• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

Looks more like... 7th Dragon 2020.

Dang I believe remember playing the JP demo or something like that. Chibi looking character models, with this slick 2D artwork going on, in a post apocalyptic setting? I always hoped it would come over. Alas...

EDIT: totp again, really? Next post gets to do the recommendation LOL.

I was able to trade my 16GB + some money for a 64GB card in the BST thread and it was such a nice deal that I couldn't refuse, so I finally joined the club.
h8hGXfv.jpg

Aaaand it's almost full
ONHitTy.jpg

Got pretty much everything on it I wanted though, so that's nice. Made me painfully aware of my backlog though.
Bonus anime girl face screenshot

SerTapTap

What's the pixelated game in the top right, is it banned game?

It's monster monpiece which isn't "banned" to the best of my recollection. I was going to post a female anime face page screenshot but I'm still one short, even if I count Monomi, Yumi and Kat as "female anime face". No miku or atelier in my library means I'll probably have to wait until another Neptunia or NISA game

It's monster monpiece which isn't "banned" to the best of my recollection.
I can't find a source but I'm pretty sure it is.
About two months ago. I looked for it in November and it was there, and then went to buy at new year and it wasn't.
That's a shame. I wonder what happened. :/ It's still availabe in the US though. It was published directly by ATLUS in EU too. Could someone try and ask @JohnLHardin on twitter why it was removed? He blocked me so I can't lol (I think because of a SMT IV EU joke I made one time)

Tizoc

Alright US Vita GAF, who's ready to waste their money?

Metal Slug 1 PSP
A good port of one of the best run n' gun games of all time. While the later games kinda jumped the shark with aliens and whacko ass monsters, MS1 felt alike a pure military shooting game...with SD characters...AND ROCKET LAWNCHAIRS! Game still holds up and while there is slight slowdown, the game performs just fine on the Vita, get in on dat ish.

Metal Slug X PSX may not be the best port of this great run n' gun game but it gets the job done, while liking an auto fire option, it is still a blast to play with a fantastic soundtrack and non-stop action.

King of Fighters '99 PSX was one of the last KoF games to get released on PSX.
While KoF 2000 is superior to it in every way, its soundtrack ranks among SNK's best, but the gameplay brings to mind KoF 96 and how SNK couldn't properly figure out how to advance the combat system until its successor(s). As such you have odd stuff like specific super cancelable moves while in MAX (Red) mode along with it offering inf. supers. among other things.
Still it debuted K' and co. and can still be fun to mess with from time to time.

Guerrilla War has you play as Fidel Casto and Che Guevera as you murder people in the name of freedom and what have you, how can you say no to that?

League Bowling is always a great alternative to Tekken 3's Tekken Bowling.

Magician Lord is considered one of the best Action game on the Neo Geo, and having more 2D scrolling action games on the go is never a bad thing.

NeoGeo Heroes Ultimate Shooting has various SNK characters flying and firing projectiles and dodge hundreds of bullets on-screen, if you like bullet hells give this game a try. Major props. for making Rhythmic Hallucination the usual boss theme. Also comes with its predecessor game KoF SkyStage.

Prehistoric Isle has you flying a biplane and blowing up dinosaurs THAT EXPLODE WHEN THEY DIE; HOW CAN YOU HATE ON THAT?!
Game is rather unfair and you will be dieing a lot but hey it has dinosaurs that can jump 100 feet into the air, cavemen carried by prehistoric dinosaur bats, dinosaurs that spit fireballs at you and the final boss is
a T-rex whose head is bigger than a brachiosaurs

Will post more later~

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Cool!

The Beginners Guide section of the google doc should really have a mention along the lines of "Mars is hard, you may need to grind". This kind of harsh early boss is really demoralizing to new players, and should be made clear that it is unbalanced.

Hell, it's not even mentioned in the boss guide section.

Its called git gud.

The tools and information is available and if you are too lazy to make use of that its all on you and your attitude.

Its why I constantly say DRPGs make pretty good personality tests.

Not everyone is cut out to play DRPGs and thats perfectly fine, just as we all have a particular genre we do not play.

redcrayon

Admittedly I play a lot of dungeon crawlers, but the only thing I thought was particularly unbalanced in Demon Gaze was in the player's favour, the healing staff allowing unlimited uses. You get it right at the start and it's useful right up to the endgame, effectively completely healing your entire party for free after each fight, and working as a minor heal without burning mp during battle. I felt like it shouldn't actually work at all outside of battle, or at least only work half a dozen times a day/floor etc. I only really used healing magic in boss battles because of it, it's such a crutch that if I play DG again I'll leave it behind.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The only thing I thought was unbalanced in Demon Gaze was in the player's favour, the healing staff allowing unlimited uses. You get it really early on and it's useful right up to the endgame, effectively completely healing your entire party for free after each fight, and working as a minor heal without burning mp during battle. I felt like it shouldn't actually work outside of battle, or at least only work half a dozen times a day/floor etc. I only really used healing magic in boss battles because of it.

Stranger of Sword City fixes that with items that have uses getting "cursed" at random making it useless till you leave the dungeon and have it uncursed.

But basically it does make things a lot easier as you do not have to worry about your healers MP pool being wasted with constant healing.

redcrayon

Stranger of Sword City fixes that with items that have uses getting "cursed" at random making it useless till you leave the dungeon and have it uncursed.

But basically it does make things a lot easier as you do not have to worry about your healers MP pool being wasted with constant healing.
Yeah, I liked the (admittedly different) curses in Elminage too, making you appraise stuff before equipping it, just like my vicious old D&D GM! "That sword looks good... Perhaps too good..."

I really hope Stranger of Sword City comes to the EU on Vita somehow, I can't wait to play it!.

I do think the difference between having a healing staff and not having one in Demon Gaze is just too much though- no other entry-level (or any-level for that matter) item is as valuable, if you found it 20 hours into the game you'd think it was the most valuable item you'd ever seen, a staff of unlimited healing, all day every day, and apparently it's about as common as buying a bucket! :D

redcrayon

I can't find a source but I'm pretty sure it is.

That's a shame. I wonder what happened. :/ It's still availabe in the US though. It was published directly by ATLUS in EU too. Could someone try and ask @JohnLHardin on twitter why it was removed? He blocked me so I can't lol (I think because of a SMT IV EU joke I made one time)

Sorry mate, I'm not on twitter or I'd ask. Perhaps a kindly gaffer can do so on our behalf?

redcrayon

Brandish is a dungeon crawler right? I just treat it as an adventure game :p
It's definitely a dungeon crawler, I love the action-based gameplay. Sometimes we use it for a narrower meaning of the more turn-based ones like Grimrock, Wizardry etc etc (and in this context Demon Gaze, Stranger and Elminage that all follow that linage) that form a large chunk of the genre and as such are easy to compare like with like, but you're not wrong :) Then you've got the diablo-alike loot 'em ups too, and lots of the SMT games where you can move freely outside of combat.

Sub-basement-based adventuring is a broad church :)

Maid

Banned
Having to grind has nothing to do with skill.

It really depends on how consider "grinding", since people could get passed Mars pretty early with little leveling, and about finding the right strategy. Kaybe managed to beat Mars without grinding, as far as I see.

You could beat pretty much any RPG with grinding, and the difference is how early one could do that. That doesn't mean a game is all about grinding. It just means there is an alternative way for people who couldn't find the strat.

SerTapTap

Did everyone (with paypal orders) get this weird email from NISA's online store about paypal preorders before Jan 6th? Legit? They want a manual payment to store at nisamerica.dotcom (which is their address) for my Firefly diary order.I'm sure I've bought things before and after that with paypal without issue, not sure why only firefly is affected

antibolo

Banned
It really depends on how consider "grinding", since people could get passed Mars pretty early with little leveling, and about finding the right strategy. Kaybe managed to beat Mars without grinding, as far as I see.

You could beat pretty much any RPG with grinding, and the difference is how early one could do that. That doesn't mean a game is all about grinding. It just means there is an alternative way for people who couldn't find the strat.

My characters barely had any skills by the time I faced Mars, it was too early in the game. There was no strategy possible, period. I can't find something that can't exist yet.

Did everyone (with paypal orders) get this weird email from NISA's online store about paypal preorders before Jan 6th? Legit? They want a manual payment to store at nisamerica.dotcom (which is their address) for my Firefly diary order.I'm sure I've bought things before and after that with paypal without issue, not sure why only firefly is affected

Yeah, it's legit, I saw people dealing with this in the preorder thread. I ended up calling their support number and switching to a credit card payment.

Maid

Banned
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/02/12/ps4-ps3-ps-vita-games-in-2015-the-big-list/#sf7420876

SCEA is finally getting their shit together?

My characters barely had any skills by the time I faced Mars, it was too early in the game. There was no strategy possible, period. I can't find something that can't exist yet.

No, really, how would you define a skilled player in any RPG? If you bring a level 1 into any boss battle, no matter which game you are going to lose regardless. Obviously you will need a minimum amount of level required since this is a RPG, not a platformer or action game. The different in skill between 2 RPG players is how early they can beat a content and how many thing they can exploit without depends on one trick pony. If you think getting level is no skill then why are we play any RPG at all?

Stanng243

Has anyone given their impressions on Minutes or Unmechanical Extended? I like supporting games that are cross-buy, but my backlog is rather large right now. Thank you.

SerTapTap

Yeah, it's legit, I saw people dealing with this in the preorder thread. I ended up calling their support number and switching to a credit card payment.
Had to email them to get it changed, I have too many NISA paypal charges to be sure what I need to pay.
I thought the intro to the Makai Shin Trillion Pv was amazing.
Wallet ! Sparkle !

I bailed out after like 2 seconds and skipped to gameplay. Looked better than expected considering...that

Shizuka

Also, PQube is showing up as Steins;Gate publisher, I guess they're not getting another company to handle american distribution and the game will be DD-only in North America.

bobawesome

Also, PQube is showing up as Steins;Gate publisher, I guess they're not getting another company to handle american distribution and the game will be DD-only in North America.

This will break my heart if it's true. I can't imagine not owning a physical copy.

I guess I could always import a copy from Japan and get the download down the road.

I really hate the way European game boxes look.

Shizuka

Hope it's not a mistake. O_O

I'd get it, but it'd be the first Naruto game I play ever since 2010.

This will break my heart if it's true. I can't imagine not owning a physical copy.

I guess I could always import a copy from Japan and get the download down the road.

Europe is probably getting a retail print, that'd still be a better option compared to importing a japanese copy.

bobawesome

Europe is probably getting a retail print, that'd still be a better option compared to importing a japanese copy.

I know it's not rational but the PEGI logo kills any desire I have to purchase European games.

...and yet, ESRB and CERO are fine in my eyes. Maybe I just like throwing money away. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SerTapTap

What's so bad about European boxes, the bigger rating label? Japanese are about the same as US aside from the gross colored Cero labels on the spine that I hate. Wish they could just keep that crap on the back. Alternately every slip could have a reverse that's just boxart without cruft if they're not doing proper reversible art.

Flunkie

Banned
I was able to trade my 16GB + some money for a 64GB card in the BST thread and it was such a nice deal that I couldn't refuse, so I finally joined the club.
hhGXfv.jpg

Aaaand it's almost full
ONHitTy.jpg

Got pretty much everything on it I wanted though, so that's nice. Made me painfully aware of my backlog though.
Bonus anime girl face screenshot

I hated you for getting that deal! I want a 64GB so bad
but not $90 bad

Shizuka

The-Dean-Winchester-Single-Tear-in-When-The-Levee-Breaks-supernatural-20261995-510-260.gif

Haha.

I just had to acknowledge your hard work, that list is unbeatable.

I know it's not rational but the PEGI logo kills any desire I have to purchase European games.

...and yet, ESRB and CERO are fine in my eyes. Maybe I just like throwing money away. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have OCD where I can't buy copies of games that aren't from North America (with the ESRB logo), which is why I don't have physical copies of NLKS, Dragon Ball, FFX-2, Dokuro, among many other games.

Zhao_Yun

Be glad that you don't have to deal with German USK logos. I always have to import from the rest of Europe to avoid them.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I really like the PEGI symbols, colored and clutter free. Germany and Australia has it the worst. Boxarts are getting rearranged to make place for the ratings sometimes which is kind of hilarious. Nintendo limited editions always have both PEGI and USK and that looks awful.
I didn't intentionally grind, but my party at the time was 7/7/7 I believe. Just walking around and using gems on circles. But the thing that made me survive was the fact that you could stack evasion buffs. I thought that they would disappear after a number of turns but they didn't.

I hope this isn't the case. Keep in mind, though, that just because PQube is the publisher doesn't mean another company can't be the distributor.

as soon as you get teh +evasion skill on your healer you can beat everything in the game. If you didn't have it by the time you got to mars you went way faster than you were meant to.

bobohoro

I'd take DD-only over PQube as a publisher any day.

Be glad that you don't have to deal with German USK logos. I always have to import from the rest of Europe to avoid them.

And importing from the UK is not that attractive anymore. Dark times we livin' in. I'm considering turning to France, but french is my least favourite language in the world. :/

pariah164

I was gonna download some DLC, only to forget about the maintenance. Sigh. Why can't they do this late at night, when, y'know, nobody would use the damn thing?

Top Bottom