• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | November 2014

bobohoro

This year had so many amazing Vita games, yet I can't just choose one as my GOTY. Isn't that really weird or is it just me?

That's because WiiU had even better games, right? My 2014 purchases also consist of more than 50% Vita games, and while I enjoeyed most of them, probably none will be in my Top-5 at the end of the year.

My Vita GOTY list isn't done yet, but currently it looks like this:
Danganronpa 2
Danganronpa
Final Fantasy X HD
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Child of Light
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragments
Entwined
Murasaki Baby
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (Haven't really played it much though)
Final Fantasy X-2 HD

jvm

Gamasutra.
Played some of the Axiom Verge demo on a PS4 demo system at Target. Pretty interesting game -- was disappointed to find it isn't out yet, nor is the demo generally available.

As for GOTY candidates so far, I realize that this just shows how much I differ from the regulars here. List in alphabetical order...
- Counterspy
- Crimsonland
- Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition
- Killzone Mercenary
- Luftrausers
- Pix the Cat
- Stick it to the Man
- Steamworld Dig
- TxK

It's kind of nutty how much time I've put into Crimsonland.

redcrayon

Danganronpa 2 was my Vita's GOTY.
Either Persona Q or Pokemon ORAS will be my 3DS' GOTY.

My Vita GOTY shortlist is currently Ys: MoC and Rogue Legacy, although I'm waiting for Tales and a couple more indies too.
My 3DS shortlist is currently EO untold, Shovel Knight and Fantasy Life, although I'll give Persona Q a go too.

igor

Call me how you want but to me real "Art" died loooooooong time ago, anyone saying that art doesn't need a fair amount of skill and aesthetic(that doesn't mean beautiful) but just needs to be "interesting" is straight trying to sell you poop(for very high price)
menos01_manzoni2-150x150.jpg

(do anyone find a box of poop interesting?)

Real "Art" is like (instrumental)music, is universal, doesn't need instruction booklets or someone that explains to you why it's "beautiful", "art" or "interesting".

EDIT:
just to be clear i'm not talking about BOI(i like its aesthetics) but "Art" in general.

Neither the art galleries nor artists themselves would give you an "instruction manual" because it's condescending to your audience. If you don't get modern art or, which is probably more often a case, you flat out refuse to get it, then it's your problem. People feel very righteous about it but somehow their knowledge of art stops at impressionism, if that.

We are not living in sixteenth century anymore, civilisations develop and so the taste and thinking behind art and music. We have now computers, planes, internet, ps vitas. Do you really expect art won't develop?

As art have developed we have become much more intelligent at expressing abstract ideas, concepts and qualities. And if you can express the idea with a ready made or found objects or a simple installation better than the most skilled craftsman then good for you. Why would you slave away at a painting for weeks if a good photograph can make an even stronger impact? See the difference between art and craft? Just because something requires skill doesn't mean it becomes art instantaneously.

I'm not too bad at drawing or crafts myself, but I do realise that with practice, any halfwit can draw well. There are artists that commission crafstmen to actually make the pieces so that their concept can be conveyed in the best way. If anything, it allows now young people who are just graduated or are graduating to present their fresh and new challenging ideas to people.

And it's not like that good artists just sit there, sending people to do their own work. A lot of them are very crafts orientated anyway and devote a lot of time to push the limits of the materials, even if for a lay man it doesn't show. But one person can't do everything all by themselves, times are different.

But if modern art is making you uncomfortable or make you enough violent to call it shit without much of understanding of it, then maybe it's the proof that it works on you more than you realise?

The problem is people prefer to call all of modern art shit and not even try to challenge to differentiate between the good or bad. There's also art that will make an impact on you depending on your own personal experiences. Because it's much easier to dismiss it saying how all of it is crap.

The image you showed is a work from 1960s. Its fricking 50 years old. What you are showing me is an old, tired idea.

It's a somewhat an overarching narrative to what gaming is and could be at the moment with gamer gate and all this bs. Change is good, people just need to take a fucking responsibility and differentiate between good and bad. But surely it's all too easy to be spoon fed opinions isn't it?

Neither the art galleries nor artists themselves would give you an "instruction manual" because it's condescending to your audience. If you don't get modern art or, which is probably more often a case, you flat out refuse to get it, then it's your problem. People feel very righteous about it but somehow their knowledge of art stops at impressionism, if that.

We are not living in sixteenth century anymore, civilisations develop and so the taste and thinking behind art and music. We have now computers, planes, internet, ps vitas. Do you really expect art won't develop?

As art have developed we have become much more intelligent at expressing abstract ideas, concepts and qualities. And if you can express the idea with a ready made or found objects or a simple installation better than the most skilled craftsman then good for you. Why would you slave away at a painting for weeks if a good photograph can make an even stronger impact? See the difference between art and craft? Just because something requires skill doesn't mean it becomes art instantaneously.

I'm not too bad at drawing or crafts myself, but I do realise that with practice, any halfwit can draw well. There are artists that commission crafstmen to actually make the pieces so that their concept can be conveyed in the best way. If anything, it allows now young people who are just graduated or are graduating to present their fresh and new challenging ideas to people.

And it's not like that good artists just sit there, sending people to do their own work. A lot of them are very crafts orientated anyway and devote a lot of time to push the limits of the materials, even if for a lay man it doesn't show. But one person can't do everything all by themselves, times are different.

But if modern art is making you uncomfortable or make you enough violent to call it shit without much of understanding of it, then maybe it's the proof that it works on you more than you realise?

The problem is people prefer to call all of modern art shit and not even try to challenge to differentiate between the good or bad. There's also art that will make an impact on you depending on your own personal experiences. Because it's much easier to dismiss it saying how all of it is crap.

The image you showed is a work from 1960s. Its fricking 50 years old. What you are showing me is an old, tired idea.

It's a somewhat an overarching narrative to what gaming is and could be at the moment with gamer gate and all this bs. Change is good, people just need to take a fucking responsibility and differentiate between good and bad. But surely it's all too easy to be spoon fed opinions isn't it?

This.
Thank you.

D'champ introduced the idea of "ready mades" in 1913 and over 100 years later people still think that art is about craftmanship. ;)

http://stuckismwales.co.uk/theory/tblast/significant.php

I know that this is completely off topic and this will be my last post on this subject.

TLDR: bad art can only exist on a subjective level as there is no scale to objectively determine the quality of a piece of Art.

Just remember it's a fanservice game, not much character development to be had :p

I'm just there for the ride. Seeing my favorite crew (P3) again in a new story, together with the P4 crew is just awesome. Apparently interactions are plentiful too, but this will be dropping when I start my finals... After I'm done those, I will be diving in :p sorry VitaBros, but I'm gonna have to give our little favorite console some rest then aha!

I think Demon Gaze will be my GOTY.

Fuck I totally forgot about that one! DR2, SAO:HF or Demon Gaze , one of these will for sure be my GOTY.

MQX

Don't know if VitaGAF has played these games, but:

Has anyone played Love Live School Idol Project Paradise and/or Girls und Panzer(both on the Vita)?

If so, are these games good/recommended? And can you play these games if you don't understand and read Japanese? :/

It' still in my backlog, won't be able to play it this year. Freedom Wars is also something I won't be able to play until next year :/

I feel like if anything, you should at least play Freedom Wars before the online community dies off. Some missions are so much easier with some match made companions.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Played some of the Axiom Verge demo on a PS4 demo system at Target. Pretty interesting game -- was disappointed to find it isn't out yet, nor is the demo generally available.

As for GOTY candidates so far, I realize that this just shows how much I differ from the regulars here. List in alphabetical order...
- Counterspy
- Crimsonland
- Killzone Mercenary
- Luftrausers
- Pix the Cat
- Stick it to the Man
- Steamworld Dig
- TxK

A distinct lack of Japanese games there. I like you.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

This.
Thank you.

D'champ introduced the idea of "ready mades" in 1913 and over 100 years later people still think that art is about craftmanship. ;)

http://stuckismwales.co.uk/theory/tblast/significant.php

I know that this is completely off topic and this will be my last post on this subject.

TLDR: bad art can only exist on a subjective level as there is no scale to objectively determine the quality of a piece of Art.

Don't be offended but you are ingenuous imo, you seem to not understand that money is behind everything.

Let's think of videogames, how many times a games was called a masterpiece by media and then it was bashed by gamers? Too often if you want my opinion.
Why that happens? Money obviously, around videogames there are huge financial interests so certain people would do anything to convince people to buy, but games ends in the hands of lots of gamers so no matter what "experts" say if a game is not a masterpiece it won't be.
If i want to know if a game is good i collect info and ask to other gamers, i cannot trust those who have financial interests.

Art is the same, around art there are financial interests too, i think that you are ingenuous because you think that money have nothing to do with art, you just trust everything expert say to you without doubting what they say.

If people can say that a movie, a song, a game etc is not art then why people can't say the same for a painting or a sculpture? Maybe you don't realize it but you are trying to convince people to not use their judgment, for you people should accept what someone decided to be art.

There's no relativity in art, you think that something can be art for me but not for you and vice-versa. That's not true! Timeless masterpieces are art because even when people not like or understand it they agree that those are art unlike modern art, often even after a guide explained why a certain piece is modern "art" people still thinks it's not art!
So who defines what is art? Neutral people or a bunch of people that have lots of financial interests in calling something art(experts, galleries, collectors etc)? The "old" definition of art is not convenient at all because only few are good enough to produce it and usually there's no big need of expert to explain or convince people, it doesn't create work, there's not enough money to gain.

And stop with this craftmanship bullshit, obviously art evolves and in fact i have never said you need to be Michelangelo or to stay years to make art, manual ability is not the only existing ability, but the only ability that a poop, a void box of shoes or other junk needed was the ability of trolling(and honestly i suspect that their authors made them to troll the art world to see how low it could go) and they are called art just because someone wanted to make money with those, i can see their authors laughing out loud thinking that their junk is called art and being sold for a big amount of money... well i don't need a lot of imagination since i saw it, in Italy there's an awesome irreverent show, one of its episodes was about modern art, IIRC one important artist laughing openly said that he don't do art but he does random things without any meaning or effort, experts call it art and he gains lots of money. ;)

ryseing

- Counterspy
- Crimsonland
- Killzone Mercenary
- Luftrausers
- Pix the Cat
- Stick it to the Man
- Steamworld Dig
- TxK

Counterspy is great. Just wish it didn't have framerate issues on Vita.

Valkyria

Banned
You do unlock a lot of stuff in BoI. You'll still need to find it in the basement, but there is a ton of 'progression' in the game if you look at it from a broader perspective. As for starting the game, there are also ways to improve that:
-there are ways to ensure far better stores
-there are many different characters to unlock, some with great starting weapons/different stats
-some more hidden starting bonuses to unlock that i won't spoil here.

Permadeath allows the game to always be balanced every time you play. If you kept the powerups of your choosing every playthrough, not only would the game quickly break because you'd be OP by game 3, but it would destroy the joy/despair of finding new powerups every game that greatly affect your play style.

I mean, I get that permadeath isn't for everyone, but it's definitely anything but 'boring'. Starting out OP every game would be boring imo.

Yes I should have worded better, it is not boring it just push away for the game. But of course to each his own.

Today I went to buy a vacuum clener and I took a peak at the Vita section (Media Markt Spain)

Hey SCEA, step up your game. Retail prices are not the best (well compared to the "big" consoles or 3DS they are) but the hardware and memory card bundles are pretty good value.

So I'm almost done with R&C3 Vita. Will probably do a couple more runs through before I put it down, but it's been good.

Been also playing MHFU and I'm at the Khezu... Which is ridiculous with longsword. I don't want to cheese it by ledging, and I'd like to use my longsword, but this is ridiculous.

My exams starts in less than a month, that's why I won't have time for it.

Don't even remind me, same here.

Quoting this from here, for some reason the screenshot gallery won't open for me: http://gematsu.com/2014/11/sword-art-online-lost-song-debut-screenshots

67 new images from upcoming PS3 and PS Vita game.

SAOLS_11-09-14.jpg

Bandai Namco has released the first set of direct-feed screenshots of Sword Art Online: Lost Song.

The images showcase the world of ALfheim Online—or more specifically, Svart ALfheim, an new continent made up of several floating islands on which the game is set. The first island is called Vorklinde, floating grassland where you’ll find windmills and other large structures.

You’ll also see the game’s 360-degree flight action battles. Players wil be able to fight freely in aerial battles just like the TV anime. You can fight on the ground, as well, and the transition between sky and ground battles is said to be “seamless.” In dungeons, ground-based battles are prevalent.

Also shown are parties and playable characters. Players can bring two other characters of their choosing into battle with them. And Kirito doesn’t have to be among them. Lost Song gives you the option to choose which character you play as. Characters shown in the screenshots include Kirito, Leafa, Asuna, Silica, and Lisbeth.

Sword Art Online: Lost Song is due out for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita in Japan on March 26.

maouvin

Wasn't Unity's Pre-Load supposed to go live today?

Just checked - the DLC (for pre-orders, maybe? Didn't know that) was already downloaded, but I had to manually begin the download for the game.
And there's already an update file, of course.

AsfaeksBR

Just checked - the DLC (for pre-orders, maybe? Didn't know that) was already downloaded, but I had to manually begin the download for the game.
And there's already an update file, of course.

Yes, there's a "30-minute of gameplay mission" exclusive for Pre-Orders. Downloading the game now.

autoduelist

My vita goty contenders --

Natural Doctrine -- my love for this original take on srpgs goes deep.
TxK -- perhaps the best vita exclusive, pure bliss
Crimsonland -- truly refined dual stick shooter goodness
Demon Gaze -- for reminding me how much I like dungeon crawlers. It's far from perfect, but i loved my time with it.

but I think it got stolen by....

Binding Of Issac -- it came out, what, last week? Feels like years ago, I've put so much time into it. I'm done around 15 of the 20 challenges, and have beat it many times. Every run is still exciting, and there's a huge amount of powerups I haven't even seen yet.
Isaac!
It's like Smash TV on acid, and I'd rather be playing more BoI than typing this.

Special mentions
-- remote playing Transitor. What a game.
-- Don't Starve and Road Not Taken, two games I put a lot of time into but have the itch to get back into
-- Frozen Synapse Prime, have only played on pc, but can't wait to dig back in on vita once I've cleared a few top priority games.

- Counterspy
- Crimsonland
- Killzone Mercenary
- Luftrausers
- Pix the Cat
- Stick it to the Man
- Steamworld Dig
- TxK

Looks like I need to check out Counterspy. I love Guac, Luft, and KZ too, though I think they were last year? Pix isn't doing it for me though, something about it just doesn't work for me (I think I just hate the way the time limit works)

MQX

I guess I'm now part of the Senran Kagura (GAF) family(or group?)....

My uncle was on vacation in the US. So I asked him if he could buy the Let's Get Physical Edition for me :p(had to pay him back, but it's better than importing it + waiting weeks for delivery :/)
And I don't know if I want to open it :/. Maybe I'm letting it sealed and wait for the sale(of the Digital version on the EU store). If I play the US Version, I can't use the DLC's :/.

delSai

Did any Ps4 Game drop in Price before it came out on Amazon? I remember getting 10 € for some Game, i think either Sleeping Dogs or PS Allstars. I don't really feel like paying 70 Euros for LBP3, and if the Price stays i guess i've to go Digital, that's 10 € cheaper :|

Okay. Beat the Khezu. Going to grind out ~200k bolts to finish my weapon collection in RC3, and then I'll probably go back to Demon Gaze and finish that.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Looks like I need to check out Counterspy. I love Guac, Luft, and KZ too, though I think they were last year? Pix isn't doing it for me though, something about it just doesn't work for me (I think I just hate the way the time limit works)
Counterspy has such style, and once you really get into it, it's fun. But don't expect weeks of play. More like days -- but really good days.

KZ was last year, but I got it this year on sale.

Luftrausers was this year.

Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition was this year on PS4. It was previously vanilla version on PSV.

As much as I don't wish anyone to be inconvenienced, if that kind of business model could lead to more physical releases on the hopes of fw sales, I'd be all for it.

Counterspy has such style, and once you really get into it, it's fun. But don't expect weeks of play. More like days -- but really good days.

KZ was last year, but I got it this year on sale.

Luftrausers was this year.

Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition was this year on PS4. It was previously vanilla version on PSV.

Does counterspy perform well technically? I thought I remembered it had a bunch of issues, but perhaps that was a prerelease build?

I'm near the end of P3P and have a question about the ending. Is there a true ending like in P4G? Specifically...

(spoilers follow...)
I saved Ryoji and I'm currently on Jan 3rd. Is there anything else I have to do before the end to get the true ending or do I just finish the game now? Thanks!

I'm near the end of P3P and have a question about the ending. Is there a true ending like in P4G? Specifically...

(spoilers follow...)
I saved Ryoji and I'm currently on Jan 3rd. Is there anything else I have to do before the end to get the true ending or do I just finish the game now? Thanks!
There are two endings, one for killing Ryoji (bad ending) and one for not killing him (good ending)

SerTapTap

As for GOTY candidates so far, I realize that this just shows how much I differ from the regulars here.

How much of the game was the demo? Was it the start or what? So glad/amazed to see something like Axiom Verge in a Target.

Those are some solid picks IMO

Hey SCEA, step up your game. Retail prices are not the best (well compared to the "big" consoles or 3DS they are) but the hardware and memory card bundles are pretty good value.

Ugh why are they still selling 4GB cards. Those are so useless. Even at launch I knew that wouldn't be enough.

I guess I'm now part of the Senran Kagura (GAF) family(or group?)....
senrankagura8msg2i7u44.jpg

My uncle was on vacation in the US. So I asked him if he could buy the Let's Get Physical Edition for me :p(had to pay him back, but it's better than importing it + waiting weeks for delivery :/)
And I don't know if I want to open it :/. Maybe I'm letting it sealed and wait for the sale(of the Digital version on the EU store). If I play the US Version, I can't use the DLC's :/.

Ouch, MQX put
tags around that picture to make it smaller, my phone literally stopped working for a good second there LOL.

Also, on topic, I'm debating whether to buy Tales of this week or not... Exams are coming soon, and I already have enough on my plate as is. Also, with Persona Q coming soon, I feel like I'm going to have my JRPG bases covered for a good while there... I might have to skip on this one for a while. Impressions seem to be very lukewarm, but then again, so are they with all other Tales games...

Top Bottom