• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Never thought about that ;p. But meh. It's still expensive with the discount code :(.

1397534182183.gif

I guess my chance to play this game is gone :(.
Lost my hope when the game was removed from the store. But I thought that Fate/Unlimited Codes might also be available or coming back to the EU store because DJ Max Fever is now available(and Fever was also one of those games that got removed from the store). I wonder if Sega would bring Phantasy Star Portable and Portable 2 back in the EU store :/.

And hm. Strange. When Hakuoki for the PS3 was on sale(in the summer?), I didn't saw the PSP version in the store :/(when I searched for Hakuoki). Or maybe this game was first unavailable in my region? o.o. Oh well. I hope the PSP version will be on sale soon(or this year ;p). Same with DJ Max Fever ;p.
Never say never though, I thought the chances that Fever would come back were lower than Fate/Unlimited Codes...
Hakuoki should've been available everywhere except AU/NZ at release, maybe it disappeared temporarily. According to Prelude, FF7 disappears when it's on sale from the French store for example. (why, scee)
And I wouldn't count on a Fever discount, considering the publisher haven't existed for years. If you still have the 10% code I'd say go for it
before it gets pulled again.

autoduelist

I bought $150 in 20% off PSN cards on eBay on black friday thinking I'd be good for most of the year. I'm at $40 now. Well crap.

SNIP

None of it is necessary to finish the game. I think you actually need to craft to do S Tier

I'm pretty good at holding onto my store credit, but yeah, it never lasts as long as you want it to. I just burnt through a good chunk of what i have this weekend.

Virtue's Last Reward is sooo good but goddamn all the travelling cutscene things are getting annoying. Is it just a way to hide load screens?

iirc, you can either skip or fastforward (can't remember which) any dialog you've seen before. However, it will 'stop' at any differences (an added line, or if someone huffs instead of grunts). In this way, you can -generally- speed through a lot of the ng variants.

Going through doors, etc, however, will always take 10x too long.

Takao

Banned
I don't think the Hakuoki Muso works on Vita in North America. It's one of the very few post-Vita PSP titles to not work with it.

They are AAA games on console. Their handheld editions are markedly low budget which is all that matters when discussing what is or is not AAA.

There's a case to be made for a lot of western third parties, whose handheld support usually consisted of hastily made games outsourced to studios with questionable track records. I don't think that would apply to companies like Square Enix, though. I wouldn't be surprised if Crisis Core, Birth By Sleep or Type-0 cost more to develop than the entirety of NIS' PSP output, for example.

You can tell a low budget handheld game (Lord of Arcana) from a high budget one (Final Fantasy Type-0) rather easily. There's a scale. Just because a handheld spinoff would be cheaper to develop than the same game on a home console doesn't mean the game itself cost little to make. In the case of things like Final Fantasy, you've got home console dev cycles lasting 5+ years. That's likely at an astronomical cost, but that doesn't mean Type-0's 3-year cycle was cheap.

The death of AAA handheld games could be seen as an extension of the death of B-tier retail titles in the console space. In raw dollar amounts, it's likely that most big handheld games are closer in production cost to a B-tier console title than a AAA one. Publishers are vacating the B-tier space to focus on the extremes: super high budget console games that sells millions of units and/or super low cost mobile games that bring in a huge ROI.

You kids ain't got no appreciation for the classics and olden days, bet you all play PSX games stretched on your Vitas too *shivers in disgust*

Gimme proper aspect ratio over fake widescreen any day.

Squashed sprites and character models are a sin to my eyes.

Cropping fucks up framing.

If it was meant to be seen in 4:3, it was meant to be seen in 4:3.

Which reminds me, Grim Fandango HD is supposed to default to 4:3, right? Gonna need some popcorn for those reactions.

There's a case to be made for a lot of western third parties, whose handheld support usually consisted of hastily made games outsourced to studios with questionable track records. I don't think that would apply to companies like Square Enix, though. I wouldn't be surprised if Crisis Core, Birth By Sleep or Type-0 cost more to develop than the entirety of NIS' PSP output, for example.

You can tell a low budget handheld game (Lord of Arcana) from a high budget one (Final Fantasy Type-0) rather easily. There's a scale. Just because a handheld spinoff would be cheaper to develop than the same game on a home console doesn't mean the game itself cost little to make. In the case of things like Final Fantasy, you've got home console dev cycles lasting 5+ years. That's likely at an astronomical cost, but that doesn't mean Type-0's 3-year cycle was cheap.

The death of AAA handheld games could be seen as an extension of the death of B-tier retail titles in the console space. In raw dollar amounts, it's likely that most big handheld games are closer in production cost to a B-tier console title than a AAA one. Publishers are vacating the B-tier space to focus on the extremes: super high budget console games that sells millions of units and/or super low cost mobile games that bring in a huge ROI.
I'll actually concede that there have been some games that could possibly qualify as being AAA -- mostly from SquEnix as far as my memory serves.

Your last paragraph is really the bottom line in the discussion, though. The biggest handheld games are most easily compared to PS2-era B-tier productions. Some are more expensive than others, some are more visually stunning, but they're all cheaper than the AAA productions on consoles or PC.
Actually, I want to know the budget for the GenVI pokemon games. Those models are super well done. Could be the game had a respectable budget. Still not AAA, but it's probably up there. Killzone Mercs is another decent example, though I don't know how many assets are reused from other games in the franchise.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Grim Fandango is on my PS4 menu. So good. Too bad it won't unlock for a while still... :(

Where is that theme we were promised? That could be released early, you know.

Edit:
receive an exclusive theme for your PS4™ system as a bonus when the game releases

Dumb. Dumb. Also, dumb.

phierce

Question for VitaGAF...

I'm headed out of the country, in a few days, for 15 days worth of work. I'm unaware of what my personal Internet situation will be, but I'm trying to prepare for the worst...which would be no personal Internet, and yeah, that would absolutely suck ass.

Anyway, with that said, I need a few recommendations for RPGs/action games that will keep me busy (not Ys/P4G/FF as I've played them).

Thanks!

Edit: PSN or easy to find physical.

Shizuka

Question for VitaGAF...

I'm headed out of the country, in a few days, for 15 days worth of work. I'm unaware of what my personal Internet situation will be, but I'm trying to prepare for the worst...which would be no personal Internet, and yeah, that would absolutely suck ass.

Anyway, with that said, I need a few recommendations for RPGs/action games that will keep me busy (not Ys/P4G/FF as I've played them).

Thanks!

You could try Demon Gaze, Sorcery Saga and Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth.

Robso

Does anybody know if season passes, for games, reduce over time on the store? I'm interested in the Watch Dogs season pass, but not at its current price.

Question for VitaGAF...

Thanks!

I recommend:

Brandish
Tactics Ogre
Binding of Isaac
Don't Starve

ZeroAKA

Question for VitaGAF...

Thanks!

Easy, Soul Sacrifice Delta.

bobohoro

Question for VitaGAF...

Thanks!

Atelier games
Demon Gaze
Disgaea games
Brandish (PSP)
Soul Sacrifice
Trails In The Sky FC (PSP)

?

I would also recommend SSD, and Freedom Wars. Even considering that he probably doesn't have online access. There is a TON of content for single player.

But seriously, get Brandish. Everyone. Get Brandish.

Currently transferring over my saves etc. to Mac, in preparation of moving to a 2 64GB stick system. Excited!

antibolo

Banned
I got lucky and bought Fate/Unlimited Codes for $10 the week prior to the delisting.

When was that game delisted anyway?

I recently reinstalled it on my Vita, and I couldn't find it on the Store, had to comb over my 1800+ download list to find it...

antibolo

Banned
I'm trying to use PSDLE and it's not working, it just gives me nothing (0/0 items).

I'm following the "Getting Started" guide on the PSDLE homepage. Using Chrome.

Anybody had a similar problem?

EDIT: Nevermind I just logged out and back in and it's working now.

Man this is so cool.

Apparently I have 388 PS+ items! Wow.

VLiberty

kind of surprised killzone hd hasn't been ported to vita yet
don't know if it could run kz2 or 3
probably not

For the same reason ICO and SOTC haven't been ported to Vita: because they aren't SCEA games.

(there would still be Ratchet Gladiator, but they've probably realized that the PS3 port was already shitty to begin with)

Shizuka

I made the OT, you know.

I know, I'm just teasing you.

When was that game delisted anyway?

I recently reinstalled it on my Vita, and I couldn't find it on the Store, had to comb over my 1800+ download list to find it...

It was before the Vita was released, that's for sure. I guess it was 2011.

:( where did you get such a good deal

Capcom offered the game for 50% off before delisting, that's when I got it.

Chuy

kind of surprised killzone hd hasn't been ported to vita yet
don't know if it could run kz2 or 3
probably not
This.

kind of surprised killzone mercenaries hasn't been ported to ps4 yet
And this. :'(

For the same reason ICO and SOTC haven't been ported to Vita: because they aren't SCEA games.
)
Didn't know that was the reason. Honestly having those two games on the vita would be amazing

Seeing since there's a first party production thread now i think autoduelist's idea would probably be best matched to a third-party production suggestions in addition to drawing addition to the lack of compatibility of various games amongst the playstation systems.
Like crash bandicoot not being playable on vita :/

Maid

Banned
Question for VitaGAF...

Thanks!

Adding to what everyone has been mentioning, there is Disgaea 4, too. That can help you kill time and quite perfect to play on handheld.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Has anyone ever tried a concerted effort to get more psp games onto the store? Games like Metal Gear Acid, Warhammer, D&D Tactics, Valkyria Profile Lenneth, etc...

I realize some games are definitely not up due to licensing - I know that's the stock answer and i also know in most cases it's the reason because licensing is a nightmare. But just as I think it's legitimate to assume in most cases it's licensing, there's got to be a couple cases where it's just oversight and some fan pressure might get a game up (recent examples of this being Suikoden II, Vib Ribbon, etc). Obviously convincing Disney to put up BBS is likely a waste of time, but I'd think we'd have a chance with others.

What do you think the potential would be, as a community, to create a list of the most wanted missing psp games, and then, one by one, contacting the publishers and seeing if we can overcome their inertia? Pipe dream? Possible?

That's the great debate, right? Do you buy old games that never go on sale because that 10% off is the best you're ever going to see? Do you punch yourself in the arm when they then finally go on sale two weeks later?

I finally bought all my games last night just to put myself out of that neverending circle. I decided against games not on sale... in part because I was already spending plenty, in part because they could go on a better sale, and in part because ultimately, if I really, really need to play a $10/$15 psp game -today-, I won't sweat the fact that I didn't save a buck/buck fifty on it.

not going to happen. if they wanted to the company would have done it by now. but feel free to go chase rainbows regardless if that pleases you. :)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Has anyone ever tried a concerted effort to get more psp games onto the store? Games like Metal Gear Acid, Warhammer, D&D Tactics, Valkyria Profile Lenneth, etc...

I realize some games are definitely not up due to licensing - I know that's the stock answer and i also know in most cases it's the reason because licensing is a nightmare. But just as I think it's legitimate to assume in most cases it's licensing, there's got to be a couple cases where it's just oversight and some fan pressure might get a game up (recent examples of this being Suikoden II, Vib Ribbon, etc). Obviously convincing Disney to put up BBS is likely a waste of time, but I'd think we'd have a chance with others.

What do you think the potential would be, as a community, to create a list of the most wanted missing psp games, and then, one by one, contacting the publishers and seeing if we can overcome their inertia? Pipe dream? Possible?

That's the great debate, right? Do you buy old games that never go on sale because that 10% off is the best you're ever going to see? Do you punch yourself in the arm when they then finally go on sale two weeks later?

I finally bought all my games last night just to put myself out of that neverending circle. I decided against games not on sale... in part because I was already spending plenty, in part because they could go on a better sale, and in part because ultimately, if I really, really need to play a $10/$15 psp game -today-, I won't sweat the fact that I didn't save a buck/buck fifty on it.

I think the main issue is that most of these games will sell a couple of thousand copies, and earn maybe tens of thousands of dollars for the publisher. I simply can't see them bothering.

I think the main issue is that most of these games will sell a couple of thousand copies, and earn maybe tens of thousands of dollars for the publisher. I simply can't see them bothering.

It is still untapped revenue. Sony should be doing more to encourage pubs like Konami to release their digital library on PSN.

Vandal Hearts.. Metal Gear Acid.. !

autoduelist

Without knowing how much it costs to get it listed, it's hard to know...

Obviously, I doubt some of the games I want (say, D&D Tactics, though that's likely a licensing issue) would ever generate much revenue... but I'm sure some would, as you say, generate 10s of thousands.

If it's just filling out a form and sending it to Sony, it's possible it could happen. If it requires paying exorbitant Vita QA fees, then yeah, not going to happen.

There are plenty of games up on PSN that clearly don't sell well, and were never going to sell well. Some of the PS1 classics, some of the PSP games, heck, some new releases and 'import' games. There's a profitability line somewhere, sure, but in other cases getting a couple hundred emails that people actually have interest in, say, Valkyria Profiles Lenneth... it's possible.

Not likely. Perhaps extremely unlikely. But at the same time, it's just emails.

Basically what I'm curious about is this -- are there any psp games out there that aren't up simply because the publisher isn't paying attention? If yes, then knocking on their door would help. Obviously nearly all are more likely licensing issues... it's whether it's worth the effort of knocking on doors to get the 1 or 2 games we might scare up onto psn.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
AAA is a meaningless term anyway. It groups together games like uncharted, which takes 2 years and $20 million to make, and GTAV, which takes 4 years and $100 mil. Game a like mario, or mario kart probably take much fewer resources to make than something like uncharted and the last of us. Some people even think Zelda A link between worlds AAA, when the scope of the game doesn't even allow it to touch the production values of what we consider AAA on consoles.

AAA is a meaningless term anyway. It groups together games like uncharted, which takes 2 years and $20 million to make, and GTAV, which takes 4 years and $100 mil. Game a like mario, or mario kart probably take much fewer resources to make than something like uncharted and the last of us. Some people even think Zelda A link between worlds AAA, when the scope of the game doesn't even allow it to touch the production values of what we consider AAA on consoles.

I agree with the bolded.

Fuck AAA, fuck indie, fuck third party, fuck first party.

Games come in two classifications, based on each person's own opinions; fun games, and not fun games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think we can agree if it didn't have the Wii U version behind it its budget would also have been much smaller.

Still, that's actually a pretty good example. Kind of a unique situation, though.

That's why it's the closest thing I can think of, I'm a portable junkie and its absolutely not common.

The closest AAA Western games besides that are stuff like Liberty City Stories on the PSP, then the Assassin's Creed and Killzone games on Vita. Close, but still obviously games made for a lesser budget.

Bittercup

Great. The free DLC for Shinovi Versus adds 50 individual DLCs to the download list.
Unfortunately the webstore is buggy and doesn't show any of my recent buys on its download list so I have to do this on the Vita which always jumps back to the end of the list, making it hard to keep track which DLC you have already added.
Sony should really add a 'download all' button that downloads a game with all DLC you have bought.

Top Bottom