• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | March 2015

SerTapTap

You all are making me nervous about ebay. I've got multiple shipments coming. Haven't had problems so far, though I'm still too scared to sell this Destiny ghost edition on there (only sold once--Nexus 4, first week it was available. Don't look at me like that, I accidentally bought 2 because of site errors)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Among the PSM games of this week in EU there's one called "Massive Cleavage vs Zombies" lol, can't wait to see its screens.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
*w* Quintet is launching April 28th...was this known? I didn't know it was so soon

Lets hope you guys get the version that doesnt fucking crash at random. Always fun when that happens.

At least that got patched in Japan, but was a bit broken at launch.

Good thing about the game is it has very little loading time is a constant praise of it.

Asides from that folks seem to be split on it, but its not that its a bad title.

Someone that I trust who does short reviews here in Japan called it the "User unfriendly fetch game" though lol. Which is bad considering they do like titles in the genre.

For those that can read Japanese.
http://game.girldoll.org/consumer/omega_quintet/206283/

Hikami

All hunting games have those dumb "kill X enemies" missions. I'll just speed through each of them once and only focus on bosses after that.

Toukiden is pretty straight forward in mission design, pretty much having only few small monster/gather quests and focusing sorely on bigger Oni for the meat of the game. While the demo itself is pretty awesome, it does give a wrong impression in that regard.

So if you enjoyed the boss fights, be prepared for a whole load more of them in the full game.

Was kinda surprised when I took a look at my old save file yesterday. I thought I stopped at around 80 hours in the original, realitiy shows me that I played it for 135 hours. Demo is downloaded, will jump into it in the coming hours. I'm just a bit concerned that MH4U really spoiled me and Toukiden might compare unfavourably when playing them so close together.

Won't you still have to redo some of them though? Maybe that's why I felt bored. I tried to craft some new armor/weapons so I had to do some of the missions several times for the materials.
I know that's just a hunting genre thing but, it didn't really bother me in God Eater or Freedom Wars while it did in Toukiden.. hm.

Parakeetman

Won't you still have to redo some of them though? Maybe that's why I felt bored. I tried to craft some new armor/weapons so I had to do some of the missions several times for the materials.
I know that's just a hunting genre thing but, it didn't really bother me in God Eater or Freedom Wars while it did in Toukiden.. hm.

You shouldnt be bothered since seriously Toukiden is the easiest out of the those titles that you mentioned.

Esp with the pain in the ass system Freedom Wars used for end game creations / where the hell parts come from due to the generic designs of the skeleton type of abductors.

Benedict

Buy Season Pass for Black Flag or only Freedom Cry as standalone?

Season pass worth it?
Edit: If I buy the Season Pass for PS3 will I get it for PS4 as well, as it says on Ubisoft homepage?
Have Black Flag Vanilla on PS3/PS4.
Edit: According to Amazon, that offer ended:
Owners of the Season Pass for PS3 will also get Season Pass access on PS4, offer expires 5/31/2014

How come South Park Stick of Truth is so cheap at the US store?
It doesn't show up as a discount, only see it when I search for the title.
I have it on PC, but for this price I might double-dip...

v1perz53

Vividred? Nourin? Arpeggio? Kiniro Mosaic? Yuru Yuri? good god, give this to me

Good god they managed to take basically all of the random shows I have enjoyed over the past few years and combine them into one game. I like every one you mentioned plus more. Even glad that it looks to be a Project Diva f re-skin, as I think the Diva f gameplay is great.

Someone understands the significance of this title.

Seconded.

SerTapTap

I'm glad I don't have a PS4 yet.

One of us one of us one of us!

Lets hope you guys get the version that doesnt fucking crash at random. Always fun when that happens.

At least that got patched in Japan, but was a bit broken at launch.

Good thing about the game is it has very little loading time is a constant praise of it.

Asides from that folks seem to be split on it, but its not that its a bad title.

Someone that I trust who does short reviews here in Japan called it the "User unfriendly fetch game" though lol. Which is bad considering they do like titles in the genre.

Trying to get a review copy so I might be able to do a writeup myself. At least in the US IFI hasn't been too bad about bringing the localized version up to the latest JP one--several games have launched with full DLC instead of waiting for it to fake the Japanese release cycle (hate when localizers do that, it's done just give it to me).

Not surprised about load times, with a few AAA exceptions, load times have been exceptionally low across the board on PS4, one of my favorite features.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
CAZivDfUUAACT6k.jpg:large

My problem with this is the animation. It gifs her reaction as if her head was syncing out of the video.

This is called "A Meditating Woman Dynamic Theme" - $2.99

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...heme/cid=EP4218-NPEP00074_00-2012072610020003

I see it was also on PS3 back in 2012. I never saw this theme. I owned a few, but the girl-centric themes were never my first choice.

SerTapTap

Sony should really crack down on that "A (name of theme)" crap trying to game the alphabetical sorting. I wish there were some way to find only game related themes too. I wouldn't mind the theme spammers doing what they do if it didn't make finding proper themes such a pain in the ass.

Is Love Corn on PS4 yet?

SerTapTap

Actually it's pretty good bc/ of GOW 2. I thought they would have never put it on sale. Perfect timing too as I was planning to start GOW 3 after I'm done with Sly 4...even though I'm afraid I might get burned on it before even getting to 3.

Don't forget Ghost of Sparta. Right up there with 1 & 3 gameplay-wise IMO. Not as good as 2, not as shiny as 3, but it's ridiculous that it's a PSP game. The HD version looks great, not GOW2 HD great, but better than most PS2 games would look in HD.

Less a fan of Chains, only one I haven't finished. Didn't hate Ascension but it wasn't great either. Ghost and 1 through 3 are essential IMO

VLiberty

Don't forget Ghost of Sparta. Right up there with 1 & 3 gameplay-wise IMO. Not as good as 2, not as shiny as 3, but it's ridiculous that it's a PSP game. The HD version looks great, not GOW2 HD great, but better than most PS2 games would look in HD.

Less a fan of Chains, only one I haven't finished. Didn't hate Ascension but it wasn't great either. Ghost and 1 through 3 are essential IMO

I've already played all the games bar the PS3 ones, but I wanted to get 2 as I already got the first one with PS+ and that would unlock the Vita collection, which I'd gladly play as it's been 8 years since I last played both.

Agreed on Ghost of Sparta, but I liked Chains too. Ironically, it's the only one I've finished twice.

SerTapTap

I've already played all the games bar the PS3 ones, but I wanted to get 2 as I already got the first one with PS+ and that would unlock the Vita collection, which I'd gladly play as it's been 8 years since I last played both.

Agreed on Ghost of Sparta, but I liked Chains too. Ironically, it's the only one I've finished twice.

They're cross buy for those ones then? I just got the PS3 collection which only has physical for GOW 1-3 and digital only for Ghost/Chains, don't think they were cross buy either. I wanted the pretty more than the portable anyway though.

I've been meaning to give it another shot, I only got ah hour or two in before I gave up and started Ghost (which I proceeded to marathon)

Tizoc

C'mon JP PSN, gimme dat Klonoa 2!
KoF 2000
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja...2000/cid=JP0576-NPJD00083_00-0000000000000000

Metal Slug 5
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ゲーム/メタルスラッグ5/cid=JP0576-NPJD00082_00-0000000000000000

ADK Classics
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ゲーム/adk魂/cid=JP0576-NPJD00081_00-0000000000000000

For that matter, someone make a thread about this, the ADK Collection has these games
Aggressors of Dark Kombat (abbreviated ADK) is a one-on-one fighting arcade game released by SNK and developed by Alpha Denshi Corp. (ADK).
Ninja Master's: Haō Ninpō Chō is a ninja-themed one-on-one fighting game produced by ADK and published by SNK.
Ninja Combat is a 1991 side-scrolling action game, developed by ADK and published by SNK.
Ninja Commando is a top down, vertically scrolling run and gun arcade game developed by ADK and published by SNK.
Twinkle Star Sprites is a competitive scrolling shooter created by ADK and published by SNK.

EFFIN' NINJA MASTERS SON!

Also
kisa-phone.gif

Hikami

poor Guided Fate Ultimatum, nobody talking about it, not even an OT

I was actually interested in it, but it's on PS3..
Wonder how many more PS3-only games are still being localized.
--
Oh, but Atelier Shallie is PS3-only so far and that got an OT and all. Guess there's not many people interested in Ultimatum then..

Parakeetman

poor Guided Fate Ultimatum, nobody talking about it, not even an OT

thats because the game was shit.

think dorarnae was the only guy who beat it being a fan of the original and regretted buying it. said it was beyond boring.

kinda like the le ver that i got here somewherr.

if you liked the original stay far far far away from the game.

no idea how they fucked it up this bad...

autoduelist

Just finished the FF XV demo. Man I loved that I finally got to play it after 8 years of waiting, but now I am sad because I want more. I'm sold, this game is gonna be reaaaal good.

Also I pledge here and now that I won't delete the demo from my home until the game drops. Let's see how long that will be...

Any non-spoiler stuff on the combat system you can share?

Well, I only played the Persona games (P3P and P4G) in the SMT series, so it is still very new to me :). Loved the Persona games though, so if Nocturne is even a little like that, I should have a great time playing that :D.

snip
If I really enjoy Nocturne, I will give the other SMT PS2 games a look :).

Nocturne -- turn based SMT combat / hand made dungeons / demon fusing to create your party

Digital Devil Saga -- turn based SMT combat / hand made dungeons / pick party members from a set list, large skill trees

Devil Summoner -- action based SMT combat (you and your demons and opponents run around a small battlefield and you need to cast/swing at enemies) / demon fusing

You'll recognize skills and demons and other stuff common to all SMT games throughout them all. They just switch up one or two major gameplay components per 'SMT franchise' that makes them unique compared to the others.

None of them have the VN side of Persona games. All have fairly dark and mature storylines and plots, they just don't have anything remotely resembling social links. They're far more 'dungeon crawlers'. Though Devil Summoner has some cool stuff -- you're a detective and you'll sometimes see clues only if you have access to certain skills due to your current set of demon associates.

All highly recommended.

bobohoro

Toukiden feels like a user friendlier MH. You have health bars on monsters for example, controls are much simpler too. I appreciate it for what it is, it isn't as hardcore as Monster Hunter and that's ok. I had forgotten how fast and fluid the gameplay was, coming from MH4 to the Kiwami demo I actually enjoyed it. Like I said before, the bow is a blast in this game aha.

After doing the first three special missions, looking through chapter 1 again for a bit and seeing the intro to chapter 8 I have to say...that it really is a shame for releasing so close to MH4U.

There is no demo impressions thread for this one, is there? I guess I'll leave my impressions in this one then in a bit.

Will probably still get it, but I'm really torn, since after an hour with the demo I was kinda gald to be back on MH4U again already. Granted, charm runs are seriously like supercrack in a game full of cracklike things.

Finally got Akiba Strip, Freedom Wars, Virtua Tennis 4 and ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 plus physical editions for vita and pstv. At a total of $45 for all of them. Thank God for CAG.

I think I've gotten every game that I've wanted for a while now. Still haven't beaten all my others... But I can't stop buying either.

Any non-spoiler stuff on the combat system you can share?
So battles are seemingly simple on the surface, but after a bit of playing with the controls and such there is a tremendous amound of depth to it. I'll try to keep it brief while explaining the core of things.

How do you attack?
SQUARE. That's it, we're done.

Or so you would think. Noctis is able of equiping different swords, spears, etc that he can summon. In the demo you are given 5, maybe in the full game you will get more. In the "Weapons" menu you arrange which weapon you want to do what in each situation Noctis might be in. The combat is dynamic, so when a situation occurs and you are on a specific position away from the enemy, Noctis will call for the weapon that you chose. So let's say you pick this order (can't recall the actual names of the weapons or the attacks):

Initial Attack - Lance
Rage attack - Average Sword
Final attack - Fire sword
Counter - Heavy sword
Aerial attack - Axe

So as you can see each weapon has been assigned to a particular situation, you can assign a different weapon to any of those actions, each one has it's own set of animations, speed, damage, effects, and skills (which are activated with the TRIANGLE and use up your MP, more on the latter in a second) for each situation.

The key to the game is MP management, since Skills, Projectile Sword Skill Thingy (the one that he tosses his sword that teleports him to a place/enemy) and deflecting or parrying attacks all use MP. You pass the limit, Noctis gets a headache that makes him go to his knee for a second, breaking the combo.

Damn, there's so much more, but this I feel is already too much to read for you guys lol. Sorry aha.

After doing the first three special missions, looking through chapter 1 again for a bit and seeing the intro to chapter 8 I have to say...that it really is a shame for releasing so close to MH4U.

There is no demo impressions thread for this one, is there? I guess I'll leave my impressions in this one then in a bit.

Will probably still get it, but I'm really torn, since after an hour with the demo I was kinda gald to be back on MH4U again already. Granted, charm runs are seriously like supercrack in a game full of cracklike things.
What I like about Toukiden is its simplicity. It doesn't try hard to give you all of this depth. All it does is give you a weapon, with a somewhat simple string of combos, and off you go. Mitamas make the gameplay a lot deeper, but this happens under the hood, rather than having gameplay systems that you need to master yourself like in MH. The latter, I feel like, if left alone for more than a week, I come back to it and feel rusty. Toukiden, I picked up the bow and instantly knew which button did what, etc. I don't know if I am being very clear here.

bobohoro

What I like about Toukiden is its simplicity. It doesn't try hard to give you all of this depth. All it does is give you a weapon, with a somewhat simple string of combos, and off you go. Mitamas make the gameplay a lot deeper, but this happens under the hood, rather than having gameplay systems that you need to master yourself like in MH. The latter, I feel like, if left alone for more than a week, I come back to it and feel rusty. Toukiden, I picked up the bow and instantly knew which button did what, etc. I don't know if I am being very clear here.

Naw, I understand completely. It is simple, sometimes even mindless fun, but still has that layer of depth underneath that comes from preparing your battle setup. It really is similar to Musou games in that regard. And heck, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'll be there day 1 even after the slight dissapointment with the demo. Mitama setups, Tenkos and Nagi/Oka alone are reason enough. :D

Naw, I understand completely. It is simple, sometimes even mindless fun, but still has that layer of depth underneath that comes from preparing your battle setup. It really is similar to Musou games in that regard. And heck, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'll be there day 1 even after the slight dissapointment with the demo. Mitama setups, Tenkos and Nagi/Oka alone are reason enough. :D

That's exactly it, yes you nailed it. It's a Musou mixed with hunting/loot elements, it isn't a hardcore hunting game like MH. I might buy it too since I have the credits for it, it's a really fun pick-up-and-play fast paced game, I can do well without having to try my damnest too. If I want the real deal in hunting, I always have MH.

Parakeetman

That's exactly it, yes you nailed it. It's a Musou mixed with hunting/loot elements, it isn't a hardcore hunting game like MH. I might buy it too since I have the credits for it, it's a really fun pick-up-and-play fast paced game, I can do well without having to try my damnest too. If I want the real deal in hunting, I always have MH.

No its not Musou. People really need to stop trying to compare everything to Musou when it comes to Koei...

Top Bottom