• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | March 2015

No its not Musou. People really need to stop trying to compare everything to Musou when it comes to Koei...

I did not say it was a Musou, a Musou is a game in which you go in a huge field and you beat the living shit out of hundreds of dumb enemies, it has nothing to do with the game being made by Tecmo or not. Toukiden PLAYS like a Musou, it's gameplay roots come from their previous games, sure, it's fast and it's easy to pick up and play, the maps are like other hunting games in which you have small fields with a few enemies or big monster to take down. Now, there's no depth in its gameplay like there is in MH and that's fine, there's no intricacies with, just as an example, sharpening your tools, or choosing the right coating for your arrows, etc. The game has its own identity by borrowing its fast gameplay from their previous titles while incorporating elements from hunting games, one would expect.

Shizuka

My new Vita-2000 arrived today. Box is new, accessories and manuals are new, Vita-2000 has the same HORI filter I had applied on the one with the dead pixel. Now I'm not sure if he fixed it and send it back in a new box or if I'm blind and there isn't a filter on it.

Dorarnae

I thought the second game was just more of the same compared to the second one. Why is it worse than the first one?

not a huge diversity of music in the game, the intro music is nice but rest kinda sucks. there's like 3-4 song for all the 15 ish chapter.
first game had something new in each dungeon, this kept the gameplay fresh...but in this one it's just roam and when you meet a monster, you transform,kill it and then come back human to keep your tp...
not that many items laying around in the dungeon.(if I compare to the first game or sorcery saga). and couple other things.

this is a good review...
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/17/the-awakened-fate-ultimatum-something-completely-different/

autoduelist

Finally got Akiba Strip, Freedom Wars, Virtua Tennis 4 and ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 plus physical editions for vita and pstv. At a total of $45 for all of them. Thank God for CAG.

Where is Virtual Tennis 4 on sale? i think that game is the longest running wishlisted native vita game for me.

Did someone say Nocturne?
tumblr_m9kz5monoC1qm8nv9o1_1280.jpg

I haven't reached this fucker yet and the game's already kicking my ass haha.

keep fusing. the game shouldn't really be too difficult till you hit him. He -is- a wall though. Watch his patterns and learn to buff/debuff/clear buffs... some people grind to beat him and if you try that you'll be there forever.

Damn, there's so much more, but this I feel is already too much to read for you guys lol. Sorry aha.

no, i like hearing about it. i haven't watched anything on it, but i'm someone who absolutely loves the beauty in ffxiii's combat system (the automation of all things rote in turn based combat, and making it meta, focusing on tactical timing).

wielding multiple large weapons as per your description sounds odd to me (how would you switch so fast?!) but from a gameplay perspective it sounds like it could be very cool. and it sounds like you love it, which is all the better.

no, i like hearing about it. i haven't watched anything on it, but i'm someone who absolutely loves the beauty in ffxiii's combat system (the automation of all things rote in turn based combat, and making it meta, focusing on tactical timing).

wielding multiple large weapons as per your description sounds odd to me (how would you switch so fast?!) but from a gameplay perspective it sounds like it could be very cool. and it sounds like you love it, which is all the better.

One of Noctis' ability is to warp weapons out of thin air. This is older footage, but this way you won't get spoiled on the demo, it's slowed down so you can see him summoning the swords:
1371030621-weapons-cycling.gif

Shizuka

not a huge diversity of music in the game, the intro music is nice but rest kinda sucks. there's like 3-4 song for all the 15 ish chapter.
first game had something new in each dungeon, this kept the gameplay fresh...but in this one it's just roam and when you meet a monster, you transform,kill it and then come back human to keep your tp...
not that many items laying around in the dungeon.(if I compare to the first game or sorcery saga). and couple other things.

this is a good review...
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/17/the-awakened-fate-ultimatum-something-completely-different/

That's not good, I don't know what's up with NIS lately.

VLiberty

Rocketbirds is legit good, a great modern take on the cinematic platformer/adventure genre.
Though I wish the puzzles were a bit less easy. But I think I'm still at 50/60% through, maybe they get tougher later on.

They're cross buy for those ones then? I just got the PS3 collection which only has physical for GOW 1-3 and digital only for Ghost/Chains, don't think they were cross buy either. I wanted the pretty more than the portable anyway though.

I've been meaning to give it another shot, I only got ah hour or two in before I gave up and started Ghost (which I proceeded to marathon)

Well, you actually got halfway through Chains :lol

bobohoro

No its not Musou. People really need to stop trying to compare everything to Musou when it comes to Koei...

Eh, you're quoting out of context. It was compared to a musou because of the rather shallow battle gameplay, compared to MH, that is given depth by the pre-battle setup options. Mitamas function quite similary to weapon skills in a way.

Now I do agree that the rampant practice of calling everything Koei a musou is pretty annoying, was pretty weird in all the DQ Heroes threads. But I can't be too mad about it, since it seems that the term has a way more positive notion for many, and is coming up more frequently, than in the past several years. Musou is the new open world.

RK128

Okay, so I beat the first dungeon in Nocturne and got through the first half hour of so in SP: Stick of Truth.....both are great so far :D.

The former just rocks all around :D. Fantastic looking main character and I just love how he joins into the fight; you don't summon demons to help you out like in the Persona games, nope.
The world ends with you and your friends in a hospital, you are forced into eating something turning you into a demon, and you can just punch the living shit out of other demons while also recruiting them Pokemon-style to fight alongside in fights....
This game is just fantastic with that concept alone :D. Also love how even through the game is clearly very dark, the demons have such a great personality to them; the spirits in the intro dungeon have a lot of humor and the way you recruit the other demons into joining you is very complicated; some require you to talk to the demon with a specific one in your party, others will offer you money for letting them live, others will offer you items after beating them, and some will just flat out troll you in trying to get them (.....damn that Hana Poe; tried getting her twice into joining my party but both times she just ate up my items and money :().

Right now I just hovering the world map trying to find the next major area (none of the buildings are glowing like the first location....so I'm just getting into random fighters over and over till I figure stuff out :l), but I'm so glad I picked this up :).

With South Park, after playing it for only 10 minutes I just said "This game is amazing", simply from the humor and 1-to-1 recreation of South Park's world into gaming format. So many call-backs to past seasons and episodes (just looking in a Cartmans and Butters rooms put a smile on my face :')), the items you can get is just priceless (making your own crap and throwing it at a foe is just.....amazing XD!), the combat system is right up there for me with its Paper Mario/Mario RPG gameplay and the presentation itself is right out of a episode of the show.

For five dollars, I cannot stress enough how much of a great deal this game is :). If you enjoy the show or past seasons of it and are looking for a fun RPG, look no further then this gem of a game :D.

Edit: South Park: The Stick of Truth is now 20 bucks on PSN sadly :(. I guess the price drop yesterday was an error PSN made or something? Either way, sorry if this post mislead people on the games price :(. Still, for its 20 dollar price point, it still is a good deal and my thoughts still apply to the game despite its normal price :).

kevin1025

Banned
Okay, so I beat the first dungeon in Nocturne and got through the first half hour of so in SP: Stick of Truth.....both are great so far :D.

The former just rocks all around :D. Fantastic looking main character and I just love how he joins into the fight; you don't summon demons to help you out like in the Persona games, nope.
The world ends with you and your friends in a hospital, you are forced into eating something turning you into a demon, and you can just punch the living shit out of other demons while also recruiting them Pokemon-style to fight alongside in fights....
This game is just fantastic with that concept alone :D. Also love how even through the game is clearly very dark, the demons have such a great personality to them; the spirits in the intro dungeon have a lot of humor and the way you recruit the other demons into joining you is very complicated; some require you to talk to the demon with a specific one in your party, others will offer you money for letting them live, others will offer you items after beating them, and some will just flat out troll you in trying to get them (.....damn that Hana Poe; tried getting her twice into joining my party but both times she just ate up my items and money :().

Right now I just hovering the world map trying to find the next major area (none of the buildings are glowing like the first location....so I'm just getting into random fighters over and over till I figure stuff out :l), but I'm so glad I picked this up :).

With South Park, after playing it for only 10 minutes I just said "This game is amazing", simply from the humor and 1-to-1 recreation of South Park's world into gaming format. So many call-backs to past seasons and episodes (just looking in a Cartmans and Butters rooms put a smile on my face :')), the items you can get is just priceless (making your own crap and throwing it at a foe is just.....amazing XD!), the combat system is right up there for me with its Paper Mario/Mario RPG gameplay and the presentation itself is right out of a episode of the show.

For five dollars, I cannot stress enough how much of a great deal this game is :). If you enjoy the show or past seasons of it and are looking for a fun RPG, look no further then this gem of a game :D.

South Park is one great game. Obsidian made something special. I played through it on PC, though for $5 I'm slightly tempted to buy it again on PS3 to play during the summer. (I may or may not have a trophy addiction...)

v1perz53

South Park is one great game. Obsidian made something special. I played through it on PC, though for $5 I'm slightly tempted to buy it again on PS3 to play during the summer. (I may or may not have a trophy addiction...)

Played really well on PS3, one of the games I was happy to get the platinum in. Bit of advice though, make sure to follow a guide, pretty much every trophy is missable. Since you've played it already using a guide probably isn't out of the question.

As I said last time we talked about trophies, I love getting the platinum or 100% in a game I truly love playing, that way I can look back at my list in a few years and instantly know which games most held my attention. Currently attempting to do so in P4G, though unfortunately I'm not sure I have the mental fortitude to do both "hardcore Risette fan" and "max every social link" in one playthrough.

autoduelist

It only gets better. Some absolutely fantastic boss/subboss designs.

And... South Park is now $20. Your review got me to go buy it, and... nope, rejected.

RK128

It only gets better. Some absolutely fantastic boss/subboss designs.

And... South Park is now $20. Your review got me to go buy it, and... nope, rejected.

I'm checking PSN now to be sure of that.....right now, it states that the game costs 20 bucks :l....

I don't get it; Sony listed it as a price drop on the PS Blog, so this should be an official sale :(.

I'm really sorry man X(; thought it was a week-long sale, not a day long sale. Glad I got it when I did, but damn, that sucks for people wanting to check it out :(.

Going to edit my post to the proper price point to prevent further confusion. Sorry autoduelist for misleading you X(.

wilflare

I'm checking PSN now to be sure of that.....right now, it states that the game costs 20 bucks :l....

I don't get it; Sony listed it as a price drop on the PS Blog, so this should be an official sale :(.

I'm really sorry man X(; thought it was a week-long sale, not a day long sale. Glad I got it when I did, but damn, that sucks for people wanting to check it out :(.

Going to edit my post to the proper price point to prevent further confusion. Sorry autoduelist for misleading you X(.

woah wait so it was just a price mistake? :O

kevin1025

Banned
Played really well on PS3, one of the games I was happy to get the platinum in. Bit of advice though, make sure to follow a guide, pretty much every trophy is missable. Since you've played it already using a guide probably isn't out of the question.

As I said last time we talked about trophies, I love getting the platinum or 100% in a game I truly love playing, that way I can look back at my list in a few years and instantly know which games most held my attention. Currently attempting to do so in P4G, though unfortunately I'm not sure I have the mental fortitude to do both "hardcore Risette fan" and "max every social link" in one playthrough.

Yeah, I rarely go for the platinum in a game. I wish I did more, but some look to be incredibly daunting so I shy away. I have super easy platinums so far, and am currently going after the Far Cry 4 one. P4G looks to be a super guide-heavy one, I'm in my first playthrough of that game and am occasionally glancing at a guide to help build up social links I may have otherwise missed leveling at all. Hardcore Risette Fan, that would take some effort! You're right that it's a good way of seeing what games most hold your attention, the few I've gone for usually are the games I had no problem diving into for the long haul.

woah wait so it was just a price mistake? :O

Apparently so :( It's back to $29.99 in the store, but the Playstation Blog still currently has it listed under its Price Changes section. Hasn't been edited out yet.

Maid

Banned
But I can't be too mad about it, since it seems that the term has a way more positive notion for many, and is coming up more frequently, than in the past several years.

While it does appear much more frequently, I'm not seeing the "more positive notion" part. People always talk about Musou games as "braindead action games", with the exception of Zelda, I don't know why.

autoduelist

You didn't mislead me! i knew it was $5 on tuesday, and I knew there was a fair chance it was a price mistake. I just took too long to buy it -- your review put me over the edge, and they must have just corrected the mistake.

totally my doing, do not feel guilty at all.

RK128

You didn't mislead me! i knew it was $5 on tuesday, and I knew there was a fair chance it was a price mistake. I just took too long to buy it -- your review put me over the edge, and they must have just corrected the mistake.

totally my doing, do not feel guilty at all.

Okay, just thought I misled you or something; glad that wasn't the case :). I wonder if Sony will fix their 'mistake' and bring the price point back to 5 bucks; that WAS the price point on the PS Blog and they did mislead people into getting interested in the game with that price point (five bucks for a killer RPG? sounds good in my book :D!), so they could bring it back to five bucks tomorrow or something.

If they do fix the price or if you find a good deal on the game in a local GameStop or someplace, I hope you get it and enjoy it man :).

Shizuka

Not the only price mistake on a PSN this week. During the update, Brazil's PSN got Type-0 HD for half the MSRP for a few hours.

AsfaeksBR

My new Vita-2000 arrived today. Box is new, accessories and manuals are new, Vita-2000 has the same HORI filter I had applied on the one with the dead pixel. Now I'm not sure if he fixed it and send it back in a new box or if I'm blind and there isn't a filter on it.

Is the pixel still dead? If it isn't, it's probably a new Vita. But still, if it's the old one but fixed, you just saved your money on buying another filter. It's a win-win.

Been checking some Demon Gaze videos, looks pretty cool.
And also, any news on The Banner Saga on Vita? Would love to replay it!

Pachimari

Guys, I think I am re-buying a Vita-1000, after I sold the one I got from Sony last year duh. Have any great JRPG's come out for it in the past year (I got P4G)?

And where can a 64gb memory card be bought the cheapest? I also sold my memory card last year with all of my games.

SerTapTap

Guys, I think I am re-buying a Vita-1000, after I sold the one I got from Sony last year duh. Have any great JRPG's come out for it in the past year (I got P4G)?

And where can a 64gb memory card be bought the cheapest? I also sold my memory card last year with all of my games.

*arm rips off* And that's why...you don't sell consoles.

IMO, the two Neptunia games are great (and the spinoff SRPG Noire), but they focus more on humor and silly fun than standard adventure hero mysterious lands blah blah JRPG stuff. Very self aware and witty. But there's also a variety of other things, the Atelier games, Demon Gaze (and a couple other DRPGs--one coming out in April I think), Ys: Memories of Celceta if you missed it. Also you might have missed Dangan Ronpa 2 (not a JRPG at all but I highly recommend it regardless). Destroyer Trillion looks good so far, upcoming game.

If Rakuten is still offering $10 off of $30 for Visa members you can get a 64GB from them for $75 I think.

Pachimari

*arm rips off* And that's why...you don't sell consoles.
At the time my financials were in really bad shape, so I almost had no choice. And back then I didn't see a future for the platform and me, after Sony's statement that they wouldn't make any more AAA titles and that disappoints me to this day. But I'll try and get some unique Japanese games for it and a few indies which I also have on my PC. Spelunky and OlliOlli 2 for one.

Maid

Banned

Oreshika. For $20 and the amount of content it has, you can't go wrong with it. Although I feel like it's more of DRPG more than your traditional JRPG.

Also Tales of Heart R is pretty good from the feedback I got here. The rest you could look up from Sir Tap Tap's recommendation.

SerTapTap

At the time my financials were in really bad shape, so I almost had no choice. And back then I didn't see a future for the platform and me, after Sony's statement that they wouldn't make any more AAA titles and that disappoints me to this day. But I'll try and get some unique Japanese games for it and a few indies which I also have on my PC. Spelunky and OlliOlli 2 for one.

Ah, sorry to hear that. Spelunky should last you a good while! It's not for me but I can see the appeal--now Binding of Isaac, that's my stuff.

Oh right, Oreshika! And several hunting games if you consider them close enough, I liked Freedom Wars a ton (though it's certainly got notable flaws). I've been trying to avoid JRPGs actually because of time investment. ...not doing a great job of avoiding but still trying

Flunkie

Banned
Toukiden feels like a user friendlier MH. You have health bars on monsters for example, controls are much simpler too. I appreciate it for what it is, it isn't as hardcore as Monster Hunter and that's ok. I had forgotten how fast and fluid the gameplay was, coming from MH4 to the Kiwami demo I actually enjoyed it. Like I said before, the bow is a blast in this game aha.
What weapons are everyone using? I can't decide since I like everything so much.

I didn't want the demo to end. Demo was such a cocktease how you think you're about to fight a badass boss then nope! How do you get the special missions?

Has anyone played Jamestown+ yet? I loved the PC version. It's also a bit weird that the regular version is on PS+ discount whereas complete isn't.

Also, I don't see South Park for $5.

Maid

Banned
What weapons are everyone using? I can't decide since I like everything so much.

I didn't want the demo to end. Demo was such a cocktease how you think you're about to fight a badass boss then nope! How do you get the special missions?

Gun and Naginata. Probably trying out dual blades.

Go back to the start menu, you will see the special missions.

Shizuka

Is the pixel still dead? If it isn't, it's probably a new Vita. But still, if it's the old one but fixed, you just saved your money on buying another filter. It's a win-win.

Been checking some Demon Gaze videos, looks pretty cool.
And also, any news on The Banner Saga on Vita? Would love to replay it!

My problem with it is that I don't know if it has a filter applied or not. I don't know how to confirm it without taking it off in the first place. There isn't dead pixels, so I don't know. Weird place to be, Schrödinger's cat and all.

Also, BUY DEMON GAZE.

v1perz53

^ Edit: I know what you mean Shizuka. Typed this before even seeing what you wrote but it illustrates how invisible protectors can be on a Vita 2000!

Hmm a bit of an odd situation here, but I... can't get my Hori screen protector OFF my Vita. Applied it flawlessly back when I first got my Vita-2000 at launch, but a few days ago I noticed a scratch about a half inch long in the middle of the screen (glad I had a protector on!). Got a replacement screen protector but apparently I am the greatest applicator of all time because for the life of me I cannot find a seam to peel the old one off. Tried all the tricks, using tape, glue etc. but the thing wont budge! And yes, I know there is actually one on the vita, I can see the faintest seam on one edge but I can't get under it any appreciable amount. Scared to try anything that will damage the actual screen.

Not my best week with screen protectors, finally got one for my new 3DS XL and did everything right (wiped the screen, applied in the bathroom with the shower on to reduce dust) only to notice several large fibers under the screen that are very distracting when playing games. Ugh. Though I guess the current scratch on my Vita protector is proof enough that they are worth using. Maybe less so on a 3DS tho cause of the clamshell.

Chuy

One of Noctis' ability is to warp weapons out of thin air. This is older footage, but this way you won't get spoiled on the demo, it's slowed down so you can see him summoning the swords:
1371030621-weapons-cycling.gif
That gif is making it really hard not to go out FF type-0 and get right now for the demo despite not owning a ps4.
I should probably give up hope SE is going to release it as a stand alone demo shouldn't i?

$81 at play-asia is the cheapest i could find.

v1perz53

That gif is making it really hard not to go out FF type-0 and get right now for the demo despite not owning a ps4.
I should probably give up hope SE is going to release it as a stand alone demo shouldn't i?

I think they straight up said that the demo would never be available in any way other than through first print editions of Type-0 HD. Not that they have never lied before, but from my recollection it was a pretty firm statement of "if you don't get a day 1 copy of Type-0 (or a code from someone) you will never play this demo".

JoRo

Has anyone else noticed the PS3 store crashing after just a couple minutes of use? I downloaded the latest update, and it just crashes to the XMB after a little while. I always use the PC store, but there are some things that you can only see and download from the PS3 store, such as wallpapers. I really wish they would go back to the simple tiles from a while back. :(

Tizoc

Has anyone else noticed the PS3 store crashing after just a couple minutes of use? I downloaded the latest update, and it just crashes to the XMB after a little while. I always use the PC store, but there are some things that you can only see and download from the PS3 store, such as wallpapers. I really wish they would go back to the simple tiles from a while back. :(

Can't you access wallpapers from the Download list?
Why not try that new javascript for PSN Downloads
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985754

EDIT: Top of the page!
Go get Brandish, secret PSP/Vita GotY contender!

Top Bottom