• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | December 2014

maouvin

EDIT: You guys are sure about Soul Sacrifice appearing twice? I don't remember it.

I remember it being free, as autoduelist said, right before Delta launched, but iirc it wasn't announced as one of the monthly free games.
I don't even think it was announced at all.

ZeroAKA

I remember it being free, as autoduelist said, right before Delta launched, but iirc it wasn't announced as one of the monthly free games.
I don't even think it was announced at all.
Yeah, it was kind of a stealth move. I doubt many people knew about it.

autoduelist

I've been mildly tempted by the very cheap Wolftenstein TNO and Evil Within deals, but how do they play on PS4? Both seem like I should get on PC, TNO because of FPS, TEW because of the poor performance, FOV and black bars.

I loved Wolfenstein on PS4, but I don't mind playing FPS on controllers. If not having keyboard/mouse does you in, then, yeah, PC. Incredibly fun game imo, really revitalized my interest in FPS... hard to explain, just a fun game.

I picked up Evil Within during the Black Friday sales, along with Alien Isolation, Dynasty Warriors, Call of Duty and a pile of vita games (oh, and even more PSN games)... but you know, well, Binding of Isaac happened.

But since I platinumed BoI recently I think I'm finally free to play other games. I think Alien Isolation will be first.

I want some repeats (mainly for vita) cause I am a poor SOB.

The initial introduction of Vita games to PS+ (wipeout, uncharted, etc) forced my hand and got me to buy a Vita. Between the sale amazon had at the time (BF a couple years ago), plus the price tag on all those games, it was a no brainer for me. I have no idea how people that have had ps+ since the beginning of vita's addition to the lineup have resisted buying one. It's the biggest 'free' library/backlog of all time. Brilliant, really.

Since this is a PSN thread and we have most of Vita GAF here I will be putting this here:

Gamespot Final Fantasy Type-0 preview

It shows some new footage of the latest build of the game and the person who played it shares her opinion on how she thinks the game is coming along. I'll be honest, I like what they did with the visuals, they have this "smoothness" to them that I can't explain, and their usage of motion blur in my opinion is actually great. Looking forward to playing it on my glorious Vita OLED through remote play (which like I said many times already, is the only way I will be playing this game
and you should too
).

Shizuka

Since this is a PSN thread and we have most of Vita GAF here I will be putting this here:

It shows some new footage of the latest build of the game and the person who played it shares her opinion on how she thinks the game is coming along. I'll be honest, I like what they did with the visuals, they have this "smoothness" to them that I can't explain, and their usage of motion blur in my opinion is actually great. Looking forward to playing it on my glorious Vita OLED through remote play (which like I said many times already, is the only way I will be playing this game
and you should too
).

Buy me a PS4.
Who am I kidding, I'm buying a PS4 just for Type-0.

ecurbj

and you should too
).
Yes. YES! I can't wait.

:D

SerTapTap

and you should too
).

I dunno, doesn't look quite as good as the Birth By Sleep remaster to be other than lighting (and hopefully IQ). Artstyle considered, anyway. Enemies and characters look alright I guess. Can't get too excited for paying $60 for this when I got 4 KH games, 2 KH movies, a Heartless plush, a fancy steelbook and an okay artbook for $100. I kinda wish I could just pay them for the collector's edition crap and leave the game. I want to think the FFXV demo adds value to it but I haven't been interested in an FF since X-2 (and even that was a bit of a mistake)

I've been mildly tempted by the very cheap Wolftenstein TNO and Evil Within deals, but how do they play on PS4? Both seem like I should get on PC, TNO because of FPS, TEW because of the poor performance, FOV and black bars.

Both ran really great on PS4. Evil Within is not the greatest looking game and Wolfenstien is inconsistent on the graphics looking but both are at a good framerate. I like Wolfenstien consistently better. Evil Within has a lot of neat stuff in it but some parts were not very good and broken next to some really awesome parts. It would have been cool if in Evil Within you could have done it Hitman style and never have to face hoards of enemies.

Buy me a PS4.
Who am I kidding, I'm buying a PS4 just for Type-0.

Eh I feel like 2015 has PLENTY of reasons to buy a PS4 :p Good decision aha

These things don't relate, though.

Don't be like that LOL it hurts a lot as is. At least like I said, you get to experience the game on your Vita with beefed up graphics
shame it requires 2 consoles to do it but yeah...

I dunno, doesn't look quite as good as the Birth By Sleep remaster to be other than lighting (and hopefully IQ). Artstyle considered, anyway. Enemies and characters look alright I guess. Can't get too excited for paying $60 for this when I got 4 KH games, 2 KH movies, a Heartless plush, a fancy steelbook and an okay artbook for $100. I kinda wish I could just pay them for the collector's edition crap and leave the game. I want to think the FFXV demo adds value to it but I haven't been interested in an FF since X-2 (and even that was a bit of a mistake)

Hmm I have played Type-0 on my computer through emulation of the UMD, with that patch that released a while ago. I also made sure to play with 4x AA and 1080p resolution and all that stuff. The game did not look nearly as good as it does in this footage I can assure you of that. They really did put in the work. I hope those camera issues get sorted out in the end, but it is looking like it'll be a great time. Also, FF XV demo :)

and you should too
).

Looks fucking ugly. Shitting this out on this-gen consoles without proper graphic upgrade is just an insult.

Redhood

Play-Asia just shipped my copy of DJ MAX! :happypuppy"

Also Miku2nd graced me yesterday.

I hate almost all the miku songs. Thankfully Luka saved the day.

New Vita owner with a 64GB card.

If I wanted to download both Danganronpa games and Freedom Wars on my Vita, is the Playstation Store the only place I can go and wait for deals/sales? Or is it possible to get digital downloads via Amazon, Gamestop, whatever with good deals?

SerTapTap

Hmm I have played Type-0 on my computer through emulation of the UMD, with that patch that released a while ago. I also made sure to play with 4x AA and 1080p resolution and all that stuff. The game did not look nearly as good as it does in this footage I can assure you of that. They really did put in the work. I hope those camera issues get sorted out in the end, but it is looking like it'll be a great time. Also, FF XV demo :)

Yeah I'm sure they have some better assets than the PSP version shipped with, but I'd say BBS in KH2.5 HD and Ghost of Sparta look better. The more I think about it, I mostly just want that Amano steelbook and FFXV demo.

New Vita owner with a 64GB card.

If I wanted to download both Danganronpa games and Freedom Wars on my Vita, is the Playstation Store the only place I can go and wait for deals/sales? Or is it possible to get digital downloads via Amazon, Gamestop, whatever with good deals?

Amazon has digital downloads but they're basically never on sale. They're basically there for people who don't want to use credit cards or even buy PSN cards, best I can tell.

Yeah I'm sure they have some better assets than the PSP version shipped with, but I'd say BBS in KH2.5 HD and Ghost of Sparta look better. The more I think about it, I mostly just want that Amano steelbook and FFXV demo.

I'm jealous of those who can afford the LE. The shipping to Canada raises its price to almost 200$, and I cannot pay that much money for a game, specially in february/march when all these awesome games are coming out

Tizoc

Amazon has digital downloads but they're basically never on sale. They're basically there for people who don't want to use credit cards or even buy PSN cards, best I can tell.

PSN content on Amazon do go on sale, they have been on sale some time last year too as I recall.
Just recently flow was on sale for like $2.xx for example.

SerTapTap

Hmm, so I mostly have to hope Sony includes those games in their holiday sale. Thanks!

Pretty much. PSN Sales aren't quite Steam Sales, but they have decent enough discounts lately. 50-75% off sales aren't uncommon, but usually selection isn't especially vast.

I'm jealous of those who can afford the LE. The shipping to Canada raises its price to almost 200$, and I cannot pay that much money for a game, specially in february/march when all these awesome games are coming out

I wish they'd just put these things on Amazon. Not like IFI did though. But seriously, paid shipping for a $100, fairly light, moderately sized item. Just bugs me, plus they never even sent shipping info for my KH2.5 CE. Just showed up at my door. I guess it's an improvement over the Digital River store where I couldn't even check out.

I wish they'd just put these things on Amazon. Not like IFI did though. But seriously, paid shipping for a $100, fairly light, moderately sized item. Just bugs me, plus they never even sent shipping info for my KH2.5 CE. Just showed up at my door. I guess it's an improvement over the Digital River store where I couldn't even check out.

I hear you, I mean I love me an LE but whenever companies put out their packages and u can only get them from their website, even though Canada is literally right next to the US we get hit with international fees, almost feels like we live on the opposite side of the globe lol. The package sure looks nice, trust me I'm crying inside, but I really have to pass on it

SerTapTap

PSN content on Amazon do go on sale, they have been on sale some time last year too as I recall.
Just recently flow was on sale for like $2.xx for example.

I never hear about 'em on GAF/Cheap Ass Gamer's twitter, usually higher price than physical when I look on Amazon too

VLiberty

One of the room in R&C2 Insomniac Museum has a "mirror" that shows the last snapshot took in game. Of cours I made an inception-like screen

I wonder if it's on purpose though. I would be shocked if Mass Media added such a minor, hidden thing, lol.

Tapejara

Play-Asia just shipped my copy of DJ MAX! :happypuppy"

Also Miku2nd graced me yesterday.

I hate almost all the miku songs. Thankfully Luka saved the day.

You have made a good choice with DJMAX.

Road Not Taken (you probably already own it for PS+ for PS4) just got a big free update. New difficulty modes, bug fixes, some added content too.
Free tentacles!

Anyone try out the update? Initial impressionfrom GAF/reviews seemed to be middling; does the update fix any of the problems found at launch?

SerTapTap

You have made a good choice with DJMAX.

Anyone try out the update? Initial impressionfrom GAF/reviews seemed to be middling; does the update fix any of the problems found at launch?

I didn't really have any problems beyond difficulty and finding a few things obtuse (but it's a roguelike sorta thing, so...). I rather enjoyed it once I got the hang of it, and the game's fairly good about teaching you things as long as you try and interact with things. Most people just seemed to freak out about not being able to set things down (which is simply not how the puzzles are designed to work) and the difficulty (fair--but there are save points you can use which makes it fairly forgiving.)

The banned item fix is very welcome though. There are some manually designed puzzles I found really fiendish and wanted to ban them. Screw lodestones. Also apparently they made checkpoints "more forgiving"--not sure what they mean by that, they used to take all your stuff except banlist and secrets, but you don't NEED any of that crap to win, so...

Haven't tried the update yet myself but I'll give it another go. It's a really charming looking game with slowly revealed, grim lore, I really like that. But you have to remember it's a puzzle game and it's not really meant to be an easy one.

Tapejara

I didn't really have any problems beyond difficulty and finding a few things obtuse (but it's a roguelike sorta thing, so...). I rather enjoyed it once I got the hang of it, and the game's fairly good about teaching you things as long as you try and interact with things. Most people just seemed to freak out about not being able to set things down (which is simply not how the puzzles are designed to work) and the difficulty (fair--but there are save points you can use which makes it fairly forgiving.)

The banned item fix is very welcome though. There are some manually designed puzzles I found really fiendish and wanted to ban them. Screw lodestones. Also apparently they made checkpoints "more forgiving"--not sure what they mean by that, they used to take all your stuff except banlist and secrets, but you don't NEED any of that crap to win, so...

Haven't tried the update yet myself but I'll give it another go. It's a really charming looking game with slowly revealed, grim lore, I really like that. But you have to remember it's a puzzle game and it's not really meant to be an easy one.

Cool, then I probably would have enjoyed it pre-patch anyway.

SerTapTap

Cool, then I probably would have enjoyed it pre-patch anyway.

You might still want to play on Easy/normal/whatever they call it. I think the biggest problem people have is not understanding it's a roguelike so they screw up without realizing death is a pretty big deal, but even knowing that there are a few situations where shit hits the fan fast (there's a spelunky ghost style mechanic where things start appearing and you need to leave very fast). There are also a few, er, particularly high stakes rooms you're likely to find by the end of the game but I won't spoil them.

The two single most important things for surviving a run are that you can use stone bowls to make a checkpoint, and you do not need to rescue ALL of the kids. IF you rescue at least half of the kids you're fine (but get less energy and townspeople like you less), and you get one free pass on rescuing less than half. Of course you can't use either of those tactics for a "perfect" run, but do not attempt to make your first run perfect because it's a fairly hard game and you're gonna screw something up.

Spryfox also has a good quickstart guide that doesn't spoil very much at all. Also an ingame "secrets" thing populates as you discover item combinations (hints to which are often given), or as you give presents to villagers.

2015 is stacked with good games
Yep, on vita I'm planning on buying:
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Persona 4: Dancing All Night
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters
Cosmic Star Heroine
Zodiac
SteinsGate
Hatoful Boyfriend
Sword Art Online: Lost Song
Trails in the Sky SC
And I'm assuming Chaos Rings and Danganronpa: Another episode will be localized, and then I'll buy them as well.

Top Bottom