• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

Flandy

Look what just arrived in the mail
B9quH8ZCAAAI8nj.jpg:large

Thanks, kaioshade! :D

SerTapTap

Goddamn these Neptunia games must sell like crazy. Its like every few weeks, we get a new one announced over here lol.

Well they had 3 remakes to make. And yeah, they were popular. But not that different from the Atelier pluses, I think only Rebirth 1 is a full relocalization and all 3 are the same engine based off existing stories/assets.

autoduelist

Admittedly I play a lot of dungeon crawlers, but the only thing I thought was particularly unbalanced in Demon Gaze was in the player's favour, the healing staff allowing unlimited uses. SNIP

Totally agreed. It was a legitimate 'game changer', one that I thought was far too OP and still do. If you're going to have that, just give me full HP at the end of a battle and stop making me spam some stupid staff. I actually thought it might be a glitch because of that.

Having to grind has nothing to do with skill.
A player locked into 'bad behavior' in a game (say, never using buffs/debuffs) will need to grind far more than a player that uses every option the game makes available. As mentioned before, the SMT's press turn system is a classic example - use that properly, and you get double the turns, and can possibly even stop enemies from attacking altogether. If you don't use elemental attacks, however, the game will feel like a 'grind'.

Demon Gaze wants you to learn how to do things like find better weapons, etc. You really shouldn't need to be grinding levels.

I don't know, I cut my teeth on games like Bard's Tale, where there was a high chance of complete party death during your first random battle as soon as you leave the inn and are walking around town.

bobawesome

What's so bad about European boxes, the bigger rating label? Japanese are about the same as US aside from the gross colored Cero labels on the spine that I hate. Wish they could just keep that crap on the back. Alternately every slip could have a reverse that's just boxart without cruft if they're not doing proper reversible art.

OxmvPKS.gif

Yep, that's really all it is.

I have OCD where I can't buy copies of games that aren't from North America (with the ESRB logo), which is why I don't have physical copies of NLKS, Dragon Ball, FFX-2, Dokuro, among many other games.

Be glad that you don't have to deal with German USK logos. I always have to import from the rest of Europe to avoid them.

I'm glad you guys understand.

I played the first Rebirth game, and although I can see how people enjoy them, it's just not for me. There's rebirth 2, 3, that Noire game, Victory U, also that idol Sim one from last year... Japan is getting a new one on the ps4 too. I wonder how the fans don't get fatigued.

Flunkie

Banned
Hopefully it means that 2 will go on sale before summer. They'll probably localize V II this fall as well

I just want a sale on 1. Physical or digital, I don't care. Not gonna pay $30 for a game that I only want to play to fit in with VitaGAF and that I'm not sure if I'll like or not.

along with Senran Kagura, Akiba's, and all those things :)

SerTapTap

I played the first Rebirth game, and although I can see how people enjoy them, it's just not for me. There's rebirth 2, 3, that Noire game, Victory U, also that idol Sim one from last year... Japan is getting a new one on the ps4 too. I wonder how the fans don't get fatigued.

Hard to get fatigued of good humor and light-hearted fun, and it's really only been very recently that they're fairly common, and almost only due to the 3 remakes in short succession. There's still only 3 main games, one more coming this year, and some side games. I don't think most bother with the side games anyway.

Also they're very good with their characters, and good characters mean a great deal to a lot of people.

Yep, that's really all it is

Understandable, I really hate rating labels, but there's nothing really to be done about it either. Glad I get US ones by default at least.

I just want a sale on 1. Physical or digital, I don't care. Not gonna pay $30 for a game that I only want to play to fit in with VitaGAF and that I'm not sure if I'll like or not.

It was $15 on Steam when it launched (not any more) and I think it's been on sale for something on Vita,might have been EU only though (like ALL SALES EVER). If you have a proper sense of humor and a solid knowledge of (largely Japanese) games I think you should enjoy it.

Shizuka

I'm getting all the spin-offs, but I'm not getting Reb2 before beating the first game, and that's not happening anytime soon.

Isn't it fun to know that 1, Senran Kagura & Akiba have all been on sale in EU, and that I bought them all for cheap?

Flunkie

Banned
It was $15 on Steam when it launched (not any more) and I think it's been on sale for something on Vita,might have been EU only though (like ALL SALES EVER). If you have a proper sense of humor and a solid knowledge of (largely Japanese) games I think you should enjoy it.

I don't buy Steam games anymore, only Vita.

Isn't it fun to know that 1, Senran Kagura & Akiba have all been on sale in EU, and that I bought them all for cheap?

s7dzdfy.jpg

antibolo

Banned
A player locked into 'bad behavior' in a game (say, never using buffs/debuffs) will need to grind far more than a player that uses every option the game makes available. As mentioned before, the SMT's press turn system is a classic example - use that properly, and you get double the turns, and can possibly even stop enemies from attacking altogether. If you don't use elemental attacks, however, the game will feel like a 'grind'.

Demon Gaze wants you to learn how to do things like find better weapons, etc. You really shouldn't need to be grinding levels.

I don't know, I cut my teeth on games like Bard's Tale, where there was a high chance of complete party death during your first random battle as soon as you leave the inn and are walking around town.

But finding better weapons is a grind in this game, especially considering how the gem system depends on sheer randomness. Grinding is not just defined by exp.

Anyway, I'm tired of this argument and I'm sure everybody else does, all I'm saying is that I definitely had to grind to defeat Mars, it is an unbalanced boss at an early point in the game where having the proper tools and stats by the time you meet her is not guaranteed, depending on the way you progressed your party and how lucky you were with the circle drops. If you do have them, that's cool, if not, it's a frustrating experience for a newcomer, especially since the guide says nothing about it. You can claim all you want that I was acting under "bad behavior" and not using every option available but there's only so much I could do during this battle at a point this early in the game (And yes, I did use the Avoid spell from my Healer. No, it wasn't enough.)

In any case I'm already two demons later into the game so this is all behind me. I now have the tools to form strategies and I haven't had any problems so far.

Chronovolt then.

I liked Chronovolt. It was broken but it was kind of fun to break it and get some crazy score through bugs.

Worst native Vita games probably Get Off My Lawn and ZooZooGo! but those are free. For the worst games I paid money for would probably be Lets Fish! Hooked On. Strongly disliked Superfrog HD and Another World but those are probably just because they are dated games that are probably just for people with nostalgia.

autoduelist

all I'm saying is that I definitely had to grind to defeat Mars, it is an unbalanced boss at an early point in the game where having the proper tools and stats by the time you meet her is not guaranteed, depending on the way you progressed your party and how lucky you were with the circle drops.

A drpg would be absolutely boring if there were never challenging monsters capable of slaughtering your party that you needed to prepare/gear up/buff up/get good for, etc.

I guess I just disagree with you on an absolutely fundamental level. A 'balanced' (as you call it) drpg where you where guaranteed to be ready for every boss no matter what you did (100% explore v. someone speed running through dungeons with an online map) sounds not only impossible, but like absolutely atrocious design. The designer obviously can't account for every single player's path, and there's no reason they should have to.

Difficult bosses, however, serve many purposes I've already outlined. They're not just good design, I'd argue they're vital. It's not unbalanced, it -is- the balance. You had trouble with an early boss -- but you're also admittedly new to the genre. Imagine how boring the game might be to vets of the genre if even someone new to the genre never hit a difficultly bubble?

Shizuka

A drpg would be absolutely boring if there were never challenging monsters capable of slaughtering your party that you needed to prepare/gear up/buff up/get good for, etc.

I guess I just disagree with you on an absolutely fundamental level. A 'balanced' (as you call it) drpg where you where guaranteed to be ready for every boss no matter what you did (100% explore v. someone speed running through dungeons with an online map) sounds not only impossible, but like absolutely atrocious design. The designer obviously can't account for every single player's path, and there's no reason they should have to.

Difficult bosses, however, serve many purposes I've already outlined. They're not just good design, I'd argue they're vital. It's not unbalanced, it -is- the balance. You had trouble with an early boss -- but you're also admittedly new to the genre. Imagine how boring the game might be to vets of the genre if even someone new to the genre never hit a difficultly bubble?

EqRJH.gif

To me normal RPG battles start getting boring as hell after a while because there is simply no need for micro/macro management in battles, you can just spam "auto-attack" and be done with it. In DRPGs, you gotta use your buffs, debuffs, use your items, obtain and equip newer/better gear as much as possible, etc. There is really no need to grind by the way, specially in this day and age, I don't remember grinding at all in Demon Gaze. Of course I did take my time exploring almost every nook and cranny every floor had, but that was me looking for items mostly, and also wanting to fill up those maps aha.

SerTapTap

Of course I did take my time exploring almost every nook and cranny every floor had, but that was me looking for items mostly, and also wanting to fill up those maps aha.

Unless I'm starving/something I almost always try to fill up the map in automapping roguelikes. Just gotta fill out that little blue map. Feels good.

Blue maps make a game objectively better

antibolo

Banned

I NEVER said that the game should never be challenging. Please don't put words into my mouth. I was only talking about the general unfriendliness of the first (non-tutorial) boss of the game and how it soured my early enjoyment of the game, because it forced me to grind despite common claims that you don't need to (hell, names2hard4you just did it again). That's it, there was nothing else to it.

wilflare

Oh, wow. I played SoS3 for an hour or so when I first got it during some flash sale a few months back, and really enjoyed it. I never went back to it, but I really liked it a lot. I am going to back this, and back it hard. I'd love this on Vita. Thanks Wilflare for this call out!

please spread the word :O

and Sony just allowed the Sub to Master Account upgrade

there is hope for a PSN name Change...
please....

autoduelist

I NEVER said that the game should never be challenging. Please don't put words into my mouth. I was only talking about the general unfriendliness of the first (non-tutorial) boss of the game and how it soured my early enjoyment of the game, because it forced me to grind despite common claims that you don't need to (hell, names2hard4you just did it again). That's it, there was nothing else to it.

You stated:
"is an unbalanced boss at an early point in the game where having the proper tools and stats by the time you meet her is not guaranteed"

And I'm pointing out what you're asking for would be terrible, terrible design. A designer can not possibly guarantee that every player has "the proper tools and stats" for every enemy upon first contact, and doing so would remove all challenge. In fact, most players actively want to meet enemies they're not prepared for, because that's part of the fun of the genre.

As for the grinding, you keep saying the game "forced you to grind"... and we're saying, no, the game didn't force you to grind, you simply didn't realize you had other options. Sort of like people who complain that roguelikes are 'luck based' because you need to find great weapons early, when experienced players just shake their head and make due with rusty spoons.

I NEVER said that the game should never be challenging. (hell, names2hard4you just did it again)

antibolo, I wasn't being hostile towards you, my response was for autoduelist. It was a good topic of conversation because I like DRPGs, but way to kill the mood man... let's just drop it.

They're gonna do it and I'll find my name is taken. I want to reserve it but depending on how they do it, that might lock me out of the name forever anyway. Anything's better than what I got though

I'm tired of my PSN name too... 14 year old me chose a dumb ass name, but I don't want to leave all my trophies behind.

NinjaMic is cool with me, I just wish I never had to add WZ to it over the years whenever some doppelganger thief would beat me to the punch on whatever site registrations. I've used NinjaMic since the 90's and even some people irl call me Ninja.

maouvin

My old username was the hight up on the "most generic usernames" list and of course I never managed to grab it on international forums. Dropped the -cent, stuck a maou-, all is fine.

And every now and then I check the PSNGAF list to know who's who on my friendlist, so I hope that one day you chaps can change it to whatever you want!

Top Bottom