• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

autoduelist

Why can't you just believe me when I say that this was not a winnable fight? That yes, there is the possibility of facing Mars with insufficient gear and stats? It's all I'm asking. I have no reason to disagree with anything else you said.

I absolutely agree with you it quite possibly wasn't a winnable fight when you first got to Mars. Where we disagree is that being a bad thing, or 'unbalanced', or 'requiring grinding'.

However, I'm going to guess that there were at least three tasks the game had given you and you hadn't yet done them all:
1) Explore all available areas 100%
2) Use the lewt mechanic to score a couple better weapons
3) Use the money earned doing 1+2 to expand your party size.

You shouldn't have had to grind for money much if at all (I'm pretty sure I didn't at all, but I am a cheapass who never buys potions/etc at stores and hoards gold) due to 1 and 2.

By the time you did those three things, your party should be capable of killing Mars. It may or may not be a hard battle, depending on your class setup, skill, and lady luck, but it should certainly be winnable.

As I mentioned in a previous post, challenging early bosses serve important roles in drpgs. They aren't representative of bad balancing or a need for grinding - they are usually skill checks.

Don't get me wrong - a badly designed game can certainly require mindless grinding. Plenty of IOS and bad Jrpgs require mindless grinding for hours at a time. DG isn't one of those. The only time I sat there running down hallways to force battles was grinding for rare weapons for the plat (I don't really count trying to get one extra level here or there 'grinding', though).

EDIT: Top of page.

Hrm.
I have a folder called 'Bliss' on my vita.

It contains:
Super Stardust Delta, TxK, Luftrausers, Crimsonland, Lumines, Dead Nation, Sine Mora, Pinball Arcade, Zen Pinball, and Surge Deluxe.

So...those.

I guess so, if I never played P3 first, I might have enjoyed P4 more.
I don't think that's the case, though. I like P4 more even though I've played P3 before, both version. There is always something click with you, and something not. Nothing to feel bad about.
Persona 3 would be my number 1 game if it was on Vita, regardless of me having played it first or not. I like Persona 4 a lot, but what I feel for P3 and its characters is pure love aha. The characters, their arcs, the sombreness of it compared to P4, everything on it is amazing.

Can't wait for Persona 5. I wonder if it will dethrone 3 for me...

bobawesome

Is it just me or is Netflix on the Vita awful?

I agree, I'm glad I could even get a few Gaffers to get the game.

Welcome back.

UzbUAet.jpg

Tapejara

Is it just me or is Netflix on the Vita awful?

Yeah, it hasn't been updated in like a year and a half. Stutters every time you pause and un pause, and it's still using the old UI. Hell, the "My List" feature is still called "Instant Queue." That said, hopefully Sony doesn't kill it like the YouTube app.

Awww yiss, DoA5. Just in time for reading week when all of my friends will be back in town.

I'll join in on the fun too.

Top 3 vita games:
Danganronpa 1/2
Gravity Rush
Lone Survivor

Technically I played VLR on my 3DS, but if we're not splitting hairs I would include that in the top 3 over Lone Survivor. Honorable mention goes to Tearaway.

Also, I got the platinum for that forbidden game earlier. Was a surprising amount of fun.

bobawesome

Yeah, it hasn't been updated in like a year and a half. Stutters every time you pause and un pause, and it's still using the old UI. Hell, the "My List" feature is still called "Instant Queue." That said, hopefully Sony doesn't kill it like the YouTube app.

Awww yiss, DoA5. Just in time for reading week when all of my friends will be back in town.

Good, it's not just me, then. I made a post in a Playstation TV thread saying the app was pretty awful on the Vita but I had some doubts and wanted to make sure my connection wasn't just acting up.

I do remember when it was fairly new on the Vita. It was a great way to watch Clannad After Story in bed and cry myself to sleep.

Tohsaka

I e-mailed Play-Asia about whether the Asian version of Moero Chronicle would have English text, and got a.. kind of confusing reply:

WwuXP69.png

Their site still only lists Chinese text. I'll probably wait and let someone else take the plunge first to see whether it actually has English text or not. Hopefully it does.

Tapejara

Moero Chronicle was the successor to Monpiece, right? If we get it in the West do you guys think IFI would go digital-only or retail? They've been pretty good at releasing their games at retail (at least in NA).

Shizuka

Moero Chronicle was the successor to Monpiece, right? If we get it in the West do you guys think IFI would go digital-only or retail? They've been pretty good at releasing their games at retail (at least in NA).

It's the successor for Monpiece, although it's no longer a card game, it's a DRPG instead. I think if we're getting it, it'll be DD-only, like Monpiece.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Finished Grim Fandango. Great game at the end. I think the puzzles all make so much more sense in the last act. Wish the rest of the game felt that way.

So good.

Vylash

It's the successor for Monpiece, although it's no longer a card game, it's a DRPG instead. I think if we're getting it, it'll be DD-only, like Monpiece.

yeah i agree, us getting Monpiece was a miracle and it probably wouldn't have been as successful as it was if it had a physical release

Tohsaka

I never got around to playing Monpiece, because I was really annoyed by the censorship and the lack of a retail release at the time. I ended up buying Banned Game and liking it enough to platinum it, though, so I might just download Monster Monpiece anyway.

Tapejara

yeah i agree, us getting Monpiece was a miracle and it probably wouldn't have been as successful as it was if it had a physical release

Yeah, Monpiece is a bit difficult to pin down. On one hand it was IFI's first release, so DD made sense (especially compared to the Neptunia titles which had already proved themselves to be sellers). The controversy surrounding the game's content definitely contributed as well.

However, Monpiece did pretty well IIRC, and IFI are taking more chances with other, unproven IP (i.e. physical release of Omega Quintet). Being a DRPG might make it an easier sell to retailers as well.

I think it could go either way, but I'm not sure how explicit the game is with sexuality like its predecessor.

How often does Dangaronpa 1 and 2 go on sale and what has been the lowest price it's been, mainly in Amazon and Play-Asia since I don't live in the US?

Shizuka

Monpiece has a really solid gameplay with the card system, I was surprised. The story was really awful though, I started skipping all dialogue when I reached the final chapter.

Chuy

Quick question: Which version of the walking dead games are better PS4 or PSV? I promised a friend i'd play them in exchange for him playing my copy of persona 4 and i play on playing them in the nearish future.

rObit

Banned
GAF! I could use your recommendations! I have a long flight coming up soon, looking to pick up a Vita game to pass the time. I'm leaning towards an RPG, but there's so many and I don't know what to get.

Here's what I've already played (and loved):

Persona 4: Golden
Persona 3 (I'll probably get Portable at some point, but for now let's shelve that one)
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Final Fantasy X/X-2

A couple questions: Are the Atelier games at all approachable? Did that Conception 2 game turn out to be any good?

Thanks for any and all help :)

P.S. Why isn't Valiant Hearts on the Vita? I was totally going to buy it for this trip, I was sure it was on there.

Edit: For clarity's sake. I did read the OP and that the new Atelier game is very well liked, just not sure if "relaxing" is relaxing for people used to the series or for new folks, too.

pariah164

GAF! I could use your recommendations! I have a long flight coming up soon, looking to pick up a Vita game to pass the time. I'm leaning towards an RPG, but there's so many and I don't know what to get.
Trails in the Sky. One of, if not the, best RPGs on the PSP. Download it. Love it. Seriously.

Chuy

Here's what I've already played (and loved):

Persona 4: Golden
Persona 3 (I'll probably get Portable at some point, but for now let's shelve that one)
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Final Fantasy X/X-2

A couple questions: Are the Atelier games at all approachable? Did that Conception 2 game turn out to be any good?

Thanks for any and all help :)

P.S. Why isn't Valiant Hearts on the Vita? I was totally going to buy it for this trip, I was sure it was on there.
You honestly can't go wrong with any of these really although i'm leaning towards suggesting P4G/FFX

Maid

Banned
It's the successor for Monpiece, although it's no longer a card game, it's a DRPG instead.

I honestly don't know how should I feel about this. I really liked Monster Monpiece gameplay.

Monpiece has a really solid gameplay with the card system, I was surprised. The story was really awful though, I started skipping all dialogue when I reached the final chapter.

Is it that bad? I can't say there is anything worth remembering, but then nothing offensive either. It's just straight to the point (admittedly I haven't finished it either).

The only thing I feel sad is the online community is deader than a graveyard.

Edit: For clarity's sake. I did read the OP and that the new Atelier game is very well liked, just not sure if "relaxing" is relaxing for people used to the series or for new folks, too.

It's relaxing in a sense that there is no plot twist, no save the world, no drama (although there is some emotional event involved). Just running around gathering stuff, crafting thing, exploring map. The only thing that takes away the relaxing part is the time limit.

Tales of Hearts R is great. Depending on whether or not you want to count hunting games, Freedom Wars is also good, and a lot of people vouch for Soul Sacrifice Delta. And of course there's Trails in the Sky.

I personally didn't like much about Conception II and would suggest you avoid it.

rObit

Banned
Trails in the Sky. One of, if not the, best RPGs on the PSP. Download it. Love it. Seriously.

Ooh. Looked into this, I'm in for the music alone. Definitely the kind of game I wouldn't have stumbled upon myself, either, since I was definitely thinking of a native Vita game. Thanks much!

You honestly can't go wrong with any of these really although i'm leaning towards suggesting P4G/FFX

Sorry to confuse, that's a list of games that I already have and have played.

It's relaxing in a sense that there is no plot twist, no save the world, no drama (although there is some emotional event involved). Just running around gathering stuff, crafting thing, exploring map. The only thing that takes away the relaxing part is the time limit.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tales of Hearts R is great. Depending on whether or not you want to count hunting games, Freedom Wars is also good, and a lot of people vouch for Soul Sacrifice Delta. And of course there's Trails in the Sky.

I personally didn't like much about Conception II and would suggest you avoid it.

I kinda thought that might be the case with Conception since I hadn't heard much about it post-release. Thanks very much.

I think I'll go with Trails in the Sky and Tales of Hearts R. Thanks all for the help!

Tizoc

Right then, here's the rest
Samurai Shodown PSP runs really good and has some nice visuals, but the combat'll feel slow. Also apparently America doesn't exist in this game or something.

SamSho Anthology may not be the best compilation but it has SamSho 2, a few of the games have performance issues too it seems sadly.

SAR: Search and Rescue THINGS EXPLODE WHEN YOU KILL THEM! ED-209s THAT TRANSFORM INTO THE XENOMORPH WHEN YOU FIRST DESTROY THEM AND THAT TOO EXPLODES WHEN YOU KILL IT! WHY HAVEN'T YOU TRANSF. THIS GAME ONTO YOUR VITA YET?
This mini req. a PS3 so you can transf. from PS3 to Vita.

Shock Troopers PSP why can't Call of Duty be like this game? Some of the best sprite animations on the Neo Geo with a neat combat system. Plus the bullets look real cool, why do military shootbang games make the bullets seem non existent when you fire guns? Speaking of guns, this game has a flamethrower! Much like Metal Slug there is also a melee attack if you are close to enemies and one of the character's melee attacks is punching them, when was the last time any of these recent gen shooty bangs had you punch people to death?

SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 has a bunch of SNK games you wish had gotten the M2 treatment, while not the greatest ports it has a bunch of games that might be worth investing in the game on such as Super Sidekicks 3 & Last Resort to name a few.

Super Sidekicks PSP is the most hype football game I've played in a long time, heck arcade football games were pretty kick ass; how come PES/WE and FIFA never have them ham and hype up the word 'GOAL!'? While the game's controls are limited it is still a fun romp.

The King of Fighters '94 is where it all began, while it is available on 2 other compilations, this one appears to have the better performance. While it may feel outdated, the novelty of having a set of 3 characters with different moves can still be appreciated.

The King of Fighters '95 improves on '94 in every freakin' way, if you could get only one of the 3 M2 KoF games, get this one. Fantastic visuals and sprite animation and a more solid gameplay system.
Only issue this game suffers from is the lack of the USA Sports team.

The King of Fighters '96 is among my least played KoFs, but from what I did play was nice; the background stages are fantastic, but sadly the gameplay feels incomplete as you can tell KoF 97 and 98 are what the game was intended to play as. While not their best versions ever, this game features the SNK Boss Team which was a dream come true for many SNK fans of the time.

World Heroes PSP
Deatmatch mode is apparently the go to mode for this game, as many fighters of the period were basically you fighting 10 opponents and the boss, yet Deathmatch mode throws in hazards in order to offer a unique experience.
I personally prefer WH3 more but I doubt we're getting that anytime soon.

Alpha Mission 2
Cuz you can't have enough Shmups on dat glorious OLED.

Other honorable mentions
Fatal Fury PSP; It is where it all began, but heaven help you against Raiden...
KoF Orochi Saga; The best SNK compilation on the PSP, but be warned that it is 1 GB!

Novocaine

It took me a while but P4G finally has its claws in me. I'm about 25 hours in;
just saved Naoto
. I can see now why everybody likes this game so much. If all goes well this will be the first JRPG I've ever finished. I fucking love Teddie man.

Flandy

It took me a while but P4G finally has its claws in me. I'm about 25 hours in;
just saved Naoto
. I can see now why everybody likes this game so much. If all goes well this will be the first JRPG I've ever finished. I fucking love Teddie man.

Wait what?
How the hell did you get to that point of the game so quickly? Playing on Easy or something?

I wish Phantasy Star Nova would have netplay, I've been playing for hours today. I just took a break and thought Nova would be 10000% better if it had netplay, damn it.

If one were looking for a review of that game we're not supposed to talk about here, one might ask Shizuka - or maybe check out that place I hail from. ;)

Top Bottom